Botting Time For A Serious Discussion - ROSE Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Botting Time For A Serious Discussion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
59 replies to this topic

#1 Hellowarz

Hellowarz

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 78 posts
  • Playing:ROSE Online

Posted 24 November 2015 - 10:05 PM

I love how so many are willing to immediately jump on the crucifixion band wagon about botting when that is literally wasting not only players time in reporting but crucially GM time when instead this time needs to be allocated to actions that actually solve the problem.

What is the problem?

I believe we can all agree it is botting.

Solution?

Banning/Enforcement ?  Nope, hasn't been for any game I have ever played and it won't be here.

It does not matter if it makes a difference or not if the underlying reason why people are botting is not solved, no amount of banning will ever solve this issue. People can make free accounts and come back. Air strikes are the worst idea I have ever seen, honestly the worst. Going out of their way to appease the band-wagon while explicitly taking away time and resources that could actually make a difference and if this game goes down that path it will continue to decline to extinction. 

(Oh you are just a bot sympathizer that should be silenced!!! )

{Ok fine whatever, comments like these will be ignored by me and should be by everyone. I am a player that has been around longer than 99% of the community here and have left and come back more times than can be counted. I love the idea of the game and I just truly want to see it thrive and have noticed with my extensive experience literally in the botting and top of the gaming world time that the current path is the path of destruction. It has been for every game I have seen take this path and I am tired of watching a great game spend years destroying itself despite the uniquely awesome community and player base. Let alone the amount of potential that is here for the players and the board room to be satisfied.}

I am just a player that has played this game before English speakers even knew about it at all.

I am just a player that has been at the top in the world of multiple MMO's and if we think this problem is only confined to this game that notion is literally laughable.

Most of the extreme top end players in competitive games use whatever methods best help them achieve that goal and when games allow something like botting to be one of those methods, it is used by them.

I have never botted or supported it in any way. I honestly don't even like the Multi-Client idea that is the normal on ROSE now. I leave games where these methods of the top are used, that being all of them except this game because it really does have a potential that it is just not realized here yet and I keep coming back hoping for salvation to come.

Lets start to talk about how this game mirrors others and what other games did that actually made a difference and ideas that other games have implemented that did not work.

We are literally going down the road right now of all the games that died. They did not die because of botting.

That last point is so important it needs to be said again.

THEY DID NOT DIE BECAUSE OF BOTTING.

Botting is a symptom not a cause.

To truly deal with botting, games that have succeed only do it in one way. I am talking from 20+ MMO experience and top in the world on a handful.

A. Stop wasting resources and precious man hours on useless methods.

B. Find out why botting is used and make it so that it is not in someone's best interest to bot any longer.

What I mean by making it not in their best interest to bot is key here.

That does not mean nerf area's/game mechanics.

It is crucial to make it so that even if someone is botting they are actually wasting time and their resources to do it.

At this point it no longer matters if anyone is botting because it is simply foolish for them to do so.

Everything inevitably comes down to instead of hurting what is there already, go out of the way to enhance moving forward.

For a quick example: Why is there not a way to instead of mindlessly wasting hours and hours crafting to instead allow for a mega craft condensing that time down considerably so that someone does not need to just sit and craft for an entire day? Instead of having to craft over and over could you not instead just be allowed to craft a stack-able amount all at once?

Fight me on the intricacies of that particular one all you want but what remains true is all of the sudden instead of needing a macro there is quite literally no point to one, because you don't mindlessly and repetitively press one button over and over for no reason other than the goal of wasting time.

I know this game is literally a grind-fest, I get it so some aspects of the leveling can't be helped and would take to much time/coding to enact given the man hours present on the staff.

Questing is one of those things that seems like it could certainly use a complete overhaul but in the billion years this game has been around it is not something any of the staff of any of the multiple different servers of this game ever do. It perhaps takes to many man hours and or requires to much coding time or even it becomes to hard to balance in a fairly easy fashion.

I totally get that but one of the few options put forth here is the only way games that went on to thrive instead of die enacted.

Time to move on to a few more options that can help.

Questing overhaul is one idea. Another is making it so that AOE is not the end all be all of everything in this game. We can all agree that aoe is fun in all and that classes that in years past that did not have aoe have been pushed towards it. Cough Dealer Cough.

However that being said why is there not mobs with higher health amounts or higher defense amounts that aren't only just kings? Something that could actually say be farmed for actual leveling experience. Or even mobs that require some strategy to take them down instead of the usual just hit it with everything you have rolling your face across the keyboard until it is dead? How about a mob where for a period hitting it gives it health and if a player does not hit it during that time they get double damage for a period of time after successfully following the strategy on that?

Making mobs that require strategy also diminishes the chances of a bot being successful against it. If a player must know when to say use a stun or defense down strategically and not always at a pre-defined time or not at all then bots are less likely to be used.

I know another idea that has been around is making spawns not be always at the same spot and while the initial reaction in the mind seems good for this it is a band-aid instead of a real solution and from what I have seen on posts about a possible area where they have done this no one levels there now.

How about exp boosts for regions that see no players using them for leveling? Constantly rotating over periods of time encouraging players to move to regions where the fewest players had been? Same could be done with specific mobs.

I know some of these perhaps are too demanding on the coding or balancing aspects and that is fine I don't think any specific solution on this must be implemented. The real key is shifting our focus to the right areas of discussion which this game has not done seriously for a very long time. 

The amount of man hours put into item mall ideas shows that very cool things can be done however if those man hours are never used for anything but that the game won't keep players long enough to even encourage them to buy something which in turn means no money to run the server at some point. I get putting more time into the things that earn money but if no player is willing to play past or even to a second job for a class they certainly are not willing to buy to keep the server going. At some point player retention is a serious discussion not only for the community but for the pocketbook. You can't keep players with item mall ideas, the vast majority of players won't make an item mall purchase until they enjoy the game enough to stay.

Despite having played the game since the very beginning I have never bought anything from the item mall and never will because the actual game isn't good enough to justify it in its current state.

(Although I had played for a while when it was P2P)

After everything said here this is the one game I have never even been anywhere close to being the top. I always quit before that point because quite simply there are games that even the Korean and Chinese masochist gamers prefer over this one. I always keep coming back and enjoy the game again on a new account until I get tired of the brutal beating this game gives to the passion and drive for what otherwise is a really superb idea of a game. Move on to another that actually takes making players happy then after I exhausted that game in the interim I come back.

I want this game to be my main game but at every turn it goes out of its way to make sure it can only be a fun after thought in between serious games. It honestly makes me cry every time I see all this potential wasted.

So unlike many here, I can't say how the game should develop. Despite that this is a plea for real change because what this community is obsessed with for so many years is the wrong path and has been done by all other games that fail. I am merely hoping to change that direction so that perhaps in the future this game could transform into the potential it has.

I mean let us put on our honesty cap. Accounts are free so explain to me how botting is going to be dealt with in a game where new accounts can be made at will? Someone can have a clean account than use bot accounts to enhance the one that does not bot. There are so many ways around bot enforcement it is crazy and acting like there is ever a serious argument that could actually stop botting is a fallacy.

Have you seen how advanced bots can be? World of Warcraft is a perfect example of that, the bots used in that game are so advanced that any bot that has ever been used in ROSE literally looks like childs play to what serious bot programs can do not only to evade detection but the sophistication of actions that these bots can do. Bots in WoW can be setup to reply almost human like to responses, specifically do non-repetitive actions, run routes also in non-repetitive manners. There is honestly no serious way to do enforcement, only make it so that botting actions are irrelevant, and also multi-client functions become less and less successful as well. 

I welcome all veterans to instead of talking about enforcement of bots talk more about ideas on how to enhance the game so that botting is irrelevant. The whole point of this thread is to take the focus from time and energy that in any game that does this is not only wasted but takes away from resources that could actually be spent on the solution not just a symptom of it. 

P.S.  Botters are not the reason why anyone can't get a party, that is utterly false and we all know it. People can't get parties because of the lack of players at all, and the lack of incentive for actual party members in the game. You don't need a talented real human, you need a mindless drone that is willing to just sit there doing repetitive actions while you have what little time in your day to play the game. No one wants to waste time to get a real human that can leave or isn't there to party when you have the time to play. Bots aren't the reason parties with real people do not happen. Get rid of the bots and either more will replace them or there will just be empty fields where the bots use to be and still no one to party with.

#2 Feuer

Feuer

They pay me to post

• Members
  • 10958 posts
  • Twitter:@LovatianOwl
  • LocationCaves of Owlverick
  • Server:Le' Forumz

Posted 24 November 2015 - 10:09 PM

I don't really think such a big post was necessary.

The problem is actually quite simple.

Adjust mob spawn amounts + rewarded exp [less mobs, more exp = harder to bot]

Lucrative questing for leveling purposes [ei repeatables]

Bigger monster range zones [instead of being yellow for 4 levels, mobs should be good for 10. This enables choice of new spots and a change of scenery, [prevents boredom...] 

The days of grinding are gone, no successful MMO has a system in place where the 'novice' should take months to cap out. First time I played most MMO's I got to atleast 50% cap within 2-3 days. Normally end game by about 1 month casually. ROSE just needs to move past that. 

#3 Hellowarz

Hellowarz

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 10:21 PM

Perhaps such a big post is not necessary, but the point needs to be overly stressed.

The key is strategy.

Randomization of mob actions that require a reaction to effectively deal with them.

Bots hinge on the goal of doing pre-defined actions.

Rewarding strategy is key.

#4 Hellowarz

Hellowarz

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 10:25 PM

For a game with so many skills why are so many the exact same? More damage.

Why can't a bunch be hey you use this and 1-5 seconds later there is a 1 second window where the next attack does something special?

Randomization of rewarding actions and likewise randomization of debuff times are key to really killing bots.

#5 Feuer

Feuer

They pay me to post

• Members
  • 10958 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 03:59 AM

There are, there's melee hit procs, skill use procs, burst CD's and such. 

The key is not having the mobs condensed so much in such a small spot. Bots also rely on not moving* because if the game content forced you to move your character on the map, the programming for them would expand extensively. I would know, because I once tried to make a scripted auto hotkey macro for WoW, and after 2k lines of code, it still have many, many issues. 

#6 pdfisher

pdfisher

Champion Representative

• Members
  • 5246 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania, in the heart of PA dutch country
  • Server:Leonis

Posted 25 November 2015 - 07:14 AM

I like the idea of strategy against mobs very much. If they could improve the mobs UI, that would be great. Combine that with better quest rewards, and more quests, sparser mob spawns, and perhaps longer spawn times, and botting could very well be made useless.

#7 Tleliaxu

Tleliaxu

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 116 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 28 November 2015 - 09:39 PM

lol, Happy Hour bonus exp & drops on diff maps! I forgot all about that. It's weird how I've seen strat advocated before and it somehow never happens. Why is that?

EDIT: People do strat in dg (HOO mainly), so it's not entirely absent.

Edited by Tleliaxu, 28 November 2015 - 09:40 PM.

#8 IAfjiBa

IAfjiBa

Cleric Representative/Community Member of the Month for June

• Members
  • 1451 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 12:51 AM

To all the botters/micro user out there :P

uy3r5.jpg

Edited by Buffiies, 30 November 2015 - 12:52 AM.

#9 Jean1659

Jean1659

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 96 posts
  • LocationUniversal perception.

Posted 30 November 2015 - 02:15 AM

To all the botters/micro user out there :P

uy3r5.jpg

People want to just PVP, but are forced to PVM, thus people bot. 

#10 Feuer

Feuer

They pay me to post

• Members
  • 10958 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 03:24 AM

Actually, they're not, Between DoD, Sikuku Ruins, Gates of Muris open world PvP, and the 5 tiers of 3 GA PvP modes, it's entirely possible to PvP early game. So, there's a different problem thats not the PvM inter-linkage. 

#11 CottonCandies

CottonCandies

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 604 posts
  • LocationKuraigana Island
  • Server:Arua/Pegasus

Posted 30 November 2015 - 04:13 PM

^ I don't agree on this, some of the players in-game are not forced to do PvM, they really love to do PvM (like spam dungeons, hunting kings for gem/medals/epic, etc) and some of the players are neither pvp or pvm, they just play ROSE to dress their characters with elegant costumes LMAO.

Actually, they're not, Between DoD, Sikuku Ruins, Gates of Muris open world PvP, and the 5 tiers of 3 GA PvP modes, it's entirely possible to PvP early game. So, there's a different problem thats not the PvM inter-linkage. 

^ true :)

Long ago, the usage of bots were not that huge compared today, the purpose was mainly for crafting materials, players before enjoyed leveling, new comers were innocent in botling, but now look, even they did a server merge why most of the maps are still seem to be a ghost town? some of the new comers too are eager to know how to do multiclient and do bottling, they are encourage by some of the old players, that is the sad part.

Here's a sample short scenario:

New Player

1.) do level and soon meets an old player (which is too greedy to reach 230 for his/her another character).

2.) old player teaches new player to do multiclient and bottling.

3.) new player is now proficient in bottling and multiclient, can level alone, do afk, close the monitor and sleep.

4.) new player reached max level and ready to top up item mall for his/her character for pvp/war/dungeon/fashion show purposes.

5.) after months, that new player will quit, think the game is already boring

6.) well played, GG, sad T.T

The target market of this game have changed already.

#12 TontonAlarcon

TontonAlarcon

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 435 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 02:17 AM

2.) old player teaches new player to do multiclient and bottling.

#2 you can usually see people chatting in public about how they use bot to level their 4 characters simultaneously and is urging newbies to use bots too. and the same players wonder why there is only so little people to play with. smh

#13 Selmaaa

Selmaaa

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 02:38 AM

I m pretty new to Rose, i have been playing it 10 years ago but everything has changed, and i m shoked over this botting situation. When i started to lvl my cleric at first, in partys people told me just put it on auto just put it on auto first i thought it was part of game now, but then when they started explaining what auto meant i realised wow its botting but is it really legal since EVERYONE i meet was doing it? and every party i was in people were like Yea just put it on auto, so i came to forums to see what is going on, becose botting 10 years ago was a SERIOUS situation and i saw that it was illigal so i never bothered to get that auto everyone was telling me to do. But i gotta say it is annoying to be in a party full of afk people its so boring u dont get to learn to know people in game. And pressure to Have to use bot from community was really annoying.... I  m not even sure if those people know what putting on auto meant and that it was illigal becose they talk so open in All chat about it.

Back in the days u could dual client and lvl fast without botting, by lvln at King spawns, i remember Elder Mammoths giving really great exp and was soloable, i was soloing Behemoth king spots for lvln and farming at same time, Lvln before was more of farming ur self way up to diffirent places, Krawfy King at lower lvls was simply hunting uniques then moving to Worm dragons for Dragon wings and scales i mean Lvln was something u looked forward to becose of those Drops u could achive and Soloing kings was GREAT EXP!

Now Rose is designed for botting its so stupidly sad there is litterly 5 spots in game to lvl up on, thats krawfys untill lvl 70 then go gorge GMG spot untill 100 then Luna WInter Mauls up to 130 then Temple up to 170 and then Ruins up to lvl 20x then do dungeons... ALL those spots are  Fast respawning crowded with mobs spots. and i get it why people also rush to lvl, becose it became boring. U cant solo king now even if u had full support cleric healing u constantly its to hard to time consuming!! There is no point in hunting uniques since they drop like rain. There is really nothing to look forward to in lvln a char except for doing it fast up to 200 to do dungeons! I really loved old Rose. i m so dissapointed in this new system  its really sad. Luna was most fun place to lvl at and now its a ghost town where people afk at mauls for lvln just to get it over with!! and i totally understand them..

Bring back the old system of lvln, lower down op'ness of kings make it soloable again.

#14 Cortiz

Cortiz

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1021 posts
  • LocationJunon
  • Server:Aura

Posted 01 December 2015 - 02:45 AM

I Agree there are options for early PVP but I disagree it's actualy available there are 0 people in the pvp Q's for the lower levels.

Since the PvP GA still require 10-15 Vs 10-15 its nearly immpossible to start these games with the amount of players we have at our disposal.

I could see this get fixed with a much smaller map and starting with a 2vs2 or 3vs3.

#15 Feuer

Feuer

They pay me to post

• Members
  • 10958 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 09:33 AM

Draconis Peaks can start with 3v3. Just sayin, you're only looking at the largest team size mode available.

So, you disagree because the lack of availability, so why are the games not running at lower levels? Take into account we have a 3v3 mode. 

#16 tmaxx3

tmaxx3

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 45 posts
  • LocationMy Desk
  • Server:Deadconis

Posted 01 December 2015 - 02:15 PM

Draconis Peaks has been pretty active lately.

just the other day i joined a game 3v3 and was asked to leave " they are farming honor".....

#17 Jean1659

Jean1659

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 96 posts
  • LocationUniversal perception.

Posted 02 December 2015 - 04:52 AM

DoD seems pretty useless to do anything in, at that level range, the PVP is pretty useless in that map, because of high level chars, it is almost even a deterrent to even level on that map. Just as Ruins is kind of a deterrent, unless you have a few high level chars there to help. 

New players to the game, really are entirely forced to do PvM before they are able to do PVP, one cannot make a high level char with max gear, without doing PvM. 

@tmaxx3 , screenshot and report. 

Edited by Jean1659, 02 December 2015 - 04:52 AM.

#18 siryu

siryu

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 568 posts
  • Server:Arua

Posted 05 December 2015 - 03:49 AM

i would love if they disable multi client ,,, 

back to the old ROSE ONLINE , where you can only open 1 ROSE client on full screen ..

this will fix botting problem ,, also will create better community , since people will start getting to know each other when then leveling , party for quest , etc ..

#19 DestinyDeoxys

DestinyDeoxys

Cleric Representative

• Members
  • 1588 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 09:52 AM

Unless you post a roster on a weekly basis that specifically showing which character name and level as well as its whole account is permanently banned, otherwise no one is going to believe you or be afraid of it and keep botting because you can never have solid evident beyond a reasonable doubt for a conviction. One could argue he/she is just spamming the F keys without moving around and it will blatantly look like he/she is botting but it's actually not.

Back in the old times when GameGuard served as some sort of anti-cheating guard, it can detect 3rd party program, any noob bot will be detected but it is easily by-passed if the coder put some little effort into it. But what you are doing right now is only a verbal Terms of Service changes and warning, there is no indication that you are implementing any kind of anti-cheat/3rd party program to counter botters.

Even if you do ban people on a weekly basis, people will just put away all their expensive items on a separate account. Bot level all characters on their account to 230, wait for 2 weeks to see if you are safe from bot perm ban conviction, then they know they will get away with it.

Get banned? Easy. Make new account and re-do it because this game is free to play.

Well then, let's perm ban all the accounts with the associated IP accounts? But then, people will say oh that's my sister, so I'm not related and you shouldn't ban me.

And I honestly doubt you wanna do a IP perm ban either, your goal is to stop the bot fest tradition instead of driving everyone out of the game (Unless that's the 10th year anniversary goal?)

Hackers/Cheaters have always been a problem among all kinds of video games, you can only minimize them but never could annihilate them. There are sure many ways to minimize and counter them but it's always the problem of the cost of doing that. So, I don't know how this will turn out. Things like ...

1) Weekly hall of shame, speaks for itself, a roster that list the character name and level as well as its indictment

2) 3rd party software detective program

3) Community voluntary based patrol police, I'm sure those who hate people botting would love to do this

4) Pay to play (a completely free to play game can attract a lot of players but also means it open ways for hackers/cheaters to blatantly cheating at the same time

5) Limit single client per computer, I never really understand the point of allowing multi client, it just speeds up the rate at which players consume the content update, didn't you always complain about how player rate of content consumption surpass the rate of developer's content update?

I remember someone said disabling multi-client will just make the game empty, but that is just really really lame excuse. It's no different from dying your grey hair over and over to hide your age.

6) Change some fundamental game mechanics, make certain skills into a different category such that you need to rack up some sort of stamina gauge by meleeing or doing certain task before you can execute some AOE, didn't we have those proc thing already long ago? Could that proc thing be used as a pre-requisite of using certain powerful AOE skills?

7) Remove the idea of mobs in leveling area but leave them in dungeons, I just can't believe this game reached its 10th year anniversary, and the whole leveling metas is still all about whoever can kill the most quantity instead of quality. Those single targeted class like katar raiders, bow scouts, gun artisans still suffer from leveling party discrimination I guess?

Increase the exp given from scatter isolated high rank monsters by 5 fold and decrease the exp given from concentrated low rank mobs by half, so there is a reward for playing against high rank monsters. Didn't the community always say certain maps of this game are so underplayed and the developer always want more reason for people to buy premium subscription?

I rememeber how good it felt when the exp comes in when I use spear champ in dungeons but such goodies should only be given to premium subscribers. AOE class should only have the privilege to kill en mass but not the privilege to power level.

8) Make all leveling maps in ROSE dungeon based, in other words you need to proceed forward or move around to find monster to kill instead of camping at the same spot and wait for them to respawn. One of the reason why leveling in ROSE is boring is because you stand in the same spot for whole freaking day. Or if you are worried some mobs that hided in walls bugged out, then you could just simply increase all monster respawn timer to 1 minute. I'm sure people will be discouraged to bot because it is much better to play the game actively instead of camping.

2) 4) 5) are probably not a good solution due to cost and the draw back

but 1) 3) 6) 7) 8) are no cost solution or requires slight game adjustment

#20 DestinyDeoxys

DestinyDeoxys

Cleric Representative

• Members
  • 1588 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 09:54 AM

^ This post is dedictaed to the "Updated Policy Regarding botting", but DragonLark locked it when I finish typing, so I'll leave it here instead.

#21 Filipito98

Filipito98

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 996 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in another world
  • Server:Arua

Posted 05 December 2015 - 09:57 AM

pvt server with high rates, there u can pvp without problems (also with equipment selling as 0 zulie/honor) and all gems and bla bla bla

#22 Feuer

Feuer

They pay me to post

• Members
  • 10958 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 10:28 AM

GreylaVu,

as a representative, you should not be advocating people to PM you so they can avoid botting around users who are taking it upon themselves to encourage proper game play and respect for the rules. If that is your goal, then you should be stripped of your position as a representative and warned to discontinue those actions. You are appointed as a representative not only to represent class feedback from the community, but also as a role model for the community, and no public figure or role model should be promoting the subversion of rules. 

#23 IamHiz

IamHiz

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 78 posts
  • LocationNot this world.

Posted 05 December 2015 - 11:31 AM

Any summary?

#24 Feuer

Feuer

They pay me to post

• Members
  • 10958 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 11:51 AM

Read it, show some initiative. 

#25 Hellowarz

Hellowarz

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 01:28 AM

"80% of level 230 players in this game botted their way there"

Let's add some more detail to this.

Wheres your data to support this oddly even and specific '80%' figure? 

The claim that a large volume [majority or not] of players in the game botted at some point or another, is most likely true, but only if you're counting players who joined the game approximately July 2009. Oddly specific but it's due to the fact that in July 2008, ROSE Evo went Free2Play. It took about a year for the botting + multiclient to catch on in a serious fashion. So for the first 4.5 years of ROSES life [almost 1/2 of the time since it's inception] Botting didn't really exist in any meaningful fashion. 

So if you want to say
"I'd assume that 80% or so of players that are level 230 and have joined ROSE since 2009 or later, have botted t one point or another" Then I would agree. But a large volume of players also Don't~ bot.

Strange because you also provide no stats. I'm sure the 80% is wrong but we can all agree that a substantial number are max simply because of it. A large volume of players also don't bot? How do you know this? There is a vast majority that don't interact with the community. I know for a fact that botting was big at the top players of the game since the beginning because I knew these players, back when no one could even get 1m zulie to start a clan a botter not even a hacker just walked up to me and gave me 300m because he liked me.

"Spamming AoE isn't fun"

You're right, it's not fun. That's why a party of active players don't do that. They roam, party quest, hunt bosses and bounce between spawns to optimize their exp gain.

Optimizing gameplay is clearly staying in one spot and aoe killing for the majority of the time, which is why even when you join active parties this is what they do. No active party roams beyond luring and finding a new spot to sit at.

"There are pretty much no partys going on these days without botters as it is"

Which is related to 2 factors.

1: A lack of enforcement of the rules

2: A lack of questing and party functions at certain level ranges.

They're solving fact 1 right now.

Fact 2 comes into play, that once their no choice but to actively play the game, more and more people will get involved in proposing quest ideas and content for the zones that lack content.

There is after-all a quest proposals section, and several quests have been implemented from those suggestions. This more strict enforcement of the rules will encourage more participation in that area, as with the current botting play-sttyle, there was a lack of interest in it because they just avoided the issue all together. Now, it can be properly addressed.

Everyone here that is so ra ra ra about enforcement doesn't understand that 1. It doesn't work. 2. Point 2 is the only way to start since incentive switches from botting being the most optimized to actually playing being the most optimized way to play the game. Botting can't be, has never been and will not be solved by enforcement first and actually making the game so that botting is not the best choice latter. It hasn't been for any game I have ever played. I have top in the world experience on multiple games that competition was infinitely more grueling than here. I have never seen a botting situation solved by enforcement. I have seen it solved multiple times by changing the game incentive.

"Take the botters away and there will be no partys what so ever."

For the first 4.5 years there was hardly any botting, and many many people still got high level or level cap and enjoyed the game. History of ROSE has already told us that this is a lie. The only people who will give up are the people who want an 'easy button' for gaming. Once this enforcement catches on, people who enjoy active play will invite more players, and the game could potentially grow in population over it. So, it's a change out of the demographics of who plays ROSE. Less laziness, more dedication from players. This might also result in more player referrals to the game.  

Where are you stats for this claim? I know for a fact that the top players all were botting. I was given the best items and absurd amounts of zulie that no other real player had from botters which is exactly why I have gone off and on with this game since the start. Let alone the dupping and hacking that happened in the early game and up through gameguard which is a joke btw for any serious dupper and hack to get around.

"Like it or not botters are what keeps ROSE going"

No, botters are what keeps ROSE going in the direction it's currently headed. And with the massive amount of 'the game is boring' complaints, a change of direction and methodology is what we need. 

To be honest you are both correct and incorrect here. Botting is artificially keeping players around despite the lack of actual gameplay to be had. The actual player base would significantly decrease without it and new actual players don't stay because the only real options are botting and Item Mall which the development team is quite happy to work on as opposed to the actual game that keeps players around.

"You say a big community doesn't matter"

No one single person has ever said that, and the staff doesn't advocate that thought process either. In fact, botting doesn't have ANY effect on the number of players in the game, it only affects the number of characters* in the game. There's a big difference between number of players, and number of characters. A difference that get's lost in a gray area quite often. The number of people in a community, is not linked to the number of characters created. We know this by simply looking at the free premium events. Character creation sky rockets, but WP account registration hardly moves unless someone hit their maximum ROSE registered account limit.

Technically it does effect the number of players, people actually stay in the game because of the enjoyment from botting. Now this can be contested I know but what is true is since the actual game offers so little botting offers essentially another feature for a lot of players that would not otherwise stick around. You can mince words and make yourself believe what ever you want but while amount of characters does not correlate to player base what remains true is more staying because of enjoyment from botting. If they didn't enjoy it they wouldn't do it let's be serious.

"I don't want to read another answer provided with the same thing over and over, that isn't even backed by any reasons or examples."

Where is your factual backed information at? I mean, I argued based on past historical events of ROSE, and the direct results following those. Facts that can be checked on the Wiki and game review sites. As well as meta and dynamic changes that occurred from game mechanic changes. You're just arguing pro-botting by using threats of player loss, when the data supports that bot-banning will people of one mind-set and replace them with players of a new mind-set. It evens itself out and ends up creating a new more engaging environment. 

So why don't you let that sink in for a moment, cause I'm tired of reading doom-sayer posts when the real fact is bots have only been around actively for 1/2 of ROSES lifetime, and it did BETTER numbers and activity without them [also proven by fact checking the Wiki and Business numbers]. 

I'm sorry but you are no different and are being hypocritical here. Yes there have been a lot that offered no reasoning and just non sequitors. There are also some that have offered real reasoning. Both sides have lack of facts in a lot of areas but reasoning can make up for a big divide in that area. Stating some past history did not actually provide facts, just opinion. Just like I have done the same for the opposite. The only difference is those that have advocated for enforcement have not gotten past the non sequitor arguments and fall back on feelings. While that is fine, it is not a good argument. There has been botting since the start of this game simply because of the nature of it. The game is a grind, which lends itself to botting since that is what players essentially do in the game but they are the bot. 

For being a grind game there are multiple ways to keep that inherent nature while diminishing the incentive for botting. While we have stuns/mute/sleep, it would be best if mobs had random time elements that if dealt with ( like a human ) the player receives an advantage while in combat and the opposite if not. Random elements in combat are the key because it requires more sophisticated botting methods to get around. There have also been very good points for other things like questing that make it less useful to bot or require more effort to do it than to not.

Why do so many of our skills literally do the same thing just better? Everyone should have multiple skills that do much more than just dmg or stun/mute/sleep ( those three things are the exact same thing give or take )

For example skill x is used. For 2 seconds in a 10 second time window after that if a player uses skill y it has triple the damage but only in that 2 second window. If the player fails to use it in that window skill y does half the damage it normally should. There are all sorts of ways like that which could be implemented if time was taken from the item mall to make grinding monsters more engaging and harder for people to bot. I don't have the solutions, however I know that almost any solution people have given is better than enforcement.

Enforcement is literally putting players against other players and using vast human resources for both players and gms when that time could be spent on an actual solution. Every minute wasted on enforcement is a minute taken away from making this game actually bot free.

The air raids got 50 bots in November, what a joke I can go out and find 100 afk botters in a single day. Is it worth my time? No. Do I report botters? No. I don't want to waste anymore of the gm time and honestly I don't want to lose a lot of players that would be happy not to bot if only the other options were viable. People are good, we are acting like botters are the devil when they would happily not bot if the incentive was not to bot. The game is literally setup right now so that you are a human bot, so why wouldn't people explore a machine botting for them? Technically that is the smart answer. Not the one we all want, but doing the smart thing isn't always what is quote in quote the right thing to do.

We can all agree that we don't want botting. This is just clearly the wrong way to go. Enforcement especially in a free to play game is a joke. A sick twisted joke that takes away from any real solution. Lets find a real solution please.

i always waited for this moment, that we could get rid of botters, and i will say one thing, I DO had already botted, idc if im saying i already botted or w/e, but one thing i will say, i will NEVER do it again, 24/7 in a spot auto aoe, wth is that? is like im in hell, srsly so boring to be there and bla bla bla, wen i stopped botting, i started reporting most of bots, wana know how frustated i was?

Yes it is boring! Because we play as human bots right now!

Oh yes the knight in shining armor, he changed his ways and is now on the path of good! Lets see how this post ends....

my reports was 0

this might be a f2p game, but it is need to use bot? is like u using hacks in the game, also since you, and the other guy that is frustated about this, is like u guys dont care about u acc, lvl up with botters is like u guys are botters too

Right says the guy that just literally talked about actually botting as opposed to leveling with them. I didn't have to say I did, but I did because it was valid and important for the reasoning of my argument. I do care about my account, I hardly think leveling with them means I should be banned. For all you know I could have been oblivious to the fact that they were botters, they were talking to me and not afk just by the way.

one thing i will say, u can start botting, but wen u make a new char and want to lvl up, u wont be motivated to do it again, because is boring af, and the only thing u will do is, afk in the city doing nothing

Funny how you don't see that you just made my point for me. Botting doesn't make the game boring, it increases the amount of fun for a vast sum of players right now. Otherwise people wouldn't be really botting now would they? Maybe you wouldn't have been motivated to get through your first character because very quickly you begin to realize how you are literally a human bot and you decide that being masochistic really isn't your thing. You don't do nothing because you botted you do nothing because you are bored. Botting has nothing to do with you being bored, the game does.

i just use bot for open boxes (since the bot i have is for hotkeys) but due that hell program, i'm not even motivated for lvl up anymore in rose with it .....

ANY mmorpg is supose to be fun, ppl exploring, etc, not afk in one place, get max lvl, pvp only and done, but u guys never learn that.

I have learned that, which is why it sucks that complete zones wether you bot or not are such a disadvantage that players never go there. You literally stated my point again, it isn't fun exploring for very long in this game. The whole point is human botting and since that is the point exploring isn't fun or enjoyable. If this game had those things to offer people would be doing them, they aren't for a reason and i'm sick and tired of everyone being the emu that sticks their head in the sand saying everyone else should find what is fun with it when people do what they do for a reason. People enjoy having fun, they tend to do the most fun thing. Which is what we currently see, which doesn't speak well for this game as of right now sadly.

Despite that I was with botting parties at areas that are never frequented by bots. (Not a single spot mentioned in the air raid) I found a cool spot and enjoyed being alone with this botting group not seeing anyone else while we happily talked and leveled up.

now if u want to know how botters is annoying, go to Lineage 2 (original server) and try to lvl up u char, in that time u will see many orcs mages, guess what, wen u target a monster, the bot is already killing it, it is that fun? low spots taked by bots?

yeah that's one of the other disadvantages of botting, what's the fun taking a spot for farm materials wile the bot is runing not allowing newbies play normaly

We are in complete agreement here, that isn't fun. Let's find a way to make it so that botting is not incentivised and so people no longer feel the need to do it anymore.

the problem is, if there wasn't no bots, players would be already exploring the map and having fun with friends

you don't know how beautifull is Luna planet, you guys just skip it like Luna is nothing

Funny everyone always goes after bots are the reason why fun can't be had. Technically a bot has nothing to do with you going out and exploring. It doesn't stop you from grouping with friends. It doesn't stop you from enjoying some of the really wonderful spots on luna. Why does everyone regardless of if they are a bot or not sit at the luna bears in Mana Snowfields ? Because exploring doesn't return fun on the investment of the exploration. People play the game like it was designed. Bot your lvls up wether you are a human bot or a machine.

P.S. Mount Eur....  at the saber tooths is a really fun spot with a group and they give good amounts of exp. No one is ever there because they do the quests in Mana Snowfields because those are so good they can't be passed up.

soo yeah before u 2 be like that "oh no how i will lvl up nw ...." maybe try to lvl up one char per turn (get strategy wich one should be important nw), take u dam time, and just have fun, is not like this u guys will have fun.

keeping like this (lvling up with botters) u guys will lose the motivation faster then getting lvl max and gear up

just saying

and again, i do botted, but it was a hell experience that i wont repeat again

if u dont believe me, ask angel, or pam, trang, katsura, maybe anyone that ik if i do bot again, is been months i dont play rose due boredoom and this program, i just installed again my rose for do a project in mind, and maybe in holidays i might will lvl up my Dual pvp char, might will be hard but there's ways

I'm sorry at this point your amount of ad hominem and blatant lack of any reasonable argument is just becoming tiresome to answer. Botting doesn't stop you from having fun, technically you can choose to not bot and on top of that be in areas that people don't bot. I did and had a fun time by the way. You don't because you keep showing over and over how you are a human bot in this game which is the real reason you are bored and are not having fun. Bots don't take your fun, the game does. You lose motivation because of the games, bots don't take your motivation. If you did what you preached then bots don't effect you. You won't find parties because that route leads you to where people don't go because everyone is a human bot and both the human bots and real bots pick the best areas to be a bot.

Now ways for lvl up

from 1 to 100~120, do quests

once u can get into dungeons, get a group and do toons of dungeons to 200, after 200 is more easy to lvl up

u guys are luck due Devs allowed exp in DGs, before only premium could get exp, but now everyone can get, soo use it wiselly, because the exp u get from DGs is more then the exp u get from OT and ruins

~FilipeKun

Thanks for the informative part on the end! To be honest 120-200 can't be done by dungeons first of all your human bot buddies won't do it with you. I know I tried with multiple groups and they all pushed to go be human bots at a spot instead of pushing through a dungeon. Dungeon groups are non-existant 120-200 I have sat for 24 hours in queue the other day. Dungeons are not good exp because they are too hard at this level for human bots that haven't invested in gear and a stun for the bosses/mobs and so in most cases they literally can't even be done by groups. I tried super hard to make a dungeon happen, could never finish one yet, hopefully I can enjoy them when i'm 200. They clearly aren't more xp than OT and ruins because I couldn't level at all in dungeons and I did 150-160 in OT in one night and 10+ levels again another night in ruins without much trouble at all no sigil and no stupid IM items by the way. Lets be serious if the time that was put into IM was put into the game it would be doing very well right now.

stop complaining ,, if you dont like it , then just find another game where you allowed to bot ...

stop being lazy , its not good for your future ( real life )

Let me make this point seriously because I won't ever answer it again and everyone that has made this point is using blatant ad hominem instead of actual argument. I don't bot. I don't want botters. That is the whole point. How do we actually move the game away from botting. Enforcement is so clearly the wrong answer it stuns me how so many fall for this trap.

Oh yep, lets go ahead and perma ban the 80% of the community who bots to level 230, Nobody finds it fun to sit there and spam aoes on the same mobs for days on end. 

This is what you guys put your time into? Rather than working on a better end game content. *facepalm* 10/10 guys not at all a waste of time, Who cares if people bot, not like rose has an active community anyways, some players are better than none right? no matter how they got to 230. This might be a good patch if the game had more than 2000 players but the fact is that it's almost a dead game, can you honestly say rose will still be around in 2-3 years time? 

Everything said here should be read and understood by everyone. That being said the last point on how long rose will last is hard to pin down because somehow this community lives through the rampant abuse despite the neglect and blatant attacks on it at every turn. Which is why I care so much about this community.

Lets rewind to 2013 and compare how many players we had then compared to now, it was over double the amount, the excuse I get given is "There are other games people go to" That's not true. I know people who play games for years regardless of what new games come out, it's just the fact you guys waste time on stupid updates like this instead of improving the game play and just listening to a small percentage of the community instead of having a fair way of getting community feedback.

Again spot on. There is a reason the number of players have declined. People don't accept being human bots. Even in dungeon crawler monster army killers. ( think of a game D ) It started out horribly making everyone a human bot, then seasons came and botting started to die, then they went back to forcing players to be literal human bots to acquire the needed items to be the best or have fun and the game is overrun by bots again. A gaming company with vast resources can't dent botting with enforcement but did when they had switched the incentive hmmm... perhaps some points i've been making for the past while. To bad that game went back to shifting the incentive back towards botting and trying to enforce and they are overrun again. And that is a game that people have to pay to get new accounts on. Just imagine how enforcement will work here with free accounts.......

I am for some stupid reason sitting here wasting my time saying this because I know it won't even be read but hey, i've done it once.. or 50 times but why not do it again? 

I read it, you are not alone! Some actually want real answers and your post was not over-looked! We can do this ROSE lets actually make this game better for us all. It starts by not wasting what little time and resources we already have. 

Sigh I miss the good old days when this game was alive, too bad this game has a guaranteed end due to lack of interest in these new updates. When rose shuts down i'll be the first one to say "I told you so"

And what little they do have for investment is put into Item Mall and enforcement, both of which don't bring or keep new players. I won't be the first to say I told you so.... I'll just cry a little inside for the lost potential I saw go to waste.

While I am happy that Rose has decided to return to the previous terms for botting, and is seriously going to try and curb the practice, I feel that there is much more that could be done.

LOL you are so right here.

Enforcement does help deter some people from breaking the rules, but not all. If they would fix it so that leveling was more pleasurable, and not such a chore, then people would not feel the "need" to bot. There needs to be a second look taken at the quests in the game, and more added. Mob spawns should be more spread out, so that people can't just sit in one place and spam aoes.

I disagree with everyone that talks about spreading the spawns and the number of mobs. The key is elements that require human interaction to best navigate through. In that D game I mentioned earlier the amount of mobs in an area is insane but if sitting on a spot kills you it is harder for a bot to cope with. A human will quickly learn , hey if I keep standing on this blue puddle it kills me and if I don't it doesn't.

Perhaps make spawns a bit slower, so that a character could progress deeper into mob territory, without fear of the ones being killed respawning and getting him from behind. As for events, I would love it if they fixed it so that high level characters could not get event drops from low level mobs. It is frustrating trying to do an event, and having a high level character come steal all the mobs, then kill them.All so they could farm event drop items to make money. 

I agree with keeping high players away from lower in the case of items for events. Birth island is showing us all right now how absurd it is.

If the staff would seriously take a look at the leveling experience, and work to improve it, make it so that events could be enjoyed by everyone, then I truly believe that more people will discontinue using bots, and get back to actually playing the game. You don't necessarily need to make it easy, but at least make it more enjoyable.

EXACTLY!!!! THIS IS MY POINT!

In the meantime, for those who do use bots, I am sorry, but I do have to agree with, if you don't want to play a game, why are you here "playing"?

For being so reasonable throughout your post you just had to fall to the dark side of emotion instead of argument at the end didn't you? Maybe some have been advocating for bots but the vast majority of players that have posted against enforcement have not talked about want to bot at all. That is the whole issue and why the enforcement lovers keep going back to the ad hominem boggles my mind. I don't want bots! We are talking here because we are tired of seeing the absolute wrong band-aids being used as opposed to actual solutions! We love this game and we want to enjoy it! Stop all of you from trying to push more out of this game first. Just don't. Then realize the arguments that are actually being stated, none of which are advocating bot use.

Quick point on those that want to see multi-client go.

I hear yea and I'm with you. However. Any even semi talented person on the computer looks at no multiclient being allow and just laughs. Multi-client literally can't be stopped by anything they do other than making the game pay to play and even then it doesn't stop it just makes it that much harder. I have and can multi-client any game. Those that go out of their way to try to not are usually the most lucrative to exploit then. The key again is changing incentive not enforcement. Have I brought up some themes on issues yet lol?

Also all of you that think ip banning will stop anyone. Go type in ip changer in google. Children do this. It is literally easier than running the rose client to change you ip.

After all of this I will say one thing for enforcement. It can only come second not first. If it is used first as an excuse that real change can happen second that is a complete non sequitor. Changing the game for the better doesn't have to wait on enforcement, but it can get people to even stop botting on their own. The key is changing the incentive of what to do in the game. If you are literally a human bot, then you will see botters. Enforcement will be a complete joke, especially in this free to play game. The only path is making it so that people don't even need to feel the need to bot to begin with.

I have never heard of someone botting minecraft. Why? Because the incentive to do so is non existent in its gameplay, despite things needing to be grinded.

Edited by Hellowarz, 06 December 2015 - 01:37 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users