Creative Event: Pixel Art - **Community Contests and Events** - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo

Creative Event: Pixel Art

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
80 replies to this topic

#1 Myzery

Myzery

They pay me to post.

• Banned
  • 6670 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 12 November 2014 - 12:45 PM

80824774fa20bbcbdef63d10a20688e5-d7y84hq

Cinquine and Myzery back again to bring you another fabulous contest!
This time we're looking for the best pixel artists in all of Rune-Midgarts.

What's the deal?

This is a contest to showcase your talent for a chance at awesome prizes.
The best and most appealing entries will be revealed by CM Oda on December 02, 2014 during the Tiki Tuesday livestream.
The actual contest deadline is the night of November 30, 2014 at 11:59pm.

• This contest will have 3 different categories.
  • All entries must be RO related.
  • All entries must be your own, original work.
  • You may enter all 3 categories once each.
  • Each entry must be original and can't used multiple times.
  • All entries should also be made especially for this contest and not be previous works.
  • Animation is allowed.

Note*: If you suspect someone of plagiarism, please PM one of us. Any accusations posted in this thread will be promptly deleted.

The first category is for an existing class, monster, npc, whatever you want to do! Maybe you want to showcase your love for your pet poring, Brutus or let your favorite Kafra lady know how special she is. Perhaps you want to do a selfie or maybe let the world know who your bff is.

Example:

Spoiler

The second category is for scenes. Do you like Payon on a warm Summer evening? How about Comodo on a lazy afternoon? No matter where or what you choose, this had to be a scene that relates to Ragnarok.

Examples:
Spoiler

The third and final category is for original custom NPC sprites. You can design your own Kafra guy/gal, quest giver, Prontera sushi chef, or anything your heart desires for an NPC. This should NOT be a future or current class idea. Your custom NPC might just make an appearance in a future quest if it's appropriate.

Examples:
Spoiler

Edited by Myzery, 12 November 2014 - 12:54 PM.

#2 Myzery

Myzery

They pay me to post.

• Banned
  • 6670 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 12:49 PM

Prize List *Please edit your post with what character you would like the headgear placed on*

Best Character - Warlock by Eslesa
Sakura Crown 5768.png
Runner Up: Tie: Casting Wanderer by Magmag and Genetic with Lipstick by meli Creative Convention Hat 5188.png

Best Scene - TIE: Geffen Field by Kami Kali, Locals in Malangdo by Teacuplane
Sakura Crown 5768.png
Runner Up: Frozen by Yaong-Creative Convention Hat 5188.png

Best NPC - Violinist by Templeton
Sakura Crown 5768.png
Runner Up: Tie: Oda Frog and Inori's Winged Boy -Creative Convention Hat 5188.png

If you are on CLASSIC and you have won, you will have the option of choosing Gelato Hat [1] 18626.png instead.

Edited by Myzery, 08 January 2015 - 06:51 AM.

#3 Facekiller

Facekiller

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 9781 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:CHAOS

Posted 12 November 2014 - 01:09 PM

damn im never gonna get a sakura crown...

#4 Sizzleboom

Sizzleboom

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 500 posts
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 12 November 2014 - 01:28 PM

JEEZ LAWEEZ, just how talented can people be with pixel art?! I'd love to give this a try, but I'm not sure how well I'd hold up against entries the quality of the examples posted in the OP!

Edited by Sizzleboom, 12 November 2014 - 01:44 PM.

#5 spikexp

spikexp

Too Legit To Quit

• Banned
  • 2181 posts
  • Server:Chaotic

Posted 12 November 2014 - 01:42 PM

Finally something I could enter <.<

But those scene is just... I can't imagine how many days they spent...

#6 Tigra

Tigra

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1656 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 01:57 PM

Well, I won't be entering this one... all I can do is move a decapitated head to the other side of the screen in MS Paint, lol. Good luck everyone who enters.

Edited by Tigra, 12 November 2014 - 02:06 PM.

#7 Cinquine

Cinquine

Too Legit To Quit

• Artist Alley Alliance
  • 1063 posts
  • Server:Both

Posted 12 November 2014 - 02:00 PM

They don't have to be that good. :X I just chose really good examples to draw inspiration from. Don't be discouraged.

#8 Tigra

Tigra

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1656 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 02:13 PM

If I was good at all I'd definitely enter. But literally this is the most I can do.

noob_zpsccc0389f.jpg
I don't even know how to appropriately chop off her head, lol. Maybe if I can read up on how to do it I'll enter...

#9 Cinquine

Cinquine

Too Legit To Quit

• Artist Alley Alliance
  • 1063 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 02:25 PM

Not everyone will be able to do every event. Some people can draw, some cannot. Some people can cook, some cannot. Some people are crafty, others not so much. The whole reason I started in the event business was because I was tired of seeing events that only catered to people who could draw traditionally (drawing is great, but I thought it was unfair to not give other types of people the opportunity to get cool hats). I am always looking for ideas for the next one, as is Sapphic, Ralis, Myzery and what looks like tati now too. If you have a special talent and you'd like to see it featured, please please contact one of us, or volunteer for fungineering yourself if you're up for the challenge.

#10 hoikarnage

hoikarnage

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1876 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 02:35 PM

Oda is judging again?

Looks like I'll be sitting this contest out as well.

#11 Teacuplane

Teacuplane

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 03:21 PM

Do we have to use the RO character base or can we create our own bases?

#12 Saffire

Saffire

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 03:25 PM

When u say original entry, do u mean pixelled from scratch or we can start off an existing character base (eg. An AB sprite) and edit from there? Cause some look quite similar to actual game sprites and with edits than completely from scratch?

#13 Marionetta

Marionetta

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 57 posts
  • LocationWonderland

Posted 12 November 2014 - 03:30 PM

Not everyone will be able to do every event. Some people can draw, some cannot. Some people can cook, some cannot. Some people are crafty, others not so much. The whole reason I started in the event business was because I was tired of seeing events that only catered to people who could draw traditionally.

It's greatly appreciated that not all contest are about drawing or art related so more people get a chance to win that sweet sweet sakura crown

I'll have to wait for one perfect for me @@

I won't enter this one, but good luck everyone !!

#14 Tanzanito

Tanzanito

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 545 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 03:33 PM

Is the Giant baphomet's Horn girl winning again? I mean, just to know if we can get the 2nd prize.

Edited by Tanzanito, 12 November 2014 - 03:41 PM.

#15 LillKraujas

LillKraujas

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 716 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 03:54 PM

Is the Giant baphomet's Horn girl winning again? I mean, just to know if we can get the 2nd prize.

lol that was the first time i won something here

#16 AlmrOfAtlas

AlmrOfAtlas

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6533 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 04:21 PM

When u say original entry, do u mean pixelled from scratch or we can start off an existing character base (eg. An AB sprite) and edit from there? Cause some look quite similar to actual game sprites and with edits than completely from scratch?

They're not just similar. They're ALL edits. The third category especially, which seems to contain bits of the Trans Valk, one of the Rachel NPCs, LoTD, the swords from an NPC whose name I don't recall, an Amatsu monster, a Ferus, a SinX, an NPC from one of the Trail updates we don't have yet, that flame wheel effect, a recoloured Disguise mant and a couple of pserver things I won't mention because pserver :U

The only one I'd say is mostly original is this, but the sword is ripped from an old arcade game, and the shoes are from another sprite 47.gif

Edited by AlmrOfAtlas, 12 November 2014 - 04:47 PM.

#17 taianlight

taianlight

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 224 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Server:chaos

Posted 12 November 2014 - 04:31 PM

I really love spriting and pixels, count me in.

Heres one for the first category, decided to pay some homage to the Dark Knight class. They seem to be popular and tend to be present class in alot in the Ragnarok spinoff titles. Even have their own limited armor set that I really wish I had ; _ ;

2cn7aqv.png

Heres one for the second category which is something that I do enjoy doing in game and in the forum. Speculating and discuss upcoming events and future content with other people :

vrf0bo.png

Took abit of time, heres the last one for the third category, made a dwarf. Semi abit off from Ragnaronk style, this

was a first time doing the style from pure scratch.

2qa05xc.png

Edited by taianlight, 20 November 2014 - 03:26 PM.

#18 Myzery

Myzery

They pay me to post.

• Banned
  • 6670 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 05:11 PM

Do we have to use the RO character base or can we create our own bases?

I thought about it a good bit and decided that you have the option to do either one.

As long as it's clear that the art is from Ragnarok.

Edited by Myzery, 12 November 2014 - 05:11 PM.

#19 Myzery

Myzery

They pay me to post.

• Banned
  • 6670 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 05:12 PM

You can use the sprites from the game as long as it's not just a copy and paste fest.

I'm not expecting much of that, but with some of the loading screen contests, people were guilty of doing it.

#20 DarkGazer

DarkGazer

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1842 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 12 November 2014 - 05:26 PM

Retracted entry. Won't be able to make it for the deadline at this rate. Sorry about that. :(

Edited by DarkGazer, 19 November 2014 - 12:08 AM.

#21 Teacuplane

Teacuplane

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 05:30 PM

Any work in progress needed?

#22 IlliterateGaming

IlliterateGaming

Awarded #1 Troll

• RO Fungineering
  • 680 posts
  • LocationYouTube & Twitch.tv
  • Server:Chaos & Loki

Posted 12 November 2014 - 06:51 PM

If I were to make up a class in the game would that fall under any category?

#23 Myzery

Myzery

They pay me to post.

• Banned
  • 6670 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 07:18 PM

Any work in progress needed?

I would like to think that people will be honest in using their own work.

You can show work since it shows the effort put in, but I'm not going to make it mandatory.

#24 Magmag

Magmag

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 08:03 PM

Haha, I love this contest! I was actually on rosprites.simn.de when I was 19!!

I am so entering...

Spoiler

#25 Cinquine

Cinquine

Too Legit To Quit

• Artist Alley Alliance
  • 1063 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 09:01 PM

They're not just similar. They're ALL edits. The third category especially, which seems to contain bits of the Trans Valk, one of the Rachel NPCs, LoTD, the swords from an NPC whose name I don't recall, an Amatsu monster, a Ferus, a SinX, an NPC from one of the Trail updates we don't have yet, that flame wheel effect, a recoloured Disguise mant and a couple of pserver things I won't mention because pserver :U

The only one I'd say is mostly original is this, but the sword is ripped from an old arcade game, and the shoes are from another sprite 47.gif

Hmm. This is tricky. Moderating every little detail for originality will be next to impossible, as I'm not familiar with every game out there. Coming from someone who frequently uses effects from other games myself, I would say: if you use bits of a sprite from another game, make sure you cite your source to avoid getting into any trouble. It's not plagiarism if you give credit where it's due and it can be accounted for. Though it would be important to keep in mind if you make something yourself from scratch you will receive a much larger amount of points than if you just borrow a bunch of elements from other games. Does that sound fair?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users