Classic RO2 Server - Page 7 - Ragnarok 2 Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo

Classic RO2 Server

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
167 replies to this topic

#151 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

My Offline Life is Nonexistent.

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Sakray->Iris->Ymir->Chaos

Posted 17 November 2015 - 10:53 AM

*facepalm* yeah I'm totally surprised at how similar the basic concept of inflation is.

Please point out where inflation was mentioned in both arguments, because I was referring to how you think monetary generation in video games works the same way as real-life. Video game money is generated from NPCs, it's not sourced from a corporation-like entity that has control over how much money each player gets at what rate. I did not misunderstand, you simply didn't present your argument clearly.

I notice you don't play this game from your reply, but as much as Zero suggested how teleport and repair cost so much zeny, they really don't. There wasn't much zeny sink back then, but the economy was quite stable....until they updated this game to AoV and mobs started "dropping valuable trash loot".
Underutilize looks like a good method to mitigate inflation.

If players didn't grind on extra monsters for more money, then yes, the game was balanced with repair costs and flight transports. However, all that changed when the botters took over the Auction Hall and placed huge sums of zeny on the accounts of the lucky few. Botters have always been the cause of rapid inflation in online game economies. Yes, it's possible for players to cause inflation themselves if the game doesn't offer enough zeny sinks, but you can't say that botters weren't a major contribution to the rapid inflation that hit iRO2 early on in its life.

Edited by ZeroTigress, 17 November 2015 - 10:54 AM.

#152 ChocoVivi

ChocoVivi

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 167 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online 2

Posted 17 November 2015 - 11:54 AM

Please point out where inflation was mentioned in both arguments, because I was referring to how you think monetary generation in video games works the same way as real-life. Video game money is generated from NPCs, it's not sourced from a corporation-like entity that has control over how much money each player gets at what rate. I did not misunderstand, you simply didn't present your argument clearly.

If players didn't grind on extra monsters for more money, then yes, the game was balanced with repair costs and flight transports. However, all that changed when the botters took over the Auction Hall and placed huge sums of zeny on the accounts of the lucky few. Botters have always been the cause of rapid inflation in online game economies. Yes, it's possible for players to cause inflation themselves if the game doesn't offer enough zeny sinks, but you can't say that botters weren't a major contribution to the rapid inflation that hit iRO2 early on in its life.

>_>..................I see what Kanouji was saying. Alright, you win. Good luck having this classic server up.

#153 johnwally

johnwally

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 142 posts
  • Server:Odin

Posted 17 November 2015 - 03:56 PM

In a few words: the intention here (or at least mine) is bringing back LotS and from that point on, keep following its path instead of turning on AoV's corner. Anything else is just a suggestion on what kind of features could be added to build this path, of course not counting the obvious things every single player wants to be done, like fixing bugs, lags and balancing classes better.

Is it possible? Yes, but it's more likely Gravity won't go ahead with it. (they seem to love making mistakes) Unless players support the idea and show they preferring LotS than AoV (massive amount of requests, polls or even boycotts or strikes lol), there isn't much to do, but talking about how nostalgically good was LotS compared with AoV.

#154 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 07:51 PM

>_>..................I see what Kanouji was saying. Alright, you win. Good luck having this classic server up.

Who said anything about winning? The main argument you and Kanouji brought up is that you prefer a simple return to the LOTS version of the game with AOV content and bug fixes, but that just means a resignation to the developers' lazy fate for RO2 to be nothing more than a mediocre clone of WoW. I simply don't agree with keeping RO2 to that mediocrity when the game can offer more than that if they were to go into a more RO-like direction. Inflation control comes with the territory, but it's a small part of the bigger picture of trying to make RO2 successful.

In a few words: the intention here (or at least mine) is bringing back LotS and from that point on, keep following its path instead of turning on AoV's corner. Anything else is just a suggestion on what kind of features could be added to build this path, of course not counting the obvious things every single player wants to be done, like fixing bugs, lags and balancing classes better.

Is it possible? Yes, but it's more likely Gravity won't go ahead with it. (they seem to love making mistakes) Unless players support the idea and show they preferring LotS than AoV (massive amount of requests, polls or even boycotts or strikes lol), there isn't much to do, but talking about how nostalgically good was LotS compared with AoV.

Quite to the contrary, this whole thread's purpose is mostly a proposal to rewind RO2 to the kRO2 beta version of the game and taking it into a different direction if the developers are willing to put in the work that an ambitious project like a sequel to RO requires in order to attain some level of success. Everything that we've gotten outside of kRO2's beta tests is a watered-down, minimal effort version of the game, which includes the LOTS version of the game. RO2 has proven that bare minimum investment results in bare minimum returns. We are simply suggesting a possible win-win scenario for the game in which we the players get a game that we can actually enjoy and can retain players better and the developers can get the profits they wanted out of the game as a result of that.

#155 Kanouji

Kanouji

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 20 November 2015 - 03:54 PM

Who said anything about winning? The main argument you and Kanouji brought up is that you prefer a simple return to the LOTS version of the game with AOV content and bug fixes, but that just means a resignation to the developers' lazy fate for RO2 to be nothing more than a mediocre clone of WoW. I simply don't agree with keeping RO2 to that mediocrity when the game can offer more than that if they were to go into a more RO-like direction. Inflation control comes with the territory, but it's a small part of the bigger picture of trying to make RO2 successful.

Quite to the contrary, this whole thread's purpose is mostly a proposal to rewind RO2 to the kRO2 beta version of the game and taking it into a different direction if the developers are willing to put in the work that an ambitious project like a sequel to RO requires in order to attain some level of success. Everything that we've gotten outside of kRO2's beta tests is a watered-down, minimal effort version of the game, which includes the LOTS version of the game. RO2 has proven that bare minimum investment results in bare minimum returns. We are simply suggesting a possible win-win scenario for the game in which we the players get a game that we can actually enjoy and can retain players better and the developers can get the profits they wanted out of the game as a result of that.

What I want to play is a Classic Server, that's why I came to this topic. You clearly stated here that what you want is to reshape the entire RO2, that's why I argued with you.

What I remember from beta was a bugged version of RO2, an account based storage that didn't work, people falling under the ground while killing ChonChons, even less quests than AoV has now, poor graphics and optimization, clunky mechanics and a barely playable game. Then we got LOTS and all these complaints about RO2 being a WoW clone. It wasn't the best game out there and neither the best RO2 could be, but it had its charm, it was cool and that's why so many people want it back. If you can make it better with all these things you asked, go on, but most of these things aren't really that necessary to make us happy with an RO2 Classic Server.

In addition, LOTS, the "mediocre WoW clone" that you're talking about could hold up more than 20k players prior to AoV release.

Edited by Kanouji, 20 November 2015 - 03:57 PM.

#156 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 08:04 PM

What I want to play is a Classic Server, that's why I came to this topic. You clearly stated here that what you want is to reshape the entire RO2, that's why I argued with you.

What I remember from beta was a bugged version of RO2, an account based storage that didn't work, people falling under the ground while killing ChonChons, even less quests than AoV has now, poor graphics and optimization, clunky mechanics and a barely playable game. Then we got LOTS and all these complaints about RO2 being a WoW clone. It wasn't the best game out there and neither the best RO2 could be, but it had its charm, it was cool and that's why so many people want it back. If you can make it better with all these things you asked, go on, but most of these things aren't really that necessary to make us happy with an RO2 Classic Server.

In addition, LOTS, the "mediocre WoW clone" that you're talking about could hold up more than 20k players prior to AoV release.

Beta kRO2, where many of these ideas originated, is classic RO2 as well so the idea of classic still applies. Hence why the thread is called Classic RO2, not Classic iRO2. That's why I suggested that another thread be made for those who prefer old iRO2 instead of old RO2 as a whole.

By all means, do start up a Classic iRO2 thread if you disagree with this remix of RO2. I don't see why I have to be convinced of it when it's obvious there are RO2 players who would prefer that over a RO2 remix.

#157 Kanouji

Kanouji

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 03:48 PM

Beta kRO2, where many of these ideas originated, is classic RO2 as well so the idea of classic still applies. Hence why the thread is called Classic RO2, not Classic iRO2. That's why I suggested that another thread be made for those who prefer old iRO2 instead of old RO2 as a whole.

By all means, do start up a Classic iRO2 thread if you disagree with this remix of RO2. I don't see why I have to be convinced of it when it's obvious there are RO2 players who would prefer that over a RO2 remix.

Well said: ideas, because none of them worked properly hence why they were removed upon official release. Moreover, "Classic RO2 server" is a bit misleading title, since most of players who read this topic are iRO2 players on iRO2 forums hoping for an iRO2 classic server, not kRO2 players on kRO2 forums hoping for a kRO2 classic server, but I got your point. I'll start another thread suggesting a Classic LOTS server.

#158 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 01:00 PM

Well said: ideas, because none of them worked properly hence why they were removed upon official release.

We don't know for sure if those features were removed because they didn't work properly or because the developers simply gave up because they felt it was too much work to even bother. If they really wanted those features to work, then they'd find a way to make them work. Game development isn't as rigid as, say, making buildings where a lot of things are out of the realm of possibility. No one thought pet battles would work in an MMORPG, but Blizzard sure proved them wrong. If the problem is with the engine, then they could just make up their own. They've already done that with RO's Aegis engine. It all boils down to whether or not they have the drive to make it all work.

Moreover, "Classic RO2 server" is a bit misleading title, since most of players who read this topic are iRO2 players on iRO2 forums hoping for an iRO2 classic server, not kRO2 players on kRO2 forums hoping for a kRO2 classic server, but I got your point. I'll start another thread suggesting a Classic LOTS server.

RO2's hype came from what the development team did with and planned for kRO2; much of RO2's overall disappointment stems from them not delivering on what they envisioned for the game.

#159 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 01:05 PM

Ah yes, having the long range Kafra in EVERY city/town/village would be a lovely change. If people want to spend money for more efficient transport, why not let them? Would also help spread people around instead of clumping them into the big cities/towns.

#160 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 03:14 PM

Bump for consideration.

#161 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 11:58 PM

Proof that there is a demand for a pre-AOV server.

#162 Belegnir

Belegnir

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 238 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

Posted 01 June 2016 - 04:28 PM

I'd just like to mention how I do support this as well for the most part. Being a BM and all, I don't know how I feel about some suggestions regarding the BM's removal, but I also have converted to Christian Magic priesthood, so... I don't think I'd really mind too much in the long run. I'd just have a new main.

That being said, I think that if such a server was implemented as well, a lot of the players who were hyped for a continuation of RO1 or a 3D variant of RO1 would be thrilled to play this sort of server as well.

My only question is (and, pardon if it was already asked), will there be a character transfer? I have a feeling the answer is no, but the question is more out of curiosity and the answer has no impact on whether or not I'd play this type of server. As stated, I do support this idea.

#163 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 06:43 PM

If the server is implemented as requested, I don't think a transfer would be possible with the different mechanics and job class system. You'd have to remake your character either way.

#164 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 03:55 PM

So, who'd like a classic RO2 server (kRO2 beta version)?

#165 xLuc

xLuc

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 07:54 AM

I would.

#166 SanaisHere

SanaisHere

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 39 posts
  • Server:Freyja Forever Lol.

Posted 28 March 2017 - 05:25 AM

lurking in shadows here....  :ok:  waiting 

#167 MrGugo

MrGugo

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 183 posts
  • LocationViña del Mar, Chile.

Posted 28 March 2017 - 08:54 AM

My brother and me, ohai :)

#168 Varitas

Varitas

Too Legit To Quit

• Retired
  • 1017 posts
  • Twitter:@CM_Varitas
  • LocationEVERYWHERE!

Posted 13 April 2017 - 03:11 PM

Hello, 

At this time we will be locking this thread for Thread Necroing.    

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users