PvM.. Classic or Renewal? What's your opinion? - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

PvM.. Classic or Renewal? What's your opinion?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 starchrome9

starchrome9

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 28 August 2015 - 11:16 PM

Yes I know this thread has been made before but I'm just curious what everyone thinks on the PVM aspect of both games.

MY opinion:
I've played both equally and I believe they both shine in certain areas. I would say though, that I can't decide which is better in general for PvM.

I feel that Classic is much more of an "adventure" style  than Renewal as it forces you to travel and fight many different types of monsters throughout your leveling and going alone is almost always fatal. But with renewal its as if I really don't need to travel anywhere and can easily reach 99, then after that it's pretty much almost exclusively to Grampa unless you want to grind for hours on the outskirts. Both are extremely grindy, but I would say that Renewal + Gramps is much more grindy and boring. And if you hate Gramps, what else is there to really do? 

MVP's and MOBing

Renewal: Much more satisfying as MVP's and MOB's are killed fairly easily by most parties even below level cap, or way below it sometimes. Anyone can do insane damage regardless of class unless its a priest. You're extremely powerful no matter what pretty much.

Classic: Always weak, even when you are a 99 a simple Bio can 1-3 hit you and MVP's are basically in their old ages as nobody touches them even parties of Trans stray away. Much more hardcore and unforgiving, potions must be drank like the world is going to end.

End Game Content:

Renewal: I feel the fact that MVP's are easier in this there isn't any real "end game". There's no need to find friends and get help from anyone, you can pretty much solo everything.

Classic: Forces you to find friends to defeat MVP's and farm for items. The "end game" lasts a long time because of this and almost never ends.

Ease of Getting to MAX Level:

Renewal: Way more annoying and grindy but MUCH easier, the constant Gramps grind makes it such a bore fest. I can't stand leveling past 100+ as it's always the same thing every level. Max level isn't even needed as most things in the game don't require it.

Classic: Extremely difficult and grindy but makes it worthwhile as things are more interesting since there is no Gramps to help you. You are left to travel and fight monsters on your own, but it's much more unforgiving and the game doesn't hold your hand.

I want to hear your opinion on Renewal vs Classic for PVM. Which is better? Which is Worse?

Furthermore, what do you feel about MVP's, MOBing, Ease of getting to max level, and End Game content/things to achieve for both?

Also, do you agree with the way Renewal ended up, with all the expansions?

Edited by freezinghazard, 28 August 2015 - 11:16 PM.

#2 AlmrOfAtlas

AlmrOfAtlas

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6533 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 11:37 PM

Classic's PvM isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be. The problem that most people face and don't seem willing or capable to surmount is that it requires multiple sets of gear tailored to whatever mobs you're fighting. There's no "one size fits all" weapon, shield or armour.

Properly geared and buffed, you can tank pretty much anything in the game on any class that has a decent HP mod, and solo effectively in places that at first glance one would consider to be very dangerous, such as the lower levels of Holy Ground, Somatology Lab, Juperos and Thors, and the various GDs.

Getting to max level on Classic is also pretty easy. To quote myself from a little while ago:

At one point I would've directed people like that to Classic to see what Pre-Renewal leveling is/was like, but with the permanently boosted EXP rate over there, abundance of BMX3s and Mercs, perma-Janeway and perma-TIs with far greater EXP rewards than Gramps it's actually easier to level there than Renewal atm.

#3 HayrohsLegacy

HayrohsLegacy

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6755 posts
  • Location名古屋、Japan
  • Server:Loki Champ & Chaos RG

Posted 28 August 2015 - 11:38 PM

I play both but I was more of PVM in pre-RE/Classic > and I'd still consider that as one of my favorites in this game [like MVP reflect-killing and ET w/Trans]. I still log on my LK/TKM leech random chars too on EXP events in Classic coz of my undying love in Thors. PVM/MVP is balanced/more challenging (requires proper classes/setup). But the gears instances/gears are not updating anymore/less end game.

Renewal > I play Gene off-WOEs, the MVP-ing side is undeniably too easy or mostly soloable, with all the OP cash-shop items and new skill mechanics. Normal mobs too in turn-ins [and like the only way to efficiently level, and maxing levels is easier compared to pre-RE] doesnt need specific class/real party setups to kill whatever unless you are doing Bio 4 [and this is the mostly fun PVM I still do in Chaos] But in Renewal, I enjoy testing/exploring new instances/collecting new gears/upgrading > more end game.

The way I play RO: I find my own reasons and whatever you find for yourself fun or as long as you play with your friends, either version is ok (y).

*PS: only PVM side I hate in both: Homun-leveling /swt

Edited by HayrohsLegacy, 29 August 2015 - 12:13 AM.

#4 Themes

Themes

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1412 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 11:57 PM

Are you talking about pre-renewal Classic in general or iRO Classic?

The iRO server is almost nothing like what you've described to be entirely honest, I think it's an issue a lot of people have when they consider playing there. There has been a lot of flavour of life changes to make the game faster and more accessible to the people who are interested or enjoy the mechanics.

There's a few 1 shot type mechanics around in PvM for Classic, but most of them are avoidable and they can all be mitigated with gear (some super expensive obviously). However a decent health pool and Assumptio and you can probably live through most anything if you're willing to pot.

With regards to the end game content, there are people who frequently solo/duo all the end game bosses right now. That's partially because of the amount of competition for them and partially amounts of gear, but players have evolved methods, strategies and builds/gear to help them handle end game content easier.

Leveling is also incredibly fast, there's group based turnins available to anyone who struggles with the solo play and for those who are ok soloing have the increased server rates to help them along. There's also a permanent Jumping Janeway to help people get past the boring and tedious first class sections of the game.

Now after saying that, you can choose to play Classic however you like. There's room for the power gamers who want to spend as little time/effort and will try get their characters maxed out as fast as possible, there's also room for more casual players who enjoy the grind and want to auto attack things off in a random field somewhere. The server isnt perfect and there's still a lot of things that could get changed to make it a more interesting experience but it's definitely not the hardcore, group only, grindfest that some people expect or try to make it out to be.

As for Renewal I've always been curious, I quit before it was launched and there's some things that look like a lot of fun, but I tend to need a leveling partner or two and most of my friends have already played some Renewal and didnt really enjoy themselves so it's hard for me to sit down and commit to playing.

Edited by Themes, 28 August 2015 - 11:59 PM.

#5 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • Twitter:@nekoxellie
  • LocationValhalla
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Europe ban!

Posted 29 August 2015 - 12:19 AM

For me: I almost always played solo in pre-renewal. I leaned toward melee classes and just did my own thing when I felt like it. Toward the end I started playing priest and developed a whole new appreciation for the required teamwork aspect too. For example me and my partner (a wizard) were dependent on eachother, but it gave us a reason to do things together. It was nice.

MVPs on renewal always felt a bit too easy for me. I am a challenge seeker, I like things to be difficult. So although it's nice to faceroll high end things from time to time, Classic keeps me interested. Also, I enjoy working with others and teaching them the team dynamics for MVPing. It makes things more social!

...says me who likes to mvp most things solo with an assassin. Best of both for me!

End game content.

I might have to give this one to renewal. On Classic with have ET/sealed shrine/nyd. But in renewal there's a variety of things, such as instances but also the dailies to keep you going and going. Enchantments and stuff. Your endgame gear maxes easy on classic.

Ease of getting to max level.

Personally I think Classic is easier because you can cheese level/leech. TKMs, Turn ins get you to max level in a matter of hours, it's easy. 

On renewal tho, not only is the max level longer/harder (like needing bio4 parties to progress past 150) but also you are punished greatly for NOT being max level (status resistances) where as on Classic you can be passable at ~95.

#6 OBBO

OBBO

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 593 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 02:59 AM

Pre-Renewal :

1. No level cap makes players have more techniques and ways to go.

2. Max level and stats at 99 makes the game to have more specific builds on every class.

3. 2nd class' skills require players to use techniques to reach their max potential and Trans' skills are just for tearing down target to pieces ... but not as much as 3rd skills in Renewal.

4. The true MMORPG that forces players to play as team in End-Game period. Living alone in Thor Volcano, for example, is too risky for the heart to be ripped off.

Renewal :

1. below 99, some classes are still able to level fast by killing monster 1by1 while 3rd are just mobbing, mobbing and mobbing

2. Been wondering if there will be a beyond Lv175 expansion to the game ? I personally feel people here are all Superman's ancestors.

Regarding builds, I found my all characters have almost the same stats because they must be well-prepared before moving on to 3rd classes.

Some characters that have 1 or 2 stats 99 maxed as in Pre-Renewal are just can't continue their lives after level 99. 

(For example: low VIT is impossible for mobbing, low DEX is impossible to hit monsters, not enough AGI will make some 3rd tier skills become non-viable, spending point to some stats that are 80+ yields less result than on 1-30 luk)

3. Most 1st 2nd and trans' skills are nerfed to useless. Some builds before 3rd classes are too hard to play alone because Skill Points must only be reserved to the skills that are still useful after become 3rd class

Think of the SinX's Soul Destroyer, nah....  so unfortunate.

4. All 3rd classes are designed to be able to do a mob-massacre. Even some AB can solo-play in mid-TI on some weeks because of their Mora's Judgement Set that boosts ME's damage.

5. Too individualism and boring. The game suits the player who needs casual activities like : Accept quests, go mob and get the counts, then submit to get rewards and gain a level, okay, this is a day for RO --> Log off.

To sum up, I like Pre-Renewal more than Renewal......... but not the IRO Classic.

Furthermore, what do you feel about MVP's, MOBing, Ease of getting to max level, and End Game content/things to achieve for both?

MVP--> I prefer ordinary human life, I just don't want to be more serious on competing MVP with other player unless playing as priest to help my friends.

Mob --> I don't like pulling monsters because I will be vulnerable to the KSers which is 80% of people in the server.

Ease of getting to max LV --> The hardship is Pre-Re > Renewal 

Sure Janeway helps, but after Janeway (71+) is hellish. Since I mentioned above, it's a lot harder to solo-play.

A person who have 1-2 friends like me will have to put a lot of effort for almost 1 month to become Lv99 and rebirth.

In IRO Classic, I asked people around if they'd like to level with me, 99% they replied they bored the game and wan't to sit still for chatting only. So it was boring and I had to quit because I couldn't do anything more than I was doing.

Someone said "you can pay like 100m to hire someone to let you leech at Thor".  ..........*Sigh*

10451907_834947556558806_724907120570904

No capitalism on leveling please.......

Lv99 as a trans is not my goal at all because I don't like the aura below my feet.

Also, do you agree with the way Renewal ended up, with all the expansions?

mmmm..... 

Renewal ---> Good for the company.

Pre-Renewal ---> Better for players

Edited by OBBO, 29 August 2015 - 04:09 AM.

#7 Gn1ydnu

Gn1ydnu

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2077 posts
  • LocationBoston
  • Server:Classic

Posted 29 August 2015 - 03:01 AM

I played solo on both servers. I enjoy pre-renewal more. However, I did spend a bunch of time semi recently doing some pvm on renewal, mostly because it's "new" to me.

#8 starchrome9

starchrome9

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 03:37 AM

Are you talking about pre-renewal Classic in general or iRO Classic?

The iRO server is almost nothing like what you've described to be entirely honest, I think it's an issue a lot of people have when they consider playing there. There has been a lot of flavour of life changes to make the game faster and more accessible to the people who are interested or enjoy the mechanics.

There's a few 1 shot type mechanics around in PvM for Classic, but most of them are avoidable and they can all be mitigated with gear (some super expensive obviously). However a decent health pool and Assumptio and you can probably live through most anything if you're willing to pot.

With regards to the end game content, there are people who frequently solo/duo all the end game bosses right now. That's partially because of the amount of competition for them and partially amounts of gear, but players have evolved methods, strategies and builds/gear to help them handle end game content easier.

Leveling is also incredibly fast, there's group based turnins available to anyone who struggles with the solo play and for those who are ok soloing have the increased server rates to help them along. There's also a permanent Jumping Janeway to help people get past the boring and tedious first class sections of the game.

Now after saying that, you can choose to play Classic however you like. There's room for the power gamers who want to spend as little time/effort and will try get their characters maxed out as fast as possible, there's also room for more casual players who enjoy the grind and want to auto attack things off in a random field somewhere. The server isnt perfect and there's still a lot of things that could get changed to make it a more interesting experience but it's definitely not the hardcore, group only, grindfest that some people expect or try to make it out to be.

As for Renewal I've always been curious, I quit before it was launched and there's some things that look like a lot of fun, but I tend to need a leveling partner or two and most of my friends have already played some Renewal and didnt really enjoy themselves so it's hard for me to sit down and commit to playing.

Sorry, i've been out of the game for a while, my opinions are years old heh. :p_laugh:

OBBO

To sum up, I like Pre-Renewal more than Renewal......... but not the IRO Classic.

Now I'm ultimately confused, is that why Classic seems much different than what I used to play  :wah: . But also the same thing at the same time? 

Edited by freezinghazard, 29 August 2015 - 03:40 AM.

#9 OBBO

OBBO

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 593 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 03:48 AM

OBBO

Now I'm ultimately confused, is that why Classic seems much different than what I used to play  :wah: . But also the same thing at the same time? 

Oops, maybe I edited my post too late... don't know if those new texts can answer your rep.

#10 starchrome9

starchrome9

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 04:05 AM

Oops, maybe I edited my post too late... don't know if those new texts can answer your rep.

Ah! Janeway, I just made a super novice on classic and yes I agree on the playerbase all being super blank not wanting to do anything. So yeah, the Classic we have now is like a ghost town and it's supposed to be for parties  :p_swt: . I really want to make a serious character on Classic but that is going to be tough  :p_ang:

#11 Themes

Themes

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1412 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 11:33 AM

Sorry, i've been out of the game for a while, my opinions are years old heh. :p_laugh:

Ya a lot has changed, hope I didnt come across too harsh, I just see a lot of people saying incorrect things about the Classic server and dont want people to feel they cant play if they dont have 100 hours to level a character.

The big thing it's missing is just players. You're right that it can feel a bit like a ghost town, ideally there'd be more people around. Asgard is a nice start as there's a lot of people generally around there, but we havent managed to get it quite as active for groups/parties as I was hoping.

Classic does lack a lot of the cool instances Renewal has been getting, however the GMs have better creative control (although limited by the server/client software) and can come up with some custom content without having to consult kRO to get it implemented.

#12 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • Twitter:@nekoxellie
  • LocationValhalla
  • Server:Europe ban!

Posted 29 August 2015 - 05:07 PM

Don't tell anyone I told you this, but west pront kafra is becoming popular for finding parties...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users