Cleanup Item Descriptions - Page 2 - Proposals and Suggestions - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Cleanup Item Descriptions

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#26 Nirvanna21

Nirvanna21

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 9553 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 25 September 2015 - 10:36 AM

Well, give only trustworthy-ish people access, not trolls, assign line number ranges to people.

Sounds pretty good, if someone sets this up with Campitor's tick I will help out.

It will require someone from WP to add new items to the end of the file, so they can just copy paste a file once it has been submitted.

I say submitted, but I mean regularly (i.e. not a completed submission), as I would imagine the load on both the client and mrdiablo would have one or two issues trying to deal with 10,000+ item changes at once haha.

Edited by Nirvanna21, 25 September 2015 - 10:39 AM.

#27 RichieDagger

RichieDagger

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 929 posts
  • LocationUnder your bed.

Posted 19 October 2015 - 05:43 AM

Oda's green light was too vague for me. https://forums.warpp...read/?p=2298125

Could we get some periodic status updates on where management is at on this project proposal?

Honestly, if someone gave me the okay and some clear direction back in June, I'd probably be half way done by now. Not trying to badger anyone, I'd just like to be put to work before I lose interest.

#28 Oda

Oda

Overseas

• Community Managers
  • 10261 posts
  • Twitter:@Oda_CM
  • LocationAmatsu

Posted 19 October 2015 - 09:35 AM

Oda's green light was too vague for me. https://forums.warpp...read/?p=2298125

Could we get some periodic status updates on where management is at on this project proposal?

Honestly, if someone gave me the okay and some clear direction back in June, I'd probably be half way done by now. Not trying to badger anyone, I'd just like to be put to work before I lose interest.

I apologize Richie, as of June there wasn't a lot of free time so a lot of great suggestions I just didn't have time to work on. 

I would prefer to work on these in batches, maybe 20 at a time to start out with. The item descriptions can easily cause the game to error if it doesn't like the formatting so this would be the safest way to make changes. I can get a google doc/skype group together for people interested in helping out with this project as well as providing the current formatting for the descriptions. It might help if you could let me know what current item description text you would like to see to help build the new ones. 

#29 Nirvanna21

Nirvanna21

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 9553 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 19 October 2015 - 09:57 AM

I apologize Richie, as of June there wasn't a lot of free time so a lot of great suggestions I just didn't have time to work on. 

I would prefer to work on these in batches, maybe 20 at a time to start out with. The item descriptions can easily cause the game to error if it doesn't like the formatting so this would be the safest way to make changes. I can get a google doc/skype group together for people interested in helping out with this project as well as providing the current formatting for the descriptions. It might help if you could let me know what current item description text you would like to see to help build the new ones. 

You would only want to do a maximum of 100 per week anyways, since if something goes wrong at least you can refer to a smaller list to see where the errors came from.

But you would need to make sure with group access that there is an official template that people can follow.

Maybe if Richie has time he can organise an official template to follow before making this group :)

#30 RichieDagger

RichieDagger

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 929 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 10:52 AM

I suppose it could work as long as it is limited to a few people, just remember that if you had dozens of people working on something with over 10,000 items that it could lead to mistakes that require a lot of time to fix.

In the interest of time, the work load definitly needs to be split up; however, too many hands involved will complicate things. Maybe four or five total? I'm not sure how participants would be vetted for reliablility or integrity.

Regarding the format, it would be helpful to have a list of what is curently known to cause errors.

I think we'd be fine working with the current tables, applying the template along the way. I suppose if someone came across something really wonky that will not conform to the template, it could be flagged and addressed later, updating the template accordingly.

You would only want to do a maximum of 100 per week anyways, since if something goes wrong at least you can refer to a smaller list to see where the errors came from.

But you would need to make sure with group access that there is an official template that people can follow.

Maybe if Richie has time he can organise an official template to follow before making this group :)

Definitly would want someone at WP double check the revisions before they are made live. Would a single person be able to handle proofing 100 descriptions each week in addition to their normal job duties? Don't really need a quota, but a hard cap is a good idea.

What I had in the OP should be fine, unless someone spotted some glaring inconsistancy or omition. The only things I can think of are the aformentioned formatting limitations and unusual items.

Edited by RichieDagger, 19 October 2015 - 10:53 AM.

#31 Oda

Oda

Overseas

• Community Managers
  • 10261 posts
  • Twitter:@Oda_CM
  • LocationAmatsu

Posted 19 October 2015 - 01:49 PM

Yes, what campitor will do is find+replace the previous descriptions with the updated ones we build here and run a test to see if it would cause errors. Unfortunately it's a binary fail yes/no but wouldn't give us specific information like what line caused the error. Non alpha numeric characters were often the cause of these after we checked line by line on previous errors of this type. 

#32 RichieDagger

RichieDagger

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 929 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 05:34 AM

Yes, what campitor will do is find+replace the previous descriptions with the updated ones we build here and run a test to see if it would cause errors. Unfortunately it's a binary fail yes/no but wouldn't give us specific information like what line caused the error. Non alpha numeric characters were often the cause of these after we checked line by line on previous errors of this type. 

The OP template doesn't use anything other than normal punctuation and mathematical operators in addition to alpha numeric characters, all of which are present in current descriptions.

#33 Campitor

Campitor

Darned Forever

• RO1 Production
  • 11063 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 08:54 AM

The OP template doesn't use anything other than normal punctuation and mathematical operators in addition to alpha numeric characters, all of which are present in current descriptions.

MS Word introduces characters that the game client hates depending on what language packs are installed on the PC

#34 Kadelia

Kadelia

Rainbow Sparkle, Go!

• Members
  • 14312 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA
  • Server:Chaos/Renewal

Posted 20 October 2015 - 08:56 AM

Use notepad

Use Notepad++

Edited by Jaye, 20 October 2015 - 08:58 AM.

#35 Nirvanna21

Nirvanna21

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 9553 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 20 October 2015 - 09:11 AM

MS Word introduces characters that the game client hates depending on what language packs are installed on the PC

That is why you always copy paste in notepad or notepad++ before using it, as it sometimes adds funny characters :)

#36 Campitor

Campitor

Darned Forever

• RO1 Production
  • 11063 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 12:13 PM

That is why you always copy paste in notepad or notepad++ before using it, as it sometimes adds funny characters :)

That is what I use but lets just say our paranoia about the text files stems from some well meaning staff members doing stuff in the past... 

#37 Kadelia

Kadelia

Rainbow Sparkle, Go!

• Members
  • 14312 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA
  • Server:Chaos/Renewal

Posted 20 October 2015 - 12:48 PM

Notepad++ is super great. I like its "search within files" feature.

#38 RichieDagger

RichieDagger

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 929 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 06:29 PM

That is what I use but lets just say our paranoia about the text files stems from some well meaning staff members doing stuff in the past... 

I've been using SciTE.

Regardless, if you'll be ramrodding this, should we sit back until you have everything set up and select participants?

#39 Nirvanna21

Nirvanna21

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 9553 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 20 October 2015 - 07:16 PM

Hoho, sounds like you had some regular Rambos working on your text files ;D

#40 Nirvanna21

Nirvanna21

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 9553 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 29 October 2015 - 05:13 PM

Until Richie gets time to post a link, here is a one to the template doc.

https://docs.google....dit?usp=sharing

Feel free to comment and submit possible ideas towards the template, someone will check them and approve/disapprove etc.

#41 RichieDagger

RichieDagger

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 929 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 03:22 AM

Until Richie gets time to post a link, here is a one to the template doc.

https://docs.google....dit?usp=sharing

Feel free to comment and submit possible ideas towards the template, someone will check them and approve/disapprove etc.

Updated the OP. Is that what you were getting at earlier? Yesterday was not a good day for critical thinking. I was originally wanting it archived somewhere as a public reference after the fact to keep WP staff on their toes when new items are implemented in the future. All of this seems to have generated minimal interest within the community thus far, so I wasn't expecting to get much feedback during the work in progress.

Edited by RichieDagger, 30 October 2015 - 03:24 AM.

#42 Nirvanna21

Nirvanna21

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 9553 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 30 October 2015 - 09:16 AM

That was my interpretation of what was said, if the community has no interest then don't worry about it :D

#43 Nirvanna21

Nirvanna21

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 9553 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 04 December 2015 - 07:03 PM

Thinking of using the term Seafood Race instead of Fish Race, any objections :)? :gg:

#44 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

My Offline Life is Nonexistent.

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts
  • Server:Sakray->Iris->Ymir->Chaos

Posted 04 December 2015 - 07:19 PM

Oh you.

#45 RichieDagger

RichieDagger

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 929 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 07:30 PM

Salad race instead of Plant race.

#46 Nirvanna21

Nirvanna21

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 9553 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 04 December 2015 - 07:38 PM

Oh you.

My apologies, it was a very shellfish proposal.

Edited by Nirvanna21, 04 December 2015 - 07:52 PM.

#47 Nirvanna21

Nirvanna21

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 9553 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 22 December 2015 - 05:16 PM

Just an update to the folks if they care,

Items 501-1000 (consumables, some misc items) are ready and waiting for testing.

Items 4001-5000 (cards and enchants) are nearly ready and will be up for testing shortly as well.

Items 1001-2000 (some misc items, mainly weapons) will be ready by next week and testing shortly after.

Consistency is coming.

#48 RichieDagger

RichieDagger

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 929 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 08:25 AM

I'd be curious to know how many people actually noticed the changes. Since descriptions have been unreliable for so long, I got into the habit of just checking the iROWiki DB instead of opening the in-game description. I'd say that a good majority of the community probably do the same.

#49 Nirvanna21

Nirvanna21

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 9553 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 24 December 2015 - 10:30 AM

I'd be curious to know how many people actually noticed the changes. Since descriptions have been unreliable for so long, I got into the habit of just checking the iROWiki DB instead of opening the in-game description. I'd say that a good majority of the community probably do the same.

I would argue people will notice it a lot more when at least half the items have been changed, for now next to none have been implemented.

#50 RichieDagger

RichieDagger

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 929 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 06:24 AM

The description for Round Buckler--I read it in my head with the voice of a narrator for luxury car advertisement.

It has heightened a defense power by adding ernium thick at the round part.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users