iRO closing soon? true or not? - Page 3 - Ragnarok subforum archives - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo

iRO closing soon? true or not?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
276 replies to this topic

#51 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • Twitter:@nekoxellie
  • LocationValhalla
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Europe ban!

Posted 05 November 2015 - 07:43 AM

no loyalty, I had hope.

#52 Orcrist08

Orcrist08

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 07:46 AM

RO isn't in beta and it's crappy and buggy, but I digress. That's not why I said it.

If anything that-game-which-shall-not-be-named will draw players back, not away.

MMOs are a dying breed sadly. That which we wanted from RO many years ago is not something that is ever going to be good in the market. It's not viable anymore to profit from the old style of game that RO is - kids nowadays are too impatient!

you are seeing it in a gamers perspective... at the end of the day iRO is still a business, and like all company owners/boardmembers/stockholders before they lose money they will declare bankruptcy. this has been proven by history... and like all players/customers/clients all we can do is NOTHING

#53 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 05 November 2015 - 07:51 AM

I'm very aware that iRO is a business. But it's also run cutting every corner and pinching every penny as far as I can see. Kids can operate RO servers at a profit out of their basement. (lets assume the datacenter move is cost saving, cause I dont think it would be for efficiency) - kp sales alone could probably pay for the staff. Some people spend insane amounts on the game. That's not accounting for the other games/vip sales or even the mobile titles.

Now this may be an uneducated guess, but I think iRO is making more money than kRO atm....

iRO might lose $700-$1000/month with the loss of my guilds activities. I don't think it will hurt them too much overall tho. But that figure speaks heavily of the value of single players and their groups.

Edited by Xellie, 05 November 2015 - 07:53 AM.

#54 Saralen

Saralen

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 583 posts
  • Location...
  • Server:Renewal

Posted 05 November 2015 - 07:52 AM

Hope for? An independent outside game that has no similarity to RO other than their origins to serve as a slingshot?

I understand your wish for the prosperity of this game, but it's just not that way. Reality is far more cruel. Even in the fantasy world of Rune-Midgard there's oppression, political powerplay, and backdoor dealing. Unscrupulous business practices, severe administrative and merchandise mismanagement, and terrible marketing are the nails that will drive the coffin shut, not a game that's beautiful on its own and has yet to unfurl to its potential. If RO was meant to die someday, perhaps all that's left to do is wait.

You're free to hope as much as you wish, but for your sake I hope you're right. And let's not speak about you-know-what anymore. It's not related to RO, it should never be related to RO.

#55 Saralen

Saralen

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 583 posts
  • Location...

Posted 05 November 2015 - 07:56 AM

iRO might lose $700-$1000/month with the loss of my guilds activities. I don't think it will hurt them too much overall tho. But that figure speaks heavily of the value of single players and their groups.

Uh…

I know you want to show loyalty and love RO, but I think you just helped condemn it to have a p2w rep with that statement.

Edited by Saralen, 05 November 2015 - 07:57 AM.

#56 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 05 November 2015 - 07:57 AM

No, hope for a game to revive mmo world. I want it to do well for that reason - but the only way it can do well is to not be RO. So in reality RO won't die because of that game - it will be it's own undoing.

but if anything, the fact that game is not like RO will bring nostalgia seekers back to us.

my stream viewer count actually proved this last beta.

#57 Necrohealiac

Necrohealiac

10,000 posts and not even a Tiki-Shirt.

• Members
  • 13389 posts
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 05 November 2015 - 07:58 AM

Uh…

I know you want to show loyalty and love RO, but I think you just helped condemn it to have a p2w rep.

you're equating spending money with p2w. that's not necessarily the case, especially for classic.

#58 Saralen

Saralen

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 583 posts
  • Location...

Posted 05 November 2015 - 07:59 AM

No, hope for a game to revive mmo world. I want it to do well for that reason - but the only way it can do well is to not be RO. So in reality RO won't die because of that game - it will be it's own undoing.

but if anything, the fact that game is not like RO will bring nostalgia seekers back to us.
my stream viewer count actually proved this last beta.

I don't think I got the gist of the first paragraph. :p_conf: Can you explain it more specifically, or simpler, whichever?

#59 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 05 November 2015 - 08:01 AM

Uh…

I know you want to show loyalty and love RO, but I think you just helped condemn it to have a p2w rep with that statement.

Sad isn't it? That figure comes from lucky box spending, Random VIP, gum, foods, tokens, kcards - it doesn't all come directly from us, we buy from other users also. We have a userbase of ~30 atm

It does not include money spent on the game to fight us. I'd double our impact on the server in reality, but if you just sit down and think about it... it's scary. . I spend ~$45./month on VIP+points packages alone (3 accounts of VIP) and that doesn't include random bull-_- accounts that I suddenly wanna level, boxes, k cards, the like.

I'm also not one of the bigger spenders on the game. Even if we buy all our stuff off other players, someone had to spend it.

So I think it's pretty realistic.

#60 Saralen

Saralen

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 583 posts
  • Location...

Posted 05 November 2015 - 08:02 AM

you're equating spending money with p2w. that's not necessarily the case, especially for classic.

I suppose, but from an outsider's viewpoint the sentence structure seemed to implicate it like that. What would be a better sentence would be "spending money for premium services in a freemium model game with microtransactions that therefore help bolster sales." or something like that.

#61 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 05 November 2015 - 08:03 AM

I don't think I got the gist of the first paragraph. :p_conf: Can you explain it more specifically, or simpler, whichever?

I want that game to make poeple like MMOs again

But in order to do so, they can't be RO - because RO has it's own issues.

Thus people who want a new RO who go to that game will probably be disappointed. Because it is NOT RO.

It's an ok game, but so far I'm not seeing anything special. Just a grindy korean farm fest

#62 Necrohealiac

Necrohealiac

• Members
  • 13389 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 08:03 AM

hopefully outsiders are rational enough to realize that servers and staff for free to play games are not sustained by hopes, dreams, marshmallows and unicorns alone.

#63 Saralen

Saralen

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 583 posts
  • Location...

Posted 05 November 2015 - 08:05 AM

Sad isn't it? That figure comes from lucky box spending, Random VIP, gum, foods, tokens, kcards - it doesn't all come directly from us, we buy from other users also. We have a userbase of ~30 atm

It does not include money spent on the game to fight us. I'd double our impact on the server in reality, but if you just sit down and think about it... it's scary. . I spend ~$45./month on VIP+points packages alone (3 accounts of VIP) and that doesn't include random bull-_- accounts that I suddenly wanna level, boxes, k cards, the like.
I'm also not one of the bigger spenders on the game. Even if we buy all our stuff off other players, someone had to spend it.

So I think it's pretty realistic.

In short, RO is creating a barely breakeven profit for Gravity due to the microtransactions, but…

#64 Kebtung

Kebtung

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members - No Sig
  • 959 posts
  • Playing:Nothing
  • Server:( ͡ᵔ ͜ʖ ͡°)

Posted 05 November 2015 - 08:05 AM

paid-user-vs-free-user-o-2522609.gif

#65 Kadelia

Kadelia

Rainbow Sparkle, Go!

• Members
  • 14312 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA
  • Server:Chaos/Renewal

Posted 05 November 2015 - 08:06 AM

This thread was over once necrohealiac started dropping bombs huhuhuhu

#66 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 05 November 2015 - 08:08 AM

In short, RO is creating a barely breakeven profit for Gravity due to the microtransactions, but…

There is much more reason to spend money on renewal - i was simply demonstrating the income from a single group on the smallest server with the least p2w stuff.

On top of RO they have other games etc as well. So I would like to think they are operating "ok" I won't say fantastic, because they aren't doing fantastic. But "ok"

#67 Saralen

Saralen

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 583 posts
  • Location...

Posted 05 November 2015 - 08:09 AM

I want that game to make poeple like MMOs again
But in order to do so, they can't be RO - because RO has it's own issues.
Thus people who want a new RO who go to that game will probably be disappointed. Because it is NOT RO.

It's an ok game, but so far I'm not seeing anything special. Just a grindy korean farm fest

I'll have to agree with you there. From what's going around, the gardens are certainly more beautiful than a few giant flowers on Mt.Mjolnir, and the soundtrack and concept is on par with RO, but the gameplay and user-interface is difficult to manage. Rather than say it's the spiritual successor, it's just RO2 taking on a new face under a different name. Linear, lonely, and bugged. It's supposed to be beautiful but it needs to improve quickly if it's ever to bring forth results and impact the MMO community.

#68 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 05 November 2015 - 08:11 AM

yea I downloaded the soundtrack, it's pretty good.

#69 Saralen

Saralen

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 583 posts
  • Location...

Posted 05 November 2015 - 08:13 AM

The problem is, you're also right. There barely is an MMO community. F2P games have it the hardest. Games like certain others that come from certain Japanese gaming giants can hold on their own because there are other games to plug the sinkhole. Maybe you can set your sights on that Chinese mobile re-adaptation of RO? Mobile smartphone and tablet games are the trend these days since everyone's on the go. Nobody touched their PC or gaming consoles anymore because of real life financial concerns.

#70 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 05 November 2015 - 08:14 AM

I do wonder if RO needs to push more into moba type content and the mmo world be the side add on.

It would ruin what a lot of the achievers set out to play for tho

#71 Saralen

Saralen

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 583 posts
  • Location...

Posted 05 November 2015 - 08:17 AM

I really can't picture RO as MOBA, and MOBA is starting to decline, if slightly. HotS and D2 are the last scions of that age, true enough.

#72 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 05 November 2015 - 08:28 AM

LoL tho

#73 Necrohealiac

Necrohealiac

• Members
  • 13389 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 08:30 AM

i was under the impression that LoL was the biggest one, although admittedly i don't follow the MOBA scene all that much.

#74 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 05 November 2015 - 08:31 AM

relaunch RO as a social network

it's all we use it for anyway