Create Classic Video Guides for VIP! *Updated* - **Community Contests and Events** - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo

Create Classic Video Guides for VIP! *Updated*

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
27 replies to this topic

#1 Oda

Oda

Overseas

• Community Managers
  • 10261 posts
  • Twitter:@Oda_CM
  • LocationAmatsu
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online

Posted 24 February 2015 - 06:49 PM

Here is the place to organize, propose and post so we can get some video guides for Classic. More will be added when I'm back in the office Thursday.

Guidelines: 

What we need: Clear, easy to understand guides for novice and intermediate players (as a start) that will help in a large area where RO is deficient: getting started in the game. There are a lot of systems (Guilds, upgrading, building characters) where players are pretty much expected to visit a wiki or read a FAQ to do. I think hearing and seeing guides on youtube would help to ease that learning curve while we also work on other ways to make the game less of an impossibility for new players. 

How to capture gameplay: Xellie has a guide here on how to record live video to twitch, you can use OBS in place of Fraps to record

Editing: If you don't want to get a subscription to Adobe premiere, Windows Movie Maker will do in a pinch. 

Format: I'll do some research into this on resolution, bitrate and it should be 720p minimum. 

Rewards: What I am proposing is a two tier system...1 week of VIP for 5 minute guides or unedited let's plays that show you how to do something. For longer in-depth guides or ones that show editing, captions and narration we can award up to and over 4 weeks of VIP for high quality efforts. 

Restrictions: No licensed music, no profanity. That's about it. We do want entertaining guides. 

Submission: Post the video in draft or complete form on your own youtube account and share the link with me-preferably it would be posted in this thread for other people to give feedback as well. If it isnt' up to snuff or could use some fine tuning, I'll make suggestions on how to improve. If it looks good, I'll get you a code to punch into the website that will give you VIP time. The video would then be uploaded to the Warpportal Youtube account with credit to the author. The video can be something you have already made, it does not need to be new to qualify as long as it meets the requirements of what we are looking for. 

Support we can give: If there are specific monsters, equipment or a testing environment you need to show that you would not be able to replicate by yourself you can ask for what you'll need and we can provide monster spawning, loaned equipment and moving you to the prison map to facilitate the video.

Video Guide Bounty Board:

These are the videos I feel like we need the most! Some of you have already said that you'll want to take one of these, we'll be adding more to the list as others get knocked out.

-RO basic controls and User Interface

-Rebirth Guide: Rate was working on this

-Character Creation and novice training grounds

-Stats and what they do for your character

-Basic 1st class stat build guide

-Elemental monsters, skills and damage

-Money making guide

-Jumping Janeway quest walkthrough

-Low Level Leveling guide

-Mid Level Leveling guide

-Repeatable TI quests

-Upgrading items

-Brewing

-Forging

Ideally we'd have videos of this quality up on our channel: 

#2 Gn1ydnu

Gn1ydnu

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2077 posts
  • LocationBoston
  • Server:Classic

Posted 24 February 2015 - 06:58 PM

We should figure out ASAP who would be interested in making videos and the format. From there we can pick and chose who wants to do what classes for job changes ect and also come up with ideas for the fillers. My idea for formating to keep it simple and organized, yet have a ton of information all together...

Example could look like.

Welcome to Ragnarok! Getting Started

How to move around the world of Midgard: Click Here (link to video)

How to use Kafra and what can their service do: Click Here (link to video)

Ect ect

First Job Classic Job Change

Swordsman Job Change: Click Here (link to video)

Additional Information on Swordsman Job Change: Click Here (link to irowiki guide)

Thief Job Change: Click Here ect

ect ect

Second Job Job Change

Crusader Job change: Click Here (link to video)

Additional Information on Knight Job Change: Click Here (link to irowiki guide)

Knight Job change: Click Here ect ect

ect ect

Expanded Classes Job Change

ect ect

Rebirth and Rebirth Job Change

ect ect

Basic Classic Mechanics

How Elemental Properties work: Click here (link to video)

Additional Information on How Elemental Properties Work: Click Here (link to irowiki page on element table)

ect ect

Advanced Classic Mechanics

How ASPD Effects After Cast Delay: Click here ect

ect ect

The main topics would be

1.Welcome to Ragnarok! Getting started!       (obviously very basic stuff that is esential to know. These would need most TLC)

2. First Job Change         (Probably next most crucial thing to provide information)

3. Second Job Change       (Makes sense)

4. Expanded Job Change    (^)

5. Rebirthing and Trans Job Changes      (Important later on)

6. Basic Mechanics of Ragnarok Online      (how elements work, weapon types do different damages to different sized monsters, ect ect)

7. Advanced Mechanics of Ragnarok Online     (how aspd effects after cast delay, "dancing skills" ect ect)

Of course filling it in will require many peoples thoughts and the possibilities are endless.

Thoughts?

#3 AlmrOfAtlas

AlmrOfAtlas

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6533 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 24 February 2015 - 07:00 PM

Well, I'd like to see a runthrough of the new Asgard area, the Janeway quests (hopefully featuring party play so that Gargs are do-able with fresh characters), the monster TI boards so that people know where to level concurrently, and finally touching upon the map-based TIs to hit 99. Something that takes the viewer from creation to capping out hopefully dispelling the myth that it's "hard" and "tedious" to level on a x1 Pre-Renewal server.

Edited by AlmrOfAtlas, 24 February 2015 - 07:05 PM.

#4 Themes

Themes

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1412 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 09:11 PM

Agree with Undying, you need to set out some ground rules for creating the content to be used for this. For new player content you probably want to keep it super short and specific, running/hitting/looting/potting/stats/skills/emotes/partying and direct them to important ingame places (tool/weapon dealers, asgard etc).

I'm preparing some things for irowiki about the following:

• Janeway runthrough
  • Current repeatable turnins (the ones people know about on the maps, the weird bounty boards hidden random places, the ones in magma etc) with some specifics for stuff like Dragons for anyone who is curious about getting involved.
  • Leveling options/methods/tips/locations probably nothing class specific but mention the two things above and other places someone may be interested in going, talk about spotlight events etc

I've been talking with new players in Asgard last couple of days and the last two are really important I think. Janeway is fairly straightforward people just start to hit a wall around Archer Skel and I dont think anyone I've spoken to has beaten Gargoyles except for a Crusader/Wizard team as most people are stuck doing it alone right now. The two guys who did just asked me "what now?" so they need some guidance, I also feel that Janeway isnt quite done yet, you still really need some gear to go along with your weapon and have Janeway point you in the direction of some further options, probably the other turnins around the world.

I'm not capable of making any video content, but if people want to do some stuff for the above stuff I can include links to it.

#5 AmericanPie

AmericanPie

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 612 posts
  • LocationPVP Waiting Room

Posted 24 February 2015 - 11:40 PM

can someone propose the software used and frame setting?

I use fraps with 60 fps, so laggy until I cannot play..

I saw Xellie's thread previously but that one is for broadcasting right.. and i forgot where it's placed

Edited by AmericanPie, 24 February 2015 - 11:41 PM.

#6 Misos

Misos

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 158 posts
  • LocationUnder your bed.

Posted 25 February 2015 - 09:54 AM

I saw Xellie's thread previously but that one is for broadcasting right.. and i forgot where it's placed

http://forums.warppo...am-ro-gameplay/

#7 Oda

Oda

Overseas

• Community Managers
  • 10261 posts
  • LocationAmatsu

Posted 02 March 2015 - 08:28 AM

The main brunt of the anniversary quest is done so besides creating new pages and newsletter contents for the pRO migration I can jump into facilitating this project. 

#8 Oda

Oda

Overseas

• Community Managers
  • 10261 posts
  • LocationAmatsu

Posted 12 March 2015 - 08:53 PM

Updated with guidelines for submission! Hopefully this helps to jump-start the guide making!

#9 Rate

Rate

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1114 posts
  • Server:bad news

Posted 13 March 2015 - 10:06 PM

What about rewards for collaborations? ie: MvP guides/small party leveling guides/etc

#10 AlmrOfAtlas

AlmrOfAtlas

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6533 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 12:49 AM

Hopefully the CMs will exercise discretion and not reward streamers for any old thing to do with RO. Anything can technically be considered a "guide" if that word is in the title. CMs need to look over each video carefully to determine if it's worth VIP time, or if it's just an incidental video of some person doing random "interesting" -_- that helps no one and answers nobody's question but their own.

#11 Oda

Oda

Overseas

• Community Managers
  • 10261 posts
  • LocationAmatsu

Posted 14 March 2015 - 12:48 PM

What about rewards for collaborations? ie: MvP guides/small party leveling guides/etc

The VIP time would be going to the person recording and editing together the video,  Maybe some kind of ingame consumables? Since it's a creative thing I'd like to get some kind of hat earmarked for people who are putting together a lot of good guides. 

#12 Oda

Oda

Overseas

• Community Managers
  • 10261 posts
  • LocationAmatsu

Posted 18 March 2015 - 10:20 AM

This is the model I'd like to use for the training videos and how I'd like to present them on the site when they are prepared 

http://www.elitedang...guide/training/

#13 Oda

Oda

Overseas

• Community Managers
  • 10261 posts
  • LocationAmatsu

Posted 24 March 2015 - 08:53 AM

We'll open this up to Renewal guides, but I would like to focus on getting people started on pre-renewal. A lot of the videos like how elemental weapons work and the like would work for both servers. 

#14 Franchu1991

Franchu1991

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 193 posts
  • LocationSpain
  • Server:Taking a break

Posted 24 March 2015 - 08:59 AM

Just throwing my opinion in here...

RO had a nice area where you could learn some basics from the game: Novice Grounds. They're no longer available on iRO.

#15 ChaoticRK

ChaoticRK

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3228 posts
  • Locationprt_fild08

Posted 26 March 2015 - 11:32 AM

Just throwing my opinion in here...

RO had a nice area where you could learn some basics from the game: Novice Grounds. They're no longer available on iRO.

I myselft did not learn from it even though I usually don't skip it and dive into the Ragnarok universe instantly. I learned basic things inside Ragnarok from experiencing it rather than reading the dialogs that the NPCs shows.

With the technology today, a video is the best way to show and teach the basics of a game. There are even a bunch of people doing anime reaction on youtube. :heh: People don't read anymore. They are more into watching and listening.

Can I do character creation guide? :heh:

Edited by ChaoticRK, 27 March 2015 - 06:40 AM.

#16 Phil

Phil

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 583 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 04:27 AM

Oda, you're about to receive a bunch of vids from me :) ranging from job change, transcending, turnins, event quests, quests, Asgard intro, etc.

#17 Oda

Oda

Overseas

• Community Managers
  • 10261 posts
  • LocationAmatsu

Posted 02 April 2015 - 07:33 AM

Ok, looking forward to it Phil!

Can I do character creation guide? :heh:

Yes, of course!

#18 hoikarnage

hoikarnage

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1876 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 12:21 PM

So you are only looking for guides on Classic server then?

#19 Oda

Oda

Overseas

• Community Managers
  • 10261 posts
  • LocationAmatsu

Posted 06 April 2015 - 01:06 PM

So you are only looking for guides on Classic server then?

I will expand this to Renewal soon. 

#20 Xaurym

Xaurym

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 44 posts
  • LocationRune-Midgarts Kingdom
  • Server:Loki

Posted 27 May 2015 - 03:11 PM

Well dang. I wish I would have known this existed sooner. Might start my youtube playlist from scratch. After reading these guidelines I don't feel like my videos are quite up to par.

#21 Crazymilktea

Crazymilktea

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • LocationMississauga, Ontario
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 06 January 2016 - 08:02 AM

I wonder if my twitch page works?

I basically do live stream everyday, and sometimes I do live stream farming for like 3 or 4 hours a day...?

#22 Necrohealiac

Necrohealiac

10,000 posts and not even a Tiki-Shirt.

• Members
  • 13389 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 09:22 AM

not sure how farming helps new players

#23 Crazymilktea

Crazymilktea

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 11:43 AM

To earn zeny?

well at least thats the way I earn my zeny *swt*

#24 Necrohealiac

Necrohealiac

10,000 posts and not even a Tiki-Shirt.

• Members
  • 13389 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 12:11 PM

people don't really need to see you live streaming 3-4 hrs of farming to get the idea though. you could just write a guide about it instead.

#25 Crazymilktea

Crazymilktea

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 12:43 PM

nvm what i asked, thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users