Flatmap/Greyworld should be illegal? Thoughts? - Page 6 - Ragnarok subforum archives - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo

Flatmap/Greyworld should be illegal? Thoughts?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
169 replies to this topic

#126 Inubashiri

Inubashiri

Loyal White Wolf

• Members
  • 7646 posts
  • LocationWaterfall of the Nine Heavens
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:All

Posted 06 February 2016 - 11:36 PM

There are some bugs with newer graphics cards but its not related to that.  One thing I don't like about RO is you can't turn off verticle sync.

#127 Myzery

Myzery

They pay me to post.

• Banned
  • 6670 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 07 February 2016 - 01:08 AM

Knock it off with Prize Medal thing, no this is not great. What that got to do with this thread anyway?
squirreI, are you out of constructive points to share?

Note:

A couple posts had to go, keep it civil and within topic or your post will be gone.

Hey, at least we got some meddle!

Plz don't kill me.

#128 needmorezleep

needmorezleep

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1013 posts
  • Server:Classic

Posted 07 February 2016 - 03:12 AM

wat. people have FPS issues with RO? I know hallucination has a bug which drops fps, but as far as I am aware, terrain does not affect fps at all. And even if it does, the effect will be very small. Is there something I'm missing here?

Also RO is over a decade old, unless there is a bug, pretty much every computer should be to handle it with good fps.

yes it does increase performance quite a lot if you wish to go test it yourself

and youd be amazed what people cant run almost 15~18 years later at a reasonable/full speed

#129 WolfTri

WolfTri

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2041 posts
  • LocationWinterfell
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 07 February 2016 - 03:19 AM

Well then people seriously need better hardware, if they have fps issues with RO. Terrain isn't a bug to override. Hallucination has a bug with newer DirectX versions, so no hallucination makes sense. My fps would drop to like 0.2, and the grf edit wasn't legal back then, or was still a gray area. So I wasn't using it, and had to turn off effects in WoE or die to Hallucination Drug. Win10 fixed it though, so that's that.

As far as I'm aware, there's no such gamebreaking bug with terrain. Unless your computer is older than the game itself, or you're running more clients than you should, you'll be fine. Neither of those cases warrants a mod with all the said negative effects.

#130 needmorezleep

needmorezleep

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1013 posts
  • Server:Classic

Posted 07 February 2016 - 03:25 AM

if you do not have any issue then you are not someone this mod is designed for perhaps thats the problem in you viewing it

ive met quite a few people that still use ancient computers because in their countries it is just not affordable to go out and even buy something sub par with only a 600USD price tag like i can here

besides if you dont like it honestly dont use it since you wont have to see it or dont watch videos like with it as there are many without greyworld active

Edited by needmorezleep, 07 February 2016 - 03:26 AM.

#131 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • Twitter:@nekoxellie
  • LocationValhalla
  • Server:Europe ban!

Posted 07 February 2016 - 04:00 AM

I play on a potato and I don't need it

RCX causes the FPS drops and I'm sure people use greyworld so that they can use RCX more efficiently.

Started playing without RCX lately and I'm much happier.

Edited by Xellie, 07 February 2016 - 04:00 AM.

#132 Myzery

Myzery

They pay me to post.

• Banned
  • 6670 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 07 February 2016 - 04:05 AM

It makes a huge difference even on a high end computer.

#133 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 07 February 2016 - 04:48 AM

I did say "need" :P

#134 kingarthur6687

kingarthur6687

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1877 posts
  • Server:iRO Chaos Renewal

Posted 07 February 2016 - 12:23 PM

but as far as I am aware, terrain does not affect fps at all. And even if it does, the effect will be very small. Is there something I'm missing here?

The map 1N of Mora (Eclage field?) drops my FPS substantially because of the terrain, and I'm on a seriously beefy machine.

That said though, I still wouldn't consider graymaps in any positive way; it's a blatant cheat and nothing more.

#135 Exuro

Exuro

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3267 posts
  • Server:Chaos Renewal

Posted 08 February 2016 - 07:03 AM

If only RO scans the checksum of data.grf and if it differs from what is deemed official, RO won't start. But in the first place, patching isn't reliable and data.grf can totally be different between two people, depending on whether they've been consistently patching every week or if they've missed a few weeks.

#136 Ashuckel

Ashuckel

'-' intensifies

• Members
  • 18996 posts
  • LocationJohto, Hoenn, Unova, Kalos, Alola

Posted 08 February 2016 - 07:14 AM

You can just open the game w/o opening the patch client so...

Edit: actually there are inumerous ways to bypass this lol

Edited by Ashuckel, 08 February 2016 - 07:15 AM.

#137 Exuro

Exuro

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3267 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 07:26 AM

Then have the client check that too?

But yea... you're right. Probably futile...

Maybe... if each time a map is loaded, the map files (gat, rsw & gnd) have to be retrieved from the game servers instead of inside the data.grf? Then it'll get cached for as long as the client is open. It'll be hell for those with crappy Internet but not too much since we're not in the dial-up age anymore, and map files are usually 2-4MB for one map, I think.

If it's the textures that are being changed though, and not those map files, then it might be a different story since those textures involve several files and it'll be too taxing to keep on downloading them.

Meh

#138 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 08 February 2016 - 07:29 AM

not only that but the majority of the time its impossible to access classic without bypassing the patcher x.x

#139 Exuro

Exuro

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3267 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 07:31 AM

not only that but the majority of the time its impossible to access classic without bypassing the patcher x.x

Really? Been a while since I've logged onto Classic but the last time I played, I was bypassing that patcher.

#140 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 08 February 2016 - 07:33 AM

NoClientInfoFile!!

NoClientInfoFile!!

NoClientInfoFile!!

NoClientInfoFile!!

NoClientInfoFile!!

NoClientInfoFile!!

NoClientInfoFile!!

NoClientInfoFile!!

NoClientInfoFile!!

now my classic does something even worse, 8/10 times it pulls up the renewal grf and gives me every error under the sun and i did nothing to cause that!

#141 Exuro

Exuro

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3267 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 07:37 AM

NoClientInfoFile!!

NoClientInfoFile!!

NoClientInfoFile!!

NoClientInfoFile!!

NoClientInfoFile!!

NoClientInfoFile!!

NoClientInfoFile!!

NoClientInfoFile!!

NoClientInfoFile!!

now my classic does something even worse, 8/10 times it pulls up the renewal grf and gives me every error under the sun and i did nothing to cause that!

Oh... now I think I remember. :heh:

I actually want to try Classic again but I've read somewhere that once you patch Classic, you'll break Renewal. Is that still true?

Edited by Exuro, 08 February 2016 - 07:38 AM.

#142 Havenn

Havenn

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6523 posts
  • LocationRagnarok Online

Posted 08 February 2016 - 07:45 AM

Just going from topic here....

Developers created walls/graphics for a reason, if you think this should be legal and you even try to use the excuse that it cuts down on lag just stfu

#143 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 08 February 2016 - 07:47 AM

Oh... now I think I remember. :heh:

I actually want to try Classic again but I've read somewhere that once you patch Classic, you'll break Renewal. Is that still true?

not true find me in classic tho :F

#144 Exuro

Exuro

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3267 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 08:26 AM

Just going from topic here....

Developers created walls/graphics for a reason, if you think this should be legal and you even try to use the excuse that it cuts down on lag just stfu

If anyone's PC still lags with RO's graphics then for Havenn's sake upgrade your toaster now.

not true find me in classic tho :F

pd9ht.jpg

#145 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 09 February 2016 - 11:12 AM

Make a greyworld with elevations still intact then I wouldn't consider it a problem

#146 Havenn

Havenn

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6523 posts
  • LocationRagnarok Online

Posted 09 February 2016 - 11:20 AM

I blame GRF editors for the fact that you pretty much can't own a physical PC game anymore :[

#147 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 09 February 2016 - 11:31 AM

The funniest part of this to me is all the people claiming it doesn't make a difference.... Oh it does. I could post countless videos of me hiding behind objects (cloak is honestly just a way to turn off emblem) and getting many recalls that "shouldn't" have happened.

With greyworld they can just walk past and see me. There's no thinking required, no punishment for letting me slip through, no real consequence for not checking because you don't have to check and I can almost guarantee that these same people would complain if they played a char like mine.

It's a class I enjoy I don't see why I should have to swap because people cheat.

I also can't post the videos because they will really upset people / people will call drama. But they happen.

#148 meditation

meditation

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3547 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 05:11 PM

Lol the first time i saw a woe video "grey world edition" i was like wth is this... Is it still ragnarok or a poorly designed game?
I saw a champion using this "edit". Well... how can you say this isn't a cheat? You have no obstacles in your screen anylonger, no distractions at all. You can focus on the opponents only since those are the only thing you can still see in the game lol. I can understand the pointer of a different colour or hallucination/other crappy effects disabled but this? Really? This is a cheat, not a simple graphical edit. Is like playing a first person shooter game and being able to see through walls (wallhack)... People who are using this should be banned.

#149 Exuro

Exuro

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3267 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 10:16 AM

There are some bugs with newer graphics cards but its not related to that.  One thing I don't like about RO is you can't turn off verticle sync.

I think I know what you're talking about. Is this the weird sprite appearances with Nvidia cards? I think I posted about this in the Technical Support section. It can be temporarily resolved by trying to run anything as admin (just to make UAC appear) and cancel it -- for each new RO window (must not be full screen).

Coming from some unofficial source though, I think this is already permanently fixed in the recent kRO client updates.

#150 rojoky113

rojoky113

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 536 posts
  • Server:Classic Loki

Posted 11 February 2016 - 10:46 AM

I think I know what you're talking about. Is this the weird sprite appearances with Nvidia cards? I think I posted about this in the Technical Support section. It can be temporarily resolved by trying to run anything as admin (just to make UAC appear) and cancel it -- for each new RO window (must not be full screen).

Coming from some unofficial source though, I think this is already permanently fixed in the recent kRO client updates.

So Chaos will get it sometime years from now after this nvidia gen is obsolete anyway, and classic never. Sucks cause I was gonna get a laptop with a new nvidia but now I'm not sure, definitely not confident this will be fixed anytime soon if ever and I hear the workaround fix doesn't work with rcx QQ.

On topic pretty obvious greyworld is cheaty and idk why it was ever legalized.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users