Cleanup Item Descriptions - Page 3 - Proposals and Suggestions - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Cleanup Item Descriptions

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#51 Oda

Oda

Overseas

• Community Managers
  • 10261 posts
  • Twitter:@Oda_CM
  • LocationAmatsu
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online

Posted 29 December 2015 - 10:28 AM

We're testing the first batch 501-1000 of description updates, will be putting these in a chunk at a time starting this week! 

#52 Kadelia

Kadelia

Rainbow Sparkle, Go!

• Members
  • 14312 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA
  • Server:Chaos/Renewal

Posted 29 December 2015 - 04:25 PM

super kudos to Richie and especially Nirvana12 for all of their hard work with the various data entry to make this happen ^^

#53 Nirvanna21

Nirvanna21

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 9553 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 29 December 2015 - 04:57 PM

super kudos to Richie and especially Nirvana12 for all of their hard work with the various data entry to make this happen ^^

Nirvana12? I knew that damn evil twin was doing something behind my back >:D

But thanks!

#54 Campitor

Campitor

Darned Forever

• RO1 Production
  • 11063 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 05:39 PM

PS. I gave Oda an excel file with all the armor item numbers and their DB set stats / min&max levels. Going to do the same for weapons soon.

#55 RichieDagger

RichieDagger

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 929 posts
  • LocationUnder your bed.

Posted 29 December 2015 - 05:55 PM

I just got the ball rolling, Nirvanna21 took up most of the burden.

#56 Nirvanna21

Nirvanna21

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 9553 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 29 December 2015 - 06:00 PM

PS. I gave Oda an excel file with all the armor item numbers and their DB set stats / min&max levels. Going to do the same for weapons soon.

:rice:

#57 osueboy

osueboy

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 02:18 PM

what is the current % of finishing this? out of the 8xxx items.

#58 Nirvanna21

Nirvanna21

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 9553 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 12 January 2016 - 03:42 PM

what is the current % of finishing this? out of the 11,000 and increasing items.

I would say it is stuck around 10% at the moment, as we need WP peoples to fill in the gaps before we can mark off stuff.

But once the requests have been done, that will mark...

• items 501-1000
  • items 1001-2000
  • items 2001-3000
  • items 4001-5000

#59 osueboy

osueboy

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 06:37 AM

i was thinking maybe, if you have all info in an excel file, you could maybe put it into sqlite or even just read it from excel with php or python, and use some kind of template engine like Django template or Jinja, to auto generate consistent descriptions. i could do this, with the proper info, i could create 4 or 5 template files, for, card, armor, general items etc.. and just run a loop that will take every info from the db/excel file and dump on a text file each description using those 4 or 5 diferent templates. this would be less error prone.

#60 RichieDagger

RichieDagger

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 929 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 06:50 AM

i was thinking maybe, if you have all info in an excel file, you could maybe put it into sqlite or even just read it from excel with php or python, and use some kind of template engine like Django template or Jinja, to auto generate consistent descriptions. i could do this, with the proper info, i could create 4 or 5 template files, for, card, armor, general items etc.. and just run a loop that will take every info from the db/excel file and dump on a text file each description using those 4 or 5 diferent templates. this would be less error prone.

This is the direction I was initially hoping the project would head to. However, WP seems to be either unable or unwilling to export the full contents of the item database to a file. Nirvanna21 is working up a template with a UI for adding and editing descriptions, though I'm not fully aware of the functional scope he is going for.

#61 osueboy

osueboy

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 07:11 AM

This is the direction I was initially hoping the project would head to. However, WP seems to be either unable or unwilling to export the full contents of the item database to a file. Nirvanna21 is working up a template with a UI for adding and editing descriptions, though I'm not fully aware of the functional scope he is going for.

Maybe they have items they don't want to share. I can't blame them for that. You should never risk your data. 

#62 RichieDagger

RichieDagger

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 929 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 07:16 AM

Maybe they have items they don't want to share. I can't blame them for that. You should never risk your data. 

I assumed if it went there, the description generating tool would be used in-house, so there would be no need for the database information to be handled by outsiders. I'm under the impression that this is more of an access or technical limitation on their part, since they are having to run lots of queries to provide us with unknown variables in the existing descriptions.

#63 Nirvanna21

Nirvanna21

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 9553 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 13 January 2016 - 10:31 AM

I assumed if it went there, the description generating tool would be used in-house, so there would be no need for the database information to be handled by outsiders. I'm under the impression that this is more of an access or technical limitation on their part, since they are having to run lots of queries to provide us with unknown variables in the existing descriptions.

Don't forget the manual testing to confirm unclear values ^

#64 fIower

fIower

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 11:41 PM

Happy to volunteer if you need a hand--I work in editorial.

#65 Nirvanna21

Nirvanna21

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 9553 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 14 January 2016 - 11:55 PM

Happy to volunteer if you need a hand--I work in editorial.

Can always have a chat to Richie about it, honestly though the time taken for edits isn't the lengthy process, it's the request section that takes the real time; that and the eventually testing in game of the descriptions via the staff.

But yeah, feel free to PM Richie, since it is just me n him doing the grunt work.

#66 RichieDagger

RichieDagger

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 929 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 06:44 AM

Project is moving forward. Picking up from item 5001 as of today, for my part. Older revisions are undergoing proof-reading, and WP has allocated resources for future implementation.

I will be cracking into descriptions again soon, is there a plan in place of how to introduce the fixed descriptions at all?

Yes! I have an assistant now. We will be assigning him to head that project and introduce the descriptions.

#67 Nirvanna21

Nirvanna21

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 9553 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 11 May 2016 - 08:24 PM

This ^

Things will be slowly implemented.

And I will get off my ass and do more now that life is a little more flexible!

#68 Nirvanna21

Nirvanna21

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 9553 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 26 May 2016 - 01:26 PM

Items 501-600 implemented this patch :D

#69 Aizenath

Aizenath

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1021 posts
  • LocationCloser to hell than heaven...
  • Playing:Nothing
  • Server:notRO

Posted 03 September 2016 - 02:11 AM

Hi, I'd love to help with this project.

I'm that person everyone knows that's always correcting other people spelling when they misspell something and I won't apologize for it!!!

Please let me know if I can help in any way.

#70 Nirvanna21

Nirvanna21

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 9553 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 03 September 2016 - 02:13 AM

Hi, I'd love to help with this project.

I'm that person everyone knows that's always correcting other people spelling when they misspell something and I won't apologize for it!!!

Please let me know if I can help in any way.

Done. I will let the others know. I will give you some links tonight and the big one once it has been discussed with the others.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users