Battleground revamp suggestion. - Proposals and Suggestions - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Battleground revamp suggestion.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 seaechiowai

seaechiowai

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 904 posts
  • LocationIrvine, SoCal USA
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:iRO Renewal Chaos

Posted 06 February 2015 - 03:59 PM

There has not been a thread of this topic in recent times, so I am making one. The issue needs to be addressed, and whether or not Warpportal will tend to it, I am writing this at least just to say I've done my part as the user side of the game.

First, you might wonder, why battleground even matters. As you know, the game has an issue of uncontrollable inflation in this server. PVP is the greatest money sink an MMORPG can have, and an active battleground all the time will help the issue tremendously as opposed to having just three WoE days of the week, for two hours of it at a time. Also, it's a content that draws a lot of people in. Many will issue the core battle mechanics as this game's greatest strength, with cross-server tournaments like RWC and USRC running for more than a decade. Strengthening the battleground will reinforce the population, as well as keeping people who has capped lvl 175 to stay in the game besides just showing up for WoE. It's fun and it makes the game more fun.

Battleground is empty again. It was catching on right after the implementation of the queue system and reduction of party size required for it, but after 175 level cap raise, nobody except for a very rare who are doing guild tournament is using the battlegrounds. There are a few causes for this, and these are what I saw as the issues: 1, weak rewards that have not caught up with the current player demands; 2, current battleground is unfair, and 3, some more features that aren't present here that have already been standards of similar other MMORPGs.

The rewards issue. It's not a secret that running TI has been far better method of earning battleground rewards than running the battlegrounds themselves. This is a design flaw that directs people to Gramps TI quests even more than it already is attracting people. I'm not going to go over why that directing more players to Gramps is an issue, that is an entirely new can of worms, one I believe majority of those who has played this game for long agree with. The reward to wait time just does not balance out. What can we do to strengthen the reward? The badges are at least half as rewarding as it should be. I would love to see an interesting ways to reward good players, for example, on top of current system of winning team takes 5 points and losers take 1 on KvM, players who has earned a kill gets additional badges on top of that. This method has an added effect of discouraging the people who leave sandbag alternate characters into KvM, which has been an issue when the battleground has been active. PvPers are competitive and minmaxers by nature, they will not do whatever they see as less efficient.

Another way to strengthen the reward is to award people with experience points. There are a big group of players who only wants to PvP, this is evidenced strongly by the population leap during WoE times. I've had numerous argument against people who bot, and a LOT of them do it because they hate the PvM content of a game, it is irrelevant to them. I'm not saying they are right, but it's clearly a way to suppress the big bot issue. The simplest method I can see this being implemented is by rewarding winning players the Hugel medals, which already can be changed into experience points. This will help revitalize both battlegrounds and Hugel mini game scene because this will inform players that Hugel minigames exist. That will allow more freedom of players to make progress, and it will combat problem of contents thinning out as player level goes higher.

When players do make to the battlegrounds after current wait time of 30min-1hr+ as evidenced by my personal test run today, they currently have to face many unfairness part of it. The game is old and has numerous gear gap issue, both legally obtained and duped. Limiting godly gears and mvp cards in battlegrounds(such as a particular one like Golden Thief Bug that negates entire three classes) will help make things fairer. Also, the level gap is not even. Currently, our level grouping in battle grounds are 0-59, 60-79, and 80-175. Has anyone ever done the battleground below level 80 besides the once-in-few-years official novice battlegrounds event? I doubt it. How does a level 80 kill level 175? It's impossible for a level 80 guy to damage even a naked 175, their natural regen out heals received damage rate, lol. The current level arrangement does not make sense, and no one does it anyway. Poring War is an indication of how people under 99 do not care about pvp at all, and that's right there in the most popular place of the game. So, I propose a new group of level brackets: 99 to 134, 135 to 150, and 150 to 175 level brackets of all KVM, Tierra Gouge, and Flavian. There are enough content for those under level 99, and I think, in counter-effect, allowing people to only be able to participate after reaching the first aura will make their first aura even sweeter. We can sacrifice the nonexistent userbase to reinforce the EXISTING one, wouldn't that make more sense?

Finally, the last bit of points. The PvP crowd will seldom admit this, but bragging right is a big reward in itself when it comes to pvp.

It's not an unheard feature of PvP oriented games to have a ranking system. The game has already a several in-game ranking coded in, why not add ranking system for battlegrounds(i.e. typing "/KVM-supernovice" would display the top 10 biggest killing super novice player name of kvm, not unlike our existing /alchemist, /blacksmith, and /taekwon command)? Also, we really could use more convenience in the forms of notification. A lot of players don't even bother with battlegrounds until there are only one or two spots to left to fill up, because the waiting time is horrendous. Make server announcement that tells the server that there are people joining the queue each time someone signs up. This will allow people to easily gauge the time they have to tend to other contents of the game, and at the same time, advertise to those unaware that the battleground exists by encouraging them to ask around for explanation of server events. For those who are interested in experiencing the content without spending resource, allow players to watch and cheer for the ongoing KVM. That would help making youtube content so much easier, and it makes things so much exciting when you have friends on your side rooting for you. Finally, I plead that there becomes a one-on-one duel option of the battlegrounds. It is odd for a game that is so widely praised of its PvP content like this game to miss a duel option. These are not contents impossible to make, the game is already coded in for many of these contents, but disabled.

I am not a PvP oriented gamer. If you ask me, I am more of a role player than anything. I do really like the game a lot, and like the players of the game even more. I felt that I needed to share some of my ideas to revitalize this aging old game. In my opinion, strengthening the battlegrounds will help a lot to that, and I hope you consider my proposal. Thanks for your time spent reading this.

#2 kazukimatsumoto

kazukimatsumoto

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 318 posts
  • LocationPlanet Earth ~
  • Server:Chaos Renewal

Posted 07 February 2015 - 11:50 PM

I tried inviting players in-game to the battlegrounds so we can farm those KVM points, but nobody seems to be interested. :omg:

The suggestions above are indeed great. I really love this post. :heh: :ok: :ok: :no1: :lv:

#3 Kadelia

Kadelia

Rainbow Sparkle, Go!

• Members
  • 14312 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA
  • Server:Chaos/Renewal

Posted 08 February 2015 - 08:31 AM

If they really wanted BG to be popular, they should have made WoE White/Blue/Violet Potions an inexpensive reward of BG, that way there'd be infinite demand to do BG, unlike now where you get your gear and you're done forever.

At this point they'd need to compete with woe1 investment potions. SO we'd need this:

WoE Rainbow Potion

* Obtained in boxes of 10 with 15 KVM, Valor, or Brave badge in battlegrounds.

Restores 12% HP, 5% SP, and cures [Silence], [External Bleeding], and [Hallucination] statuses. Adds 30% resistance to all abnormal statuses for the next 10 seconds.

Edited by Jaye, 08 February 2015 - 08:37 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users