Oda

Overseas

• Community Managers
  • 10260 posts
  • Twitter:@Oda_CM
  • LocationAmatsu
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online

Posted 30 January 2015 - 05:11 PM

Coming next week is a revived Old Payon that will serve a similar function to the Criatura academy on Renewal. It will be repurposed from it's current state as a PVP only map and will function as a hub for new players to meet up as well as to interact with established players.

There will be NPCs providing free warps to the low level dungeons as well as many convenience NPCs. This is just the first iteration so if you have suggestions on ways to make this a great place to group up and socialize please chime in!

Janeway will be moving here next week as well. We'll have to make sure to put in an option for new players to travel to Asgard directly. The current plan is that when you use the Prontera Warp Pass it will also give you the option to travel here. 

Here is a preview of what we are planning for next week and Mk. I.

Asgard-Village-mk-1.jpg

We will be adding a NPC in the training grounds to take players to Asgard, for higher level players we have added a NPC to the north of the Prontera spawn point that will take you there. 

AsgardVillageWarper.jpg

In the middle of Asgard Village you'll be able to find Jumping Janeway, a helpful NPC that gives you leveling quests. Once you complete the monster hunt, you'll receive lots of EXP! 

Jumping-Janeway01.png

#2 AlmrOfAtlas

AlmrOfAtlas

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6533 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 30 January 2015 - 05:13 PM

So this means players will no longer have to do the 1st class quests?

Tbh I'd rather you didn't allow players to warp to this area via the Pront Pass. It would be quite annoying having to deal with the menu (I use them like bwings and I'm sure others do as well). NPC access instead.

#3 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • Twitter:@nekoxellie
  • LocationValhalla
  • Server:Europe ban!

Posted 30 January 2015 - 05:16 PM

Will we be losing old payon pvp then?

As super cute as this idea is (I really do like it!) my concern is that prontera is the international goto of the RO world.

A dead prontera will have people seeing  a dead server. People from other servers will say "where is everyone?!"

Edited by Xellie, 30 January 2015 - 05:17 PM.

#4 Oda

Oda

Overseas

• Community Managers
  • 10260 posts
  • LocationAmatsu

Posted 30 January 2015 - 05:17 PM

So this means players will no longer have to do the 1st class quests?

Tbh I'd rather you didn't allow players to warp to this area via the Pront Pass. It would be quite annoying having to deal with the menu (I use them like bwings and I'm sure others do as well). NPC access instead.

I think the plan would be that the NPCs would warp them to the place where you start the job change quest. 

We could probably make a separate Prontera pass type item and/or have a specific NPC. 

Will we be losing old payon pvp then?

For now, probably.  No, we'll clone the map.

#5 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 30 January 2015 - 05:23 PM

That's actually the best pvp map, just nobody uses it because it's at the bottom of the list (hidden)

Anyway I know I editted after you posted, but the concerns about prontera stand. How do you plan on letting people know this is the place to go if this is going to become the new social hub when the RO world as a whole expect it to be prontera?

#6 AlmrOfAtlas

AlmrOfAtlas

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6533 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 05:30 PM

I'd like to see this implemented as an extension of the current Training Grounds. New players would run through the grounds like usual, speaking to NPCs, killing porings, but the quiz NPC at the end should be replaced with the warper for this new area, and give the player their free kafra tickets and whatnot before they're sent off.

May not be possible but I'd also like to see the ability to return to the Training Grounds (but not the poring field) in case newbies wanted to have another walk around, or if vets wanted to take these players around the castle, show them who to talk with, make sure they don't miss anything, etc. Give the field warper a quest that is taken away after using the village warper NPC so that they can't return to farm, but allow them to walk around the castle and talk to the NPCs there.

Edited by AlmrOfAtlas, 30 January 2015 - 05:30 PM.

#7 Oda

Oda

Overseas

• Community Managers
  • 10260 posts
  • LocationAmatsu

Posted 30 January 2015 - 05:32 PM

That's actually the best pvp map, just nobody uses it because it's at the bottom of the list (hidden)

Anyway I know I editted after you posted, but the concerns about prontera stand. How do you plan on letting people know this is the place to go if this is going to become the new social hub when the RO world as a whole expect it to be prontera?

We want to keep Prontera popular, but provide a place that's easier to navigate for new players. Eventually making it a "you must go here" type place like Renewal Izlude is a possibility or to introduce quests that link players to Prontera and the other main towns will ensure that players know about it but restrictions like vending not being allowed there might help with keeping it from stealing too much of Prontera's thunder. 

I'd like to see this implemented as an extension of the current Training Grounds. New players would run through the grounds like usual, speaking to NPCs, killing porings, but the quiz NPC at the end should be replaced with the warper for this new area, and give the player their free kafra tickets and whatnot before they're sent off.

May not be possible but I'd also like to see the ability to return to the Training Grounds (but not the poring field) in case newbies wanted to have another walk around, or if vets wanted to take these players around the castle, show them who to talk with, make sure they don't miss anything, etc. Give the field warper a quest that is taken away after using the village warper NPC so that they can't return to farm, but allow them to walk around the castle and talk to the NPCs there.

That's a pretty interesting idea, do you think we could accomplish a similar effect by introducing copies of the training ground NPCs in their own corner of Asgard?

#8 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 30 January 2015 - 05:35 PM

Disabling vending would be a pretty good idea.

Perhaps we could get chats handled by npcs especially for looking for parties? That can handle warps to event maps/TI maps for VIP or items/zeny for non VIP?

Something I notice on Classic among the vets is that actually they don't gather anywhere to find/create parties. Soo having a hub for that would help show activity.

#9 RaveMaster

RaveMaster

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4045 posts
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 30 January 2015 - 05:36 PM

Im ready for camp there lol

#10 AlmrOfAtlas

AlmrOfAtlas

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6533 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 05:48 PM

That's a pretty interesting idea, do you think we could accomplish a similar effect by introducing copies of the training ground NPCs in their own corner of Asgard?

That could work but I'm quite fond of how the current Training Grounds is set up. It flows very nicely (though it would be nicer if the NPCs in the right-hand room were compulsory since they give extremely valuable info for newbies). I'd be looking to an extension rather than a replacement.

Is this going to replace the existing Training Grounds? I love my vanilla icecream dun mix chocolate into it.

Random note but this place is going to be THE new spambot area. Gold sellers always go for the new players. Will have to take steps to combat it.

Edited by AlmrOfAtlas, 30 January 2015 - 05:59 PM.

#11 Themes

Themes

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1412 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 08:31 PM

This looks good. I'll probably be there on a bunch of my guys pretty regularly. I'll probably have some comments/criticism after it goes in and we've had some time to sit around and use it.

Agree that there'll probably be a focus on getting the spambots in there. Not too sure what the best way to keep them out will be, especially if you're going to let them Warp Pass their way in.

#12 zerowon

zerowon

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 941 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 10:31 PM

I like the way the village is turning out I shall give feedback once implementation is complete.

#13 Quanta

Quanta

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 350 posts
  • Server:Chaos/Loki

Posted 31 January 2015 - 01:51 AM

Is this going to be a sort of extended tutorial area? Because I'm wondering if there are any more advanced topics that could be taught to new players via this new hub. Things like:

- healbombing for acolytes
- vertical firewall for mages
- introducing mini-bosses and MVPs (with maybe a fight against a weak MVP tailored for newbies)

Those are the main ones I can think of off-hand. Everything looks good to me otherwise.

#14 Oda

Oda

Overseas

• Community Managers
  • 10260 posts
  • LocationAmatsu

Posted 31 January 2015 - 09:03 PM

That could work but I'm quite fond of how the current Training Grounds is set up. It flows very nicely (though it would be nicer if the NPCs in the right-hand room were compulsory since they give extremely valuable info for newbies). I'd be looking to an extension rather than a replacement.

Is this going to replace the existing Training Grounds? I love my vanilla icecream dun mix chocolate into it.

Random note but this place is going to be THE new spambot area. Gold sellers always go for the new players. Will have to take steps to combat it.

This would not be replacing the training grounds, I think that still serves a useful purpose. I'll talk with Section 9 to see if there's something we can do to keep that area extra squeaky clean. 

#15 Oda

Oda

Overseas

• Community Managers
  • 10260 posts
  • LocationAmatsu

Posted 02 February 2015 - 11:01 AM

Is this going to be a sort of extended tutorial area? Because I'm wondering if there are any more advanced topics that could be taught to new players via this new hub. Things like:

- healbombing for acolytes
- vertical firewall for mages
- introducing mini-bosses and MVPs (with maybe a fight against a weak MVP tailored for newbies)

Those are the main ones I can think of off-hand. Everything looks good to me otherwise.

I think that would be a great idea, especially training for specialized skills like that. Might be good to start a list of these advanced techniques that new players would need to know

-Endow

-Healbombing

-Vertical Firewall

-Monster taming

-Refining

-What stats are important for which classes

-Mercenary system

-What to sell, what to keep

-Representatives of the different classes that can explain about what the class does, what stats are important and can warp you to the class change area

I think we are also able to create 1st class skill books like we have on Renewal that can grant novices and novices only with the ability to use some basic 1st class skills as well for the training grounds portion.

#16 Themes

Themes

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1412 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 12:14 PM

Dont forget carding, weapons in particular and how elements stack with them. You could create a set of novice cards they could put in their novice gear and then get a small set bonus, that would now last through their first class life as well.

This sounds quite neat actually, I'm really looking forward to it.

#17 Necrohealiac

Necrohealiac

10,000 posts and not even a Tiki-Shirt.

• Members
  • 13389 posts
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 02 February 2015 - 12:16 PM

it's good to see old payon making a comeback.

#18 zerowon

zerowon

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 941 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 01:31 PM

Could give them the 5% damage cards to races for there weapons cause am pretty sure no one uses them. 1 or 2 wouldn't hurt provided there's certain techniques in place to prevent bot farms from gaining more farming power.

#19 kijudoav

kijudoav

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 453 posts
  • Server:both.

Posted 04 February 2015 - 07:23 PM

Armor dealer needs Boots, Manteaus, and maybe Shields and Mirror Shields...

Arms dealer needs Guns, specifically Six Shooter [1], Crimson Bolt [1], Branch [3], Cyclone [1], Rolling Stone [1], Black Rose [1], and Silver Bullets.

#20 Sushi

Sushi

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 05:53 AM

It is looking nice. I wonder why the Dungeon Warpers are so far away... I would like to keep it simpler and closer to the other npcs. Why be OCD and make them "match" the exit warp zones? No need i believe...

#21 Quanta

Quanta

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 09:36 AM

It is looking nice. I wonder why the Dungeon Warpers are so far away... I would like to keep it simpler and closer to the other npcs. Why be OCD and make them "match" the exit warp zones? No need i believe...

Yeah, this was confusing to me because the way the layout shows it, the dungeon warpers were going to be to the right of the palace, so naturally I went there and there was nothing. Having them at the exit points makes it seem like there aren't that many dungeons available to choose from at low-to-mid levels.

For the Glast Heim warp, I would have put the destination directly in front of the church, rather than just south of the fountain.

#22 Oda

Oda

Overseas

• Community Managers
  • 10260 posts
  • LocationAmatsu

Posted 05 February 2015 - 09:48 AM

We're going to move the dungeon warpers to the stairs near the center of town next week. We'll put warps to different towns in the "red dot" locations as well. So far we are planning to have warps to Juno, Alberta, Comodo and Prontera

Just need to think of an In-Universe reason for the Training Village coming to be. 

#23 Quanta

Quanta

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 10:25 AM

Just need to think of an In-Universe reason for the Training Village coming to be. 

Just have a Valkyrie somewhere who says that she wants to train the next generation of heroes, then whisks them away to the training village. :P

#24 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 05 February 2015 - 01:06 PM

If the alchemy npcs are going to be in asgard vil you should probably have the alchemist stuff in the tool dealer much like the mail annex.

#25 belld1711

belld1711

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1730 posts
  • LocationWhere ever you want me to be.

Posted 09 February 2015 - 09:11 AM

Last week after maintenance, I ran a novice through the training ground, but never saw anything about the Training Village and thought it hadn't been put in yet. I went to Prontera, Izlude, Payon and even the Olde Payon (warped there VIA the old man in Payon) which was the PvP Payon. How do you get in?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users