Semi-Brand New Player. - New Player Zone and General Guides - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Semi-Brand New Player.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 2336151231050024803

I am New.

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 19 January 2016 - 04:20 PM

Hi iRO Players!

I'm Semi-Brand new, because I was a player way back 2007. (Yeah! I'm 24 and I will deny that I'm too old for this  :sob: )

I just want to ask for tips with regards to earning zenny, leveling-up, WP points, and anything else that you think will be able to help me as a newbie. 

Also, I've only heard and seen the latest jobs (ex. wanderer, GC, archbishop, etc.) I wasn't playing RO when they had these. So any information will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Vicky  :thx:

#2 MangoLatte

MangoLatte

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • LocationMango Heaven
  • Playing:Nothing
  • Server:Starbucks

Posted 19 January 2016 - 05:18 PM

im just a bit older than u and ill deny im too old for this game too :heh:

for leveling early u can try spores until 15+? for ant hell then orcs at 30-40+, and then maneater blossom bounty boards and then gramps all the way to 99. This is what I did anyway :heh: as for zeny...maybe hunt straws on lower level then other etc stuff people like to buy like stems, pspores

#3 folkvangr

folkvangr

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1180 posts
  • Server:EAC suc

Posted 19 January 2016 - 05:52 PM

I think people came playing here for nostalgia since it's old game. most people I know are 20++ /heh

#4 2336151231050024803

I am New.

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 01:46 AM

HAHAH! Thanks Guys! :))

#5 MangoLatte

MangoLatte

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • LocationMango Heaven
  • Server:Starbucks

Posted 20 January 2016 - 02:52 AM

I think people came playing here for nostalgia since it's old game. most people I know are 20++ /heh

for sure :p_love: :p_love:

#6 2336151231050024803

I am New.

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 03:37 AM

Btw, does anybody have trash items. HAHAHAH :))) leveling is really hard if your zenny is 0 and no equips. HAHAH I'm sorry in advance for asking, just trying my luck.

#7 Kersya

Kersya

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 538 posts
  • LocationQuébec, Canada

Posted 20 January 2016 - 10:54 AM

Im a bit over 30 and i still play lol, ill deny im too old for this too XD

I might have some trash for you depending what class you play, while you lvl you might want to do the bounty board quest and turn them all to get eden merit badge then you can trade those for magical stone and sell them to ppl for like 4-5m.

#8 seaechiowai

seaechiowai

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 904 posts
  • LocationIrvine, SoCal USA
  • Server:iRO Renewal Chaos

Posted 22 January 2016 - 02:14 PM

Welcome back to the game. You've chosen a great time to come back, as nowadays they give you minor cash shop items daily through very short quest as explained in this link.

Classes to play.

It's not hard to figure out what classes are popular. Just take a look at ROPD and you'll see which classes are considered good by the majority of players. So, I'd rather tell you which ones are not competitive/harder to play. The performers branch of archers, blacksmiths, super novices, tawkon masters are poor in comparison to the rest of the classes. Performers, while being a pretty good DPSes themselves and are always needed, are not as popular for in DPS builds and in support builds they are quite boring to play. Smiths are the black sheep of the game, let me tell you as someone who plays one, everything they can do are done better by alchemists, skill by skill. Their best skills such as Greed, Adrenaline Rush, and Weapon Perfection are now available through many gears for everyone else. Forging is not a good way to make money even as a ranked forger, and the things you do get to forge as a smith have expiration date of level 80 and beyond that, those weapons become pretty much useless. Taekwon branches are forgotten classes, TKM is replaced by numerous 3rd classes as the DPS king, and Soul Linkers while possibly one of the best pre-3rd classes, still have level cap of 99, forbidden to go into many contents of the game due to level. Super Novices are forced to have Soul Linker alt at all times to stay competitive, and they have the lowest HP/SP pool of the game making them die instantly by any mobs with skills that ignore defense.

Shadow Chasers, while being one of the best PVP classes of the game, are mediocre in PVM due to their SP cost penalties in copied skills and narrower selection of gears. Sura, while also being one of the best PVP classes game AND be solid in PVM, may have a very painful leveling process in mid game from lvl 90-150. Again, I'm not telling to not play these classes, but rather, just giving an information as to what to expect. I feel I need to mention that the latest class introduced is Rebellions(Rebels), a class that is quite high in DPS with moderate upkeep and low HP/SP pool. For limited time only, the game rewards a maxed level 160 Rebel for a gear to commemorate that you were the one of the first Rebellion of the server.

Cookie Cutter builds.

Builds based on 90, 100, and 120 stats are quite popular nowadays due to incredibly overpowered gears such as

Heroic Backpack,

[item='2576']

Fallen Angel Wing,

[item='2589']

and Temporal (stat) Boots

[item='22006']

[item='22007']

[item='22008']

[item='22009']

[item='22010']

[item='22011']

which all take bonuses based on your base stats. In case of FAW and TB, they can be even be further enchanted to suit your builds.

Leveling.

New and unique to iRO Renewal servers is Bounty Board quests. They are typically located next to Tool Shop buildings or Kafra staff, although unfortunately there are some towns that do not have them. These boards are easy meeting grounds, and seldom you may suceed in getting a party, but those under 150 may have hard time getting a party going due to the extremely solo-convenient set up for the server. By doing these quests, a player earns minor spending zenny, a lot of exp, and an Eden Merit Badge which can be exchanged into other things, I'll explain later in this post.

Gearing and money.

You can go with Eden gear until you hit lvl 101+

http://irowiki.org/w...uipments_Quests

Most steady and reliable money flow comes from instances and daily quests in my opinion. Here are the ones I personally like:

• Geffen Magic Tournament

http://irowiki.org/w...agic_Tournament

Get an easy Ygg and make your own gear useful for 3rd classes

• Reno daily at eden 2nd floor stairs:

http://irowiki.org/w...ystal_Synthesis

Tip: have alternate account partied and autofollow you, and finish quest, sell the rough and purified energy crystals.

• Faceworm hunt:

http://irowiki.org/wiki/Faceworm_Nest

Sell Faceworm skins and legs. You'll be facing several DPS checks, you'll need to have high DPS characters.

• Old Glast Heim/Temporal Boots farming

http://irowiki.org/wiki/Old_Glast_Heim

Make Temporal boots or just sell temporal crystals or coagulated spells to other players

• Malangdo Seagod's Anger + Octopus Cave

http://irowiki.org/w...alangdo_Culvert

A semi-challenging boss fight that rewards you with Seagod's Anger, a key item that can be sold to other players or used to enchant various weapons.

Recommended to do alongside this

http://irowiki.org/wiki/Octopus_Cave

• Gray set from Ghost Palace

http://irowiki.org/wiki/Ghost_Palace

A quest for you to make a holy-resistant armor set

Doesn't seem to make that much money nowadays

• Darklord Piece runs

http://irowiki.org/w...le_of_Demon_God

http://irowiki.org/wiki/Isle_of_Bios

Again, recommended to run both at the same time. Gain Darklord Essence which can be used to sold to other players or otherwise enchant gears.

• Malaya Boss Hunts

http://irowiki.org/w...Defeat_Bakonawa

http://irowiki.org/w...efeating_Buwaya

http://irowiki.org/w...t_Instance_Part

This set of Malaya boss run is done for its gear like Bakonawa Agimat Tattoo, Buwaya Sack Cloth, Bangungot Boots, etc

• Endless Tower

http://irowiki.org/wiki/Endless_Tower

Go through 99 floors and fight 25 different MVPs in your own instance. Tip: bring an alternate character with merchant cart, there are a lot of loot to be picked up. This is a really easy way to pick up Goibne set this way, which is a mediocre 2nd class gear set. This is nowadays more done for exp than the cash as it's kinda been overrun way too many times. Still decent fast cash, though.

Training Edition WoE and newer Godly sets.

http://irowiki.org/w...raining_Edition

http://irowiki.org/w...d_Items_Quest_3

You should make a decision on whether or not to advance into 3rd rank classes(or 2nd Expansion on Expand Classes), because we have an endgame for level 99 and below, held in Sundays for Chaos server and Fridays in Loki server. You can make godly gears through quests should your guild end up victorious on a WoE.

Cash item conversion.

Many players have claimed this game to be pay to win for its overpowered real life money items. While they are not completely wrong, these simple claims have missed the mark a little bit. The items themselves are quite great, but there are numerous ways to earn them without paying a dime as many players in this server has done to include myself.

• After player has earned 150-200 million zenny, they may trade with another willing player with Warp Portal Energy, who would then 'gift' the zenny paying player WPEand such activity is legal. It's illegal to utilize a 3rd party gold seller site, however, so don't make that mistake.
  • One may use the earn WPE options on the official site to load various offer and earn credits. I recommend highly to use virtual machines should anyone do this, so you can just delete spywares that come with it afterwards.
  • Players can earn Eden Merit Badges through various quests or by trading in Old Purple Boxes, most often ran quest are Bounty Boards or Gramp's Turn-Ins available in Eden Group daily for levels 70-150. Eden Merit Badges can be exchanged into minor cash shop expendable items such as Token of Siegfried(self revival), Life Insurance(negates death penalty on death if used before dying), Magical Stone(for resetting skills), Medium Life Potion(health regeneration), and Job Manual(amplified kill and quest exp rewards), and battlefield coin rewards if you want those battlefield gear without going to the battlefields.
  • There is a daily quest that gives four of the cash shop food items available for anyone.
  • There are numerous forum events ran by community relations and volunteers weekly to earn rare cash item rewards, pay attention to the yellow server messages as you play.
  • You can earn free VIP by having a regular streaming schedule in popular sites such as hitbox or twitch. All you have to do is to have your audience supply the iRO staff a proof of your stream schedule such as a screencap or your own stream archive, and they will give you a week of VIP. This can be repeated as many times as you'd like.

Upgrading.

+12 is the new +7. At the minimum you're expected to have +7 gears on you or else you may experience unnecessary drama while partying near end. The easiest way to upgrade nowadays is through Enriched Hammer event which unfortunately isn't on right at this moment, but does come by a couple times. You can get Safe to +7 certificates which saves your gear from being broken should you fail, by trading in a certain boss loot such as Nidhoggur's Shadow Garb, Alca Bringer, Mystic Bow, Valkyja's set, Grand Cross, and Guillotine into these insurance items. In short, you can reach +9 which seems to be the server standards by running MVPs and mini bosses.

Joining a guild.

There are four types of guilds in this server. WOE guilds, a training alt for the said WoE guilds, casual or Social guilds, and role playing guilds. The easiest way to join one is to apply by posting in the guild you like in the appropriate sub forum. https://forums.warpp...wal-recruiting/

Let me explain what that all means.

• WoE guilds focus on the GVG events, they want to prove themselves and generally made of people who like PVP. These particular guilds last the longest some lasted years, but they may have a level requirement. These highly competitive players are in endgame and they like the endgame, this is the place you want to be if your goal is to be rich and powerful.
  • Training alt guilds are made so players can either participate to WoE TE or just wait until they can become strong enough to be in WoE. Basically, a WoE-to-be guilds.
  • Social or Casual guilds are made with those who enjoy PVM content more than PVP. These guilds are generally more active at peak in my personal experience, but the downside is that they don't tend to last very long, usually not over six months. They are generally open for anyone. The atmosphere tends to be more relaxed, and they sought in-real-life meetings to become real friends.
  • Role Playing guilds are self explanatory. It's for people who like to goof around. The only role playing guild left in the server as far as I know is Otterly by the way, so you don't really have to look far.

Should you not care to join a guild because you don't care for the drama, but still want to experience the gameplay features of a guild, then you may consider to join a Clan. A Clan is a feature of this game where you can talk to numerous other players in it as well as have a small buff for being in one, but the features are not yet implemented. You can join a Clan in Prontera Teacher's Building, /navi prt_in 37/112.

#9 Necrohealiac

Necrohealiac

10,000 posts and not even a Tiki-Shirt.

• Members
  • 13389 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 02:30 PM

^doing god's work son

#10 seaechiowai

seaechiowai

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 904 posts
  • LocationIrvine, SoCal USA
  • Server:iRO Renewal Chaos

Posted 22 January 2016 - 04:13 PM

^doing god's work son

Thanks. Just killing time really.

I forgot to add a few things.

Spotlights, TI, and General Economy.

The economy in this game fluctuate quite much and new or returning players might wonder why. Also, you might have noticed that at one point of the time items are completely unavailable while some are in over abundances, but you come back some time later to find mysteriously things have changed. I've seen players call this to be a -_- economy because of it, but maybe they might not have known better when saying that. In iRO, there is something called Spotlights. It is the most similar to Guild War 2's Living World feature, but lamer basically(instead of having an in-game mechanic, players just vote and management just manually alter accordingly). Every month, a different town and areas nearby it will have bonus to drops and exp rewards. Naturally, while in spotlights, for example New World as it is one this month, drops from the monsters of it are amplified, and everyone who wants to make quick money from them will have flood the markets from it, dropping the prices. Example would be Bradium Shield and rings, a semi popular gear of choice. However, once the time is up and spotlights move away from the said town, the rates go back to normal making it harder to farm such, and prices will move right back up. Similar mechanism works for Gramp's Turn-In Quests(TI), wherein the same four sets of monsters are killed nonstop for two weeks straight. This is the principle of buying and reselling in iRO, to pay keen attention of what is happening by being on constant surveillance of updates subforums.

Another thing to mention is Guild Investment System. This is iRO's counter measurement to bots, one actually somewhat successful at that. What I mean by that is that while it didn't obviously stop bots, it offered an alternate way to supply oneself enough consumables without resorting to run bots. How this works is that an hour after WoE has concluded for the week, you may notice server message saying that Investment has opened up for such and such WoE realm. At that point, you can visit the WoE realm of your choice(it gets complicated as for choosing which ones to go for, but if you're just there for money, you can choose any which one). Find a Vending Machine next to two Cat NPCs near center of each realm, and you spend zenny to the shorter cat to get Thanks Investment Tickets, which you can exchange in the vending machines. Now, from the vending machines, you can receive various potions and materials to make EDP, +20 foods, and buff items. With a Geneticist alternate, you can make those superfoods for yourself or sell them to players. So, naturally, those various buff items and consumables will fluctuate in prices depending on whether if it is a WOE time, the investments being available or not, and whether or not Guild Dungeons were opened. This is a popular and easy way to make money ever since this system was introduced, although it may take some time to get going.

Shadow Gears.

These dirty cash shop items are a new addition to episode 14. Open up your character gear window with alt+q shortcut and you may see Special Equipment tab on top. True to Team Fortress 2 style, we now have hat on top of hats on top of hats as well as gears on top of gears. Shadow Gears and Costume hats do not break besides in upgrade attempts. These items are finishing touch to your build and as such, if refined the intended way, it may cost you billions of zenny to add +2 stats or resistances or cast reduction. Be on lookout for Shadow Refine Event, wherein normal and cash Eluniums are allowed to upgrade these shadow gears to save money. For us dirty, poor non vip peasants, we can kill giant Mysterious Bugs roaming around in major towns to collect a welfare shadow set available to anyone that adds +3 to all stats. There is a newly introduced yearly event, the Shadow of the Moon quest, which rewards a Shadow Gear of a kind through a quest, so you don't have to pay real money for it.

Another thing is the headgears. As a returning player, you may have noticed as you stroll down player market to see these incredibly expensive costume headgears. While many of them just simply look pretty, a lot of them also have great perks to it and/or be enchanted for stat increase. That can be done in Malando.

Among these costumes gears, a headgear of note is Costume:Goggles, it is famous for allowing a player to gain 30% extra exp on kills only (and not quests). You can make one yourself as a non VIP player. Simply go to Hugel north gear shop and there's an NPC selling normal Goggles for negligible price, I think like 200z or something, and you just have to +8 it, which then you can take to Alora while wearing one in Eden 2nd floor to have your own Costume: Goggles.

Transformations and buff items.

You might have noticed a Poring with cart attached onto it wandering around, and wandered what that was about. Introduced in late 2014, players can change appearances for 10~20 in-game minutes and gain a small, but stackable buff when using these Transformation Scroll / Trans Candy items. They may be acquired from the cash shop, or given by Grandma Boxter in Eden 2nd Floor when trading in your unwanted Lucky Box item, or be bought from another player-vend.

[item="12662"][item="12658"][item="12664"][item="12661"][item="12660"][item="12663"][item="12659"][item="11594"][item="11593"][item="11595"][item="11592"]

A full self buff nowadays would look something like the

1. aforementioned transformation scroll/candy,
  2. Level 20 foods made with Geneticist skill Mixed Cooking,
  3. Level 10 Kafra foods(weight 1, not the same as regular level 10 food) which stack with L20 food,
  4. Crystal buff from Reno in Eden 2nd floor,
  5. VIP +7 stat buff from Primo d'Buffer in Eden 1st floor,
  6. Distilled Fighting Spirit/Herb of Incarnation/Takoyaki/Rune Strawberry Cake/Schwaldzwald Pine Jubilee/Arunafeltz Desert Sandwish/Rice Cake (pick one as these will override one another for same stats),
  7. Box of Resentment/Drowsiness/Thunder/Gloom,
  8. Guarana Candy,
  9. Berserk Potion, 
  10. Enrich Celermine Juice,
  11. Vitata500,
  12. Enriched White Potion Z,
  13. Medium Life Potion,
  14. corresponding Fire/Water/Earth/Wind Elemental Converter,
  15. corresponding Flameproof/Coldproof/Earthproof/Thunderproof Potion,
  16. Life Insurance,
  17. Battle Manual x3,
  18. and own class specific buff.

Pets.

Nowadays you don't have to farm extraneously for monster tame items and pray to Odin for a chance to catch a pet. You can if you want, but there is a new streamlined way of getting a pet, which is gambling! Go to Prontera, in the northeast side of the inner roundabout at /navi prontera 204/295 , you'll see an NPC standing next to what looks like a dragon egg. By trading in 1x Egg, 20x Jellopy, 1x Star Dust, and 300k z to them you can get a select random pet egg that is not a boss egg.

Spoiler

Upgrading addendum.

You may have had used a different places, especially since you said you're old school, to gather up Eluniums. Logically, one might look up major online databases and wiki to end up mining those in Juperos, Dewata, or Glast Heim, those wouldn't be bad, but there now is a better place. Somewhere along the line in episode 13, dungeons of Comodo was Spotlighted, but the quality staff of Warp Portal have forgotten to take away the loot drop rate ever since til now. So, Comodo North Cave with Stalactic Golem by far is the best enemy to hunt in the server when it comes to Eluniums, despite many if not all databases will say otherwise. However, if you are hitting 150+, you may also find Bio Lab 4th floor and Nightmare version of Clock Tower a good alternative as you can gain exp and farm at the same time.

Seasonal Quests and Events.

Unique to iRO is Seasonal Events. These limited time quests can still appear in upcoming years, if you missed one for the current year. Often times the rewards are exp or buff items, but occasionally they drop exceptional gear. Some of the notable seasonal quests are:

During Winter Holidays - Jumping Janeway, where you gain up to 98 levels and Eden set for doing four sets of killing quests;

Winter Holidays - Chrismas Event, you are rewarded Christmas themed consumables. Santa nowadays gives out Enriched ores should you decide you want a free gift instead of stat reset. Santa's Beard, Valkyrie Feather Band, Rudolf Santa Hat, Polar Bear Cap, Cat Santa Hat, and Costume: Baphomet Hat were made in past events;

Lunar New Year - Dragonhelm that gives you extra damage to Dragon race and more exp, and Copper and Silver version of Dragon are also one of the easiest gear to +20;

March - Saint Patrick's Day Event buffs Green Ale items to 50% HP/SP heals, as well as a St Patrick's Hat that produces green ale;

April - Easter Event is notable for Holy Eggs, the best revival item in the game available typically only during this season, and Easter Egg Shell comes from these events;

Summertime - Anniversary Events, Poring Fedora Hat, Costume Adventurer's Hat and Costume Sphinx Hat, Yggdrasil Crown, and Crown of Deceit are some of the past hats from it;

Summertime - Independence Day Events give you Star Spangled Bandana or class specific cash shop headgear, inspired by Touhou Project game series;

Fall - Thanksgiving seasons are notable for Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales, they give you really good cash shop deals; and

Fall - During Halloween seasons open up cash shop's Witch's Pumpkin Hat which is one of the best training/potting/lootmaking hats.

There are some events that happen without specific time frame too.

Talk like Pirate Event is where Pirate's Folly which is a budget alternative to Rideword Hat came from

Raffle Events are moneysink where you can gain Kafra Blossom Card and other exclusive items;

Shadow Refine Events allow one to refine Shadow Gears using regular and Cash elunium;

Enriched Hammer lets player use Enriched Ores without breaking the gear up to +9.

Hope that helped. I'm not telling you how to play a game, just hoping I gave you tools for you to make a better decision.

Edited by seaechiowai, 07 February 2016 - 02:06 PM.

#11 Kyle770

Kyle770

I am New.

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 05:29 PM

hi Vikcy! i am a semi brand new player too haha, i was playing RO in 2009 and now i already 20 haha..

i just start yesterday haha

#12 Jezs69

Jezs69

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 09:44 AM

seaechiowai <<<< You're awesome! :no1:

#13 Reaghann

Reaghann

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 347 posts
  • Server:pRO New Chaos, iRO Thor

Posted 01 February 2016 - 07:47 AM

Spoiler

This should be pinned through a separate thread. Quite useful for returnees and newbies.

#14 Sirak

Sirak

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 10:53 AM

"For dirty, poor non vip peasants, we can kill giant Mysterious Bugs roaming around in major towns to collect a welfare shadow set available to anyone" 

Definitely my favorite thing ever

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users