Community Quest System Project - Page 3 - Renewal Foundry - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo

Community Quest System Project

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
93 replies to this topic

#51 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

My Offline Life is Nonexistent.

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Sakray->Iris->Ymir->Chaos

Posted 17 December 2014 - 09:45 PM

Or how about homunculus leveling quests? (If it's possible to script quests to only affect homunculi.) Develop a quest system like Pokémon where you can have your homunculus do kill quests and be the very best like no one ever was!

#52 Talvis

Talvis

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1985 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the Midwest
  • Server:Renewal Chaos

Posted 17 December 2014 - 09:56 PM

Honestly, I think adding a 3rd quest system besides the boards and gramps would be overkill.  Gramps should have never been permanent.  But, now that it is, removing it is gonna be near impossible.  It's like a tumor, catch it early and it's easily removed, but let it stay a while and it's near impossible to remove without causing more harm than good. 

The bounty boards should be enough to be a supplement to normal grinding and story quests.  We just need to get the boards in all parts of the game world.  I'm personally mixed on having a warp.  I do like the idea of encouraging the use of the navi system.  But, for the most part, monsters are pretty close to the towns.  However, monsters in dungeons are a different story.  I understand you wanting to encourage people to explore the game world, but some people prefer more convenience and I don't think it should be necessary to create two separate systems.

If I were to implement a system like this, I would go with something similar to the old pre renewal tis and have the npcs on the maps.  One big thing I liked about the old system is the ability to chose how many monsters you wanted to kill.  It was 50/100/150 if I recall.  There are some situations where I want to do a kill quest, but I don't have the time to do a full 150, especially if it's a monster with low spawn.

I personally found the eden quests to be decent 100+  I haven't had too many low level charas since renewal hit, so, I can't say much there.  But, the 100+ ones are not too bad, especially the 121-130.  The 131-140 need a better jexp reward, but it doesn't sound like an easy fix since it's a kRO update.

I personally want to see a full, 100% quest system overhaul.  The new quest system is great, but 95% of the quests don't even take full advantage of it.  Hell, some quests don't even have a basic quest window yet.  So basically; Update all quests in game to be fully functional with the new quest window.  This means every update should have a window, even iRO custom queses could be put on a tab.  Most of the story quests need to have their exp upped drastically.  Lastly, most quests need to have their dialog and quest journal entries redone so the quests can actually be followed by people using in game methods and not have to use a iwiki guide.  There are far too many quests that if it wasn't for a iwiki guide, I wouldn't have the slightest clue what to do, I wouldn't even know most even existed. Some quests just need to have parts redone like the Report quest where you have to collect report pieces and hope the guy makes the right report piece.

#53 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 10:10 PM

Honestly, I think adding a 3rd quest system besides the boards and gramps would be overkill.  Gramps should have never been permanent.  But, now that it is, removing it is gonna be near impossible.  It's like a tumor, catch it early and it's easily removed, but let it stay a while and it's near impossible to remove without causing more harm than good. 
The bounty boards should be enough to be a supplement to normal grinding and story quests.  We just need to get the boards in all parts of the game world.  I'm personally mixed on having a warp.  I do like the idea of encouraging the use of the navi system.  But, for the most part, monsters are pretty close to the towns.  However, monsters in dungeons are a different story.  I understand you wanting to encourage people to explore the game world, but some people prefer more convenience and I don't think it should be necessary to create two separate systems.

I disagree, I think there should be more things to do than less and we certainly can't count on kRO since we'd growing beards by the time they get us up to date.

If I were to implement a system like this, I would go with something similar to the old pre renewal tis and have the npcs on the maps. One big thing I liked about the old system is the ability to chose how many monsters you wanted to kill. It was 50/100/150 if I recall. There are some situations where I want to do a kill quest, but I don't have the time to do a full 150, especially if it's a monster with low spawn.

More leveling options is certainly desired.

I personally want to see a full, 100% quest system overhaul. The new quest system is great, but 95% of the quests don't even take full advantage of it. Hell, some quests don't even have a basic quest window yet. So basically; Update all quests in game to be fully functional with the new quest window. This means every update should have a window, even iRO custom queses could be put on a tab. Most of the story quests need to have their exp upped drastically. Lastly, most quests need to have their dialog and quest journal entries redone so the quests can actually be followed by people using in game methods and not have to use a iwiki guide. There are far too many quests that if it wasn't for a iwiki guide, I wouldn't have the slightest clue what to do, I wouldn't even know most even existed. Some quests just need to have parts redone like the Report quest where you have to collect report pieces and hope the guy makes the right report piece.

We can't do much about the kRO quests so that's why we should come up with our own. (Because honestly, kRO is not very good at coming up with decent leveling quests as we've seen with their concept of Eden Group.)

On that last note about the Report quest, I was thinking about proposing a side quest where players can just collect 40 pages and turn them in to a bored Cat Hand NPC that secretly gives you the full 4 volumes to give to the Report NPC.

#54 archiew

archiew

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 238 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 17 December 2014 - 10:13 PM

I think the bounty board is already good even if it has some flaws.... Well you cannot ever please everyone, can you?

I just had some suggestion to bounty board...

1. Please add more EMB reward when bounty board has 8+ more monsters in its category... my suggestion is 1 EMB per 4 monster so 8 monster will add 2 EMB just to add some fairness....

2. Or add an option when there are more than 4 monsters in a category... you can get 1 EMB for every 4 monsters of your choice.... so you don't need to beat all 8+ monsters just to get measly 1 EMB....

If you don't like my suggestion please don't bash me.... and 1 last thing... please never put egg types of monsters to Bounty board... unless you are sure that they don't easily hatched and turns out to be harder to hunt to reach the quota....

#55 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 10:21 PM

I think the bounty board is already good even if it has some flaws.... Well you cannot ever please everyone, can you?

Bounty Boards shouldn't be the last quest system that gets implemented, it should be the first of more to come.

I just had some suggestion to bounty board...
1. Please add more EMB reward when bounty board has 8+ more monsters in its category... my suggestion is 1 EMB per 4 monster so 8 monster will add 2 EMB just to add some fairness....
2. Or add an option when there are more than 4 monsters in a category... you can get 1 EMB for every 4 monsters of your choice.... so you don't need to beat all 8+ monsters just to get measly 1 EMB....

If you don't like my suggestion please don't bash me.... and 1 last thing... please never put egg types of monsters to Bounty board... unless you are sure that they don't easily hatched and turns out to be harder to hunt to reach the quota....

There are to be 2 phases to the Bounty Boards addition for iRO:

BETA Phase 1: Implementation
Right now I'm in the process of gathering monster suggestions and adding boards to the towns. Midgard and New World boards will be implemented first and culture towns will follow. Once all the boards have been added and all bugs are addressed, the second phase will commence.

BETA Phase 2: Refinement
All boards with 4+ monsters will have their scripts modified so that players would only need to pick 4 monsters to earn EMBs. In addition, I will see about making it so players can turn in all completed monster kills if they selected all monsters from a board but don't want to turn them in all at once. Other refinement suggestions will be considered during this phase.

Once both phases are complete, the system will be officially declared launched!

Edited by ZeroTigress, 17 December 2014 - 10:22 PM.

#56 pleaserespond10

pleaserespond10

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 11:12 PM

What if they pick the Muka map?

Or baby d.wolves...

#57 Soulkyoko

Soulkyoko

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 911 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 18 December 2014 - 02:01 AM

Id support the retiring of Gramps + a way to get the old party system back. Though im not good at coming up with ideas, sry guys @.@ 

Edited by Soulkyoko, 18 December 2014 - 02:02 AM.

#58 Necrohealiac

Necrohealiac

10,000 posts and not even a Tiki-Shirt.

• Members
  • 13389 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 06:10 AM

Or baby d.wolves...

haven't played with in game sound since 2004.

kRO would probably never give the go ahead, but the fact that the eden boards have anywhere from 1 hr to 3 hr cds is ridiculous. TT 5 person requirement is also dumb.

#59 archiew

archiew

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 238 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 18 December 2014 - 06:35 AM

Wish that thanatos 5 ppl requirement will go off otherwise I will never touch the upper floor unless I crazily open 5 chars simultaneously....lol

But my computer cannot handle more than 3 ....

#60 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 07:50 AM

Id support the retiring of Gramps + a way to get the old party system back. Though im not good at coming up with ideas, sry guys @.@

If you can't come up with ideas, then list issues that aren't being solved with the current leveling options. Like the saturation of alchemists in OD because of homunculus leveling. Maybe we'll be able to brainstorm something if we lay out issues first.

#61 NoxiousOrchid

NoxiousOrchid

Awarded #1 Troll

• RO Fungineering
  • 755 posts
  • LocationLA, CA
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 18 December 2014 - 10:45 AM

How about going through preexisting quests and refining their rewards to encourage players to try already existing content.  I know they already touched on a few quests, but it doesn't hurt to do more.  This is something that can benefit both servers though they would need to be edited differently. 

There is a lot to work from here:

http://irowiki.org/wiki/Quest_Table

This could give people who have harder times finding parties or that don't like to grind an alternative to get a few levels at least.

#62 Necrohealiac

Necrohealiac

• Members
  • 13389 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 11:05 AM

How about going through preexisting quests and refining their rewards to encourage players to try already existing content.  I know they already touched on a few quests, but it doesn't hurt to do more.  This is something that can benefit both servers though they would need to be edited differently. 

This could give people who have harder times finding parties or that don't like to grind an alternative to get a few levels at least.

i've asked about this in the past, but it was shot down. I had requested a boost to the lhz quests but Oda had replied that the bonus exp from victoria quest was sufficient enough to make up for the poor individual rewards.

#63 NoxiousOrchid

NoxiousOrchid

Awarded #1 Troll

• RO Fungineering
  • 755 posts
  • LocationLA, CA

Posted 18 December 2014 - 11:12 AM

i've asked about this in the past, but it was shot down. I had requested a boost to the lhz quests but Oda had replied that the bonus exp from victoria quest was sufficient enough to make up for the poor individual rewards.

Sounds like they took the easy way out then.  That is most unfortunate considering there is a lot of people who don't even bother still.  There is so much content that people don't use that could changed to better fit what the community wants.  Even the apple gambling could be improved on.  I bet most people don't even know about that because it is so useless that no one bothers mentioning it.

#64 Necrohealiac

Necrohealiac

• Members
  • 13389 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 11:16 AM

Sounds like they took the easy way out then.  That is most unfortunate considering there is a lot of people who don't even bother still.  There is so much content that people don't use that could changed to better fit what the community wants.  Even the apple gambling could be improved on.  I bet most people don't even know about that because it is so useless that no one bothers mentioning it.

you'll find no disagreement from me. i love quests but the poor rewards make only a handful actually worth doing. even a 1.5 mm vip enhanced reward from victoria quest won't really get you anywhere if you died a few times trying to get the ymir heart piece in a spotlight-enhanced bio2 as part of the president's quest.

#65 NoxiousOrchid

NoxiousOrchid

Awarded #1 Troll

• RO Fungineering
  • 755 posts
  • LocationLA, CA

Posted 18 December 2014 - 11:20 AM

you'll find no disagreement from me. i love quests but the poor rewards make only a handful actually worth doing. even a 1.5 mm vip enhanced reward from victoria quest won't really get you anywhere if you died a few times trying to get the ymir heart piece in a spotlight-enhanced bio2 as part of the president's quest.

This is very true.  It would also be nice if they modified the rewards based on level like some quests have.  That way there is an incentive to do them at any time.

#66 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 11:21 AM

How about going through preexisting quests and refining their rewards to encourage players to try already existing content. I know they already touched on a few quests, but it doesn't hurt to do more. This is something that can benefit both servers though they would need to be edited differently.

Problem is a lot of people don't want to do long quests for EXP. Although there is a portion of the community (the questers primarily) that would appreciate the boost, a large number prefer a Gramps-like system which is quick and easy. As much as I'd like to see current kRO quests get the update they should've gotten, it would be a waste of time at this point because not everyone in the community would make use of it.

#67 Necrohealiac

Necrohealiac

• Members
  • 13389 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 11:25 AM

this is an alternative option to the bounty boards which you have already stated won't be able to handle a gramp's free world. rather than implementing an entirely new set of quests with varying kill counts, this leverages already existing infrastructure. it can't be all that hard to just add a 0 or something to one line of data.

the real question is if this can be done independent of kRO review/approval.

#68 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 11:33 AM

this is an alternative option to the bounty boards which you have already stated won't be able to handle a gramp's free world. rather than implementing an entirely new set of quests with varying kill counts, this leverages already existing infrastructure. it can't be all that hard to just add a 0 or something to one line of data.

the real question is if this can be done independent of kRO review/approval.

Nothing wrong with coming up with a Plan B if kRO refuses, which is a 99.9% chance of happening. If kRO is willing to implement my Bounty Boards, then it's more likely we'd be able to get something similar done ourselves rather than get them to get off their butts and fix their own game.

#69 Necrohealiac

Necrohealiac

• Members
  • 13389 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 11:57 AM

at the end of the day, everything here can be reduced to a cost-benefit analysis. if the quest rewards are sufficiently attractive, people will do them. i'd like to at least hear the CMs weigh in on this rather than just killing it before it has a chance.

#70 Talvis

Talvis

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1985 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the Midwest
  • Server:Renewal Chaos

Posted 18 December 2014 - 01:06 PM

Problem is a lot of people don't want to do long quests for EXP. Although there is a portion of the community (the questers primarily) that would appreciate the boost, a large number prefer a Gramps-like system which is quick and easy. As much as I'd like to see current kRO quests get the update they should've gotten, it would be a waste of time at this point because not everyone in the community would make use of it.

If the quests actually gave quests worth their time and some of the quests were reworked, people would do them.  Doing a hour+ long quest and getting 250,000 exp is not worth it for most people unless they like the stories or need them for dungeon access.  But, if some of the big story quests gave decent amounts of exp, say 3mil+ (broken into chunks at different points), that would help.

#71 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 01:16 PM

If the quests actually gave quests worth their time and some of the quests were reworked, people would do them. Doing a hour+ long quest and getting 250,000 exp is not worth it for most people unless they like the stories or need them for dungeon access. But, if some of the big story quests gave decent amounts of exp, say 3mil+ (broken into chunks at different points), that would help.

I'd love it if the quests were revamped as such, but kRO's too lazy to do that and I doubt they'd give Warp Portal authority to do so.

#72 ilovemilk

ilovemilk

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3452 posts
  • LocationMilky Way
  • Server:Offline

Posted 18 December 2014 - 01:38 PM

I was able to give myself a whole two hours to play Ragnarok today after some well time management. I was pretty excited to finally level up my level 150. However, I ended up spending 90% of it waiting for my party leader to finish organizing a bio party. By the time the lead got all of the crucial classes that we need (Sorc, Sura, String), I ended up having to leave because real life called. I don't think getting past level 150 doable for casual players like myself at the moment. Good bye PVP. Good bye WOE. Good bye RO competition.

Edited by ilovemilk, 18 December 2014 - 01:40 PM.

#73 Tamago

Tamago

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 278 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 01:47 PM

Although I'm not much of going to the community forum as much I will add to this since I do happen to mention on the RC of the game a bit of what has been implemented. I also would like to opt for suggestion knowing how people stress the opinion on how the Ti should be, how it would be beneficial and how to make grandpa retire his cursed soul to the depths of Old Payon or Old Glastheim. Either or...

I had a brief discussion with some of the folks on RC and thought that having a bounty board quest with partial kills and item harvesting would work. It may not be much as motivation but surely will have players work for their exp. What I would think it would be would be system based on when you are fighting that the acquired would show up in your inventory along with your kill count. this also means that w/e it is that is attached to the bounty is something account bound and not opt to trade. so similarly it would e like the old quest but there wouldn't be any problems that occur. item wise such as greeding or hand in farming. This applies to all levels and such. For the players who want to try something exceedingly hard probably a nightmare bounty that lets you fight off harder, pumped and more aggro monsters. Rewards goes as follow since there are multiple on chart: I don't think I mentioned much of the navigation system but I would like to implement the bounty boards in the areas that can be revisited like the other area maps like Brasilis, Port Malaya, Dewata etc....

1 of the above: exp + random food item

2 of the above: exp + random craft item

3 of the above: exp + OPB

4 or all above: exp + EMB, buff stat & 10 white pots

Xtra bounty (bonus hunt): Eliminate 10-20 buffed monsters: Extra select item of choice : EMB, OPB, Enrich ore

Nightmare bounty: TBA, still opt

I'll need more think work to add things that may be feasable to current bounty quests...

#74 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 01:55 PM

I was able to give myself a whole two hours to play Ragnarok today after some well time management. I was pretty excited to finally level up my level 150. However, I ended up spending 90% of it waiting for my party leader to finish organizing a bio party. By the time the lead got all of the crucial classes that we need (Sorc, Sura, String), I ended up having to leave because real life called. I don't think getting past level 150 doable for casual players like myself at the moment. Good bye PVP. Good bye WOE. Good bye RO competition.

So, I'm guessing that would be another vote for reviving the old repeatable EXP quests?

Although I'm not much of going to the community forum as much I will add to this since I do happen to mention on the RC of the game a bit of what has been implemented.

An interesting proposition. That would make a great complementary quest system to the Bounty Boards. It could be something like the RO version of the Strife Delivery Service from Advent Children where players can pick up quests from various NPCs and deliver them to other NPCs on the same map or do delivery duties on the maps.

Edited by ZeroTigress, 18 December 2014 - 02:02 PM.

#75 WarlockFier

WarlockFier

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3395 posts
  • Server:Silph Road

Posted 18 December 2014 - 01:59 PM

We really need the contents that helps player level decently like Nightmare Clock Tower. >_<

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users