• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 BIue

BIue

I am New.

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 06:30 PM

Hi, umm I just restarted Dragon Saga and monks did get quite some changes and thrown me off my original plan. I made this new build for lv60 and please help me out with it.

http://image-storage...110111010010000

Also, I have a few questions, I just got chain lightning and its really suckish, should i just leave it out? Also, how's quagmire like, is it worth the points?

#2 invazn

invazn

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 368 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 14 November 2010 - 02:07 AM

I take it that this is more of a PVE-focused build? If so:
- barbarian and witches curse are more PVP oriented, but would not hurt if you have them
- casting acceleration is always helpful, whether PVP or PVE
- maybe max blessing if you are trying to be a good supporter/healer. but definitely not a must.
- consider upgrading cure if you want to remove more debuffs at once with faster CD. but again, not a must.
- MP transfer, quagmire and passive are used in PVP more often. if you need more SP, take out some from these skills.

And about chain lightning, if you are not gonna PVP, dont bother with it. If you plan to do some PVP, however, upgrading it to level 3 would be enough. Can be useful in group pvps.

If your build leans towards a bit more on the PVP side as well, then some changes need to be done. But I am not sure what your build is aiming for.

#3 BIue

BIue

I am New.

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 06:13 AM

Oops, I am PvE oriented atm, but I think I'm gonna PvP in the future.

#4 Craz

Craz

I am New.

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 03:38 PM

I have a few questions to add myself. I'm a level 59 monk about to promo to invoker.

Is Rain of Fire worth investing in past level 60?
Is Blink worth it in PvE?
If Barrier/Energy Absorption/Perfect Seal worth the SP investment anymore?
If I max Casting Acceleration, wouldn't it be smarter to max Wide Heal over Instant Heal?

Comparison (with Casting Acceleration on):
Wide Heal | Instant Heal
Cast Time: 0.2 | 0 sec
Heal Amount: 70% | 50% max HP
Range: Bigger | Smaller
Cool Down: 6 | 8 sec
MP Usage: 70 | 100 MP
SP Required: 15 | 20 per level

As you can clearly see, the only downside is the cast time and the fact that Casting Acceleration has a ~20.6 sec period between durations. Everything else favors Wide Heal.

Here's my planned 70 build.

I'm not exactly enthusiastic about monster cards since they're probably impossible to find, especially for someone at Van Cliff. If somehow I obtain them, there's 289 spare SP to fling around.

#5 ridicule

ridicule

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 563 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 16 November 2010 - 10:22 AM

I have a few questions to add myself. I'm a level 59 monk about to promo to invoker.

If I max Casting Acceleration, wouldn't it be smarter to max Wide Heal over Instant Heal?

Comparison (with Casting Acceleration on):
Wide Heal | Instant Heal
Cast Time: 0.2 | 0 sec
Heal Amount: 70% | 50% max HP
Range: Bigger | Smaller
Cool Down: 6 | 8 sec
MP Usage: 70 | 100 MP
SP Required: 15 | 20 per level

As you can clearly see, the only downside is the cast time and the fact that Casting Acceleration has a ~20.6 sec period between durations. Everything else favors Wide Heal.

Here's my planned 70 build.

I'm not exactly enthusiastic about monster cards since they're probably impossible to find, especially for someone at Van Cliff. If somehow I obtain them, there's 289 spare SP to fling around.

Here's the thing about wide heal - it heals for a percentage of MATK, while instant heals for a percentage of your HP. I've been using wide heal successfully in PVE, however since entering PVP scales your HP up more (like x2 or something), instant heal becomes the more effective one. It all depends on what you're doing.

Edited by ridicule, 16 November 2010 - 10:23 AM.

#6 MrHayate

MrHayate

I am New.

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 12:07 PM

How's this build? PVE/Support Orientated. http://image-storage...110111010010000

#7 Tundra

Tundra

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 278 posts
  • Playing:Dragon Saga

Posted 17 November 2010 - 08:34 AM

How's this build? PVE/Support Orientated. http://image-storage...110111010010000

Here's my changes.

http://image-storage...010001010000000

It's conservative, obviously. So you can add where needed or subtract what may not be needed.

Why things were left out or added:
Barbarian and Witch's Curse are only good for defense missions if for some reason your other 3 members suck at mobbing. My friend does incredibly well without them, and he kind of sucks in all aspects of the game. So if he can do it, anyone else can. Those points should be used elsewhere. If they can't do it, then... Well, the lazy guy with minimum required specs and a 7 year old computer is better than them in a very easy game! That's gotta hurt. But it depends on your playing style.

No Detection. As a supporter, you're kind of doing some damage - but your priority is to make sure your DPM Machines stay alive. It also only lowers Mdef, so it's only beneficial to magic users and not your whole party (which should consist of 2-3 physical attackers). It can, however, still be useful at times. So it's all up to your playing style.

Wide Heal is bumped to max because it's very useful. All you really need is Wide Heal, Instant Heal, and Slow Heal to keep party members alive. Slow heal is based off of percentage, and it heals 50% of someone's max HP over 30 seconds. That in conjunction with their pots and your heals means little to no deaths! Resurrection is level 3 just in case a little accident occurs. It restores more HP/MP and it also can revive your entire party. With acceleration on, that's a .2 second casting time - ensuring a quick recovery and a quick escape from the looming mob/boss.

Max Casting Acceleration to benefit you and your party. .5 is a bigger difference than most think, a crossbow user can tell you that! It also makes Wide Heal cast within .2 seconds, which is practically instant compared to .7 seconds.

Barrier is a one time deal. It shatters after being broken, so it's an option... It's just not worth buffing up that much. If taking off 1000 damage from an attack STILL kills you, then you're poorly equipped or you forgot how to heal! Or maybe you forgot how to stay away from the big baddies. Or maybe you super lagged. Yeaaaaah. But I'm a super evasive player, so I rarely get hit. So it may be useful to buff up a bit if you find yourself getting hit too much/dying a lot. You should also ditch your party (assuming you're not the one going toe to toe with monsters) and get a new one if you're getting hit too much.

HP Restore is nice, but it seems like overkill. You CAN get it, but those three healing skills should be more than enough. If for some reason it's crunch time and the two quick heals are in cool down mode, your party members should be using their potions without even waiting. Only lazy people/idiots rely on their supporter to keep them alive 100% of the time. Supporters HELP keep your alive, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't help yourself stay alive as well.

Maxed Cure because of the super low cooldown and it can remove 5 debuffs, which is nice! It can also be good at just being level 3~4, since the cool down is still decent. Since you're support, having the lowest cool down possible for all your useful supporting skills would be ideal.

Level 3 Chain Lightning for help with big mobs(4/5 if you want more power/monster hits). If there's 6+ monsters, Chain Lighting will prove to be more useful than double shot. . . Only because there'd be less X spam. << For smaller mobs of say 2 or 3, double shot is better. Also, if there's monsters getting in the way of the boss, you can simply use Chain Lightning to damage the monsters AND the boss, so you hit two birds with one stone without you having to go out of your way to clear monsters with double shot first. Then again, you ARE support, so this skill may not be needed at all depending on your playing style.

Quagmire can be used in PvE, but let's be honest, if a monster isn't dead within 5-8 seconds, then you're clearly with the wrong kind of people. The only time it'd come in handy is with speedy monsters that keep dodging attacks or with a super-crowded room with or without a boss(which there shouldn't be if you got the right kind of party). So again, it depends on your play style.

When it's time to be a Cleric, you can just opt to skip Heal Wave and DEFINITELY skip Blood Fever. Instead, focus on the three attacks. I say skip heal wave because you should have enough healing skills in your arsenal to keep your party alive. If you want to skip out on an uberlol attack, then go for Heal Wave. Personally, I'd see having 2-3 devastating attacks to be more supportive than a healing skill that costs 25 sp per level that you may rarely use. But like everything else~ It depends on your playing style.

EXP: Played a friend's healer on a certain special server. Gameplay is the same, leveling obviously is not.

The funny thing is, I can never decide anything for myself. Knowledge is power! Unless you're crazy-fickle. :3c

Edited by Tundra, 17 November 2010 - 08:38 AM.

#8 invazn

invazn

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 368 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 17 November 2010 - 02:43 PM

I think Rain of Fire is still worth investing. Since we lack in offensive skills, it wouldn't hurt to have one more. Of course you could argue that we get more offensive skills in 4th job, but RoF is nice because it doesnt need to wait for the awakeing bar and it has a nice CD of 3 at max. Whether to keep it or not, kind of a personal preference.

As for Barrier/Passive/Perfect Seal, to start off, PS is definitely not needed anymore. It used to have some utility at level 1, but now it has been changed to 10sec duration (whereas it was like 40 before), so it is a useless skill now. For Barrier/Passive, it is kind of a personal preference as well. It may be more useful in PVE for PVP. But if you are planning to get it, should ptobably max both for maximized usage, or else it is kinda pointless. In PVE, it is more useful because monsters dont hit you as much, so you can tank for quite a lot. But in PVP, it could break easily by a myrm or other classes with high damage. Besides, if you are frogged or slept, it would be hard to recover unless your barrier goes away or you get cured.

If you max Cast Acceleration, no, maxing Wide Heal would not necessarily be more effective. You should still aim to max Instant Heal first, and if you have enough SP to spare, then go for Wide Heal. In PVP, Instant Heal would defintiely be your first choice, as it is instant, heals quite a high amount (as HP is multiplied in PVP), and it is able to heal your teammates who are in air. Wide Heal would be your next choice if Instant fails. But it may not be as good because it has a cast time and can only heal teammates on ground. However, PVE-wise, both would be fine I guess. But definitely go for Instant Heal first.

Edited by invazn, 17 November 2010 - 02:46 PM.

#9 BIue

BIue

I am New.

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 04:09 PM

Thanks for all the help guys, this is going to be my current build now (it's similar to Tundra's build but I added some both things such as barbarian, which is pretty useful imo)

http://image-storage...000001010000000

Umm and does lv4 and lv5 slow heal make much of a differnce, I'm thinking about taking one point off of slow heal and placing it elsewhere.

#10 MrHayate

MrHayate

I am New.

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 08:11 PM

I actually posted somebody else' build, This was the build I meant to post, seems quite similar to the one you suggested:

http://image-storage...000001010000000

#11 Dopamine

Dopamine

I am New.

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 12:36 PM

Love that build ^

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users