Attack Pure or Attack %? - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Attack Pure or Attack %?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
29 replies to this topic

#1 hannabanana1

hannabanana1

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 07:20 AM

How work this? The % is of the end damage? or based in your base attack?

#2 Kadelia

Kadelia

Rainbow Sparkle, Go!

• Members
  • 14312 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos/Renewal

Posted 16 June 2015 - 08:40 AM

POPULAR

Scenario: You are level 100 and have 100 str and a weapon with 100 atk, whcih is a level 3 weapon and refined to +5. For simplicity you have 1 dex, 1 luk.

What is in the status screen? 125+125.
Why? 100 str = 100 status attack (the left number). Every 4 base levels also gives +1 status attack. The weapon attack is on the right. the weapon is +25 attack power from refinements.

What is my real damage?
Well, for starters, status attack is doubled when dealing damage. So that amount from str and from base levels,it is 125* 2, so 250 damage to start against that squishy little poring.

What about the weapon? Well, you have 125 damage to start with, but this gets tweaked in a number of ways. The base weapon attack (before refinement) is adjusted a couple of times. Str affects your weapon attack. 1% increase per 2 str, actually. So with 100 str, the weapon attack goes up 50%. Next we have "variance". Level affects the variance. Your weapon will get plus or minus 5% for every level of the weapon. So a level 4 weapon can do 20% less or 20% more than its base value.

At this point, the tweaks apply to our upgrade-added damage as well, and this is after the str mod and variance.

The size of your enemy will change the effectiveness of your weapon. Swords are good against 'medium' enemies for example, but daggers take a 25% penalty. Daggers are even worse against 'large' enemies, where they take a 50% penalty.

Element will affect your damage too. If you do 200% to the enemy with your weapons's element, this is where it'd happen. Applying to the weapon only, not status attack.

So we've learned our 100 atk weapon with 25 atk worth of refines is actually 150 attack due to str, but can be 127~172 with variance since its a level 3 weapon. You then tack on 25 more attack from the refines, so 152~197, then you ask about size penalty and element, which well leave out for today.

So your damage is 250 from status and 152~197 for that +5 weapon. So you might do 402~447 damage to a poring.

Now what about cards?

In the example above, you did 402~447 damage to a poring. What about cards and gears that affect atk?

+100 attack
Say you had a card or equip that gives 100 atk. When does this get added?
Answer: after upgrade damage is added, but it gets its own formula.

Equipment attack * elemental mod

So it doesn't just tack on 100 damage to our 402~447, but it comes close to doing that. In fact since in this example were not playing ith elemental mods, it will do just that. 502~547 damage.

+40% attack power
Lets say we have 2 race cards. When does this get added? ANSWER: Right after upgrade damage and equip atk.

okay, so we had 152~197 weapon attack before, right? Multiply that * 1.4. So 212~275 now.

Add in the damage from status attack and your whacking that poring for 462~525

Verdict : which is better? +atk or +% attack?
Bad news! The answer is "neither, it depends"!

When you have a low attack weapon like in this example, +atk tends to be better, since those +% effects have a smaller number to start multiplying.

But when you have a high attack weapon, like those beefy level 4 weapons with 180 attack or 332 attack, you get a lot more bang out of a +% effect.

Youll also notice with say, cat ear beret, if you're bare handed, you get no increase whatsoever. Why? Because your damage is all status attack, and cards/gear that increase by a % only apply to weapon attack half of the formula! Same with using a converter or endow on your bare hand. Interesting, huh?

Congratulations on surviving my lesson!

Edited by Jaye, 16 June 2015 - 08:43 AM.

#3 Necrohealiac

Necrohealiac

10,000 posts and not even a Tiki-Shirt.

• Members
  • 13389 posts
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 16 June 2015 - 09:41 AM

Jaye needs to start teaching classes on game mechanics. I wouldn't mind working towards a degree from RO University Online.

#4 8464131223201318730

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 576 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 09:49 AM

jaye explanation never dissapoint me.. 

#5 zefram

zefram

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1262 posts
  • Server:valkyre

Posted 16 June 2015 - 09:49 AM

Jaye needs to start teaching classes on game mechanics. I wouldn't mind working towards a degree from RO University Online.

Lol, i was trying to write something on that line, you beat me on that.

What about the buffs like odin's power and strike ? Are they factored in with the bonus from %atk from cards/ equipments ?

I'm trying to figure out how much better an amdarais card would be than a porcelio for Arrow Storm with high end gears.

Edited by zefram, 16 June 2015 - 09:53 AM.

#6 Necrohealiac

Necrohealiac

• Members
  • 13389 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 09:58 AM

that's for the 301 level course. this is 101

#7 Lazaruce

Lazaruce

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2171 posts
  • LocationLabyrinth Inside Forsaken Eternity (L.I.F.E)
  • Server:Thor

Posted 16 June 2015 - 10:29 AM

Where do I sign up for enrollment? :heh:

I only base it on this :

If I have low atk , flat + atk would do

If I have high atk , +atk% will do better

#8 Kadelia

Kadelia

Rainbow Sparkle, Go!

• Members
  • 14312 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA

Posted 16 June 2015 - 10:32 AM

Odins power works like +atk gears
What does the amdarais card do?

Edited by Jaye, 16 June 2015 - 10:33 AM.

#9 Necrohealiac

Necrohealiac

• Members
  • 13389 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 10:35 AM

ATK +15%, MATK +15%.

#10 Kadelia

Kadelia

Rainbow Sparkle, Go!

• Members
  • 14312 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA

Posted 16 June 2015 - 10:41 AM

That applies in the same place as hydra card or etc.

Good rule of thumb is if its 15%, look at your wep atk. Say you've got a 160 atk weapon. What is 15% of that? That is 24. So you already know a 160 atk weapon is always going to benefit more from the amardais card than the porcellio, because its always > 25 atk after refinement.

#11 tamagotchi3890

tamagotchi3890

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 260 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 16 June 2015 - 11:42 PM

[...]

Thanks for the info. I fully understand the complicated math.

Off topic:
@Jaye, are you familiar with LZKeiA2.gif? Why don't you use LZKeiA2.gif image on iRO Wiki?

Like this:
StatusATK = Floor( BaseLevel ÷ 4 + STR + DEX ÷ 5 + LUK ÷ 3 )
Source: iRO Wiki: ATK

LZKeiA2.gif:
PWZMOSN.gif
where:
PqxYHiK.gif is the status part of ATK;
ea6QwS6.gif is the base level of the player;
jyV9Rzc.gif is the STR of the player;
rqnnk7A.gif is the DEX of the player; and
XxguUbP.gif is the LUK of the player.

Let us define the ATK. Note: I am using the variation style of complex number (a+bi).
 DEFINITION 1 - ATK The ATK is a number of the form A + B, where A is the status part of ATK and B is the weapon part of ATK. The weapon part of ATK is the sum of the Weapon ATK and the Equip ATK. The status part of ATK is denoted by PqxYHiK.gif and the weapon part of ATK is denoted by b8volDG.gif. 
Spoiler

Edited by tamagotchi3890, 17 June 2015 - 06:36 AM.

#12 hotel

hotel

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1571 posts
  • Playing:Pogo's Lounge
  • Server:shock town

Posted 16 June 2015 - 11:49 PM

Scenario: You are level 100 and have 100 str and a weapon with 100 atk, whcih is a level 3 weapon and refined to +5. For simplicity you have 1 dex, 1 luk.

What is in the status screen? 125+125.
Why? 100 str = 100 status attack (the left number). Every 4 base levels also gives +1 status attack. The weapon attack is on the right. the weapon is +25 attack power from refinements.

What is my real damage?
Well, for starters, status attack is doubled when dealing damage. So that amount from str and from base levels,it is 125* 2, so 250 damage to start against that squishy little poring.

What about the weapon? Well, you have 125 damage to start with, but this gets tweaked in a number of ways. The base weapon attack (before refinement) is adjusted a couple of times. Str affects your weapon attack. 1% increase per 2 str, actually. So with 100 str, the weapon attack goes up 50%. Next we have "variance". Level affects the variance. Your weapon will get plus or minus 5% for every level of the weapon. So a level 4 weapon can do 20% less or 20% more than its base value.

At this point, the tweaks apply to our upgrade-added damage as well, and this is after the str mod and variance.

The size of your enemy will change the effectiveness of your weapon. Swords are good against 'medium' enemies for example, but daggers take a 25% penalty. Daggers are even worse against 'large' enemies, where they take a 50% penalty.

Element will affect your damage too. If you do 200% to the enemy with your weapons's element, this is where it'd happen. Applying to the weapon only, not status attack.

So we've learned our 100 atk weapon with 25 atk worth of refines is actually 150 attack due to str, but can be 127~172 with variance since its a level 3 weapon. You then tack on 25 more attack from the refines, so 152~197, then you ask about size penalty and element, which well leave out for today.

So your damage is 250 from status and 152~197 for that +5 weapon. So you might do 402~447 damage to a poring.

Now what about cards?

In the example above, you did 402~447 damage to a poring. What about cards and gears that affect atk?

+100 attack
Say you had a card or equip that gives 100 atk. When does this get added?
Answer: after upgrade damage is added, but it gets its own formula.

Equipment attack * elemental mod

So it doesn't just tack on 100 damage to our 402~447, but it comes close to doing that. In fact since in this example were not playing ith elemental mods, it will do just that. 502~547 damage.

+40% attack power
Lets say we have 2 race cards. When does this get added? ANSWER: Right after upgrade damage and equip atk.

okay, so we had 152~197 weapon attack before, right? Multiply that * 1.4. So 212~275 now.

Add in the damage from status attack and your whacking that poring for 462~525

Verdict : which is better? +atk or +% attack?
Bad news! The answer is "neither, it depends"!

When you have a low attack weapon like in this example, +atk tends to be better, since those +% effects have a smaller number to start multiplying.

But when you have a high attack weapon, like those beefy level 4 weapons with 180 attack or 332 attack, you get a lot more bang out of a +% effect.

Youll also notice with say, cat ear beret, if you're bare handed, you get no increase whatsoever. Why? Because your damage is all status attack, and cards/gear that increase by a % only apply to weapon attack half of the formula! Same with using a converter or endow on your bare hand. Interesting, huh?

Congratulations on surviving my lesson!

you should put that somewhere on the wiki, it's super helpful  :no1:

#13 blackCROSSCY

blackCROSSCY

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1864 posts
  • LocationSG
  • Server:Valkyrie

Posted 17 June 2015 - 04:00 AM

In short,

1. ATK = StatusATK × 2 + WeaponATK + EquipATK + MasteryATK

2. % cards affect both Weapon ATK and Equip ATK.

3. any +ATK are counted towards Equip ATK.

Your final decision comes to whether 

A)dmg% boost*(Weapon ATK + EquipATK)  gives you more damage OR

OR pure +ATK.

In most cases you will find attack % to give higher, but they work together. having more ATK also makes your % increase more.

#14 IronFist

IronFist

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1547 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand, Beach
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 17 June 2015 - 06:12 AM

So how does range atk work?
It seem to be increased by everything.

#15 KirinKishi808

KirinKishi808

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 984 posts
  • LocationThe Silver State Union
  • Server:Chaos / Sakray

Posted 17 June 2015 - 07:12 AM

So how does range atk work?
It seem to be increased by everything.

I don't understand what you mean by "everything" here.

But from my testing, AS card seem to increase both status ATK & weapon ATK by a flat 10% unlike the racial% card that only applies to weapon ATK.

But if you put an Andre card(+20 atk) into a bow, I think it will only be added on weapon ATK just like what Jaye explained. Correct me if I'm wrong here

p/s Jaye should wrote a book about RO Renewal Mechanic 101

Edited by KirinKishi808, 17 June 2015 - 07:14 AM.

#16 Kadelia

Kadelia

Rainbow Sparkle, Go!

• Members
  • 14312 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA

Posted 17 June 2015 - 07:20 AM

This info is on the wiki actually.

Also, yes, archer skeleton and the like (ranged +%) affect status attack, unlike other +% effects. Archer skeleton just wants to be a snowflake. :>

#17 ka10

ka10

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1810 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 08:05 AM

@tamagotchi3890; probably just because no one decided to do it that way in the wiki;

calculations/formulas for atk and such are too simple to warrant the use of that anyways;

just adding some more brackets is good enough to make operator precedence clearer;

#18 Kupo54

Kupo54

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 653 posts
  • LocationPayon
  • Server:Renewal

Posted 17 June 2015 - 09:12 AM

Lol, i was trying to write something on that line, you beat me on that.

What about the buffs like odin's power and strike ? Are they factored in with the bonus from %atk from cards/ equipments ?

I'm trying to figure out how much better an amdarais card would be than a porcelio for Arrow Storm with high end gears.

In most cases that i have seen rangers shouldn't use use Atk% since they naturally have weapon+equip atk

but i also would like to test Amdarais card on my autocast Ranger

Edited by Kupo54, 17 June 2015 - 09:12 AM.

#19 desukick

desukick

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 11:48 PM

Necro for some questions since I can't find it.

About elements. It works for weapon damage right? Then does the refinement of the weapon work with this as well or just the pure weapon?

Also the weapon damage we get from str/dex(range) gives .5% per stat. I saw in irowiki it is pseudo elemental. So the weapon damage from stats doesn't work with elements?

#20 azumak1

azumak1

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1347 posts
  • Server:Chaos!

Posted 03 October 2017 - 12:51 AM

gdi necro, I thought Kaddy was active again. now I'm sad.  :p_sad:

#21 Ashuckel

Ashuckel

'-' intensifies

• Members
  • 18996 posts
  • LocationJohto, Hoenn, Unova, Kalos, Alola

Posted 03 October 2017 - 02:11 AM

Necro for some questions since I can't find it.

About elements. It works for weapon damage right? Then does the refinement of the weapon work with this as well or just the pure weapon?

Also the weapon damage we get from str/dex(range) gives .5% per stat. I saw in irowiki it is pseudo elemental. So the weapon damage from stats doesn't work with elements?

The entirety of Weapon ATK and Equipment ATK and all its components are affected by element.

STR bonus is a portion of the total Weapon ATK, and follows the above. The ATK gained by str (or dex) in the stat window, known as Status ATK is forced Neutral unless you are under the effect of Mild Wind.

#22 Handersen

Handersen

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3272 posts
  • Server:chaos

Posted 03 October 2017 - 02:53 AM

Alright guys nobel prize for ya all

#23 desukick

desukick

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 04:19 AM

gdi necro, I thought Kaddy was active again. now I'm sad.  :p_sad:

Oh sorry for that.  :p_sad:

#24 desukick

desukick

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 04:23 AM

The entirety of Weapon ATK and Equipment ATK and all its components are affected by element.

STR bonus is a portion of the total Weapon ATK, and follows the above. The ATK gained by str (or dex) in the stat window, known as Status ATK is forced Neutral unless you are under the effect of Mild Wind.

kinda confused.. str gives 2 types of damage right? the status attack and the weapon attack(.5%)..

I know the status doesn't affect element but what about the .5% that will go to weapon damage?

#25 Ashuckel

Ashuckel

'-' intensifies

• Members
  • 18996 posts
  • LocationJohto, Hoenn, Unova, Kalos, Alola

Posted 03 October 2017 - 04:53 AM

its already answered in the post

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users