[ 9/10 - 9/16 ] Weekly Ralis Conundrum! #4: A Colorful Conundrum - Conundrum event archive - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo

[ 9/10 - 9/16 ] Weekly Ralis Conundrum! #4: A Colorful Conundrum

60 replies to this topic

#1 Ralis

Ralis

[TOS] The Man Trap

• VMod Retired
  • 6982 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Classic

Posted 06 September 2014 - 09:08 PM

SmokieIdea_zps9afed806.pngThe Ralis ConundrumSmokieConfused_zps942a489a.png

School is starting up again, and that means it's time to get your brain back in shape!

Every Wednesday, at some varying point of the day, I'll be posting some sort of weekly challenge for you to figure out. Each week brings a new puzzle: it may be a math problem, a riddle or something else entirely. Whatever it may be, you'll have to use a little (or a lot of) brain power to figure it out.

The competition is open to both servers! Chaos Renewal and Classic Loki players may both enter their answers. It may help you to know, then, that the answer to each challenge will be something that can be found on both servers.

Correct answers may win a prize at the end of the week. However, only a certain number of prizes can be given out each week and all correct answers are entered into the prize pool. Please do not try and use multiple accounts to get better odds! We check IPs and account connections. If you're caught doing this, you will be automatically disqualified from present and future competitions.

Please do not post or PM your answers. Use the link below the challenge to submit answers!

Keep in mind that you only get one try; once you have submitted an answer, it is considered final!

Please do not ask questions related to this week's challenge on the forums. Questions regarding the competition as a whole are fine, but we want to avoid any hints or answers being posted directly on the forums!

PoringDivider.png

SmokieIdea_zps9afed806.pngThis Week's ChallengeSmokieConfused_zps942a489a.png

RalisConundrum4_zps585d69c4.png

While investigating Juperos, you find the above symbol on what appears to be a large door. No matter how much you push and pull at the door, however, it simply will not open. That's when you notice the keypad next to the door, as well as the plaque attached to the wall above it. Engraved into the plaque are these sets of numbers:

12065, 7422
12269, 7445, 715
505, 990, 10015, 7452
5237, 511, 7286, 508, 617
5232, 7441, 620, 4198, 503, 7034

The keypad has five flashing asterisks in its display, indicating it needs a five digit password. Surely, you think, the numbers and the strange symbol on the door must be connected in some way... Perhaps the numbers stand for something? You resolve to find the password and find out what lies beyond the door.

What is the five-digit password?

Disclaimer:

Spoiler

Click Here To Submit Your Answer

This week's prize:

IncubusEgg_zps00091858.png

Miyabi Doll Egg

The competition ends Tuesday, September 16th at 11:59 PM PST! Good luck!

PoringDivider.png

Edited by Ralis, 16 September 2014 - 04:29 PM.

#2 Ralis

Ralis

[TOS] The Man Trap

• VMod Retired
  • 6982 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 06 September 2014 - 11:18 PM

SmokieIdea_zps9afed806.pngLast Week's ChallengeSmokieConfused_zps942a489a.png

ZGang_zps29c3955c.png

While attempting to break into a safe on a recent heist, the Z Gang were stumped by the clues to the vault's combination.
That's where you come in, though! They've offered to give you a handsome reward if you can figure out the correct sequence to open the lock. They hand you a note, presumably with directions to unlocking the safe:

The vault combination is a four digit number. These clues will help you find it:

1. The third number is even, and the digital root of all four numbers is 6 (Ex. 1234: 1+2+3+4=10, 1+0=1, Digital Root=1).

2. The third number is the product of the first and second numbers, and all four numbers are in descending order (Ex. 9831, 7542, 5421, etc.).
3. The fourth number is the sum of the second and third numbers, and no number repeats (Ex. 1111, 1661, 4545, etc. are not possible).
4. The second number is prime, and three of the numbers are in consecutive order (Ex. 123x, x987, 765x, etc.).

Only three of the above numbered statements are true.

The Z-Gang also tells you that they've already tried all solutions that include 0 but were unsuccessful, so the vault combination must only use the numbers 1 through 9.

What is the four-number combination?

Last week's prize:

RagScarf_zpsdf42c6ae.png

Gangster Scarf

PoringDivider.png

SmokieIdea_zps9afed806.pngThe SolutionSmokieConfused_zps942a489a.png

The combination is 6549.

The first step, of course, is to weed out the false statement. This was fairly simple to do once you read and thought about the statements. Each of them makes sense, except for statement #2, which contradicts itself:

2. The third number is the product of the first and second numbers, and all four numbers are in descending order (Ex. 9831, 7542, 5421, etc.).

It is impossible for all numbers to be in descending order when the third number is the product of the first and second numbers, as this would naturally make the third number larger than one (or both) of the first two numbers.

RCSolution3_zpsd74961b3.png

Now that we know which statement is false, we can begin to look at what we know is true and write out possible numbers. To start out with, we know that the third number is even and that the second number is prime. We can write out all of these possibilities, as I've done in the example above. This is where a lot of you tripped up: 1 is not a prime number (9123 was the second most popular answer). If you need explanations for why, the internet has several... But moving on!

We also know that three of the numbers have to be in consecutive order and that no number repeats, so we can strike anything off the list that does not have two numbers that are next to each other. Another hint states that the fourth number is the sum of the second and third numbers, so we can go ahead and strike another half of the numbers off the list because they are too large to add together.

Now it's simply a matter of placing the correct consecutive number at the beginning and finding which number has a digital root of 6.

4+3+2+5=14     1+4=5

2+3+4+7=16     1+6=7

6+5+4+9=24     2+4=6

Only one number fits the bill, and it is 6549.

Looks like I need to make things a little more difficult: 54 people submitted correct answers! However, only five prizes can be given out. This week's winners, chosen randomly by survey number, were:

renouille, Chrispy, Pocky, yohjhoy and CrimsonHaddum!

Congratulations!

Please check your mail or inventory on the character you listed on the answer page after next week's maintenance for your prize. If you need assistance with prizes, please PM Oda.

PoringDivider.png

Edited by Ralis, 09 September 2014 - 10:14 PM.

#3 Ralis

Ralis

[TOS] The Man Trap

• VMod Retired
  • 6982 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 09 September 2014 - 10:15 PM

Lots of correct answers last week! Congrats to the winners, sorry to everyone else! D:

I'm gonna try and make things a little more difficult. As such... I didn't give a whole lot of direction on this one. ^_^

Edited by Ralis, 09 September 2014 - 11:29 PM.

#4 amarande

amarande

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 01:49 AM

I hate you ralis xD.... sent in an answer but am unsure about this weeks one ^_^  nicely done on the question

think i got all the basics down to figure it out....we shall see... lol

Edited by amarande, 10 September 2014 - 01:50 AM.

#5 Pocky

Pocky

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 94 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 10 September 2014 - 01:53 AM

mush difficult, mush puzzled

#6 Razzez

Razzez

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 7119 posts
  • LocationUSA, Texas
  • Server:Chaos when no Time Gaps

Posted 10 September 2014 - 03:50 AM

Congrats to the winners!

I like this weeks prize.

I'll have to figure out where the heck this is I guess. I don't think I've been to Juperos before. This is also good to get people to explore new maps ;)

#7 KriticalAssassin

KriticalAssassin

They pay me to post.

• RO Fungineering
  • 9312 posts
  • LocationBehind you?
  • Server:Chaos- Renewal

Posted 10 September 2014 - 04:44 AM

I actually got the concept of this one really quickly, but in the end I felt like there were a couple answers possible D:

#8 amarande

amarande

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 05:00 AM

I actually got the concept of this one really quickly, but in the end I felt like there were a couple answers possible D:

^This, at first i thought a few of them were possible...had to do more puzzling to eventually get 1 (hopefully i got it right lmao.)

knowing me i've really over thought it and come up with something purely wrong ^_^ (though i did get last weeks right :D)

Edited by amarande, 10 September 2014 - 05:03 AM.

#9 Necrohealiac

Necrohealiac

10,000 posts and not even a Tiki-Shirt.

• Members
  • 13389 posts
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 10 September 2014 - 05:01 AM

what is this i don't even.

#10 KriticalAssassin

KriticalAssassin

They pay me to post.

• RO Fungineering
  • 9312 posts
  • LocationBehind you?

Posted 10 September 2014 - 05:03 AM

^This, at first i thought a few of them were possible...had to do more puzzling to eventually get 1 (hopefully i got it right lmao.)

I mean I KNOW, for a fact that I did it right, but there were still multiple answers to choose from D: Idk how I was supposed to pick what 1 it was, so I kinda had to make a decision on 1 of them.

#11 amarande

amarande

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 05:06 AM

lol should PM each other see what we got...then totally cry when they are horrifically different :D .. joking btw would prob get shouted at by the ralis for doin so :D

*EDIT* Plus i just realized Ive deleted my notes T_T

Edited by amarande, 10 September 2014 - 05:10 AM.

#12 KriticalAssassin

KriticalAssassin

They pay me to post.

• RO Fungineering
  • 9312 posts
  • LocationBehind you?

Posted 10 September 2014 - 05:47 AM

lol should PM each other see what we got...then totally cry when they are horrifically different :D .. joking btw would prob get shouted at by the ralis for doin so :D

*EDIT* Plus i just realized Ive deleted my notes T_T

Well, we both submitted answers already, so as long as other people didn't know....but idk, dieing to talk about it with somebody T-T

#13 Ralis

Ralis

[TOS] The Man Trap

• VMod Retired
  • 6982 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 10 September 2014 - 07:08 AM

There's only one possible answer.

Razzez: You don't need to go to Juperos... It's just theming instead of saying "HERE'S A PUZZLE, SOLVE IT". xD

#14 spikexp

spikexp

Too Legit To Quit

• Banned
  • 2181 posts
  • Server:Chaotic

Posted 10 September 2014 - 08:47 AM

54 people submitted correct answers! However, only five prizes can be given out. This week's winners, chosen randomly by survey number,

Well damn. I'm never gonna win this. RNG Goddess hates me.

#15 KriticalAssassin

KriticalAssassin

They pay me to post.

• RO Fungineering
  • 9312 posts
  • LocationBehind you?

Posted 10 September 2014 - 08:48 AM

There's only one possible answer.

Aha! Now I feel more confident about the answer I chose because I saw another "pattern" in there.

#16 Razzez

Razzez

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 7119 posts
  • LocationUSA, Texas

Posted 10 September 2014 - 09:27 AM

Razzez: You don't need to go to Juperos... It's just theming instead of saying "HERE'S A PUZZLE, SOLVE IT". xD

Yeah I do since I haven't hunted there yet :P

This one is more confusing now :xd

#17 LoveIsBlue

LoveIsBlue

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 09:46 AM

weird puzzle
random numbers and a strange symbol
can you give us a hint?

#18 Ralis

Ralis

[TOS] The Man Trap

• VMod Retired
  • 6982 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 10 September 2014 - 09:47 AM

No additional hints, sorry!

#19 Ralis

Ralis

[TOS] The Man Trap

• VMod Retired
  • 6982 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 10 September 2014 - 10:12 AM

CRAP.

Once again another mistake was made... One number was incorrect.

I don't know how, though, since it's correct in the document I copy and pasted from. >_>

Anyone that has already sent in answers feel free to PM me with a revised answer if this changes anything for you.

#20 Necrohealiac

Necrohealiac

10,000 posts and not even a Tiki-Shirt.

• Members
  • 13389 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 10:24 AM

this changes everything!

#21 amarande

amarande

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 10:35 AM

CRAP.

Once again another mistake was made... One number was incorrect.

I don't know how, though, since it's correct in the document I copy and pasted from. >_>

Anyone that has already sent in answers feel free to PM me with a revised answer if this changes anything for you.

*shakes head slowly* for shame ralis...for shame xD

#22 Ralis

Ralis

[TOS] The Man Trap

• VMod Retired
  • 6982 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 10 September 2014 - 10:41 AM

*shakes head slowly* for shame ralis...for shame xD

No I mean literally... I noticed and fixed the same exact mistake before this went live. I don't know how it got reverted back to the old incorrect version. ;_;

Actually it doesn't really change much of anything anyway but yeah

Edited by Ralis, 10 September 2014 - 10:42 AM.

#23 Razzez

Razzez

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 7119 posts
  • LocationUSA, Texas

Posted 10 September 2014 - 11:44 AM

No I mean literally... I noticed and fixed the same exact mistake before this went live. I don't know how it got reverted back to the old incorrect version. ;_;

Actually it doesn't really change much of anything anyway but yeah

Another rollback when they did maintenance :hmm:

P.S. Trying to figure this one out is hurting my head :P

Edited by Razzez, 10 September 2014 - 11:46 AM.

#24 Ralis

Ralis

[TOS] The Man Trap

• VMod Retired
  • 6982 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 10 September 2014 - 07:17 PM

Glad you like. :) Enjoy!

#25 Spooky34

Spooky34