Serious Reevaluation of the Volunteer Mod Program - Page 20 - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
* * * - - 4 votes

Serious Reevaluation of the Volunteer Mod Program

• Please log in to reply
518 replies to this topic

#476 PervySageMarty

PervySageMarty

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3958 posts
  • LocationUnderground like a wild potato
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 18 May 2015 - 06:03 AM

If I was allowed to be a Mod I would edit everyones post to make them sound very sexual.

#477 AlmrOfAtlas

AlmrOfAtlas

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6533 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 18 May 2015 - 06:07 AM

If I was allowed to be a Mod I would edit everyones post to make them sound very sexual.

And then you would no longer be a mod  :ok:

#478 Cinquine

Cinquine

Too Legit To Quit

• Artist Alley Alliance
  • 1063 posts
  • Server:Both

Posted 18 May 2015 - 06:57 AM

We're not entirely sure that they don't swap and share accounts, are we?

TinFoilHatAreaOnly.jpg

#479 Inubashiri

Inubashiri

Loyal White Wolf

• Members
  • 7646 posts
  • LocationWaterfall of the Nine Heavens
  • Server:All

Posted 18 May 2015 - 07:51 AM

We're not entirely sure that they don't swap and share accounts, are we?

In the earlier discussion of this thread, I stated that being un-anonymous make them feel more responsible for their actions:

That is the most absurd thing I ever heard.  VMods for the most part don't know who one another are.  Can we stop making up things to make this situation worse?  There is no proof of this and even if there was, you guys wouldn't be in possession of it.

If necro bumping (which was explained in the bump) is the worst that can be cited for the RO1 VMods, you're grasping at straws at this point and have an axe to grind outside of that.  If you have such concerns direct them into a PM to the boss and be done with it.  The mod in question asked me if that was appropriate or make a new topic, I told the mod that I thought the bump was okay because I felt the mod making a topic about it wasn't appropriate and wouldn't get a good discussion.

I have the upmost confidence in the mods we have for RO1 and personally will defend them if I find nothing wrong was done.  9/10 its usually the other party being a wanker to begin with and refuses to stop.

Edited by Inubashiri, 18 May 2015 - 07:53 AM.

#480 Alathea

Alathea

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 351 posts
  • LocationLuina
  • Server:Renewal-Chaos

Posted 18 May 2015 - 08:38 AM

That is the most absurd thing I ever heard.  VMods for the most part don't know who one another are.  Can we stop making up things to make this situation worse?  There is no proof of this and even if there was, you guys wouldn't be in possession of it.

Just citing a worst case scenario. I'm sorry it is making the situation worse. See the thing is, this system isn't transparent and with its inconsistencies, the worst seems to be possible.

It seems like the thread is now being taken as a personal attack even when it wasn't. Maybe for others it was just the necro bump but for most, and I hope it gets acknowledge, there are a lot of issues in the system that needs to be addressed.

I hope for the best to all the mods. Good luck.

Edited by Alathea, 18 May 2015 - 08:40 AM.

#481 Cinquine

Cinquine

Too Legit To Quit

• Artist Alley Alliance
  • 1063 posts
  • Server:Both

Posted 18 May 2015 - 08:49 AM

Just citing a worst case scenario. I'm sorry it is making the situation worse. See the thing is, this system isn't transparent and with its inconsistencies, the worst seems to be possible.

It seems like the thread is now being taken as a personal attack even when it wasn't. Maybe for others it was just the necro bump but for most, and I hope it gets acknowledge, there are a lot of issues in the system that needs to be addressed.

I hope for the best to all the mods. Good luck.

It would be helpful if Oda explained more about what the mods can do/can't do, and what tools they have.

#482 schia

schia

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1356 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 08:52 AM

i'm more concerned that the volunteer mods are too afraid to do any actions against certain members of the community due to their ability to go throw a tantrum directly at Oda when ever something doesn't happen their way.  VMODs should not feel threatened or punished for doing or attempting to do their jobs.

#483 Inubashiri

Inubashiri

Loyal White Wolf

• Members
  • 7646 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 08:53 AM

"lots of issues" "transparency", where are theses issues within the weeks or few months? Transparency? What more do you want, the identity of each mod next? It's going to a realm of ridiculous at this point. Most of you sound like you got solutions looking for problems rather than visa versa.

#484 schia

schia

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1356 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 08:59 AM

Pretty sure this has nothing to do with transparency and more so to do with VMODs getting extreme backlash against a select few of the classic community when ever they try to do their jobs to clean things up.  Then getting even more backlash when they become too afraid to continue doing their jobs because of even more potential headache from even more established community members.

Like i said, VMODs should not feel afraid of doing their job because someone can just go directly to the community managers to whine when things don't go their way.

#485 Inubashiri

Inubashiri

Loyal White Wolf

• Members
  • 7646 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 09:19 AM

Pretty sure this has nothing to do with transparency and more so to do with VMODs getting extreme backlash against a select few of the classic community when ever they try to do their jobs to clean things up.  Then getting even more backlash when they become too afraid to continue doing their jobs because of even more potential headache from even more established community members.

Like i said, VMODs should not feel afraid of doing their job because someone can just go directly to the community managers to whine when things don't go their way.

The word transparent or transparency is sprinkled throughout this thread.  So pretty sure it does.

#486 Alathea

Alathea

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 351 posts
  • LocationLuina
  • Server:Renewal-Chaos

Posted 18 May 2015 - 09:45 AM

It would be helpful if Oda explained more about what the mods can do/can't do, and what tools they have.

^ yes,please.

But http://forums.warppo...olunteer-roles/ some guidelines and then some not being followed.

Edited by Alathea, 18 May 2015 - 09:47 AM.

#487 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

My Offline Life is Nonexistent.

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts
  • Server:Sakray->Iris->Ymir->Chaos

Posted 18 May 2015 - 10:32 AM

I have the upmost confidence in the mods we have for RO1 and personally will defend them if I find nothing wrong was done.  9/10 its usually the other party being a wanker to begin with and refuses to stop.

Most people on the forums view the number/food VMods as a collective whole rather than separate groups assigned to certain sections of the forums like the named VMods are. Aside from us few regulars, players coming to the forums for the first time aren't going to be able to figure out which number/food VMod moderates which sections; they're going to assume they all monitor every part of the forums. At least the original version of the VMod Program made that distinction clear.

ALL VMods should've been trained using the moderator guidelines as the basis, not just those from one section of the forums. Problems arose because this was not the case. The VMod Program shouldn't be a competition between VMods from different sections; they all have the same duty to uphold the rules of the forums objectively without taking things personally.

#488 Quanta

Quanta

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 350 posts
  • Server:Chaos/Loki

Posted 18 May 2015 - 10:34 AM

Wouldn't game-related names be better for showing which mods moderate the different sections? 

#489 Necrohealiac

Necrohealiac

10,000 posts and not even a Tiki-Shirt.

• Members
  • 13389 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 10:43 AM

Most people on the forums view the number/food VMods as a collective whole rather than separate groups assigned to certain sections of the forums like the named VMods are. Aside from us few regulars, players coming to the forums for the first time aren't going to be able to figure out which number/food VMod moderates which sections; they're going to assume they all monitor every part of the forums. At least the original version of the VMod Program made that distinction clear.

ALL VMods should've been trained using the moderator guidelines as the basis, not just those from one section of the forums. Problems arose because this was not the case. The VMod Program shouldn't be a competition between VMods from different sections; they all have the same duty to uphold the rules of the forums objectively without taking things personally.

Oda just needs to pin the post where he introduced the new food mods. I'm pretty sure the games that they covered were listed there, no?

#490 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • Twitter:@nekoxellie
  • LocationValhalla
  • Server:Europe ban!

Posted 18 May 2015 - 10:52 AM

Those complaining about the necro bump are just looking for problems. The thing about dealing with people is that sometimes, the rules are applied or adhered to differently depending on the situation. This is true of most common law too.

Secondly, wow, Oda. Mods, Inu. We ALL know they're just complaining over one post I made and over the smiley thread. How is it that this sort of thing is ok for a community member to have to sit through and deal with. It's ridiculous. It's stressful. They're dragging in people who don't know what they're talking about and they are, as I understand it, players who don't even really have any investment on Classic.

see: Schia accusing me of taking Valhalla to renewal and ruining the server, repeated goon posts, repeated posts making stuff up, calling me selfish, etc. This is merely an extension of that. Oh I've been aggressive in my responses sometimes? Who isn't in the face of all that? This is harassment and now they're trying to drag the mods in. You have braincells Oda. DO SOMETHING. And don't put on the bias brownpants. You can't just let the community intimidate others en masse because political guild drama bandwagon or because it's cool. If I was a mod, or Inu, or any other volunteer you would go above and beyond to protect them, even in the face of bias claims.

So give me the same consideration. Because this is getting stupid. You haven't laid down a single word saying it's NOT OK to personally attack me, or to insult my guild (look at how many days and reports we had to send in over that) and this is the result Oda. They think they can continue pushing the envelope.

I have been patient. I have tried to take it as much as a normal user could be expected to. I am not paid, like your mods, or volunteers, or staff.  So don't ask me to act like one in response.

#491 schia

schia

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1356 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 10:57 AM

gotta love all the half truths and made up bull coming from 1 particular member.  The truth hurts doesn't it?  People taking their frustrations out on the VMODs and community managers seems to be a common trend and one of the reasons why they are so hesitant on wanting to do the proper thing.

Oda: User has been put on probation for this post.

#492 Necrohealiac

Necrohealiac

• Members
  • 13389 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 10:57 AM

see: Schia accusing me of taking Valhalla to renewal

why wasn't I told of this

#493 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 18 May 2015 - 11:00 AM

why wasn't I told of this

More importantly, why wasn't I told of this. You'd think I'd have a right to know if I take my guild to renewal.

edit: After schia said that on the forums I started getting people logging on to classic and sending me threatening PMs lol. I'll share them with you in PM if you like. Wish Renewal would keep it's political drama on renewal tbh

Edited by Xellie, 18 May 2015 - 11:02 AM.

#494 Necrohealiac

Necrohealiac

• Members
  • 13389 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 11:01 AM

touche

#495 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 11:03 AM

Wouldn't game-related names be better for showing which mods moderate the different sections?

We already have VMod groups set up for each game, they just need to sort the number/food VMods into them like they did with the named VMods.

Oda just needs to pin the post where he introduced the new food mods. I'm pretty sure the games that they covered were listed there, no?

Unless he only pins it in the RO1 section, which defeats the intent of taking ownership of ALL VMods and not just those moderating RO1.

#496 Inubashiri

Inubashiri

Loyal White Wolf

• Members
  • 7646 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 11:04 AM

gotta love all the half truths and made up bull coming from 1 particular member.  The truth hurts doesn't it?  People taking their frustrations out on the VMODs and community managers seems to be a common trend and one of the reasons why they are so hesitant on wanting to do the proper thing.

And what is wrong with exercising restraint?  Exercising restraint is more powerful than the power itself.  Really you need to stop making these baseless claims that you have no proof to backup, for all you know things are settled privately.  There is a time for action and a time for diplomacy. 

#497 Necrohealiac

Necrohealiac

• Members
  • 13389 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 11:04 AM

Oda's announcement included all the food mods and what games they covered. it doesn't matter where he pins it, as long as it's pinned.

#498 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 11:07 AM

Oda's announcement included all the food mods and what games they covered. it doesn't matter where he pins it, as long as it's pinned.

And how would that inform everyone if it's limited to one game's part of the forums? It seems kind of silly to have that kind of information limited to a certain game section when it affects the forums as a whole.

Really, how hard is it to put that thread in here?

#499 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 18 May 2015 - 11:10 AM

And how would that inform everyone if it's limited to one game's part of the forums? It seems kind of silly to have that kind of information limited to a certain game section when it affects the forums as a whole.

Really, how hard is it to put that thread in here?

Since Oda's post contained RO1 specific information it would make more sense for the CM of each section to make a similar post for each game.

That and/or the other section's userbases aren't such babies about moderation/coloured names/titles thus it isn't necessary.

#500 Necrohealiac

Necrohealiac

• Members
  • 13389 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 11:35 AM

the mods certainly don't seem to have any problems poking around in other game threads; the masses can do the same.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users