Freyja's Pub Chat - Page 2 - Ragnarok 2 Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo

Freyja's Pub Chat

• Please log in to reply
139 replies to this topic

#26 5318130516144610857

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 824 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 12 November 2014 - 02:07 PM

I'm Spanish, so I'm kinda used to seeing my "language colleagues" misbehaving in that way, the language that I was most used to seeing in international servers after English was Spanish. But even then it happens scarcely and never for long. Currently I only see it for guild recruiting/searching messages (which makes sense).

I'll admit that right now it isn't as annoyingly frequent as 2-3 months ago, but if still happens way too often. I log in about five days a week for time lapses no longer than two hours and I always see some PH conversation going on in public chat, forbidding everyone else from participating in everyone's chat and littering their chatbox with stuff they can't comprehend.

After reading you again carefully it makes me wonder if you, are having some sort of Stockholm syndrome.

#27 Lyrella

Lyrella

Amateur Blogger

• Members - No Sig
  • 375 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 12 November 2014 - 02:07 PM

Call me crazy, but I always thought that if a game's interface and quests are written in a single language, with no options for translations into other languages (in the game itself) that that was the language that should be used in the "public" aspects of the game. :hmm:  I mean most games that are in a foreign language to you're native language (at least from my experience) look down on people who do not use the "native" language of the game.

I don't mind the occasional guild recruitment messages, or people asking questions, but when it becomes a full out discussion in a non-native (to the game) language, it should be taken to a whisper/party/guild/self-made channel imo.  

#28 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

My Offline Life is Nonexistent.

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts
  • Server:Sakray->Iris->Ymir->Chaos

Posted 12 November 2014 - 02:10 PM

Just give it up, guys. Not everyone was raised to know manners and common courtesy.

#29 Nereida

Nereida

Too Legit To Quit

• Members - No Sig
  • 1107 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online 2

Posted 12 November 2014 - 02:19 PM

After reading you again carefully it makes me wonder if you, are having some sort of Stockholm syndrome.

I have Stockholm syndrome with a lot of things (I like wine, for instance), but I don't think English communication is one of them.

I mean... I've never minded speaking in English, it has never been something negative to me.

Or is it about the ammount of PH conversations? In that case, I can safely say that a couple months ago you could see a 50-50 PH-EN distribution in public chat but now it's something like 10-90.

#30 5318130516144610857

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 824 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 02:24 PM

Hmm, and what is your point about those remarks?

#31 Campitor

Campitor

Darned Forever

• RO1 Production
  • 11063 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 03:03 PM

Hey everyone, 

Just popping in to clarify our stance on the user of foreign languages in game. We do not prohibit there use in game. Players are free to converse in whatever manner they are most comfortable in. Including English, Spanish, Navajo, Tagalog, Korean, Chinese,  smoke signals, or even telepathy. 

That being said it is HIGHLY suggested to have a basic understanding of English as that is how our staff communicates with the community at large. We do our best to assist when receiving communications in other languages but english is our primary support language.

For posting on the forums we have created a international section for each of our titles that can be found here: http://forums.warpportal.com/index.php?/forum/183-international/. These sections are to serve as a gathering point so that you can find other players who share similar backgrounds with.

It is never okay to harass another user because they speak another language or come from a different country/region. This goes for both english and non english speaking users. If you really believe that a person is using a foreign language to hide any illicit activities or to harass other users please make sure to screenshot it and submit it in a ticket tohttps://support.warpportal.com our GM team will be happy to look into it and take appropriate action. Thank you for your understanding.

#32 MingMei

MingMei

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 420 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 03:09 PM

I don't mind the occasional guild recruitment messages, or people asking questions, but when it becomes a full out discussion in a non-native (to the game) language, it should be taken to a whisper/party/guild/self-made channel imo.  

Then just make your own ENGLISH only channel IMO

as it is clearly evident that PH speakers outnumbered English-ONLY speaker

why hassle the MAJORITY 

Edited by chaseme, 12 November 2014 - 03:10 PM.

#33 Campitor

Campitor

Darned Forever

• RO1 Production
  • 11063 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 03:10 PM

Then just make your own ENGLISH only channel IMO

as it is clearly evident that PH speakers outnumbered English-ONLY speaker

why hassle the MAJORITY 

Hey everyone, 

Just popping in to clarify our stance on the user of foreign languages in game. We do not prohibit there  use in game. Players are free to converse in whatever manner they are most comfortable in. Including English, Spanish, Navajo, Tagalog, Korean, Chinese,  smoke signals, or even telepathy. 

That being said it is HIGHLY suggested to have a basic understanding of English as that is how our staff communicates with the community at large. We do our best to assist when receiving communications in other languages but english is our primary support language.

For posting on the forums we have created a international section for each of our titles that can be found here: http://forums.warpportal.com/index.php?/forum/183-international/. These sections are to serve as a gathering point so that you can find other players who share similar backgrounds with.

It is never okay to harass another user because they speak another language or come from a different country/region. This goes for both english and non english speaking users. If you really believe that a person is using a foreign language to hide any illicit activities or to harass other users please make sure to screenshot it and submit it in a ticket tohttps://support.warpportal.com our GM team will be happy to look into it and take appropriate action. Thank you for your understanding.

#34 Matsuyuki

Matsuyuki

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 03:15 PM

As an Spanish speaking player, when I speak in Spanish with other Spanish speaking players on public chat (or even on normal chat on populated areas like Prontera or Morroc) we get called out on it ten out of ten times, most of the time in a not so educated manner. We've eventually learned to don't speak in Spanish on such Channels. Also, not even once I've seen someone get punished for treating us like that (Heck, I can stand the jokes like they spamming "taco, burrito" etc, but it stops being funny when they call us "spics" or "wetbacks" :/ ).

The thing with some players is that they feel entitled to special treatment because they have somehow gotten the idea that they're the "majority", and maybe they are, but that's not a reason to be entitled to special treatment or for the developers to ignore the rest of the community, that kind of behavior is alienating, and will create animosity from the rest of the community towards them, just look at this thread. 

#35 Campitor

Campitor

Darned Forever

• RO1 Production
  • 11063 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 03:19 PM

As an Spanish speaking player, when I speak in Spanish with other Spanish speaking players on public chat (or even on normal chat on populated areas like Prontera or Morroc) we get called out on it ten out of ten times, most of the time in a not so educated manner. We've eventually learned to don't speak in Spanish on such Channels. Also, not even once I've seen someone get punished for treating us like that (Heck, I can stand the jokes like they spamming "taco, burrito" etc, but it stops being funny when they call us "spics" or "wetbacks" :/ ).

The thing with some players is that they feel entitled to special treatment because they have somehow gotten the idea that they're the "majority", and maybe they are, but that's not a reason to be entitled to special treatment or for the developers to ignore the rest of the community, that kind of behavior is alienating, and will create animosity from the rest of the community towards them, just look at this thread. 

Hey everyone, 

Just popping in to clarify our stance on the user of foreign languages in game. We do not prohibit there  use in game. Players are free to converse in whatever manner they are most comfortable in. Including English, Spanish, Navajo, Tagalog, Korean, Chinese,  smoke signals, or even telepathy. 

In your case I would highly suggest taking a screenshot of that harassment and reporting it as it is NOT okay.

#36 MingMei

MingMei

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 420 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 03:54 PM

I could say the same thing 

why make us use other channel 

in our defense we dont use spics or wetbacks or at the very least we dont use it here to refer to spanish 

#37 Campitor

Campitor

Darned Forever

• RO1 Production
  • 11063 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 03:55 PM

in our defense we dont use spics or wetbacks or at the very least we dont use it here to refer to spanish 

Hey everyone, 

It is never okay to harass another user because they speak another language or come from a different country/region. This goes for both english and non english speaking users. If you really believe that a person is using a foreign language to hide any illicit activities or to harass other users please make sure to screenshot it and submit it in a ticket to https://support.warpportal.com our GM team will be happy to look into it and take appropriate action. Thank you for your understanding.

#38 RyuMax02

RyuMax02

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 279 posts
  • LocationMALAYSIA
  • Server:FREYJA

Posted 12 November 2014 - 04:07 PM

lol CM replied the samething like every post on this page :blaugh: ..

good to know that you here listening

#39 Nereida

Nereida

Too Legit To Quit

• Members - No Sig
  • 1107 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 04:12 PM

So I guess there's that. Rude or not, they're allowed to do that.

#40 samsam2610

samsam2610

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 535 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 04:14 PM

o.o I remember that when I was still playing, GM/CM would speak up if there were anyone using other languages than English in pub chat. Not anymore??

#41 Matsuyuki

Matsuyuki

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 04:17 PM

Oh no no no, those two terms are very particular to the American demographic. I don't think people on the rest of the world even know what they mean, but I get your point.

But I think my original point still stands. No one is entitled to special treatment. And by special treatment I don't always mean good special treatment (like some players were asking with WoE schedules), confining a group of players to a channel just because they speak a certain language it's special treatment, just not of the good kind. It's an international server, as Campitor said, we're free to converse in whatever manner we like, apparently that "unwritten rule" of speaking English on global channels has never existed, so if people harass you because you're not writing in English on said channels just screenshot and report them, don't harass them back.

Then again, as Campitor said, it's Highly recommended to have a basic understanding of English to play the game, after all, the game is translated to English (even if the translations and descriptions aren't always accurate), and if you're using a global channel, it's because you likely want to reach the highest amount of people possible, and even if the majority of players are Filipino now, if you only speak on Tagalog, you will be leaving out the rest of the community, even if they're not native English speakers, most of them understand it, and they're a lot of players. So it's just a nice suggestion.

Edited by CMMaridah, 12 November 2014 - 05:18 PM.
Removing "Completely unrelated edit: Oh, wow, my avatar was deleted, I guess there can't be any references to That-What-Must-Not-Be-Named. ;_;"

#42 RyuMax02

RyuMax02

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 279 posts
  • LocationMALAYSIA
  • Server:FREYJA

Posted 12 November 2014 - 04:39 PM

o.o I remember that when I was still playing, GM/CM would speak up if there were anyone using other languages than English in pub chat. Not anymore??

that was once upon a time..

i remember it back then

#43 Vau

Vau

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 939 posts
  • Location.
  • Server:.

Posted 12 November 2014 - 05:26 PM

Hey everyone, 

Just popping in to clarify our stance on the user of foreign languages in game. We do not prohibit there use in game. Players are free to converse in whatever manner they are most comfortable in. Including English, Spanish, Navajo, Tagalog, Korean, Chinese,  smoke signals, or even telepathy. 

1- You totally missed the point, OP is talking about PUBLIC chat, you know what means that, right?. There's people from different countries, even though on every MMO's i have seen, there's always a public chat a.k.a English chat, where everyone can ask questions/help, chill or give some information to the rest of players on a common language  = English.

2- Do you think someone will play a game to waste time to report people using scribbles, harrassing or even insulting in another language?. People play games to have fun and avoid all that kind of bureaucracy. It doesn't help the customers or the company, or do you really want your GM's to receive 1000 tickets a day for reporting scribbles and insults in a language we don't even understand?. Personally, i'm not going to waste my time using google translator if someone is insulting me on another language on normal or public chats, said persons doesn't deserve my attention. lol

3- On "Legend of the Second" we used to see iRO2GM05 Wolf/Bear/Alpaca giving warnings to people using other languages on Public chat, but now that GM's are gone forever of the game, everyone do whatever they want in this game, breaking rules at pleasure.

I'll repeat once again, we're not bug testers or policeman to force people abide rules, it is your job, GM's job, not the community.

Call me crazy,

Crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!! jk jk xD

Edited by Vau, 12 November 2014 - 05:28 PM.

#44 Campitor

Campitor

Darned Forever

• RO1 Production
  • 11063 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 05:44 PM

lol CM replied the samething like every post on this page :blaugh: ..

good to know that you here listening

Hey everyone, 

It is never okay to harass another user because they speak another language or come from a different country/region. This goes for both english and non english speaking users. If you really believe that a person is using a foreign language to hide any illicit activities or to harass other users please make sure to screenshot it and submit it in a ticket to https://support.warpportal.com our GM team will be happy to look into it and take appropriate action. Thank you for your understanding.

Hey everyone, 

Hey everyone, 

Oh no no no, those two terms are very particular to the American demographic. I don't think people on the rest of the world even know what they mean, but I get your point.

But I think my original point still stands. No one is entitled to special treatment. And by special treatment I don't always mean good special treatment (like some players were asking with WoE schedules), confining a group of players to a channel just because they speak a certain language it's special treatment, just not of the good kind. It's an international server, as Campitor said, we're free to converse in whatever manner we like, apparently that "unwritten rule" of speaking English on global channels has never existed, so if people harass you because you're not writing in English on said channels just screenshot and report them, don't harass them back.

Then again, as Campitor said, it's Highly recommended to have a basic understanding of English to play the game, after all, the game is translated to English (even if the translations and descriptions aren't always accurate), and if you're using a global channel, it's because you likely want to reach the highest amount of people possible, and even if the majority of players are Filipino now, if you only speak on Tagalog, you will be leaving out the rest of the community, even if they're not native English speakers, most of them understand it, and they're a lot of players. So it's just a nice suggestion.

Hey everyone, 

that was once upon a time..

i remember it back then

Hey everyone, 

1- You totally missed the point, OP is talking about PUBLIC chat, you know what means that, right?. There's people from different countries, even though on every MMO's i have seen, there's always a public chat a.k.a English chat, where everyone can ask questions/help, chill or give some information to the rest of players on a common language  = English.

2- Do you think someone will play a game to waste time to report people using scribbles, harrassing or even insulting in another language?. People play games to have fun and avoid all that kind of bureaucracy. It doesn't help the customers or the company, or do you really want your GM's to receive 1000 tickets a day for reporting scribbles and insults in a language we don't even understand?. Personally, i'm not going to waste my time using google translator if someone is insulting me on another language on normal or public chats, said persons doesn't deserve my attention. lol

3- On "Legend of the Second" we used to see iRO2GM05 Wolf/Bear/Alpaca giving warnings to people using other languages on Public chat, but now that GM's are gone forever of the game, everyone do whatever they want in this game, breaking rules at pleasure.

I'll repeat once again, we're not bug testers or policeman to force people abide rules, it is your job, GM's job, not the community.

Crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!! jk jk xD

1. As a public chat channel it is okay for anyone to use any language. There is no rule that it must be in english and it is never okay to ever harass anyone at all.

2. Yes, if you get harassed we do want you to report it. Generally speaking you can get the gist of what a person says via context. You don't have to use google translator or the like to get the exact translation as that is the GM team's job. It is up to you to determine if you want to report for being harassed.  

3. The GM team is still around just a little bit more in the shadows. The ban hammers giving off the soft sound of a *thwump* every time it hits the palm of their left hand as they keep time between tickets.

Obligatory: Hey everyone, 

#45 Vau

Vau

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 939 posts
  • Location.
  • Server:.

Posted 12 November 2014 - 05:55 PM

Hey everyone, 

Hey everyone, 

Hey everyone, 

Hey everyone, 

Hey everyone, 

1. As a public chat channel it is okay for anyone to use any language. There is no rule that it must be in english and it is never okay to ever harass anyone at all.

2. Yes, if you get harassed we do want you to report it. Generally speaking you can get the gist of what a person says via context. You don't have to use google translator or the like to get the exact translation as that is the GM team's job. It is up to you to determined if you want to report for being harassed.  

3. The GM team is still around just a little bit more in the shadows. The ban hammers giving off the soft sound of a *thwump* every time it hits the palm of their left hand as they keep time between tickets.

Obligatory: Hey everyone, 

I feel i'm being trolled by you Campitor with all those quoting. Still, i don't agree with you, when players decided to play this game, they had to have at least  some grade of English knowledge to create an account and play the game based on English format. Therefore, Public chats are made to everyone understand what's going on or actively participate on the chat if they feel so. If everyone chats on let's say, 4 different languages on Public chat, it's impossible to have a chat at all and meet people.

With your answer, anything i say won't change yours or WarpPortal's mind about it.

#46 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 05:58 PM

That just means everyone should start learning Tagalog in order to find parties and talk to people on iRO2.

#47 Campitor

Campitor

Darned Forever

• RO1 Production
  • 11063 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 06:05 PM

I feel i'm being trolled by you Campitor with all those quoting. Still, i don't agree with you, when players decided to play this game, they had to have at least  some grade of English knowledge to create an account and play the game based on English format. Therefore, Public chats are made to everyone understand what's going on or actively participate on the chat if they feel so. If everyone chats on let's say, 4 different languages on Public chat, it's impossible to have a chat at all and meet people.

With your answer, anything i say won't change yours or WarpPortal's mind about it.

Please understand we are not against users coming together to forum a sense of community. Meeting other users and attempting to cross the communication barrier is fine. What we don't want to see is a user attempting to force another to use a certain language anywhere in the game.

Some of my favorite mmo memories were from playing with a group of users from Germany. My german is terrible and I mean horrible, but they were great players and we managed to work out some system of communication between us even if it was me trying to remember what little german I did know and them doing the same with english.

#48 Campitor

Campitor

Darned Forever

• RO1 Production
  • 11063 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 06:06 PM

That just means everyone should start learning Tagalog in order to find parties and talk to people on iRO2.

#49 VuoriDevine

VuoriDevine

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1092 posts
  • LocationHelsinki, Finland.
  • Server:Odin

Posted 12 November 2014 - 06:26 PM

So campitor just show up to copy/paste the same thing over and over again?
Not sure if serious or just trolling LOL

Edited by VuoriDevine, 12 November 2014 - 06:27 PM.

#50 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 06:31 PM

I'm getting the feeling you guys are mocking us for wanting to be able to communicate with others in a common language.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users