#1 SlowBob

SlowBob

Raider Representative

• Members
  • 1718 posts
  • Playing:ROSE Online
  • Server:Leonis

Posted 06 November 2015 - 03:14 AM

It would be nice to have and XMPP gateway to the ingame chat / pms / chatrooms.

To anyone who isn't familiair with XMPP:

What is XMPP:

Spoiler

What would be the benefit for players:

Spoiler

#2 Phreshes

Phreshes

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 72 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 06 November 2015 - 03:22 AM

I honestly don't see the benefit of this proposal. We can communicate with each other through the forums, pm, topics, discussions, and if we are online in game we can either whisper of send a (friend) message. If you do would like to chat with one another share your facebook, if you feel truly confident with another give your whatsapp. I don't think one should make a game an XMPP service, there are plenty of other solutions to comply with your need. A little over the top in my honest opinion.

#3 SlowBob

SlowBob

Raider Representative

• Members
  • 1718 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 04:25 AM

Technical benefits:

The idea behind it would be to improve the ingame-chat experience without re-inventing the wheel, plus having and open standard.

Potential future plans of updating the ingame chat could be realized by the use of already existing APIs.

User benefits:

Keeping up conversations with multiple people at the same time would be a way more enjoyable by the use of an external client - the thing is, the others wouldn't have to use one.

A disconnect while vending wouldn't mean that you lost all pms (depending on the implementation).

Clans (or other groups) wouldn't have to rely on 3ed party software since a basic level of quality is already given.

The usage of multiple clients would give less of a headace.

General:

Aboth i listed just a few benefits, how much/little you'd benefit mainly depends on how talkative/integrated into the community you are. You pretty much summed it up in your post, people can currently either whisper eachother or send a (friend) message in game, the forums sadly arn't integrated at all. The fact that people are using facebook/skype/whatsapp to communicate (some clans even require it) actually shows that a proper ingame solution is missing, thus some people are moving to 3ed party solutions, while other's don't want to, which creats a gap within the community.

#4 Genesis

Genesis

ROSE Developer

• Community Managers
  • 2066 posts
  • Server:Arua

Posted 06 November 2015 - 07:44 AM

A few issues to consider:

• Allowing ROSE / WarpPortal credentials to be passed through third party software becomes a security risk for users, as we can't verify or fix potential security issues in a third party client like we can with the game's native infrastructure.
  • Chat rooms, or any form of chat that involves more than 2 users would require the multi-user chat extension, which has not been accepted into XMPP's core spec yet (and based on how long it's been sitting in draft form, could be like that for a while).
  • There may be conflicts when logging in to the game client while logged in through a third party client, and vice versa.
  • Spammers will have a wider attack vector due to the open nature of the protocol (e.g. they would be able to retrieve a list of online users to spam and broadcast messages in mass).
  • From the game management side, chat becomes much more complex to handle (banning accounts, enforcing spam/language filter rules, etc).

#5 Feuer

Feuer

They pay me to post

• Members
  • 10958 posts
  • Twitter:@LovatianOwl
  • LocationCaves of Owlverick
  • Server:Le' Forumz

Posted 06 November 2015 - 07:47 AM

Why not just update the current chat rooms we have? And allow /topic/ extension linking and item linking while you're at it. Those chat rooms used to be a nice feature, now they're all but forgotten due to the massive roster sizes in clans etc. Even GA Groups have more user listing than the current chat room feature in game. 

#6 Cortiz

Cortiz

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1021 posts
  • LocationJunon
  • Server:Aura

Posted 06 November 2015 - 08:18 AM

I'm not familiar with XMPP but like stated I don't see the reason for this as there are many ways to communicate with one another.

And as feuer said; why not update the current char rooms to support more features.

Edited by Cortiz, 06 November 2015 - 08:19 AM.

#7 SlowBob

SlowBob

Raider Representative

• Members
  • 1718 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 04:57 AM

I see, thanks for the feedback

#8 iMatt

iMatt

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1539 posts
  • LocationMunich, Bavaria

Posted 07 November 2015 - 06:07 AM

Yoda says: To lazy for logging in, the young Padawan is!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users