A frank discussion about Classic - Page 4 - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
* * - - - 16 votes

A frank discussion about Classic

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#76 Xplay4eva

Xplay4eva

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 260 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 03:21 AM

Comparing Classic to Renewal is kind of like saying Batman could beat up Superman. They are both heroes, so they would not normally be fighting each other.

I think we need to be careful not to fall into the trap of trying to turn an imperfect game into something perfect. The strong points and appeal of Classic are not obviously apparent but they are undoubtedly present. Renewal will always be easier to get into but that just means that Classic should concentrate on what it does best. Everyone has their own "dream" version of IRO but from what I have seen, Classic has been handled very well so far. (PVM wise)

When the discussion moves to customizing and changing things that is unexplored waters. It can take a very long time to get new game additions to gel right with what was originally in it. Making improvements is welcomed but players need major amounts of patience because there is a lot to consider before changing anything.

Attempting to get a flood of people to come to Classic may sound like a good idea on paper but there are lots of caution signs that also pop up with that effort. The biggest ones being increased lag and risking turning Classic into something unrecognizable. I can somewhat feel where Xellie and others are coming from with wanting an active population but outside of the nuke option, (of a server wipe) the path to that goal is probably going to be quite tricky. There are not a lot of folks that still appreciate what Classic has to offer in its base form.

I would say that the staff should just keep doing what they are doing. Making things better when possible and trying not to break stuff in the process. Balancing WOE is a long term project as is making PvP and Battlegrounds worth doing. PVM could always use more variety of Turn in quests but I am unsure of the process of creating those.

Janeways 60 - 70 quest is laughably difficult to solo but it is possible. Just like with the Gargoyles from way back when. Given the time it takes to grind those levels, I think the risk/ reward ratio is pretty close on the Pitmen quest. Although for the sake of not driving people crazy, it might be nice if we could get a choice of maybe a couple of different monsters when she gives out the quest?

Edited by Xplay4eva, 30 January 2016 - 03:24 AM.

#77 rojoky113

rojoky113

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 536 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Classic Loki

Posted 30 January 2016 - 08:35 AM

DId you just say increasing classics population would be bad because lag, as if our efforts would be that wildly successful or that a population that's greater than 400something with bots and vends would cause massive amounts of lag?

If we brought enough players to the server that it actually caused a noticeable increase in lag, that would be a huge success not a problem lol.

The declining population and repeated complaints would beg to differ on classic being handled very well, and that something different needs to be done compared to just doing what they have been doing (which has mostly been a lot of nothing). And I fail to see how trying to improve glaring problems and imperfections is any sort of trap, especially if the things causing those problems are the result of already trying to meddle and change classic from actual pre-renewal (janeway/fencers, god item creation/seal power 2).

Edited by rojoky113, 30 January 2016 - 10:59 AM.

#78 CharAznable

CharAznable

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2716 posts
  • LocationWest Pront
  • Server:Renewal

Posted 30 January 2016 - 08:57 AM

More people means more profit=can afford more server equipment. 

#79 Vau

Vau

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 939 posts
  • Location.
  • Playing:Nothing
  • Server:.

Posted 30 January 2016 - 09:03 AM

Too many good ideas and no actions from WarpPortal.

Main ( )

{

1º State Priorities. Example: In-game Public chat and Find party chat, which most p-servers already have implemented.

2º Make a public poll for the Classic community to backup those ideas and priorities.

3º Give those ideas to Campitor and let his team decide which one is more required on Classic and takes less time to be developed.

4º WarpPortal should, at that point, give his decision to the community to calm down those rants/complaints, and start developing.

5º If worked, repeat the process with another idea.

6º If none of the above points worked, then i suggest to move on with your life, pick up your whole guild and go to another MMO or <nope>. It's unhealthy and senseless beating a dead horse.

}

GL&HF

Edited by VModCinnamon, 30 January 2016 - 09:44 AM.
Don't propose playing illegal servers, really.

#80 Undying

Undying

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1329 posts
  • LocationBoston
  • Server:Odin

Posted 30 January 2016 - 09:58 AM

2º Make a public poll for the Classic community to backup those ideas and priorities.

Only problem with this is the track record of our community with polls...

#81 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • Twitter:@nekoxellie
  • LocationValhalla
  • Server:Europe ban!

Posted 30 January 2016 - 10:13 AM

I may be crazy but my thought process is

Classic is the only official pre-renewal server and it is attracting users from all other versions. It has the potential to be a great product (read: if managed well, make great profit) and that would benefit all of wp, not just classic.

So yeah. There's gotta be something.

#82 lxst

lxst

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 491 posts
  • LocationDetroit, Mi, USA
  • Server:Classic/RT

Posted 30 January 2016 - 02:52 PM

ya kno what, i agree with ur starting post 100% we could also use some protection on our servers. like what was goin on toady before/during woe? i must have lost my connection 5-10 times easy.

not sure what all the answers are..... but we care. a lot.

pls WP staff, save our home, save our server. :thx:  (we will help tooooo)

^^^^ think "save the cheerleader, save the world"  :heh:

Edited by lxst, 30 January 2016 - 02:53 PM.

#83 Delitus

Delitus

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 50 posts
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand
  • Server:Classic

Posted 30 January 2016 - 03:42 PM

Classic ... has the potential to be a great product (read: if managed well, make great profit) ...

WarpPortal - I am ready to spend mega-bucks at the Kafra shop, now that I finally have a job. Please give Classic the attention it deserves, and make it mega-awesome. <3

#84 Mayhem

Mayhem

Awarded #1 Troll

• RO Fungineering
  • 890 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 12:21 PM

It has the potential to be a great product (read: if managed well, make great profit)

BAM!!! There you go with the summary.

Ultimatly thats all thats important as far as a company goes.

#85 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 31 January 2016 - 01:23 PM

Yep

We want a game we want to play

We will pay to play that game

everyone wins!

#86 Heart

Heart

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2871 posts
  • LocationSofa so good

Posted 02 February 2016 - 02:12 AM

Will this thread ever be read by GMs?

Find out in the next Episode of Drag- I mean Ragnarok Online!

#87 Oda

Oda

Overseas

• Community Managers
  • 10261 posts
  • Twitter:@Oda_CM
  • LocationAmatsu

Posted 02 February 2016 - 10:21 AM

So I guess right now it would be nice if someone with answers and authority would come in and give some answers on a few things.

Future of Classic

Can classic even be changed?

Are we asking for something that just will not be done?

We understand that not everything may be done but if it is just going to be ignored it would save everyone a lot of time to just say so before people spends hours and hours trying to help the server become something that will bring people back to the game and make new people stay.

Items on Classic

Can we get some clarification of if there is a way to add new items to classic?

I know there was something about item codes and only having so many or something. It would be nice to know if there is an easy option.

If there isnt, can we take useless items and turn them into something better?

For example taking non slotted bow out of any shop, deleting the item from the server, then replacing the item with a new item with a different image and stats

Maps

Is there a way to add maps?

PVM – KVM - God items - WoE Decline - Server Promotion

I guess that just is pointless to even talk about till we get someone to tell us if we will even be heard and things can change.

A lot of these things just go under balancing the game so that people can have more fun playing and events like pvp and kvn to give things other than woe to do. People have a ton of ideas for these that would bring out the best in both servers.

Website

Is there a way that we could get the website split up a little better to differentiate between classic and renewal info?

Forum

Can we get a dedicated thread or place on the forum for classic?

It would be nice to have a gm that would be working with the players to create a better game. It would give a place to help make the game better.

Also I think this would solve the “Cleaning up communication with the staff” if classic had someone working with them.

(Also it seems that renewal could use a gm working with them)

~)~)~)~)~)

Just because I loved the idea I thought I would expand with my two cents on that KVM idea of everyone having the same equips.

That would be amazingly fun if each class got auto equipped with a certain set of gear. Then it would all be about your build and skill.

Further those equips wouldn’t have to be basic. It could have some powerful buffs on each ones or higher hp/sp to create a kinda equal fun powerhouse fight. That of course would have to take a lot of balancing but could be an event that would just be randomly fun. Kinda like League of Legends version of Ragnarok.

For new items being created on classic server we are able to create new items as long as they use an existing sprite that the classic client can recognize. 

Creating items

Creating items with sprites from Renewal is much more difficult as it would mean we'd need to swap it out with one that works on classic. For monsters like the ones we are using for the challenge dungeon, we tried but were not able to make the game display another monster's sprite in place of the regular one.

Maps

We are able to add maps, including ones that do not exist yet on classic like Dewata. The problem is that we wouldn't be able to populate them with new monsters. 

WOE/PVP/PVE Changes

Campitor is looking at feedback and putting together proposals for changes to these systems. 

I'm pushing for a redesign of the Ragnarok Online website, with a section of it's own for Classic. 

I can think about the possibility of a classic specific section of the forums 

#88 Xandyzor

Xandyzor

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 610 posts
  • LocationBrazil
  • Server:Ragnarok Transcendence

Posted 02 February 2016 - 10:31 AM

WOE/PVP/PVE Changes

Campitor is looking at feedback and putting together proposals for changes to these systems. 

I'm pushing for a redesign of the Ragnarok Online website, with a section of it's own for Classic. 

Website and Specific section for classic please!!

2 Castle per Realm with rotation in 30 days or 15 days maybe.

#89 rojoky113

rojoky113

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 536 posts
  • Server:Classic Loki

Posted 02 February 2016 - 11:48 AM

Thank you so much for the answers and update on all that oda. It helps a lot just to know staff are reading and responding.

Edited by rojoky113, 02 February 2016 - 11:51 AM.

#90 Meiji

Meiji

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 03:07 PM

Yes, thanks for acknowledging. It's felt like radio silence for the past couple of weeks. 

A lot of damage has been done already, so see if it's possible to expedite the process on fixing WoE 2.0, or at least put a limit on it until we figure out what's best for long-term. We simply do not have enough players to compete for those castles. I won't talk about which guilds "deserve" what, considering they're just taking advantage of the situation like anyone else would, but it's pretty much a joke when those that play/compete are at a disadvantage to those who just break empty castles. Keep in mind I'm not even speaking for myself here, since our guild doesn't do 2.0. 

It's all been said before in a bunch of different ways, but this problem should probably be a priority. It messes up the already messed-up ratio of players :: miniboss cards, messes with the economy, makes WoE 2.0 god items even more stupidly common than they already are, and makes a weekly event that's supposed to draw players to participate in the game nigh useless. 

#91 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 02 February 2016 - 03:33 PM

Yes, thanks for acknowledging. It's felt like radio silence for the past couple of weeks. 

A lot of damage has been done already, so see if it's possible to expedite the process on fixing WoE 2.0, or at least put a limit on it until we figure out what's best for long-term. We simply do not have enough players to compete for those castles. I won't talk about which guilds "deserve" what, considering they're just taking advantage of the situation like anyone else would, but it's pretty much a joke when those that play/compete are at a disadvantage to those who just break empty castles. Keep in mind I'm not even speaking for myself here, since our guild doesn't do 2.0. 

It's all been said before in a bunch of different ways, but this problem should probably be a priority. It messes up the already messed-up ratio of players :: miniboss cards, messes with the economy, makes WoE 2.0 god items even more stupidly common than they already are, and makes a weekly event that's supposed to draw players to participate in the game nigh useless. 

This lady speaks truth and probably more eloquently than I could. This is a great summary of the problem.

#92 Mayhem

Mayhem

Awarded #1 Troll

• RO Fungineering
  • 890 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 05:45 PM

Oda Thank you so much for responding to this thread.

I hope this is just the begining of an ongoing relationship with the players to help make the server better.

#93 b0neh34d

b0neh34d

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 04:38 AM

a post-woe discussion thread is always fun and brings attention too.

it would be nice to have this section on the "new classic forum".

- WoE Report/Discussion/etc etc

- WoE Videos

also, idk if it is possible but having a global channel to players talk about parties, market, etc IN GAME would be fantastic. 

there are some servers around with the #party #trade channels and it makes everything way easier.

Or even have a default city/spot to look for parties (just like prontera is for trades). Seems like they don't happen at all.

#94 Tribe

Tribe

Awarded #1 Troll

• RO Fungineering
  • 728 posts
  • Server:Freya

Posted 03 February 2016 - 09:13 AM

we tried but were not able to make the game display another monster's sprite in place of the regular one.

Did you ask the community for help? People have been doing this for years. Lots of people have all their mvps/Xellie set to satan morroc/detard.

It might be different doing it from your end though, but when I messed with it for a bit I was able to easily turn missy into detard myself.

#95 Mayhem

Mayhem

Awarded #1 Troll

• RO Fungineering
  • 890 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 09:59 AM

I was thinking about this thread yesterday.

Anyway we can get an official announcement of what you are working on that we brought up and stickied? That way we dont end up necro on this thread. And also so the gms can keep us updated on whats going on with these things?

It would also help after some of the things are done so that people can see that things can change for the better.

#96 teresias

teresias

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 652 posts
  • LocationWest Prontera / Geffen
  • Server:Loki / Chaos / Odin

Posted 14 February 2016 - 08:55 AM

For new items being created on classic server we are able to create new items as long as they use an existing sprite that the classic client can recognize. 

Creating items

Creating items with sprites from Renewal is much more difficult as it would mean we'd need to swap it out with one that works on classic. For monsters like the ones we are using for the challenge dungeon, we tried but were not able to make the game display another monster's sprite in place of the regular one.

Maps

We are able to add maps, including ones that do not exist yet on classic like Dewata. The problem is that we wouldn't be able to populate them with new monsters. 

WOE/PVP/PVE Changes

Bump.  I understand that most of these things need to undergo proposals and approvals and there are more important stuff you need to handle, but any update even the smallest of the small? :)

P.S. If you can, kindly please make that possibility of a specific forum section a reality. <3

Thank you so much for your continuing effort and thank you in advance too for all the future progress. 

#97 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 14 February 2016 - 04:18 PM

I'd like to see a response to the monsters that are listed regularly as Themes as usable from old quests/events.

#98 Mayhem

Mayhem

Awarded #1 Troll

• RO Fungineering
  • 890 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 05:29 PM

I was thinking about bumping this today.

It has been a little while since we heard anything. It would be nice if a gm started a new thread addressing all these issues and giving us updates via editing the first post of how these thigns are going. That would also give people a place to suggest things, offer help, and also cut down on new threads being made.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users