Developer's Corner - July 2015 - Patch Notes Archive - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo

Developer's Corner - July 2015

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 Leonis

Leonis

Too Legit To Quit

• Retired
  • 4096 posts
  • Playing:Metal Assault
  • Server:US Server 1

Posted 10 July 2015 - 03:01 PM

Hello Roserians,

I know there's been quite a bit of chatter, discussion and explosive voices lately on many a subject.

I'm going to go over a few things about what we're doing, what we're working on, and help acknowledge a few concerns from the community, so you know we do hear you!

Topic keywords: lag, latency, game arena, game performance
First, let's talk about what we've been focusing on. This does go in part with what the community has been asking for attention on, but we also see that it has reached a point where it is greatly hurting the playing experience for many of you.

Latency, or "lag" as many refer to it, has been experienced throughout game play, as we have been introducing more and more game features and mechanics. We have spent a great amount of attention looking into the reasons why this may be experienced. Some of it is due to the client being inefficient with handling a lot of the new mechanics we've been adding, some of it is older issues that just need updating. Without going into details, some of it is also contributed to the server side as well, same reasons, new mechanics, some old code needing updating.

Nevertheless, know we are looking in to it and will be rolling out with any updates, enhancements, bug fixes, and optimizations we can in the upcoming days.

We originally had planned to be working on expanding game content this month, however we saw that the severity of impact this had to game play would ultimately hurt any additional content we would come out with, so we changed our focus and will pick it back up once we see game play is less frustrating because of performance issues.

I understand that for some of you, this may be cause for an upset, because we changed direction on working towards new content, but as mentioned, we felt it wouldn't have been as enjoyable, if everyone was unhappy with how the game play was performing and your interactions were with it. I'm sure many will think it is all PvP related, but it isn't, many complaints have been also through our dungeon designs as well. So it is a global issue for both PvP and PvM play styles. One we are taking seriously and committed to improving on, so we can focus more on content related issues, then performance issues making game play appear to be poor.

Topic keywords: content, level cap increase, new gear
As mentioned above, we had set up this month to go over a level increase, content additions, which would have included new, higher tier gear and weapons. We had plans to update and expand a bit throughout Orlo, with new maps, monsters and quests, and even help make Orlo easier to navigate, as we have heard many complaints over its confusing nature.

We have had the next tier of armors created. Other items have been put to concept to add to the fun of hunting for rare and powerful items in-game. We've even begun review over the changes that were mentioned long ago regarding general crafting abilities. We've had one of our community members contribute some weapons for us to use as well, we're likely going to be using as some of the rare weapons to obtain.

Unfortunately, because of the bugs and follow-up needs we've had to give attention to, with recent updates, timelines change, and as mentioned above, the focus of concern has also changed as well. And while we still are excited to unveil more about it, we don't want to give too much away about what we have in the works. But it will add more to the dynamics of game play to consider, and add more excitement to considerations of venturing out in to the worlds of ROSE Online.

Topic keywords: Training Grounds (TG), boosters, PvP, competitive game play
We're aware there are many opinions behind this, and what we're going to work towards is this. We will be retrofitting an existing zone, called the Junon Cartel, to behave just like a Game Arena's PvP Zone, where upon entry, you will be cleared of any and all buffs, (you will be warned before entering!) and behave just like any Game Arena PvP Zone. While this may sound simple enough to put in, there is a tiny bit of supporting code that we'll need to do before we can offer this new zone.

Topic keywords: starting players, leveling, needing buffs
While we know leveling can sometimes feel daunting and grindy, we've put in a lot of effort to ensure that starting game play is not that difficult and can ease you in to game play.

However, it has become the opinion of some in the community that you cannot properly level without buffs from a high level Cleric. This is simply not the case. While you may be used to a certain speed or expectation because of your experiences in ROSE, starting players do not need this kind of support. Again, we can appreciate the feeling of being super powered and thrashing monsters with breezing ease. It doesn't mean it is needed. From our investigations into these claims, they tend to come from experienced players, or players who are so new, they only know the feeling of game play while under the support of a Cleric. Obviously if that is your introduction to game play, you are going to feel the withdrawal of power once you no longer have a Cleric with you.

Does this mean we as developers need to supplement this power gap, to make things super easy and simple? No. However, we still hear the cries of those who would prefer this experience, getting in to the game. Originally, these are what the boosters were intended to be, supplements for a lacking support character.

#2 WorldDestroyerxx

WorldDestroyerxx

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 02:38 PM

Not to be cleared of any buffs. Allow cleric buffs or stat buffs. Just remove Im pots, eggs and boosters. Allow ghoulash and red potions

#3 KatsuraKujo

KatsuraKujo

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 744 posts
  • LocationPotato
  • Playing:ROSE Online

Posted 13 July 2015 - 02:47 PM

Hello Roserians,

1. Topic keywords: lag, latency, game arena, game performance

Good to know that you're working on the latency of gameplay.

2. Topic keywords: content, level cap increase, new gear

I think a lot of us can wait for this one. So no worries there

3. Topic keywords: Training Grounds (TG), boosters, PvP, competitive game play

Are you making 2 options for entering TG? like what banrukai suggested? Where one is the system that you're going to put in and the other being Free4All?

4. Topic keywords: starting players, leveling, needing buffs
It is still difficult to level a character without buffs/boosters. It needs to take consider which class you are using, which skills you have, what stat have you put in, so on so forth just in order to at the very least level without dying a lot.

Yes, it doesn't necessary require a high level cleric to buff, yes boosters exist, but boosters are limited, and when i was a lowbie, i even spent my boosters from that free box sparingly just so at one point i could use it if i really needed it.

1. +1

2. Take your time =3

4. Not a lot can be concluded yet until the experiment that the 2 newbie forums players and angel are doing is finished, and by that i mean at the very least for them to reach max level (if that was their plan of course)

One thing is clear though, it is hard, but not impossible.

Edited by KatsuraKujo, 13 July 2015 - 03:05 PM.

#4 pdfisher

pdfisher

Champion Representative

• Members
  • 5246 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania, in the heart of PA dutch country
  • Server:Leonis

Posted 13 July 2015 - 02:56 PM

Thanks for the update Leo! I hope this reassures the community that you keep abreast of what is going on.

#5 Banrukai

Banrukai

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1251 posts
  • Location中国China
  • Server:.¤·°­·.¸ Arua ¸.·°­·¤.

Posted 13 July 2015 - 03:03 PM

@KatsuraKujo, You did spell my name wrong, but only one letter haha. :D

I hope my TG proposal was part of the deciding factor in this new TG arena.

#6 KatsuraKujo

KatsuraKujo

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 744 posts
  • LocationPotato

Posted 13 July 2015 - 03:06 PM

@KatsuraKujo, You did spell my name wrong, but only one letter haha. :D

I hope my TG proposal was part of the deciding factor in this new TG arena.

Lol so close xD

Edited to correct it =p

#7 Feuer

Feuer

They pay me to post

• Members
  • 10958 posts
  • Twitter:@LovatianOwl
  • LocationCaves of Owlverick
  • Server:Le' Forumz

Posted 13 July 2015 - 03:07 PM

Level cap probly gonna go up to 240 next month some time.

No announcement has been given regarding when the level cap will be extended. While I have stated we plan to do so in the future, schedule wise it has not yet been set.

Topic keywords: content, level cap increase, new gear
As mentioned above, we had set up this month to go over a level increase,

Can I get an explanation to this? Or should I just assume it was to hush the concept that every time we get a 'major IM point sale + bonus' we get a level cap or armor tier increase, like I called it....

#8 VisitorX

VisitorX

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 296 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 04:23 PM

Not to be cleared of any buffs. Allow cleric buffs or stat buffs. Just remove Im pots, eggs and boosters. Allow ghoulash and red potions

+1 for this^^^^^^

and Great thread overall. Thank You

#9 Leonis

Leonis

Too Legit To Quit

• Retired
  • 4096 posts
  • Playing:Metal Assault
  • Server:US Server 1

Posted 13 July 2015 - 05:10 PM

Everyone, please keep in mind while I can appreciate your comments and feedback, it has become habit for me to check the claims of some players of late. And I have to say I'm a bit disappointed to find that many do NOT do claimed. If you're going to make statements that you've started a new character, played for x amount of days, and express your experience, don't lie. Your feedback doesn't help if you're not actually giving feedback and just sharing your opinion, from possibly, a far past with a bitter taste. Give it an actual try, and don't take advantage over your items or accounts, play fresh, read the dialogs, follow their directions, and try to play without letting your advanced knowledge get in the way of enjoying the experience of adventuring.

What Junon Cartel, as been stated, will be setup to match the same restrictions as the Game Arena PvP modes, there will be no differences or special exceptions.
The choice to use the Junon Cartel, and fashion as it was stated, was due to much feedback found through the forums.

But it is not difficult to level a new character, we've had a couple recent documented and frequently updated experiences about what it's like to play from a starting player, without external help, and they are doing fine.

They may not be the blazing speeds some come to be accustomed to, but this is the reason why there are those who believe leveling is slow.
Being spoiled by buffs, and non-standard gear, makes that their standard, and takes away from knowing that those are bonuses, enhancements and goals to work towards.
And while some areas may be hard, we've been in touch with those who have been going through the starting areas on their opinion of where things got difficult and looking to understand why it did for them, each class is different, each player is different and understanding those differences can shape a new future for players. Some like a challenge, some want to rush up, but we also need to make sure they can appreciate learning how to play, gaining expertise with their character, skills, and all the time, enjoying the process.

Feuer,
I don't know what you think you "called" but I explained the situation as clearly as I could. There was no hush to anything, I put it all out there about what was going on, what we're doing and how things are. So what more of an explanation are you looking for?
And what don't you understand about the basic concept of sales tactics, to offer point sales during events that have an interest to the community? We do sales to encourage player activity, along with content updates, because they go hand in hand. We're not forcing anyone to take part in it, it is still and has always been a choice. Incentives are intended to be tempting, because once again, it's still a business.
So perhaps you can give me an explanation to what your point is and what your post intended?

#10 Feuer

Feuer

They pay me to post

• Members
  • 10958 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 05:21 PM

Just do me a favor and answer this question truthfully.

Is it not a sales tactic that is employed by ROSE, to offer large sales + discounts aimed at consumable and exhaustible items like Venurunes and Plutorunes, PRIOR to expanding the end game content in order to encourage a large two month sales peak? Because this is not the first time that we have had a coincidental stocking of boxes / discounted consumable refines in the Item Mall only one month prior to a new tier in EQ's being released. 

#11 DoubleRose

DoubleRose

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1217 posts
  • Server:Arua

Posted 13 July 2015 - 05:28 PM

excellent priorities and effort

#12 kikhy90

kikhy90

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 12 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 13 July 2015 - 05:36 PM

+1 ^

If it wasn't for the fact that cleric charm/buffing gear is basically trash when it comes to war/pvp then I would be OK with buffs getting cleared as we enter, but since that's not the case then I do totally agree that cleric and stat buffs NOT be removed upon entering this new pvp zone. 

If all buffs are removed upon entering, then you can expect people to camp the spawns for players in charm/buffing gear. Since we can't change gear in battle, it would just be a big mess of buffing players getting spam 2-3 shot as they're trying to buff their pvp geared clan members... as a cleric I can tell you I would not find that fun at all. I would have to set my cleric auto buffing as I just sit there clicking revive to prevent my head from exploding.

Edited by kikhy90, 13 July 2015 - 05:37 PM.

#13 Feuer

Feuer

They pay me to post

• Members
  • 10958 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 05:45 PM

You're missing the point that TG can remain was it is, and a new option is now open for those who WANT to use it. Sheesh. 

#14 pandasoup23

pandasoup23

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 422 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Server:Draco

Posted 13 July 2015 - 05:53 PM

What Junon Cartel, as been stated, will be setup to match the same restrictions as the Game Arena PvP modes, there will be no differences or special exceptions.
The choice to use the Junon Cartel, and fashion as it was stated, was due to much feedback found through the forums.

...fail lol 

#15 HoneyBunz

HoneyBunz

ROSE Online Community Member for July

• Members
  • 1428 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 13 July 2015 - 06:20 PM

...fail lol 

This really makes me chuckle. For weeks there have been topics and posts about boosters and how unfair they are or w/e. I never pvp but I've played Rose for many years and TG was always a "do anything" zone where you entered at your own risk. So rather than change that, they are adding another pvp zone where the pvp ppl will get exactly what they have been asking for and that is- a place where no one can use boosters so everyone will be on equal footing.

I think it's a darn good response to something that has apparently been a big problem for some folks while allowing the others who were not upset by boosters to also have a place where they can pvp as they want.

Can't see anything "fail" about that at all.

#16 VisitorX

VisitorX

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 296 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 06:37 PM

This really makes me chuckle. For weeks there have been topics and posts about boosters and how unfair they are or w/e. I never pvp but I've played Rose for many years and TG was always a "do anything" zone where you entered at your own risk. So rather than change that, they are adding another pvp zone where the pvp ppl will get exactly what they have been asking for and that is- a place where no one can use boosters so everyone will be on equal footing.

I think it's a darn good response to something that has apparently been a big problem for some folks while allowing the others who were not upset by boosters to also have a place where they can pvp as they want.

Can't see anything "fail" about that at all.

I agree. This allows those people with stockpiles of boosters to have fun dominating with their broken raider/scout pvp meta. While the other players will enjoy pvp'ing in the old fashion meta that rose intended to have.

#17 pandasoup23

pandasoup23

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 422 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Server:Draco

Posted 13 July 2015 - 07:54 PM

well ye i agree with that, i was rrather saying fail to the fact it will be exactly like GA (no goulash, etc)

#18 angeltje

angeltje

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2687 posts
  • Twitter:https://twitter.com/angelltjee

Posted 13 July 2015 - 09:28 PM

Ah i found it.
Wait wut no buffs in tg anymore also :(.
Lvling as priority and new content yay :).

#19 angeltje

angeltje

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2687 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 09:39 PM

1. +1
2. Take your time =3
4. Not a lot can be concluded yet until the experiment that the 2 newbie forums players and angel are doing is finished, and by that i mean at the very least for them to reach max level (if that was their plan of course)
One thing is clear though, it is hard, but not impossible.

My plan was to lvl and see where the questing ends and then try to find an alternative way. So will be a long journey xD. I can tell you this, you wont see me for lvling at ot.
It gets harder yes but until lvl 35 it was kinda easy for me. Lvling by quests only.. Anima lake tho, you will see my struggle there online soon enough :P.

Edited by angeltje, 13 July 2015 - 09:41 PM.

#20 turnermanxi

turnermanxi

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 10:46 PM

About the new player gameplay, leonis, we have to be honest with ourselves.  There is a reason for everything and there is a reason why there are not enough new players sticking around and playing.  There are enough new players that log in everyday but the percentage of them sticking around is very low and there is a reason for that.  We, as a community, has stated atleast 5 times on why no one is staying.  Whether you are willing to accept what that reason is or not, it is there.  I am making this post because I still feel you are not understanding the importance of how serious it is for your company to keep new players coming in and actually staying and how much better this game could be when the ratio of new players coming and staying goes from 1:100 to atleast 1:10.  We have to start being honest and start stating the real facts and the real reasons why this game isn't "reviving" or atleast just improving.  It's time Leonis.

#21 angeltje

angeltje

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2687 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 10:51 PM

About the new player gameplay, leonis, we have to be honest with ourselves. There is a reason for everything and there is a reason why there are not enough new players sticking around and playing. There are enough new players that log in everyday but the percentage of them sticking around is very low and there is a reason for that. We, as a community, has stated atleast 5 times on why no one is staying. Whether you are willing to accept what that reason is or not, it is there. I am making this post because I still feel you are not understanding the importance of how serious it is for your company to keep new players coming in and actually staying and how much better this game could be when the ratio of new players coming and staying goes from 1:100 to atleast 1:10. We have to start being honest and start stating the real facts and the real reasons why this game isn't "reviving" or atleast just improving. It's time Leonis.

Have you tried to lvl a new char without items or buffs from other accounts? If not, then you dont know the reasons. Only what you think and feel about it.

#22 Banrukai

Banrukai

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1251 posts
  • Location中国China

Posted 14 July 2015 - 12:45 AM

I just downloaded the game on my friends computer. I'm surprised it works in China, and not much lag that I could notice.

I was killing woopies with my Level 22 soldier pretty steadily. The way I have him built helps a bit; he uses CHA for Attack Power Down and Defense Down debuffs.

Edited by Banrukai, 14 July 2015 - 12:46 AM.

#23 KatsuraKujo

KatsuraKujo

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 744 posts
  • LocationPotato

Posted 14 July 2015 - 12:46 AM

About the new player gameplay, leonis, we have to be honest with ourselves.  There is a reason for everything and there is a reason why there are not enough new players sticking around and playing.  There are enough new players that log in everyday but the percentage of them sticking around is very low and there is a reason for that.  We, as a community, has stated atleast 5 times on why no one is staying.  Whether you are willing to accept what that reason is or not, it is there.  I am making this post because I still feel you are not understanding the importance of how serious it is for your company to keep new players coming in and actually staying and how much better this game could be when the ratio of new players coming and staying goes from 1:100 to atleast 1:10.  We have to start being honest and start stating the real facts and the real reasons why this game isn't "reviving" or atleast just improving.  It's time Leonis.

Have you tried to lvl a new char without items or buffs from other accounts? If not, then you dont know the reasons. Only what you think and feel about it.

Both points makes sense. This is starting to tempt me to make a new char in an effort to test it all based on my opinion.

Either way nothing can be concluded yet of how the leveling system is because almost no one has ever made it to max level via questing. Although the data from another members last time stated the problems with how it is already, we still can't just look at it based on 1 player's perspective. If you don't mind pitching in the experiment to level a lowbie to test whether its fun and doable it would help in the conclusion of what should be changed, how it should be changed and if anything is required to be added to the game.

This is not meant to be an offensive post, so don't take it that way. I find your point valid as well as angel's.

#24 Banrukai

Banrukai

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1251 posts
  • Location中国China

Posted 14 July 2015 - 12:48 AM

Both points makes sense. This is starting to tempt me to make a new char in an effort to test it all based on my opinion.

Either way nothing can be concluded yet of how the leveling system is because almost no one has ever made it to max level via questing. Although the data from another members last time stated the problems with how it is already, we still can't just look at it based on 1 player's perspective. If you don't mind pitching in the experiment to level a lowbie to test whether its fun and doable it would help in the conclusion of what should be changed, how it should be changed and if anything is required to be added to the game.

This is not meant to be an offensive post, so don't take it that way. I find your point valid as well as angel's.

If I had the amount of playtime I used to have, then I would definitely take up this experiment.

#25 angeltje

angeltje

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2687 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 01:22 AM

i know and i wasn't being offensive either but well i just tried to say people need to try it out instead of basing things without experiencing it.

i am experiencing it and till you enter el verloon desert i only encountered little problems. Then i entered problems, about which i am giving feedback to leonis and he listens to what i gotta say. Also i wanna say whoever is gonna enter this experiment can join the clan that i will make for my experimental char (so i can also explain about clans).

If I had the amount of playtime I used to have, then I would definitely take up this experiment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users