[ 11/5 - 11/11 ] Weekly Ralis Conundrum! #12: Wheel Difficult - Conundrum event archive - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo

[ 11/5 - 11/11 ] Weekly Ralis Conundrum! #12: Wheel Difficult

37 replies to this topic

#1 Ralis

Ralis

[TOS] The Man Trap

• VMod Retired
  • 6982 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Classic

Posted 03 November 2014 - 10:30 PM

SmokieIdea_zps9afed806.pngThe Ralis ConundrumSmokieConfused_zps942a489a.png

School has started up again, and that means it's time to get your brain back in shape!

Every Wednesday, at some varying point of the day, I'll be posting some sort of weekly challenge for you to figure out. Each week brings a new puzzle: it may be a math problem, a riddle or something else entirely. Whatever it may be, you'll have to use a little (or a lot of) brain power to figure it out. These puzzles may require knowledge outside of Ragnarok! Anyone is capable of finding the answer, but I cannot guarantee you will always know what to do if you have little to no understanding of Ragnarok, computers, math, science, etc.

The competition is open to both servers! Chaos Renewal and Classic Loki players may both enter their answers. It may help you to know, then, that the answer to each challenge will be something that can be found by players of both servers.

Correct answers may win a prize at the end of the week. However, only a certain number of prizes can be given out and all correct answers are entered into the prize pool. Please do not try and use multiple accounts to get better odds! We check account connections. If you're caught doing this, you will be automatically disqualified from present and future competitions... Including OTHER events on the forums as well.

Correct answers that are not chosen for the weekly prize will gain points depending on how many people get the correct answer! When you've saved up 20 points (points will be kept track in the 3rd post of each thread), you can PM me any time during the week to trade your points in for the current week's prize. You may only trade in points once a week for a single prize, so keep that in mind if you're trying to save up for a "better" prize. Winners of the weekly prize may PM me by the end of the week to opt out of the weekly prize, instead receiving he amount of points awarded as a participation prize for that week, up to a total of 20.

Please keep in mind that the theme for each week is not always a factor in figuring out the puzzle. This does not mean that it will never have an impact, but rather that you should not assume that you must travel to a location or that the answer must fit the theme given in that week's conundrum.

Please do not post or PM your answers. Use the link below the challenge to submit answers!

You may freely adjust your entry until each week's deadline.

Helpful links:

iRO Wiki

iRO Wiki Renewal Database

iRO Wiki Classic Database

Google

I don't consider search engines cheating. You will never find the answer directly, but always use your resources!

Please be cautious when asking questions about the puzzle of the week on the forums as they could end up being hints for others. You are always welcome to PM me with any questions you may have.

PoringDivider.png

SmokieIdea_zps9afed806.pngThis Week's ChallengeSmokieConfused_zps942a489a.png

Week 12: Wheel Difficult [ 11/5 - 11/11 ]

WheelofPuke_zpss3q7hitw.gif

Lately I've "spoke"n to a lot of people about puzzles being too easy and I'm getting "wheel" "tire"d of it, so this "round" is gonna be a little more difficult!

Starting on a specific letter, if you spin the wheel (pictured above) with the same amount of force every spin, you can form a 10-letter word, phrase or name from the world of Ragnarok. Assume that there is no variance in the strength of the spin, that there is no resistance to the spin and that all lettered sections are the same size.

What is the 10-letter word, phrase or name?

Click Here To Submit Your Answer

This week's prize:

Sunglasses_zps9e3d15f7.png

Sunglasses [1]

The competition ends Tuesday, November 11th at 11:59 PM PST! Good luck!

PoringDivider.png

Edited by Ralis, 04 November 2014 - 11:19 PM.

#2 Ralis

Ralis

[TOS] The Man Trap

• VMod Retired
  • 6982 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 04 November 2014 - 12:50 PM

SmokieIdea_zps9afed806.pngLast Week's ChallengeSmokieConfused_zps942a489a.png

Week 11: Nightmare on Elf Street [ 10/29 - 11/4 ]

Nightmare_zpsfb3a4736.png

Since the start of October, you've been having a terrible reoccurring dream.

It's always the same: your high school math teacher threatens to slice you to ribbons using his pointy elf-like ears unless you can solve the math problem he gives you in under thirty-one minutes. You stare at the paper on your desk in front of you, trying to make sense of all the numbers, letters and symbols, but it's just too much. Thankfully, each night you've woken up screaming after staring at the paper for some time... But each night, the dream goes on longer, and your evil elvish math teacher stalks closer and closer to your desk.

This may be your last chance, you realize. You have to solve the problem and defeat him, or risk dying in the dream... And maybe dying in the real world, too. You stare at the paper, determined to figure out the puzzle:

H = o

17 + y = a

e * 81 = H

p - y = e

H / y = l

a * w = 120

n - l = o

p * 5 = a

o + e = 10

w^2 = n

n / o = p

l - w = 21

H + a + p + p + y + H + a + l + l + o + w + e + e + n = ?

What is the answer to the evil math teacher's problem?

Last week's prize:

ElvenEars_zps232f93b9.png

Elven Ears [1]

PoringDivider.png

SmokieIdea_zps9afed806.pngThe SolutionSmokieConfused_zps942a489a.png

The answer is 320.

There's a lot of guessing and checking you could do to get started, but I think the easiest way to figure this puzzle out is to start with something that has the fewest possibilities.

H = o

o + e = 10

e * 81 = H

These three will help us get started. If o has to be less than 10 and is also the square root of H, the only possibilities would be:

4 = 2

√9 = 3

16 = 4

25 = 5

36 = 6

49 = 7

64 = 8

81 = 9

100 = 10

However, we also know that H has to be a multiple of 81, so we can only assume that H = 81, o = 9 and e = 1. Here's what we now know:

81 = 9

17 + y = a

1 * 81 = 81

p - y = 1

81 / y = l

a * w = 120

n - l = 9

p * 5 = a

9 + 1 = 10

w^2 = n

n / 9 = p

l - w = 21

Now we need to find how another few equations relate to each other:

p - y = 1

81 / y = l

n / 9 = p

w^2 = n

Based on these, we know that y has to be a factor of 81, which leaves a few possibilities: 1, 3, 9, 27 and 81. If y is one of those five numbers, p has to be one number higher which leaves five possibilities: 2, 4, 10, 28 and 82. Now plug these numbers into the third equation:

18 / 9 = 2

36 / 9 = 4

90 / 9 = 10

252 / 9 = 28

738 / 9 = 82

Based on the last equation, however, w is the square root of n, which means that the only possibility is

36 / 9 = 4. This means that p = 4, y = 3, l = 27, n = 36 and w = 6.

81 = 9

17 + 3 = a

1 * 81 = 81

4 - 3 = 1

81 / 3 = 27

a * 6 = 120

36 - 27 = 9

4 * 5 = a

9 + 1 = 10

6^2 = 36

36 / 9 = 4

27 - 6 = 21

There's only one letter left to figure out, and it's just a matter of simple math now. 17 + 3 = a, so a = 20. Now we just add up all the letters for "Happy Halloween"!

81 + 20 + 4 + 4 + 3 + 81 + 20 + 27 + 27 + 9 + 6 + 1 + 1 + 36

= 320

There were 74 correct answers this week (you guys wanted those slotted mids, didn't you?), and the five winners are:

reoick, riny, leafinwind, Tinatan and tsukinomori!

Congratulations!

Everyone else that answered correctly but did not get selected for the weekly prize have earned 1 point this week!

Please check your mail or inventory on the character you listed on the answer page for your prize. Please give Oda until next week's maintenance to deliver prizes! If you would like to opt to not receive this week's prize and instead receive points equal to the participation prize, please PM me before the end of the week.

PoringDivider.png

Edited by Ralis, 04 November 2014 - 11:11 PM.

#3 Ralis

Ralis

[TOS] The Man Trap

• VMod Retired
  • 6982 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 04 November 2014 - 03:53 PM

SmokieIdea_zps9afed806.pngScoreboardSmokieConfused_zps942a489a.png

These are the points players have earned so far. If you do not want your points displayed, PM me and I will keep track of them privately.

Spoiler

PoringDivider.png

SmokieIdea_zps9afed806.pngThis Week's BirthdaysSmokieConfused_zps942a489a.png

Happy Birthday to the Following Players:

05 Nero89
06 Drifts
08 Orath
08 Shuupi
09 Leyfa
10 D111
11 KiaMalificent
11 ChrisScribs

PoringDivider.png

SmokieIdea_zps9afed806.pngArchivesSmokieConfused_zps942a489a.png

Week 11: Nightmare on Elf Street [ 10/29 - 11/4 ]

Week 10: Ice Bin Challenge [ 10/22 - 10/28 ]

Week 9: Paradox [ 10/15 - 10/21 ]

Week 8: Scavenger Hunt [ 10/8 - 10/14 ]

Week 7: Pyramid Scheme [ 10/1 - 10/7 ]

Week 6: Where in the World [ 9/24 - 9/30 ]

Week 5: Trouble With Tiles [ 9/17 - 9/23 ]

Week 4: A Colorful Conundrum [ 9/10 - 9/16 ]

Week 3: Unlock the Safe [ 9/3 - 9/9 ]

Week 2: As The Kasa Flies [ 8/27 - 9/2 ]

Week 1: Mystery Picture [ 8/20 - 8/26 ]

PoringDivider.png

Edited by Ralis, 04 November 2014 - 11:53 PM.

#4 Ralis

Ralis

[TOS] The Man Trap

• VMod Retired
  • 6982 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 04 November 2014 - 11:17 PM

It will be a few minutes before points are updated to correct values for this week!

#5 renouille

renouille

Too Legit To Quit

• Public Security Section 9
  • 2448 posts
  • LocationUS
  • Server:retired

Posted 04 November 2014 - 11:27 PM

I feel like I did it the hard way.

Spoiler

Then there was the easy way.

Spoiler

#6 duomaxie

duomaxie

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 12:01 AM

Spoiler

Then there was the easy way.

Spoiler

This was how I did mine, plugged everything into excel and solve for what's missing, then went back and check the answers. There were a few of them that the answers were correct, like "a" and "w". And yes, there the prime factorization of 120 :D, from then on it was trail and error until you get the correct answers.

Screen_shot_2014_11_05_at_3_58_22_AM.png

Edited by duomaxie, 05 November 2014 - 12:07 AM.

#7 sb120495

sb120495

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2356 posts
  • Server:Renewal

Posted 05 November 2014 - 12:39 AM

The hard part is waiting a week to see the answer.

Also,are there bonuses for finding the answer early?

Edited by sb120495, 05 November 2014 - 12:42 AM.

#8 Saffire

Saffire

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 01:00 AM

^Nope. All is equal in the eyes of the random number generator

#9 darkabe

darkabe

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 01:02 AM

Good thing you fixed your phrasing there Ralis I was about to pm you to point it out ^^

now waiting for next week =(

Edited by darkabe, 05 November 2014 - 01:12 AM.

#10 Sizzleboom

Sizzleboom

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 500 posts
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 05 November 2014 - 01:06 AM

Heh. That image name. :heh:

Edited by Sizzleboom, 05 November 2014 - 01:06 AM.

#11 amarande

amarande

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 02:39 AM

Nice puzzle ralis :D thanks again, Answer sent :3

#12 Necrohealiac

Necrohealiac

10,000 posts and not even a Tiki-Shirt.

• Members
  • 13389 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 06:15 AM

whee.  this was a fun puzzle too :3

#13 laksalot

laksalot

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 62 posts
  • LocationEdge of the Abyss

Posted 05 November 2014 - 06:36 AM

Nah, algebra for the win!  It's also interesting that the simplest initial equation set actually has a second solution (H=8100, e=100, o=-90)., but these numbers fail when subbing into the other equations.

Edit:  It seems I also worked too hard on this.  "Principal" square root is not the same as square root.  (Thanks, ren.)

Edited by laksalot, 05 November 2014 - 12:39 PM.

#14 Ralis

Ralis

[TOS] The Man Trap

• VMod Retired
  • 6982 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 05 November 2014 - 06:59 AM

Heh. That image name. :heh:

It's just... Mesmerizing for some reason. At least for me. But then I feel sick after watching it go around and around and around for awhile.

Lessee... Other things:

There's no bonus for early answers since it just wouldn't be fair to people that can't stay up so late to see when the puzzle is initially posted.

All the puzzles [should] only have one answer... I got quite a few bizarre answers this week, actually... Ones that left letters in the solution and ones that gave me more than one possibility (though when I checked one of the numbers wouldn't work.) Unfortunately I can't count answers like that, even if the correct answer is among them, because you only get one main guess at the end of the week!

Edited by Ralis, 05 November 2014 - 07:32 AM.

#15 renouille

renouille

Too Legit To Quit

• 2448 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 05 November 2014 - 08:48 AM

Nah, algebra for the win!  It's also interesting that the simplest initial equation set actually has a second solution (H=8100, e=100, o=-90)., but these numbers fail when subbing into the other equations.

√H = o means o can't be negative.

#16 sb120495

sb120495

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2356 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 08:53 AM

√H = o means o can't be negative.

You mean H can't be negative.

#17 Necrohealiac

Necrohealiac

10,000 posts and not even a Tiki-Shirt.

• Members
  • 13389 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 09:00 AM

H can be negative if you want to start playing with imaginary numbers.  if H = -9, sqrt(H) = 3i

#18 sb120495

sb120495

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2356 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 09:12 AM

H can be negative if you want to start playing with imaginary numbers.  if H = -9, sqrt(H) = 3i

Obviously complex numbers aren't being used here but o can have real negative values.

#19 laksalot

laksalot

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 10:14 AM

I read "no resistance to the spin" to mean that the axle is frictionless and the wheel never stops.  Is that the intended meaning?

#20 Ralis

Ralis

[TOS] The Man Trap

• VMod Retired
  • 6982 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 05 November 2014 - 10:19 AM

No, it means that there is no variance in wind resistance or some change in gravity that would effect the speed at which the wheel stops.

#21 renouille

renouille

Too Legit To Quit

• 2448 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 05 November 2014 - 10:21 AM

Obviously complex numbers aren't being used here but o can have real negative values.

Every non-negative real number a has a unique non-negative square root, called the principal square root, which is denoted by √a, where is called the radical sign or radix. For example, the principal square root of 9 is 3, denoted √9 = 3, because 32 = 3 × 3 = 9 and 3 is non-negative.

. . .

Every positive number a has two square roots: √a, which is positive, and −√a, which is negative.

#22 sb120495

sb120495

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2356 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 10:30 AM

Every non-negative real number a has a unique non-negative square root, called the principal square root, which is denoted by √a, where is called the radical sign or radix. For example, the principal square root of 9 is 3, denoted √9 = 3, because 32 = 3 × 3 = 9 and 3 is non-negative.

. . .

Every positive number a has two square roots: √a, which is positive, and −√a, which is negative.

So o can be -√H and +√H right.

#23 laksalot

laksalot

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 10:51 AM

No, it means that there is no variance in wind resistance or some change in gravity that would effect the speed at which the wheel stops.

OK, thanks for the clarification.  Relatively speaking, that makes it much easier.

#24 renouille

renouille

Too Legit To Quit

• 2448 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 05 November 2014 - 10:59 AM

So o can be -√H and +√H right.

No. If it had said ±√H = o or H = o² then o could have been negative (disregarding the other equations). But it doesn't say that.

#25 sb120495

sb120495

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2356 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 11:02 AM

No. If it had said ±√H = o or H = o² then o could have been negative (disregarding the other equations). But it doesn't say that.

Uh,you're treating it as a variable but if you find the value of H(say 9) then take it's root you would get two solutions(±3).

The root symbol never(in my experience) has a ± in front of it because the signs are taken only when a number is obtained not while it's still a variable.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users