#1 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

My Offline Life is Nonexistent.

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Sakray->Iris->Ymir->Chaos

Posted 16 February 2015 - 09:35 PM

Decided to see what RO would be like if the UI was modernized with common MMORPG UI features.

Friendlist Revamp
Character Window Revamp
Party Search Revamp
Vend Catalog Revamp
Auction Hall Revamp

1pyTZHw.png

The problem with RO right now is that a lot of its features go unused because the UI doesn't do a good job of advertising them. At all.

Buff/Debuff Display - Currently in RO, buff and debuff icons are displayed on the right side of the screen. This is a bad position for them because the game's window does not have much vertical real estate for the amount of buffs and debuffs a character can have. That is why modern MMORPGs put the icons on the top row of the screen: you get more real estate going horizontal (especially with widescreen monitors) and it's an easier line of sight when switching between looking at your character in the center zone of the screen and then glancing up to see what buffs and debuffs are on your character.

Quest Tracker Text - Because of the location of the buff/debuff display, the quest tracker is forced farther into the center zone. Since the quest system tracks monster kills in real-time over your character's head, there's no need to have the quest tracker text so close to the center zone where your character is. For this reason, modern MMORPGs place the quest tracker on the far right side of the screen. In this location, the quest tracker would be able to track more than 5 quests since it has more vertical real estate to use compared to the current location in-game.

Basic Info Window - Modern MMORPGs have this simply showing your character's HP and SP. Reason being because it acts as part of the party system when it's activated (as you can see). Currently in RO, this window is used as the menu window, which makes it very cluttered and puts its features out of sight (and therefore out of use). (The HP/SP bar that appears under your character's sprite will still be there and can be toggled on and off like it can be done now.)

Party UI - Modern MMORPGs have party members laid out like so to keep easier track of each party members' HP/SP depletion. Exact HP/SP values would be shown on the individual windows. Party members affected by debuffs will have their corresponding window blink red to let supporters know their fellow party members are in need of cures. HP and SP would deplete in real-time just like the current HP/SP bar that appears under your character's sprite.

UI Bar and Transparent Hotkeys - By taking the menu buttons and EXP bars out of the Basic Info Window, I put the information at the player's fingertips for quick access and MUCH better advertisement of RO's features such as the questlog and party booking. I've also made the hotkey bars transparent so they don't obscure too much of the center zone of the screen. (Mousing over the hotkey bar will reveal the outline of the box to allow for movability.) Taking a page from RO2, the menu icons would also be customizable in that you would be able to move the menu items around to suit your tastes. EXP bars would also show exact EXP values (again, forgot to show them in this mock-up).

Chat Box - The current width of the chat box in RO has bothered me for a very long time because it takes up SO much horizontal space at the bottom. Cutting it in half allows it to be easier to read through because your eyes aren't darting back and forth so long. All the current flexibility of the chat box (creating multiple tabs, separating windows, etc.) will still be preserved in this UI.

Map Window - I've added a MUCH-NEEDED server time display for players who don't live in the same region as the server. This makes it easier for players to keep track of time-sensitive things in the game such as quest timers and MVP respawn time.

Inventory Window - I relocated the Weight and Zeny display from the Basic Info Window here because it just makes more sense. When I'm adjusting my character's weight, I don't want to have to open 2 windows to do it. Same when I'm trying to see what I have in my inventory and want to track how much money I have to spend. I've also simplified the Lock Item Drop checkbox into just a lock icon next to the Weight display.

I'm well-aware many RO players are very much against modernizing RO in any way, but there is a reason why modern MMORPGs use basically the same UI. It just works.

EDIT: Changed UI Bar buttons to icons currently in kRO.
EDIT2: Made changes according to iRO RaidCall feedback.
EDIT3: Changed HP/SP window to match other windows and omitted the job class info. Added numbers to all HP, SP, and EXP bars according to community feedback.
EDIT4: Added example of a depleted party member.
EDIT5: Added examples of status effects on party members. (Affected party members would have their corresponding windows blinking with a light red hue to indicate they've been affected by debuffs.)
EDIT6: Added example of disconnected/logged out party member (greyed out).
EDIT7: Changed Inventory and Map windows to be more cohesive with everything else in the UI.
EDIT8: Added example of a dead party member.
EDIT9: Added map name to map window.

Edited by ZeroTigress, 07 October 2016 - 03:22 PM.

#2 kingarthur6687

kingarthur6687

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1877 posts
  • Server:iRO Chaos Renewal

Posted 17 February 2015 - 12:15 AM

Buff/Debuff Display

Against. The space up there is currently taken by global announcements. Having the status icons up there means the announcement text needs to come down lower and closer to the character which may be a nuisance given their flash-in-and-out nature.

I also have no problems with where the status icons already are, I don't believe they take up that much space.

Quest Tracker Text

Against. The quest tracker where it is right now already has plenty of space for more than 5 quests. The limitation sounds more like lazy/shoddy programming than one of design constraints.

Its current location also isn't close to the character and is conveniently placed such that two bits of informational data can be easily seen at a glance next to each other (status icons and quests).

Basic Info Window & UI Bar and Transparent Hotkeys

Neither for nor against these, though I have to ask is it really necessary to make the base/job exp bars so huge? They are negligible details on the grand scale of things, I would rather see that huge bar be HP/SP instead or just removed altogether and the base/job exp bars put back into the Basic Window.

Also, I fully realize this is a mockup, but the mockup's party window(s?) don't show numerical HP/SP data, something that RO currently has.

Chat Box

STRONGLY against. I like how wide the chat window in RO is, it allows for text to not be bunched together into several multiple lines and thus easier to read. I've seen short, stubby chat windows, and I find them simply annoying to use and read.

Map Window

Completely support this, I don't see why we don't have a server clock already.

Inventory Window

Completely support this, though me being an oldschool I do like seeing weight and zeny in the Basic Window.

------

I'd also like to mention that RO's current GUI is very user-friendly in that almost everything in the GUI that matters to the player, as long as it's a window (like the hotkey bars) can be moved and placed anywhere. Any rework should continue to have this customizability, rather than going "this is where X goes and you will like it".

Edited by kingarthur6687, 17 February 2015 - 12:18 AM.

#3 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 06:19 AM

Buff/Debuff Display
Against. The space up there is currently taken by global announcements. Having the status icons up there means the announcement text needs to come down lower and closer to the character which may be a nuisance given their flash-in-and-out nature.

I also have no problems with where the status icons already are, I don't believe they take up that much space.

The global announcements aren't actually displayed that high up into the top of the screen. Wouldn't be too much of an issue to move them down just below the proposed buff/debuff display space. With how much wider computer monitors are getting nowadays, it's easier to see your buffs/debuffs above the character rather than turning your head to the far right in the middle of battle. I'm sure people with smaller monitors would also appreciate this change.

On that note, I'd actually rather have the return of the Tip Window for important announcements instead of the constant announcements we have now. The tip window would be more effective and it wouldn't clog up the chat box. The current announcements system was designed for last-minute news like sudden server maintenances, not tips and constant reminders.

Quest Tracker Text
Against. The quest tracker where it is right now already has plenty of space for more than 5 quests. The limitation sounds more like lazy/shoddy programming than one of design constraints.

Its current location also isn't close to the character and is conveniently placed such that two bits of informational data can be easily seen at a glance next to each other (status icons and quests).

The current location is actually awkward since it's in a column next to the buffs/debuffs display column. The proposed location would allow more quests to fit in without clumping them too close together. There's just simply more freedom to play around with on the right side concerning the questtracker compared to keeping it in its current location. Perhaps you don't feel it with your monitor, but people with smaller monitors would appreciate this change.

Basic Info Window & UI Bar and Transparent Hotkeys
Neither for nor against these, though I have to ask is it really necessary to make the base/job exp bars so huge? They are negligible details on the grand scale of things, I would rather see that huge bar be HP/SP instead or just removed altogether and the base/job exp bars put back into the Basic Window.

Also, I fully realize this is a mockup, but the mockup's party window(s?) don't show numerical HP/SP data, something that RO currently has.

I already explained why the Info window was reduced to just showing HP/SP; it functions as part of the modern Party UI. Mousing-over the HP/SP bars on the Party UI and the EXP bars on the UI Bar would show the numerical values of each one. I just left out those numbers in this mock-up since I'm not showing a mouse-over.

And considering how very EXP-oriented RO players are, yes, it's necessary to make the EXP bars that way so players would be able to visually track how much EXP they have left until the next level rather than having to bounce back and forth between the chat box and the Info window. And I tried to make the EXP bars display as small as possible, but still readable. It's probably huge to players such as yourself because you're so used to seeing the EXP bars so tiny the current UI, but once you get used to it, it won't be that bad.

Chat Box
STRONGLY against. I like how wide the chat window in RO is, it allows for text to not be bunched together into several multiple lines and thus easier to read. I've seen short, stubby chat windows, and I find them simply annoying to use and read.

The chat box still bunches text together in its current form anyways, especially when you're in town where multiple people are talking at once so I fail to see how it's more of a problem with the width of the chat box shortened. The character limit and current functions would remain the same; I'm just asking to reduce the width by half by default (and of course text-wrap to fit properly). Most people have short conversations which doesn't always take up the full width of the current chat box. The system messages like EXP gain and skill usage also don't take up the full width of the current chat box either.

I dunno, perhaps the window should be allowed to be stretched widthwise for those who prefer a wider chatbox. If that would be fine with folks such as yourself.

Inventory Window
Completely support this, though me being an oldschool I do like seeing weight and zeny in the Basic Window.

Like I said, the design is for convenience and efficiency. Anything that has to do with inventory should be on the Inventory window, not shoved up on the Info window out of laziness.

I'd also like to mention that RO's current GUI is very user-friendly in that almost everything in the GUI that matters to the player, as long as it's a window (like the hotkey bars) can be moved and placed anywhere. Any rework should continue to have this customizability, rather than going "this is where X goes and you will like it".

As far as I can see, the only moveable windows (that you would constantly see) on the current UI are the Basic Info, chat box, and hotkeys (even then, they don't always stay in the same place you want them to be). The Buffs/Debuffs display and questtracker can't be moved at all and they still can't be moved in my proposal. But at least the map window would be movable in my proposed UI revamp. The hotkey bars would also remain movable in my proposed UI.

On a side note, I heard kRO has already changed the UI buttons into icons so if anyone has images of that, I'd like to get them to apply to my mock-up.

#4 kingarthur6687

kingarthur6687

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1877 posts
  • Server:iRO Chaos Renewal

Posted 17 February 2015 - 12:27 PM

On that note, I'd actually rather have the return of the Tip Window for important announcements instead of the constant announcements we have now. The tip window would be more effective and it wouldn't clog up the chat box. The current announcements system was designed for last-minute news like sudden server maintenances, not tips and constant reminders.

You greatly overestimate people's ability and interest to read. Stuffing announcements into a "Tip Window" means they will never be read. Ever. You need to force this stuff down people's throats in order for them to read, and even then they might still not acknowledge them.

I already explained why the Info window was reduced to just showing HP/SP; it functions as part of the modern Party UI. Mousing-over the HP/SP bars on the Party UI and the EXP bars on the UI Bar would show the numerical values of each one. I just left out those numbers in this mock-up since I'm not showing a mouse-over.

As a Priest I heavily rely on the numerical HP data that is provided to me so I can be efficient with my healing. Relegating that data to mouseovers, which RO currently provides at all times when the party window is opened, would be a huge and unneccesary inconvenience. Hiding information is not the way to go in an environment where real-time number crunching is heavily involved.

And considering how very EXP-oriented RO players are, yes, it's necessary to make the EXP bars that way so players would be able to visually track how much EXP they have left until the next level rather than having to bounce back and forth between the chat box and the Info window. And I tried to make the EXP bars display as small as possible, but still readable. It's probably huge to players such as yourself because you're so used to seeing the EXP bars so tiny the current UI, but once you get used to it, it won't be that bad.

I ask again: Is it really neccesary for the exp bars to be that huge? Specifically, that wide? When I actually care about my exp I read the specific percentage numbers (which incidentally the base exp percentage is provided at all times by RO if the Basic Window is minimized). I don't particularly look at the bars themselves beyond as a cursory curiosity from time to time, and I personally don't need such a wide exp bar for this.

HP/SP bars on the other hand have their amounts fluctuate all the time in combat. Having huge/wide bars for them makes relative damage, recovery, and consumption rates far easier to see, information that we immediately care about when we're in the thick of the fire.

Also, this is probably more of a semantics jab more than anything, but your mockup still has the user "bouncing back and forth" between the exp bars and the chat window. I think that specific argument at least with this design iteration fails to hold water. =P

I dunno, perhaps the window should be allowed to be stretched widthwise for those who prefer a wider chatbox. If that would be fine with folks such as yourself.

Having the width be user-customizable would be the best of all worlds, honestly. In lieu of that though, I will continue to argue that the chat window retain its current wideness for aforementioned reasons.

Like I said, the design is for convenience and efficiency. Anything that has to do with inventory should be on the Inventory window, not shoved up on the Info window out of laziness.

If anything I say duplicate the information in the two places. The Basic Info window serves as a place where, as it says on the tin, the basic characteristics of your character are listed at-a-glance. I don't need to open my inventory to check how much weight I have from picking up loot, I already have the Basic Info window that will provide me that info along with more pertinent information like my HP/SP all in one place.

As far as I can see, the only moveable windows (that you would constantly see) on the current UI are the Basic Info, chat box, and hotkeys

The Party Window is also movable and resizable, and any Priest worth his salt will always have this window open for easier management of heals and buffs. There are also a couple other windows that come to mind for specific classes and circumstances, but I don't know whether those would fall under your GUI revamp.

The hotkey bars would also remain movable in my proposed UI.

I actually presumed the hotkey bars would be locked in your mockup because I saw nothing to suggest they could be moved and/or resized. This is actually something nice that RO currently has, because most of RO's windows including the hotkey bars are not transparent affairs it's very clear where they begin and end and what functions they provide as far as customization.

Edited by kingarthur6687, 17 February 2015 - 12:32 PM.

#5 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 08:41 AM

Since my Character Window Revamp shows job class information, I went ahead and omitted that from the HP/SP window (and changed it to match the rest of the UI windows). Also added numbers to all the HP, SP, and EXP bars.

Edited by ZeroTigress, 20 February 2015 - 08:46 AM.

#6 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 06:24 PM

Added example of a dead party member.

#7 needmorezleep

needmorezleep

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1013 posts
  • Server:Classic

Posted 22 April 2015 - 01:18 AM

shame the client is such a horrible hardcoded mess im sure quite a few of us would of done this for ro already ourselves lol

some of these ui changes have been done by siriusblack though a few years ago not sure if the video is still up but hes done some fun stuff with his client rewrite

#8 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 10:16 AM

Since kRO's never going to modernize the UI, is there any other modern MMORPG UI stuff that people want to see mocked up?

#9 Inubashiri

Inubashiri

Loyal White Wolf

• Members
  • 7646 posts
  • LocationWaterfall of the Nine Heavens
  • Server:All

Posted 22 April 2015 - 12:27 PM

shame the client is such a horrible hardcoded mess im sure quite a few of us would of done this for ro already ourselves lol

some of these ui changes have been done by siriusblack though a few years ago not sure if the video is still up but hes done some fun stuff with his client rewrite

Since kRO's never going to modernize the UI, is there any other modern MMORPG UI stuff that people want to see mocked up?

I put in a request for them to add some type of GUI API that can be called with like an API key or something (figure it out later), I'd really like this for future integrated stuff like the bot report form.

#10 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 02:54 PM

I'm down for an add-on system a la WoW. :3

#11 ka10

ka10

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1810 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 05:37 PM

yeah chat box width;

have to drag it into the top corner; in the way when wanting to snap far on the lower screen (esp the lower left), even at its minimum of three lines;

FocQKTg.png

minimized basic window and line 1 of hotkey bar; does give wide open space though it's just a compromise; part of the chat is cutoff, could just turn it off completely but not everyone uses voice chat; still want to see (or at least notice) when gear breaks, etc; reverts to original position when relogging (mini-map reappears too);

what would be nice,

5th bar of hotkeys (1-0 # line; would really make it the 2nd bar from the top though);

drag-box on mouse hold when hovering over inventory/storage window for multiple item selection (yea sounds too advanced for RO www);

1-click full unequip button;

minimal UI mode, maybe reduces chat font size, non-intrusive shading (maybe even remove the box/border altogether and just have the words float; the thing with the chat box is the line where one types isn't transparent for targeting); at least a 15 cell (major), 12 cell (minor) radius ellipse centered on character free of obstacles for targeting /ok

ok probably said too much /e29

#12 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 07:01 AM

drag-box on mouse hold when hovering over inventory/storage window for multiple item selection (yea sounds too advanced for RO www);
1-click full unequip button;

Not even WoW has those options so I doubt kRO could even do it.

minimal UI mode, maybe reduces chat font size, non-intrusive shading (maybe even remove the box/border altogether and just have the words float; the thing with the chat box is the line where one types isn't transparent for targeting); at least a 15 cell (major), 12 cell (minor) radius ellipse centered on character free of obstacles for targeting /ok

I do believe F10 can minimize the chat box to just 1 line by pressing it 3 times or so. Have you tried that?

#13 ka10

ka10

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1810 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 12:53 PM

yea already knew that; can't see delivered messages though so out of the point; might as well just f-11 and close all boxes;

guess for now only high resolution monitors offer more free space w/out having to compromise;

#14 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 12:40 PM

Added map name to map window since it was looking kind of empty there.

#15 spikexp

spikexp

Too Legit To Quit

• Banned
  • 2181 posts
  • Server:Chaotic

Posted 26 November 2015 - 12:55 PM

how did i just now read this. auto +1

although most (if not all) mmorpg nowadays have the exact same layout... but why should we be sooooo unique if this helps a lot? ro is like a butt-naked person running around with other people wearing proper pants with different styles

#16 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 01:41 PM

how did i just now read this. auto +1

although most (if not all) mmorpg nowadays have the exact same layout... but why should we be sooooo unique if this helps a lot? ro is like a butt-naked person running around with other people wearing proper pants with different styles

Having the same UI layout isn't all that bad. It makes it easier to transition from one game to another, which would benefit RO extensively.

#17 RichieDagger

RichieDagger

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 929 posts
  • LocationUnder your bed.
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 26 November 2015 - 04:05 PM

I never cared for any one particular interface; I just deal with it until I get used to it. Off the top of my head, one thing I really liked that I haven't really seen in another game is primary and secondary equipment slots that you can toggle between like you have in D2.
Definitely need status/buff indicators with remaining duration for everything, regardless of where it's located.

Clear HP/SP bars and status for your party members is a given.

I don't really mind the basic window having all the menus, though it could stand to be cleaned up and reorganized.

#18 savior1

savior1

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 11:04 PM

this actually a really good suggestion / improvement towards the game... i believe many old timer will come back if ro made a huge improvements on UI.. the navigation system is good but i can improved more to be much better and easier to use... so far i really like the new friends tab, buying / selling tab (almost similar to world of warcraft auction house) , new party interface and small icons for menu.. kudos to ts!

#19 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 11:25 PM

Considering kRO has made poor attempts at teaching new players about the UI, it stands to reason that RO should adopt a more modernized layout for its UI so players coming from other games with a similar layout can get into the game easier because they're familiar with the UI thanks to other games that actually teach them about the UI.

#20 savior1

savior1

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 03:53 AM

Considering kRO has made poor attempts at teaching new players about the UI, it stands to reason that RO should adopt a more modernized layout for its UI so players coming from other games with a similar layout can get into the game easier because they're familiar with the UI thanks to other games that actually teach them about the UI.

yes, this i agree 100%

at least the idea that OP posted were very nice and the interface look much better than what we have right now

#21 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 11:02 AM

yes, this i agree 100%

at least the idea that OP posted were very nice and the interface look much better than what we have right now

One thing I hate about the current UI is that there's no cohesion with the UI design. Some windows have that old-fashion blue bar at the top while others have the updated windows without the blue bar (as you can see in my mock-up). It's like kRO can't decide if they want to go forward or backward with their UI design.

#22 RichieDagger

RichieDagger

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 929 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 07:05 AM

No more ANSI encoded text.

#23 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 11:27 AM

Wut?

#24 RichieDagger

RichieDagger

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 929 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 12:00 PM

Wut?

Unicode or something with more flexibility.

#25 Khaioz

Khaioz

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 671 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 29 December 2015 - 01:34 AM

The idea overall is very good considering people still play RO and yet there are no UI improvements
IMHO, the map part is absolutely important
It'll be easier for foreign players to know the server time without having to refer anywhere else
Also, the vent catalog is pretty good
No need to alt+tab frequently

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users