The IP restriction in Akram Arena etc - Proposals & Suggestions - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

The IP restriction in Akram Arena etc

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Gnasty

Gnasty

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 132 posts
  • LocationStockholm, Sweden
  • Playing:ROSE Online

Posted 15 July 2015 - 04:32 AM

As we all know, there is a restriction on how many clients that can join a PvP GA on the same IP. It is set to only one client and is there to prevent players for leeching with inactive characters. Nothing wrong with that. However, the lack of Clerics really destroys the joy of playing, for instance, the Akram Arena. The reason for Clerics being rare in there is due to a very obvious reason. Who would want to run around healing/buffing people during the whole game? Not many, I'd say. Heck, let the game speak for itself.

My suggestion is, let at least two clients per IP join a game. Not only would this fix the Cleric issue, but at least two people that live under the same roof can enjoy the game together. There are a handful of offensive players that also have Clerics for supportive buffs and heals. But they cannot let them join in because of this (ridiculously strict) IP restriction.

Please consider this. Thanks for reading.

#2 Banrukai

Banrukai

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1251 posts
  • Location中国China
  • Server:.¤·°­·.¸ Arua ¸.·°­·¤.

Posted 15 July 2015 - 05:31 AM

I agree with your point of letting two people of the same household play together, but I disagree with letting a person play two characters of their own in the arena. This would be defeating the purpose of having the restriction in place as it is.

If they allow two clients per IP, then I would imagine people will still leech, because they can.

As for running around the whole game as a cleric and buffing people; that is kind of the point of the restriction, so players will actually actively play.

#3 Gnasty

Gnasty

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 05:47 AM

I agree with your point of letting two people of the same household play together, but I disagree with letting a person play two characters of their own in the arena. This would be defeating the purpose of having the restriction in place as it is.

Be that as it may, but I think having two people of the same household outweighs the opportunity for someone to use two characters of their own. After all, leeching with some character at spawn won't get you any points anyway.

If they allow two clients per IP, then I would imagine people will still leech, because they can.

Like I said above, if you leech with a character at spawn, chances are you won't get any points at all since you never contributed to the game. Even if you do get points for leeching at spawn, it is such a small amount not worth leeching for.

As for running around the whole game as a cleric and buffing people; that is kind of the point of the restriction, so players will actually actively play.

Sure. However, clearly this is not working judging by the small amount of players there are applying for each game. There are barely 30 people joining and 15 players per team is way too small. People rather play offensive characters as that would reward them a lot more points.

Edited by Gnasty, 15 July 2015 - 05:49 AM.

#4 Feuer

Feuer

They pay me to post

• Members
  • 10958 posts
  • Twitter:@LovatianOwl
  • LocationCaves of Owlverick
  • Server:Le' Forumz

Posted 15 July 2015 - 05:48 AM

Isn't the IP limit 2 if one of the accounts is premium? 

#5 Gnasty

Gnasty

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 05:49 AM

No. My brother and I both have premium accounts. We cannot join the same game.

That's a good idea though.

Edited by Gnasty, 15 July 2015 - 05:52 AM.

#6 Feuer

Feuer

They pay me to post

• Members
  • 10958 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 05:51 AM

Ah, so that was only for DG's then. Wasn't sure, I don't have to share my IP, even if I did, I would just use an IP switcher/proxy server to play with a friend. 

#7 thetrangdamvn

thetrangdamvn

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1671 posts
  • LocationHanoi, Vietnam - GMT +7
  • Server:Draconis

Posted 15 July 2015 - 05:58 AM

That's their plan, yet not carried out.

#8 Gnasty

Gnasty

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 06:16 AM

That's their plan, yet not carried out.

Now that's really good to hear!

Edited by Gnasty, 15 July 2015 - 06:16 AM.

#9 Feuer

Feuer

They pay me to post

• Members
  • 10958 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 06:24 AM

Thought I remembered them saying that was the plan, didn't think it would take this long to work though, they already did it with DG's just fine a few weeks ago. 

#10 CharasX

CharasX

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 08:16 AM

The main problem I believe is that if it was working this way for PvP arenas, many players would abuse it and leech... bringing a whole new issue that would have to be dealt with. In PvM dungeons you do not have this problem because there is a vote kick system... so if really members of a same party would be annoyed with it, they could vote kick the leecher. But when it comes to PvP arenas, you cannot make it have a vote kick system, as it would again be one more thing that some might abuse in order to piss their ennemies off... or in order to kick the weaker players hoping to have stronger ones to have more chances of winning.

I can understand very much the issue tho, and more than not allowing 2 players on the same IP address, I think it would be better to make it so only 1 client per PC could join the same game at once, this way several poeple of the same household could join the same game together as long as they are using different PCs (wich should be the case, I can't imagine 2 different persons playing on the same PC at once).

#11 KatsuraKujo

KatsuraKujo

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 744 posts
  • LocationPotato

Posted 15 July 2015 - 08:46 AM

I can understand very much the issue tho, and more than not allowing 2 players on the same IP address, I think it would be better to make it so only 1 client per PC could join the same game at once, this way several poeple of the same household could join the same game together as long as they are using different PCs (wich should be the case, I can't imagine 2 different persons playing on the same PC at once).

I don't think that is doable since the restriction is based on the ip address. If the system cannot catch that you're using a different ip address from that of another computer connected to the same wifi then we have a problem

#12 Feuer

Feuer

They pay me to post

• Members
  • 10958 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 08:57 AM

it's called a MAC address [yes it also can be subverted] but think of it as your 'computer name/id' not network id. 

#13 Banrukai

Banrukai

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1251 posts
  • Location中国China
  • Server:.¤·°­·.¸ Arua ¸.·°­·¤.

Posted 15 July 2015 - 04:53 PM

Indeed, they could use MAC address to identify each computer.

If they allow two computers per household, I still think people would abuse it one way or another, just because they can.
I do like the idea of requiring premium service to use 2 IP's. This would prevent people from want to leech so much. But people with money in game, they could easily get the premium service.. so.

#14 thetrangdamvn

thetrangdamvn

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1671 posts
  • LocationHanoi, Vietnam - GMT +7
  • Server:Draconis

Posted 16 July 2015 - 01:23 AM

Thought I remembered them saying that was the plan, didn't think it would take this long to work though, they already did it with DG's just fine a few weeks ago. 

The IP restrictions were originally put in place to prevent multi-client/afk players.

Since then, we've had a number of requests to lift it, so friends and family could play from the same household. We understand and recognize that desire, and have been considering options since.

For PvP it is important that ever player participate, otherwise it can greatly change the strength of a team and we want it to be fun and competitive.

For dungeons, we also wanted it to be similar, but because it is not competitive, we've allowed up to 2 connections from the same IP.

A solution we have settled on, but have not yet begun any development towards, is to make it so Premium Status are not counted towards IP restrictions. Yes, paying would allow you to connect multiple clients from the same IP. Please do not mistake this for being a point of greed or business, while it would be business beneficial, it is because we feel that a paying user would be less likely to abuse it in a manner that causes the intention of participation and affect the competition of PvP, or hinder the success of a dungeon run. We feel that a subscribed user to our Premium Service, would take advantage of it with a friend so they could play together. Undoubtedly there will be those who will use it to take advantage of the ability to have multiple connections, but in the end they are paying to suffer from the community's ability to recognize when someone fails to participate and costs them the match.

A short term solution we're going to do, until we're able to full implement this idea, is we will be allowing up to 3 connections per IP, within the dungeons only, to assist with a few families that have approached me on the subject, so they can enjoy playing together.

We won't be changing PvP because we still feel there's a high need for participation, and for those who currently use a proxy to bypass the limitation, as long as you aren't being reported for being afk for doing so, we are willing to give some wiggle room for now so that you can play with your friends or family on the same line. But once the premium feature is implemented, we'll ask that you not do so. It's not for us, more than it is for you and for some methods of account authorization for support related matters.

#15 Feuer

Feuer

They pay me to post

• Members
  • 10958 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 01:40 AM

Yeah, it makes sense for abuse, but using IP is restricting an entire home network which is where the problem actually comes from. Having multiple computers is the 'closest' honest way to tell how many people are playing, vs how many clients are running from 1 CPU. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users