21 replies to this topic

#1 Nereida

Nereida

Too Legit To Quit

• Members - No Sig
  • 1107 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online 2

Posted 21 September 2014 - 04:27 AM

Since sometimes I'm not a very smart people, for my SM I just copied an outdated build from the archive.

Now I see that while I'm virtually immortal for all daiy uses, my damage is quite subpar. I want to be useful in a party, but I don't want to be as strong as a spoon when I solo.

QgS1EHK.jpg

Both skills hiden in the lower part are both level 1.

I was thinking about taking 4 points from that soul something (the first skill with the long cast time and really short debuff) and invest them in soul exortion since that's really the skill that I use the most.

Then I know I'll need a higher level of cure and maybe healing skills as well. For that I suppose I can use those 20 ML skill points, but I think higher levels for mental breakdown and soul exortion are a good idea too. I've never used links consistently, so taking some points from them might be a good idea... or maybe not? I've heard other SM talking about links, so they must still have a reliable use.

The AoE skill after soulmate awaken will be gone, of course. It's no better than combining other skills.

As a side note, I've spent almost all my leveling stat points on INT. I hope they aren't wasted.

#2 aoi911

aoi911

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 178 posts
  • Server:Odin

Posted 21 September 2014 - 05:24 AM

You can remove the second link i think, it link only to 1 people only ( if you still want link~) . For me, soul extinction really useless unless they change the dot description. Second thing, why don't u max all buff? oO

#3 Nereida

Nereida

Too Legit To Quit

• Members - No Sig
  • 1107 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 05:36 AM

I didn't max the crit buff because I mispent its point in the AoE skill, forgetting that I already had death spell (at least I could complete that khara). As for cure, I was too busy spending points on links and offensive skills.

Now I'm trying to figure out whether maxing mental breakdown and soul exortion is worth the points or if they're fine at 5.

Edited by Nereida, 21 September 2014 - 05:42 AM.

#4 aoi911

aoi911

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 06:05 AM

http://www.roguard.n...0155000012a000/

This is my SM's built right now. I'm so lazy to level her though :'(

#5 rerp

rerp

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 283 posts
  • Server:Freyja 9

Posted 21 September 2014 - 06:12 AM

MB gets really strong past 5. If you're not maxing both MB and S.Extortion, I'd go with max MB at least?

Edit:

^ Pretty similar to the build I'm running with now, but:

1. Only 1 level on Restoration

2. MB at 10

Is Extortion really important? Besides the movespeed debuff, I hate how it ends if the main target dies, which is inconvenient. Forces you to switch to the less damaged targets.

Edited by rerp, 21 September 2014 - 06:17 AM.

#6 aoi911

aoi911

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 06:39 AM

Well, it will more useful in osiris or later ( and boss) and lesser SP than MB, but in condor and muka, mostly of time i use MB. That why i gave points to MB too :D

#7 rerp

rerp

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 283 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 06:54 AM

^ Because of the slow? I imagine the slow is really something important since you're going to trade off mobility for it, in that it channels and you're risking the sudden need to heal. Though you can just cancel, but still..

#8 aoi911

aoi911

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 07:16 AM

Nah SE can self heal per hit, and with same SP like MB, SE can hit up to 4  or 5 hits to mobs.( i don't remember exactly).

#9 Nereida

Nereida

Too Legit To Quit

• Members - No Sig
  • 1107 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 08:32 AM

http://www.roguard.n...0155000012a000/

This is my SM's built right now. I'm so lazy to level her though :'(

Oh, looks like something I could use.

And I really should use these things, didn't realize how high you can go with all that just by removing links.

#10 aoi911

aoi911

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 08:49 AM

btw, one more thing , i bought 2 skill in this skill built to get more Mental breakdown ( get it when bully golem xD). So u can balance MB vs SE again :D

#11 Nereida

Nereida

Too Legit To Quit

• Members - No Sig
  • 1107 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 03:02 AM

Just adjusted it and... I didn't know that skills with increased skill levels don't get increased SP costs! I was scared that mental break was going to be prohibitely expensive.

#12 aoi911

aoi911

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 05:52 AM

They change from long time ago i think, all skill upgrade at ML ( all class) , SP consumed 10/10 = 5/10 for SE and MB and cure too~

#13 Greven79

Greven79

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1006 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 23 September 2014 - 08:43 AM

I'd prefer Mental Breakdown over Soul Extortion later on. The only true advantage of Extortion is the low SP requirement. But as soon as you get Osiris gear, that shouldn't be an issue anymore. The heal and the movement debuff isn't that bad, but there's currently no content to support that. On contrast, the Glass Mental Debuff helps a bit with your DPS, because it can eliminate the casting time of some other skills.

During the early ML grinding, you can 'cheat' yourself through the game just by spamming Cure. I maxed that skill and it recovered 4k HP per tick on ML1.

Casting Death Spell should already generates quite a decent DPS that can be improved, if you add a Mental Breakdown. BUT - and that should be the real source of complains here - players are able to kill mobs too fast. F.e. it took me ~3 MB hits to kill a Condor. In a group of 5 players, that's all too easy. Combined with the absurd heal amounts, it leads towards mass-mobbing, where players lure more than 20 foes at once. So maybe you could ask the devs how that's supposed to be cool or fair and why they implemented it this way? - Grinding in all respect, but stupid AoEing is the lamest possible thing.

#14 rerp

rerp

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 283 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 04:59 PM

^ These.

I'm hoping a future buff that lets SE and MB get cast simultaneously. To not make SE obsolete at later levels. I actually believe the DPS difference will get bigger as you get access to higher Haste and lower cooldowns. But I guess there are still situations where you'll need the slow 50%? The thing tho, is it's 50% at all levels. So you're really levelling it for the slow because when you cast the slow, you trade off DPS, so maxing it to 10 is so that you get back some of the lost damage.

I'm considering removing SE for links at a later level.

#15 4458130508113924833

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 411 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 08:04 PM

The slow on SE it's virtually useless because it's a channeled skill, so you have to be standing still while casting it.

#16 Greven79

Greven79

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1006 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 04:31 AM

The slow on SE it's virtually useless because it's a channeled skill, so you have to be standing still while casting it.

I guess that drawback is the reason why you get the slow and the heal in the first place.

And it isn't that useless in any case where a defensive strategy would outbeat an offensive one. However - as I already said - there is currently no content to support that. Just bring back some hard hitting adds like Kobugi or stunning / slowing adds like the bugs on Aromine // Pertus fights and you might see Soul Extortion more often.

BTW: Soul Extortion is one of the skills I'd prefer for the Priest // Crecentia rather than the Soulmaker. The latter is just too lively and the skill itself feels more like a 'Drain Life'.

#17 rerp

rerp

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 283 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 04:57 AM

There can be use for the slow if you're in a party fighting a boss that is melee, I guess. 

#18 4458130508113924833

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 411 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 06:26 AM

Yeah, maybe I was thinking on a pvp scenario, where not being mobile = death.

Still the heal seems overkill/unnecessary since it cure will cover you on that regard. I could see it working maybe on mass pvp when you can be at the back since you have insane range and not be targeted (unlikely since the debuff appears on their screen too).

Also bosses aren't affected by those kind of debuffs (except sins new grimtooth slow, maybe devs forgot to add boss immunity to it). Or like a mana saving strategy in a boss fight, but then you would lose those tasty Sacrifice procs. And in PVP you would lose the permasnare. So I'm kinda regretting spending 9 points in it. (Yeah maxed MB and SE like a retard)

#19 Greven79

Greven79

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1006 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 08:10 AM

Yeah, maybe I was thinking on a pvp scenario, where not being mobile = death.

That's true. Then even a 100% slow might not be enough.

Still the heal seems overkill/unnecessary since it cure will cover you on that regard.

That seems more like an issue of an overpowered Cure. Also keep in mind that these two skills are from a different 'tree'. So you could forgo the healing side (right) completely and still get a decent HP recovery skill. But who cares about 'sides', builds or inner-skill balance anymore?

#20 Nereida

Nereida

Too Legit To Quit

• Members - No Sig
  • 1107 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 11:55 AM

BTW: Soul Extortion is one of the skills I'd prefer for the Priest // Crecentia rather than the Soulmaker. The latter is just too lively and the skill itself feels more like a 'Drain Life'.

I take it as soul maker as being an expert in manipulating souls, be it breaking, infusing, extracting or moving (heck, they even rip a part of their own souls off to put it in a doll).

Or like a mana saving strategy in a boss fight, but then you would lose those tasty Sacrifice procs. And in PVP you would lose the permasnare.

In my experience, I always manage the timing in a way that sacrifice gets out of CD just an instant after SE is over.

#21 4458130508113924833

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 411 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 06:12 PM

That seems more like an issue of an overpowered Cure. Also keep in mind that these two skills are from a different 'tree'. So you could forgo the healing side (right) completely and still get a decent HP recovery skill. But who cares about 'sides', builds or inner-skill balance anymore?

Agreed. Also with the amount of skill points you get now, and the amount of skills with "situational" uses, it's hard for a supposedly support class to be hard wired to one role like back in the day when the difference between a full suport, hybrid or damage/pvp build had more substantial difference.

In my experience, I always manage the timing in a way that sacrifice gets out of CD just an instant after SE is over.

Yep. But the Glass Mental proc of Mental Breakdown gives quite a boost to Sacrifice's damage, specially if it crits, that's what I meant.

#22 Greven79

Greven79

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1006 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 01:54 PM

I take it as soul maker as being an expert in manipulating souls, be it breaking, infusing, extracting or moving (heck, they even rip a part of their own souls off to put it in a doll).

You only concentrate on one part of it. Even if I would fully agree on your conceptual statement about the soulmaker (I don't agree on the "rip apart souls" statement, because that sounds more like a Crecentia to me), it's also about the in-game realisation. In other words, it's not just about the name or visual effect of a skill, but also about the underlying mechanics and pecularities. That's why I said, that the Soulmaker is too lively in my opinion, to get rooted by a skill.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users