Serious Reevaluation of the Volunteer Mod Program - Page 4 - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
* * * - - 4 votes

Serious Reevaluation of the Volunteer Mod Program

• Please log in to reply
518 replies to this topic

#76 OniichanN

OniichanN

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1812 posts
  • LocationCroatia
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 04 April 2015 - 10:34 PM

That idea would be nice if it didn't just mean it'd become a popularity contest. There are people who are "well known" in the community who aren't necessarily helpful but would get voted in based on friends, meanwhile there are more quiet users who might be good for the job who'd get overlooked because they don't stick out quite as much.

This. I don't trust us to pick reasonably. lel

#77 Astralslayer

Astralslayer

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 519 posts
  • LocationFar Far away~~

The problem with polls and voting is it often ends up being skewed. Remember the MMO bomb contest (someone botted the polls and got Ragnarok disqualified)? Popularity contests can create problems of their own, and I don't think being popular on a forum necessarily equals a good moderator.

That idea would be nice if it didn't just mean it'd become a popularity contest. There are people who are "well known" in the community who aren't necessarily helpful but would get voted in based on friends, meanwhile there are more quiet users who might be good for the job who'd get overlooked because they don't stick out quite as much.

popularity =/= Good moderator. Everyone knows that. Personally I know people with 100 posts and being more helpful than some people with 5k posts that just like to sh!tpost a thread and not helping at all. If other players can't notice that, then the problem isn't VMods, It's the community.

And it's odd, because i've been in 4 different forums and voting always worked, just in ro the system is broken :v

#78 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • Twitter:@nekoxellie
  • LocationValhalla
  • Server:Europe ban!

I'm really unpopular, I'd be a good mod!

... no you guys can keep that job I don't want it. Better you than me coffee.

#79 VModCoffee

VModCoffee

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 10:42 PM

“ It does not matter where you are from - or how you feel... there is always peace in a strong cup of coffee.  ”

I put on my robe and wizard hat and gracefully exit the thread.

#80 Alaska

Alaska

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 4817 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Canada

Posted 04 April 2015 - 10:43 PM

everyone knows that but you'd be naive to think they'd follow it...

#81 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 04 April 2015 - 10:44 PM

You know who else liked coffee?

Edited by Xellie, 04 April 2015 - 10:44 PM.

#82 beaupoem

beaupoem

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4239 posts
  • LocationMora

Posted 04 April 2015 - 10:45 PM

I've been told by Oda several times that if I have grievances with a VMod I should not PM them or associate with them in any way, because Mod Guidelines state that they are not allowed to respond to such PMs, and go straight to him instead. Thoughts?

If in the event a user wishes to PM a moderator about a decision, the moderator MUST add a Community Manager to the conversation so that all messages are properly monitored by someone of a higher authority.

If a user chooses to PM a moderator, the right of moderation protest is automatically forfeited.

not really sure what that 2nd line means. maybe if you PM the mod first, then it's considered "working it out on your own" and CMs can't reverse the decision? so even though they're required to add a CM to the convo, the CM would literally just be "monitoring" it? it's all just really confusing

#83 AlmrOfAtlas

AlmrOfAtlas

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6533 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 04 April 2015 - 10:52 PM

“ It does not matter where you are from - or how you feel... there is always peace in a strong cup of coffee.  ”

I put on my robe and wizard hat and gracefully exit the thread.

ZyOIOpM.jpg

#84 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 04 April 2015 - 10:53 PM

Is Mussolini a wizard?

banned my new friend

Edited by Xellie, 04 April 2015 - 10:53 PM.

#85 AlmrOfAtlas

AlmrOfAtlas

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6533 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 10:54 PM

Is Mussolini a wizard?

banned my new friend

But Mussolini was a Wizard too. He made the trains run on time.

#86 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 04 April 2015 - 10:56 PM

k

THIS ISN'T OVER COFFEE! WE SHALL MEET AGAIN

#87 Inubashiri

Inubashiri

Loyal White Wolf

• Members
  • 7646 posts
  • LocationWaterfall of the Nine Heavens
  • Server:All

Posted 04 April 2015 - 11:12 PM

Honestly, I'm sleepy and I didn't read most of the topic lol. But from my experiences in other forums, the most "transparent" way to pick moderators is with a poll where every player can vote for any candidate. I'm not sure if this forum's plataform could allow It. Let me try an example:

Thread #1 By Oda/Campitor

Now the season to be candidate for VMod is up (could be idk, 3 days for time limit?)

People who wanted to be mod (at the end of the thread)

-Potato-Kun

-Avocado-Senpai

-Nasty-Pear

-sh!tposting

-sh!tposting

-Banana-Sama

-sh!tposting

-sh!tposting

-sh!tposting

-Milky-Cow

-sh!tposting

After the event period, a Thread with a poll could be created with only the people that wanted to be a VMod (TEMPORAL mod). If It's not possible, a GM could make a Thread with X posts (in this example 5 candidates) with 1 different name each (1 post = 1 candidate) locked and pinned and every member on forums can upvote a post. (since you can see who upvoted wich post). Only people with idk, 100 posts or 2 months can be considered a valid vote, and one person voting twice or more won't be considered either.

tl:dr

Let us decide who deserves to be a VMod, It will make it way easier for everyone, because we know who's helpful and who's just an useless troll

popularity =/= Good moderator. Everyone knows that. Personally I know people with 100 posts and being more helpful than some people with 5k posts that just like to sh!tpost a thread and not helping at all. If other players can't notice that, then the problem isn't VMods, It's the community.

And it's odd, because i've been in 4 different forums and voting always worked, just in ro the system is broken :v

I'm going to make an example out of this because this is exactly the kind of stuff that gets us in trouble with the user base.  This is not a personal attack so don't take it that way please.

Mods have to enforce the rules regardless of their relationship with those people and the rule is: "Posting content that is blocked by our Word Filter. Do not add spaces or modify the word so it gets around the word filter. The words are blocked for a reason."

Now for a cookie can you point out what the problem is with these quotes?  I didn't knock this over because right now the mods are sitting on a hot bed of coals and i'm doing my best to not make this worse because they can't defend themselves so its up to the named mods to do it.  But this is exactly what triggers an episode of escalation because we edit this stuff and then you get hot under the color like you'd just had duct tape put over your mouth or something and then come back and just keep doing it and then WE have to escalate our actions which then stirs up the community because X user will claim they are being oppressed and be a victim when the truth is they broke the rules and can't accept the consequences of their actions.

Edited by Inubashiri, 04 April 2015 - 11:12 PM.

#88 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 04 April 2015 - 11:18 PM

can you use a different letter than X? I'm getting a complex now

#89 Inubashiri

Inubashiri

Loyal White Wolf

• Members
  • 7646 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 11:21 PM

can you use a different letter than X? I'm getting a complex now

I'm a math/computer science major, I think in terms of variables so x, y, z or i, j, k or a, b, c.

:(

#90 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 04 April 2015 - 11:22 PM

I'm a physics major but still....

#91 Alathea

Alathea

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 351 posts
  • LocationLuina
  • Server:Renewal-Chaos

Posted 04 April 2015 - 11:23 PM

Honestly, I'm sleepy and I didn't read most of the topic lol. But from my experiences in other forums, the most "transparent" way to pick moderators is with a poll where every player can vote for any candidate. I'm not sure if this forum's plataform could allow It. Let me try an example:

Thread #1 By Oda/Campitor

Now the season to be candidate for VMod is up (could be idk, 3 days for time limit?)

People who wanted to be mod (at the end of the thread)

-Potato-Kun

-Avocado-Senpai

-Nasty-Pear

-sh!tposting

-sh!tposting

-Banana-Sama

-sh!tposting

-sh!tposting

-sh!tposting

-Milky-Cow

-sh!tposting

After the event period, a Thread with a poll could be created with only the people that wanted to be a VMod (TEMPORAL mod). If It's not possible, a GM could make a Thread with X posts (in this example 5 candidates) with 1 different name each (1 post = 1 candidate) locked and pinned and every member on forums can upvote a post. (since you can see who upvoted wich post). Only people with idk, 100 posts or 2 months can be considered a valid vote, and one person voting twice or more won't be considered either.

tl:dr

Let us decide who deserves to be a VMod, It will make it way easier for everyone, because we know who's helpful and who's just an useless troll

Democracy at its finest. XD Ideal, yes, but not entirely practical. These Mods are just human after all and they are bound to slip. What then would happen if they do? Would the voters of the mod get blamed? Would there be a Mod impeachment? 

I am for the reevaluation of the VMod program. Some mod actions have blurred the line as of late and it confuses members (i.e. me) as to when and where this line is crossed. Inconsistencies are surfacing and this has caused a bit of upheaval in the memberbase. Hence this thread.

#92 Inubashiri

Inubashiri

Loyal White Wolf

• Members
  • 7646 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 11:30 PM

Democracy at its finest. XD Ideal, yes, but not entirely practical. These Mods are just human after all and they are bound to slip. What then would happen if they do? Would the voters of the mod get blamed? Would there be a Mod impeachment? 

I am for the reevaluation of the VMod program. Some mod actions have blurred the line as of late and it confuses members (i.e. me) as to when and where this line is crossed. Inconsistencies are surfacing and this has caused a bit of upheaval in the memberbase. Hence this thread.

I like to believe in forgiveness, human is human, even I've messed up over the years and I apologized and we moved on.  There is no substitute for experience, you can quote rules, regulations, blah blah blah but nobody is born with the knowledge of something, it has to be learned like walking...you fall down many times before you get it right.

Inconsistencies aside, it'll just have to be addressed Monday.  Lots of jobs make you retrain after so many years or months or w/e to keep your certification, this should probably be the case here.

#93 Alathea

Alathea

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 351 posts
  • LocationLuina

Posted 05 April 2015 - 12:04 AM

...it has to be learned like walking...you fall down many times before you get it right.

Inconsistencies aside, it'll just have to be addressed Monday.  Lots of jobs make you retrain after so many years or months or w/e to keep your certification, this should probably be the case here.

While the process of learning is long and difficult, I do hope that those who stumble do indeed learn. I have enough faith that the people in question would but as to how and when, I cannot tell. Maybe this uncertain is what disgruntles members?

I believe retraining is a part of a continuing education.Even the most knowledgeable person need this. Monday it is then :)

Edited by Alathea, 05 April 2015 - 12:05 AM.

#94 Inubashiri

Inubashiri

Loyal White Wolf

• Members
  • 7646 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 12:08 AM

I'm sure Oda will address it, sure he's not looking forward to it but I have confidence he will.  I briefed him on the situation via text messages and he peaked in but ya know its holidays and really this isn't something that can't wait til he's officially back at work.  I hate having to do stuff on my days off because some client wants to be unreasonable, but then software breaks and if they are losing money it is what it is but most can always wait so I wouldn't wish this on anyone.

#95 schia

schia

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1356 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 12:10 AM

so if mods are asleep are we allowed to post coffee x cinnamon shipping?

125644__table-grain-saucer-cup-coffee-dr

#96 Alathea

Alathea

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 351 posts
  • LocationLuina

Posted 05 April 2015 - 12:14 AM

I'm sure Oda will address it, sure he's not looking forward to it but I have confidence he will.  I briefed him on the situation via text messages and he peaked in but ya know its holidays and really this isn't something that can't wait til he's officially back at work.  I hate having to do stuff on my days off because some client wants to be unreasonable, but then software breaks and if they are losing money it is what it is but most can always wait so I wouldn't wish this on anyone.

Perfectly understandable :) Happy Easter Weekend~

#97 Tkwan

Tkwan

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2260 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 03:15 AM

When someone is given mod powers and that person is someone that has always wanted mod powers, that's an instant red flag to reevaluate a potential mod candidate. A better candidate wouldn't be happy to take the job but takes it anyways knowing full well the stress and responsibility it entails.

No, I don't want to be a mod, I've already refused.

:p_smile:

#98 Rate

Rate

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1114 posts
  • Server:bad news

Posted 05 April 2015 - 05:04 AM

allowing posting status updates and kawaii facebook -_- on mod accounts shows how stupid the system is. these mods constantly remove posts based on their opinion of the topic, and now we have to guess who is censoring the forum. 

bring back irowiki :(

#99 6773131031232342973

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1483 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Violet
  • Server:Best ragnarok

Posted 05 April 2015 - 05:55 AM

remove mods plox i want to post CP

Edited by 6773131031232342973, 05 April 2015 - 05:56 AM.

#100 Vehona

Vehona

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 465 posts
  • Server:Yggdrasil

Posted 05 April 2015 - 06:22 AM

I find it unfair that we can't post CP. Is it just because they're small?

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users