Are supporting, healing Mages useful? - Magician Class - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo

Are supporting, healing Mages useful?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Trancua

Trancua

I am New.

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • LocationEl Salvador

Posted 20 November 2010 - 05:19 PM

So I'm pretty new to this game, and I made a mage as my first class. Normally, I'm a sorcerer/priest type character in other MMORPG games, so I decided to be one in this game as well.
I quickly skimmed through some mage guides in this forum, and decided on a build for a supportive caster. But so far, in the first job (before level 20), it seems like supportive casters aren't needed at all. Nobody in the party rarely takes damage, and my own damage output is laughable. I'm normally the bottom feeder at the end of every mission. It's kinda sad.

So, I'm asking, should I keep going with my dream to make a supportive healer in the future, or should I scrap this character and try a more offensive mage? Are mages in general any good compared to the other classes? I'm asking because they seem to deal much more damage at a much faster pace than any mage I've seen so far...

Note that I'm still at the beginner levels, so excuse me if I seem a little n00bish. Thanks!

#2 invazn

invazn

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 368 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 20 November 2010 - 06:32 PM

Don't worry, healers are definitely needed, if not now, then later for sure. I'm kinda surprised that your heals weren't needed, especially at the beginning of the game, when people don't have good equips/def to tank damage. So I suppose you are kinda lucky with your teams, which is a good thing. But back on topic, don't give up on it haha. Your heals will be very valuable in places like Van Cliff/Bone Dragon and other mission maps, since monsters will hit a lot harder. As for PVP, I'm sure everyone wants a healer on their team! <_<

The priest class in Dragon Saga is actually very different from your traditional full-support healer Priest in other RPG's. In this game, Priests are actually one of the best DPS classes and can deal high amount of damage (you might not see it now, but trust me). They are more of an offensive, debuffing, and healing class, which makes it quite fun to play with (and annoy people!).

Anyways, good luck!

#3 Trancua

Trancua

I am New.

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • LocationEl Salvador

Posted 20 November 2010 - 06:57 PM

Don't worry, healers are definitely needed, if not now, then later for sure. I'm kinda surprised that your heals weren't needed, especially at the beginning of the game, when people don't have good equips/def to tank damage. So I suppose you are kinda lucky with your teams, which is a good thing. But back on topic, don't give up on it haha. Your heals will be very valuable in places like Van Cliff/Bone Dragon and other mission maps, since monsters will hit a lot harder. As for PVP, I'm sure everyone wants a healer on their team! <_<

The priest class in Dragon Saga is actually very different from your traditional full-support healer Priest in other RPG's. In this game, Priests are actually one of the best DPS classes and can deal high amount of damage (you might not see it now, but trust me). They are more of an offensive, debuffing, and healing class, which makes it quite fun to play with (and annoy people!).

Anyways, good luck!

Ah, I see... Well, that's a relief! I'm glad to see that my fears are unfounded. Thank you!
Well, here's hoping that it picks up for me. So far I'm feeling a little useless, always in the bottom of the contribution list and not feeling like I'm doing much for the party.
Is that gonna be constant? Am I always gonna be weakest contributor as the healer? Because that's kinda bleak.

#4 invazn

invazn

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 368 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 20 November 2010 - 11:15 PM

Well, to be honest, does it matter whether you are on the top or bottom of the contribution list? I mean, if people are getting EXP/getting their quest done, and not being a burden to the group or simply leeching, then I don't think people will judge or is an issue.

Like I said, as you become higher level, you will seem more useful, with your high damage output (especially great for bosses) and healings/buffs. So, to answer your question, no, it is not going to be constant, and no, you will not always be the least contributor. Just enjoy and don't think too much. Priest is for sure a useful class <_<

#5 Trancua

Trancua

I am New.

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • LocationEl Salvador

Posted 21 November 2010 - 05:11 AM

Well, to be honest, does it matter whether you are on the top or bottom of the contribution list? I mean, if people are getting EXP/getting their quest done, and not being a burden to the group or simply leeching, then I don't think people will judge or is an issue.

Like I said, as you become higher level, you will seem more useful, with your high damage output (especially great for bosses) and healings/buffs. So, to answer your question, no, it is not going to be constant, and no, you will not always be the least contributor. Just enjoy and don't think too much. Priest is for sure a useful class <_<

Yeah, I suppose you're right... It was just a kick to the ego to see my name always at the bottom of the chart with some pretty low percentages. I thought the others in my party would have been laughing their butts off for sure. x.x
Sorry for sounding like a whiner, I just HAD to know, you know? Thanks again, dude. :3

#6 Rimmy

Rimmy

Too Legit To Quit

• Dragon Saga Moderator
  • 2354 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania
  • Playing:Dragon Saga

Posted 21 November 2010 - 09:01 AM

Yeah, I suppose you're right... It was just a kick to the ego to see my name always at the bottom of the chart with some pretty low percentages. I thought the others in my party would have been laughing their butts off for sure. x.x
Sorry for sounding like a whiner, I just HAD to know, you know? Thanks again, dude. :3

Don't pay any attention to the contribution thing, the calculations are so wonky and one-sided that it's really not a good indicator of skill or usefulness at all.

And like invazn said, monks/priests/invokers are extremely useful for killing bosses. Wait until you hit 20+ and get Diffusion Cannon (and later, 40+ and Double Shot). Between that and your healing capability, you'll be really popular w/ parties. <_<

#7 IxIAshuraIxI

IxIAshuraIxI

I am New.

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 10:45 AM

Im in the same boat as you lol. Healer that Atm not doing much damage and end up on the bottom ( Except for moments when I make some use of Detection/Rain of Fire lol). We need to stick together

#8 StormHaven

StormHaven

(ノ°▽°)ノ︵┻━┻

• VMod Retired
  • 5432 posts
  • Server:Dekard

Posted 21 November 2010 - 11:59 AM

I only complete BD runs cause i have a healer q-q

#9 Tundra

Tundra

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 278 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 01:43 PM

Healers are always useful. However, you may feel useless early on until you hit level 28(at the latest - which is when you get all the lovely supporting skills, a decent Rain Of Fire, and Barbarian/Witch's Curse (which are VERY helpful in PvE when laggy person is in trouble). Also, you should look for gear that increases your HP, since Instant Heal (the most useful of the healing skills) is based off your max HP. (At level 5, it heals everyone's HP based off 50% of your max HP, the higher, the better)

#10 DaiGen

DaiGen

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 04:06 AM

woo first post lol

if it'll make you feel any better, you can always just solo the first dungeons and get your contribution to 100% XD

that's what i've been doing, at any rate, and it's working out alright so far. at any rate, it'll be a good chance early on to practice dodging? :)

(lvl 14 healer-to-be @v@)

#11 lolmater

lolmater

I am New.

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 10:08 PM

ok so ive played dragonica/dragon saga for a while. (since it was in THQ ICE) but when it transferred i couldnt play so my memory is a little sketchy now. first of all healing mages are a critical part of the game. when i joined i was mage too but i wanted to be priest/monk but my friend recommmended BM for offence. i tried it but didnt like it that much. so i started another char and became priest/monk. as i got higher in level there were many more better healing skills. i personaly recommend you focus on instant heal and that skill um... the one that u set down this candy machine like thingy and it heals when ur in area. srry i talk too much lol.

#12 Rimmy

Rimmy

Too Legit To Quit

• Dragon Saga Moderator
  • 2354 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 05 February 2011 - 07:15 AM

ok so ive played dragonica/dragon saga for a while. (since it was in THQ ICE) but when it transferred i couldnt play so my memory is a little sketchy now. first of all healing mages are a critical part of the game. when i joined i was mage too but i wanted to be priest/monk but my friend recommmended BM for offence. i tried it but didnt like it that much. so i started another char and became priest/monk. as i got higher in level there were many more better healing skills. i personaly recommend you focus on instant heal and that skill um... the one that u set down this candy machine like thingy and it heals when ur in area. srry i talk too much lol.

Candy machine? I think you mean the nurse, haha. Wish it was a candy machine, though. YUM.

#13 Teochiu

Teochiu

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 07:19 AM

I wish they had the option of a male nurse. Breaking gender stereotypes FTW.

#14 SangAsura

SangAsura

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 07:35 AM

Candy machine? I think you mean the nurse, haha. Wish it was a candy machine, though. YUM.

I'm pretty sure he is talking about the sanctuary, Rimmy. <_<

#15 Rimmy

Rimmy

Too Legit To Quit

• Dragon Saga Moderator
  • 2354 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 05 February 2011 - 08:51 AM

I'm pretty sure he is talking about the sanctuary, Rimmy. <_<

Ohhhh, yeah. Probably. Haven't used that skill in ages, forgot all about it. Hmm, maybe it IS a candy machine.

#16 SangAsura

SangAsura

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 09:06 AM

Ohhhh, yeah. Probably. Haven't used that skill in ages, forgot all about it. Hmm, maybe it IS a candy machine.

Cause its useless at high level. It just regen 200HP per sec if I'm not mistaken? <_< Not really playing priest.

#17 to0n

to0n

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1075 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online

Posted 05 February 2011 - 12:00 PM

Ah, I see... Well, that's a relief! I'm glad to see that my fears are unfounded. Thank you!
Well, here's hoping that it picks up for me. So far I'm feeling a little useless, always in the bottom of the contribution list and not feeling like I'm doing much for the party.
Is that gonna be constant? Am I always gonna be weakest contributor as the healer? Because that's kinda bleak.

While monsters are focused attacking your team, attack the monsters from behind so you score more points. Same for bosses.

#18 DarkWyvern

DarkWyvern

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 368 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada
  • Server:Vvyern

Posted 05 February 2011 - 04:36 PM

Yeah. Like everyone said, Priests end up having one of the most outrageous DPS. If anything, even though you don't kill mobs as quick as the others, you're main priority is healing your allies in between your Rain of Fire and Spark Rocks. Your x-spam is going to decimate bosses, and they shall stand in awe on how fearsome you are.

So don't let something like the percentages get you down. <_< You make up what you lack in healing. (And possibly the boss-killer.)

#19 lolmater

lolmater

I am New.

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 08:48 PM

lol very funny. and i was talkin about sanctuary. :3 im not a priest yet but imma be one >-_- and arch sanctuary here i come! XD

#20 HaHexfire

HaHexfire

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 07:45 AM

Become a priest if you want an OP class.

#21 Chrysanthemum

Chrysanthemum

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 228 posts
  • LocationStar 61 in the AOB 1337 Nebula
  • Server:Vyvern

Posted 07 February 2011 - 07:54 AM

Heh, I was actually really concerned about this too after I'd created my Priest. Turns out we're some of the best DPS dealers AND we get to heal ourselves and our party effectively in PVE. I've yet to figure out what the benefits of party-wide heals are in PVP, it seems as though in BSQ you can only heal and buff yourself? Suppose that's fair though.

From what I hear Monks/Priests/Invokers are up next on the nerf list, so enjoy the DPS while it lasts. Think they're nerfing spark rock a bit and some other stuff (although the spark rock nerf isn't the end of the world as (again, from what I hear) it's only going to reduce the AOE in PVP). I could be wrong, I'm fairly new myself and could easily have been misinformed. -_-

Anyhow, aside from not being able to grab a 54 set item piece I reallyreallyreally want - I really enjoy being a Priesty. :3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users