Talvis

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1985 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the Midwest
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Renewal Chaos

Posted 30 July 2015 - 09:07 AM

So, I got thinking, what if the devs made a completely new underlying server program for RO?  The idea would be that the primary game play would remain the same but the underlying system would be completely new.

Here's a few things that the new system could do:

Better netcode for less lag, etc.

Updated, fully functioning, quest system.  Our current quest system is haphazard at best.  While the quest window gives great options, most quests barely make use of it.  A full quest system would have unified use of quest marker, better way to handle timers, modern npc interface for quests, and the ability to delete quests.  Also, when a quest is removed, all traces would be removed from your quest log.

A quest system update could be incorporated into the map window.  Imagine if you could open the world map and the location of your quest target was shown, you know, like modern mmos.

Spoiler

Updated instancing system.  Faster instance creation and better handling of cooldown timers.

Better monster ai.  Monsters could have much more complex ai than they currently have.

Make the world more seamless.  Just think if you could go from map to map without having to load each one.  At the very least, multiple maps in each zone could be combined to one.  All the Prontera maps could be one large map, Mjolnr maps could all be one, etc.

What other upgrades could come in a complete rebuild of the server system that wouldn't change the core gameplay of RO?

Edited by Talvis, 09 August 2015 - 05:18 PM.

#2 RichieDagger

RichieDagger

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 929 posts
  • LocationUnder your bed.
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 30 July 2015 - 09:29 AM

^ This and more was what I was foolishly expecting when I first got word of renewal.

More polygons on the models, higher resolution textures & sprites.

Better templating & standardization on everything.

Don't have my full laundry list off hand, but I assure you it wouldn't all fit here.

Addendum:

Dynamic lighting with day/night (compressed), seasonal, and weather cycles.

Variable spawn and drop tables to correspond with the aforementioned.

A closed economy.

A functional auction system.

Edited by RichieDagger, 31 July 2015 - 05:51 AM.

#3 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

My Offline Life is Nonexistent.

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts
  • Server:Sakray->Iris->Ymir->Chaos

Posted 30 July 2015 - 09:37 AM

Updated instancing system. Faster instance creation and better handling of cooldown timers.

Actually, the developers have always referred to the system as memorial dungeons so it's inaccurate of us to refer to them as instance dungeons as instancing isn't what it actually does. RO's memorial dungeon system is more reminiscent of modern day raid dungeons since it has a cooldown between runs, but even then raid dungeons generate an instance for each raid party whereas RO's memorial dungeon system puts players in a queue.

Asking for an actual instance dungeon system where it generates separate instances for each player/party so you're not waiting on someone else in a queue is what you're suggesting.

Make the world more seamless.  Just think if you could go from map to map without having to load each one.  At the very least, multiple maps in each zone could be combined to one.  All the Prontera maps could be one large map, Mjolnr maps could all be one, etc.

RO2 actually started out as a seamless world, but they switched to RO-like map separation before launch because having a seamless world is strenuous for our individual computers to load. Not to mention supporting a whole seamless world like that is also strenuous on the hosting servers as well. Granted, I doubt a seamless RO would strain servers that much, but we also have to take into account that the developers never fully fleshed out the world maps and dungeons so there's bound to be graphical gaps in many places where the map borders connect.

Although I have to wonder if they make it so all maps in RO were seamless with no portals, teleporting would be wonky since the world would be divided into zones instead of maps. You could end up from one end of a zone to another with Fly Wings/Teleport (i.e. using teleport in Payon Forest could take you from one end of the zone to the complete opposite end instead of just a small section of it since Payon Forest consists of many maps).

#4 Necrohealiac

Necrohealiac

10,000 posts and not even a Tiki-Shirt.

• Members
  • 13389 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 09:50 AM

the only instance that takes a while to reserve usually is GMT. for some reason that instance takes absolutely forever. agree on the instance timer handling, it's something that should definitely be looked at.

at least they appear to have fixed the instance creation bug; haven't had any issues around that since camp announced that it was resolved.

#5 Talvis

Talvis

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1985 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 10:23 AM

I've never read that much into RO calling instance dungeons memorial dungeons. I just assumed it was just a name. Actually I believe it is a true instance like other games, its just that the system takes a while to create it and it creates them in the order people request them. If you dona /where in them the name comes as "randomletters1@mapname" where as, 1@mapname is the map name and the random letters before it is the individual instance if.
Larger continuous maps would have issues. Monsters would have to have spawn zones and maybe specific wandering areas or they would all end up in a far corner. Fwings would have to have a specific distance you can go led use.

#6 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

My Offline Life is Nonexistent.

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts
  • Server:Sakray->Iris->Ymir->Chaos

Posted 30 July 2015 - 11:38 AM

I've never read that much into RO calling instance dungeons memorial dungeons. I just assumed it was just a name. Actually I believe it is a true instance like other games, its just that the system takes a while to create it and it creates them in the order people request them. If you dona /where in them the name comes as "randomletters1@mapname" where as, 1@mapname is the map name and the random letters before it is the individual instance if.

Just feels to me that the system can only make a limited amount of instances at a time, which is why we have to manually reserve it instead of just going in. Reason being because the system will occasionally tell me that I have to wait for a previous player's instance to finish before I can go in, which leads me to believe either the system can't generate that many new instances or players are just teleported to premade maps that are rotated and reset with each reservation.

Larger continuous maps would have issues. Monsters would have to have spawn zones and maybe specific wandering areas or they would all end up in a far corner. Fwings would have to have a specific distance you can go led use.

Monsters can be programmed to have specific spawn and wandering areas; it's just that in modern MMORPGs the wandering area is highly restrictive compared to RO where the monster can wander in a much bigger space. This could be an issue with big zones like Payon Forest and Sograt Desert, which consist of many maps. I'm sure players would QQ about having to find certain monsters' territories in a zone instead of just going to certain maps to find them.

As for teleportation, they could set it to only teleport within your current zone. I'm just mentioning this because there are a few pretty big zones in RO and teleports can land a player much farther away than they'd like to be.

#7 Talvis

Talvis

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1985 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 11:43 AM

I've never seen a message like that when doing a instance. My guess would be that there's a maximum number that can be made. The reason it takes a while to generate one is just out of date system limitations, which this idea would fix.

#8 Necrohealiac

Necrohealiac

10,000 posts and not even a Tiki-Shirt.

• Members
  • 13389 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 11:59 AM

I've been slotted in a queues to make instances before but it clears out very quickly (like usually the furthest is position 2, usually it's always 1). I've never gotten a message saying I needed to wait for a previous instance to be finished before I could enter.

#9 Talvis

Talvis

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1985 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 03:02 PM

I edited my first post to show some Ideas of how the quest system would work with an updated system.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users