DarkZekrom

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • LocationTexas, USA
  • Playing:Dragon Saga
  • Server:Vyvern

Posted 22 July 2015 - 06:20 PM

Following the passing of the same-sex laws by the U.S. Supreme Court, I think it's about time we have same gendered coupling and marriage in Dragon Saga. I noticed that the loading bar is now rainbow coloured, could this be a hint that they're going to add it?

#2 Homurasan

Homurasan

Too Legit To Quit

• Banned
  • 1116 posts
  • Server:You can guess.

Posted 22 July 2015 - 11:14 PM

I believe the rainbow bar was more of a symbol of unity (with all seven colours gathered) than a hint to same-sex marriage. I'm totally for it though.

I might as well add that the couple system is lacking. Only a few quests, and a ring you can't use in any way... Maybe some level-related stats would make it more useful ?

Edited by Homurasan, 23 July 2015 - 12:51 AM.

#3 Laburey21

Laburey21

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 409 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 23 July 2015 - 01:23 AM

Following the passing of the same-sex laws by the U.S. Supreme Court, I think it's about time we have same gendered coupling and marriage in Dragon Saga. I noticed that the loading bar is now rainbow coloured, could this be a hint that they're going to add it?

In my opinion this should be of the absolute highest priority for WP to do. In my (still imaginary) list of things-to-do-as-soon-as-developer-takeover-is-complete, this is the #1 entry.

EDIT: The loading bar sure looks nice now, but doesn't really match rainbow colours. I don't think a rainbow was what they had in mind when they changed it.

Edited by Laburey21, 24 July 2015 - 05:30 PM.

#4 ManItsMike

ManItsMike

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 806 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 03:57 PM

I'd like to propose a "sidechick" system, where you get the same bonus as with your couple, BUT a debuff if all three of you are close. ... Just kidding.

The issue with this is that while it's an awesome idea, and adds some diversity, there's always the hate for it, as it's a VERY touchy subject. (Religion, Politics, and Flags fall into this category too.) The word "gay" is thrown around so liberally by players in this server as an insult of some sorts, that it would just create more grounds for them to pick on others. Regardless, I'm a fan of diversity and the "hey! Whatever floats your boat, friendo" attitude and would LOVE to see a system like this implemented at some point.

#5 DarkZekrom

DarkZekrom

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • LocationTexas, USA

Posted 24 July 2015 - 04:22 AM

I was perusing a different thread a few moments ago and noticed that people have been asking for it since as early as 2010, albeit for it in the form of an IM item. Personally, I think this should be free for all players to have.

Edited by DarkZekrom, 24 July 2015 - 04:23 AM.

#6 Homurasan

Homurasan

Too Legit To Quit

• Banned
  • 1116 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 04:39 AM

The issue with this is that while it's an awesome idea, and adds some diversity, there's always the hate for it, as it's a VERY touchy subject. (Religion [...])

Now I kind of feel like picking a random sheet from a bible, make a roll with it, stuff it with weird things and smoke it. This can't be bad for my health, people have been doing so for 2.000 years already and are firmly convinced they'll ascend to Heaven with this someday, which ultimately is what people are looking for when trying drugs of any kind.

(as a reminder : drugs actually are bad for your health, as it permanently destroys cells you normally would only lose by aging. Don't try any if you cherish your life)

#7 Laburey21

Laburey21

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 409 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 24 July 2015 - 05:36 PM

The issue with this is that while it's an awesome idea, and adds some diversity, there's always the hate for it, as it's a VERY touchy subject. (Religion, Politics, and Flags fall into this category too.) The word "gay" is thrown around so liberally by players in this server as an insult of some sorts, that it would just create more grounds for them to pick on others. Regardless, I'm a fan of diversity and the "hey! Whatever floats your boat, friendo" attitude and would LOVE to see a system like this implemented at some point.

I think most of those who throw around "gay" as an insult are people who want to insult just to insult and they will always find ways to do so no matter what happens. Only thing that maybe could stop them is that the chat becomes more firmly moderated.  :p_sad:

#8 DarkZekrom

DarkZekrom

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • LocationTexas, USA

Posted 25 July 2015 - 06:49 PM

I think most of those who throw around "gay" as an insult are people who want to insult just to insult and they will always find ways to do so no matter what happens. Only thing that maybe could stop them is that the chat becomes more firmly moderated.  :p_sad:

A crude way to fix it would be just to add it to filter, although this would prevent people from self describing.  A possible workaround might be only allow it through if they're already coupled with someone else of the same gender.

#9 Homurasan

Homurasan

Too Legit To Quit

• Banned
  • 1116 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 02:23 AM

A crude way to fix it would be just to add it to filter, although this would prevent people from self describing.  A possible workaround might be only allow it through if they're already coupled with someone else of the same gender.

I'm sorry to tell you that this is a bit ridiculous : if people want to use any word they see fit to express their contempt, so be it. As long as it isn't insulting in any way, there is no reason to add it to the chat filter because what people take it for (if they find it insulting) is related to their personal point of view.

Moreover, adding "gay" to the chat filter (or "lesbian" or whatever you wish) would imply it is insulting in itself from WP's point of view, and I believe they are open-minded enough to not take this kind of word for outright trash talk.

#10 DarkZekrom

DarkZekrom

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • LocationTexas, USA

Posted 26 July 2015 - 06:39 PM

I'm sorry to tell you that this is a bit ridiculous : if people want to use any word they see fit to express their contempt, so be it. As long as it isn't insulting in any way, there is no reason to add it to the chat filter because what people take it for (if they find it insulting) is related to their personal point of view.

Moreover, adding "gay" to the chat filter (or "lesbian" or whatever you wish) would imply it is insulting in itself from WP's point of view, and I believe they are open-minded enough to not take this kind of word for outright trash talk.

I do realise it is a bit of a harsh way to do it, but I was just giving what I thought would be the simplest way to go about doing it.

#11 Coolsam

Coolsam

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4997 posts
  • LocationHiding from my Subscribers
  • Server:revreS

Posted 26 July 2015 - 07:47 PM

It requires developmental tools to add movements for the characters to do same-sex couple emotes.

The game never had same-sex couples programmed due to the original developers being South Korean which I believe is still somewhat against same-sex couples or at least in the time of the games creation. So if WarpPortal wanted to add it, it would have to wait until they'd likely acquire better developer tools.

#12 ManItsMike

ManItsMike

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 806 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 09:39 PM

It requires developmental tools to add movements for the characters to do same-sex couple emotes.

The game never had same-sex couples programmed due to the original developers being South Korean which I believe is still somewhat against same-sex couples or at least in the time of the games creation. So if WarpPortal wanted to add it, it would have to wait until they'd likely acquire better developer tools.

That's a great point! I didn't even think about that, since the female is always on the left and the male is always rolling his eyes- I mean on the right!

#13 Rabbicarpo2011

Rabbicarpo2011

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1249 posts
  • Locationbunnies

Posted 28 July 2015 - 09:46 AM

I still say this should be done ;D

#14 Popcorn

Popcorn

Woodie-Holic

• Dragon Saga Staff
  • 5559 posts
  • LocationGermany, Europe, Earth, Milky Way, Universe

Posted 28 July 2015 - 09:54 AM

I still say this should be done ;D

First I want to say, this is my personal opinion and not any official statement:

I personally don't care if same-sex couples would be implemented or not, but I have doubts that this could happen. Why? Because many players from different cultures are playing here. And I am sure that there are many cultures which do not tolerate this for whatever reasons. In this case a game publisher could lose the players of these cultures. 

Just my opinion.

#15 Homurasan

Homurasan

Too Legit To Quit

• Banned
  • 1116 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 11:52 AM

[...] there are many cultures which do not tolerate this for whatever reasons.

This is precisely the kind of "whatever" I don't like. This topic caused a huge uproar in France as to why it shouldn't be done ; it was mostly about some kind of "Lord" and the things that some person we know very little of probably wrote 2.000 years ago or so. I can understand WP's concern though...

#16 Popcorn

Popcorn

Woodie-Holic

• Dragon Saga Staff
  • 5559 posts
  • LocationGermany, Europe, Earth, Milky Way, Universe

Posted 28 July 2015 - 12:05 PM

This is precisely the kind of "whatever" I don't like. This topic caused a huge uproar in France as to why it shouldn't be done ; it was mostly about some kind of "Lord" and the things that some person we know very little of probably wrote 2.000 years ago or so. I can understand WP's concern though...

As I said, it wasn't any official WP statement, it was my personal opinion.  However I put your request on the list of things that could be done when the possibility of developing the client is available. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users