#1 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

My Offline Life is Nonexistent.

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Sakray->Iris->Ymir->Chaos

Posted 09 April 2016 - 01:02 AM

Back when the original Kingdom Hearts was advertised, I was skeptical of such a game. I mean, a crossover between Disney animation and Final Fantasy? Yeah, sure us older generations grew up with both franchises in the 90s, but I doubt many would think of such a crossover between the two.

But somehow, it worked.

My younger cousin introduced me to the first game with his PS2. I watched as he tried to fight Sephiroth in the Coliseum and seeing the juxtaposition of Disney characters and Final Fantasy characters was a little weird for me to wrap my head around. It wasn't until I got myself a copy of Chain of Memories that I started getting into the growing franchise (yeah, not quite the best introduction, but it did enough to pique my interest). Then after I got my hands on a copy of Kingdom Hearts (PS2) and actually played it, I slowly realized... I liked it. I really enjoyed the story and the characters and the gameplay (wonky camera included). It had its challenges, but most of all, it was fun to play.

Fast forward to the abysmal Kingdom Hearts II. Oh KH2, where to start. For me, the shoehorning of Tron and Pirates of the Caribbean into the game was the breaking point. Kingdom Hearts and Chain of Memories had already established the cartoon/anime aesthetics of the series and then along came KH2 and the live-action inserts. It ruined the immersion for me; the stupid tutorial ticker and the tamed down gameplay just added on to that (don't get me started on the rhythm games in Atlantica). And then you have the story, good grief the story. Kingdom Hearts had a simple concept and Chain of Memories and KH2 together just got steroids of an expansion on the original story. XIII Order, Nobodies (which was ironically coined by Rabbit in Winnie the Pooh long before Kingdom Hearts was even an idea), the anagram overuse... I just couldn't take it. I said I wiped my hands of the franchise and pretended that the first KH game was all there is.

Then along came Birth By Sleep and I became optimistic again. Yes, I was disappointed that they brought back that idiotic tutorial ticker from KH2 and even Jiminy's ****ing Journal, but the rest of the game brought back the joy I felt when I played the original Kingdom Hearts. Yes, even the rhythm games in Disney Town (because it's frickin' Toontown so it works). It was the kind of game that KH2 should've been and so BBS became a solid favorite for me. Then along came Dream Drop Distance and again I decided to wipe my hands of the franchise once more. Even in the face of the upcoming Kingdom Hearts III, which has decided to drop the whole cartoon aesthetics and taken up Final Fantasy textures. I don't mind that look for the full-motion video intros and endings to the game, but not in the actual game. It just looks very weird and out of place in comparison to the rest of the franchise.

And then this happened. Yes, I'm aware that there was a Kingdom Hearts Mobile game that was supposed to be based on the events of the Keyblade War mentioned in BBS, so I'm not sure why this game was even made. I guess the people who tried Kingdom Hearts Mobile were dissatisfied that it's so far in the past that you wouldn't encounter the characters in Kingdom Hearts (since they weren't born yet)? I dunno, Kingdom Hearts Mobile never made it out of Japan so I don't know what became of it. But for Kingdom Hearts: Unchained, I have only this to say about it...

"Psh, I guess I'll try it out for a few minutes."

*6 hours later*

"...Crap."

Once again, I've been suckered back into the franchise. Honestly though, I'm not a fan of the game's synopsis since it's placed in a weird spot in the Kingdom Hearts timeline, but the overall gameplay is rather addicting. Touché, SqureEnix. Touché.

Still not getting KH3, though. :P

#2 kokeshicat

kokeshicat

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 886 posts
  • LocationCamp Half-Blood
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 10 April 2016 - 10:29 PM

i wanted to play this but sadly Miitomo took a lot of space in my phone ;___; i've always wanted to try KH but i'm not sure if i could still catch up with the story since we don't have a console at home (just 3DS) :s 

#3 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 02:17 AM

If you follow the story with Birth By Sleep and then the original Kingdom Hearts, you're pretty much good when it comes to Unchained. Everything after that chronologically is a mess.

#4 RichieDagger

RichieDagger

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 929 posts
  • LocationUnder your bed.
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 11 April 2016 - 03:38 AM

i wanted to play this but sadly Miitomo took a lot of space in my phone ;___; i've always wanted to try KH but i'm not sure if i could still catch up with the story since we don't have a console at home (just 3DS) :s 

There have been some highly functional PS2 emulators around for a few years. You can get console-style controllers for your PC fairly cheap too. I've had issues with every Sony console (and only the Sony consoles) I've ever owned, so that's what I've resorted to.

#5 inuko23

inuko23

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1182 posts
  • Server:Chaos, Odin (RO2)

Posted 11 April 2016 - 11:17 AM

i wanted to play this but sadly Miitomo took a lot of space in my phone ;___;

If you wanted to give Unchained X a try, you could play it on Bluestacks (I use it on my computer to play games that would take up way too much space and battery to play on my phone).

#6 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 07 May 2016 - 10:11 AM

Anyone collecting headgears in Unchained, too?

No, only me? :<

#ROLife

#7 5143121023173906760

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1508 posts
  • Playing:Dragon Saga
  • Server:Sounds obvious !

Posted 27 May 2016 - 09:56 PM

Anyone collecting headgears in Unchained, too?

No, only me? :<

#ROLife

Unfortunately, unchained isn't available in EU yet. ;w;

(Maybe I should go for an another server instead of keep waiting).

#8 MilkyThief

MilkyThief

Guide Master

• Members
  • 881 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts
  • Server:Renewal/Chaos

Posted 01 June 2016 - 01:46 PM

Oh boy. Kingdom Hearts is the one other game that I have thousands of hours on that isn't Ragnarok Online....

My father is a huge Disney addict and got Kingdom Hearts on release date for my younger brother (he learned about it from some Disney blog) He tried it on my PS2 and hated it, therefor the game became mine. And my god I got hooked. I spent so much time just exploring the worlds and enemies, that I didn't progress in the story for ages. Eventually I beat it though.

Then, Chain of Memories came out, and I got that on release day as well, That game is fantastic, I love the battle system even though many people hate it. (Except Replica Riku fight 4, that sucked) Also I remember being so excited when I unlocked Reverse Rebirth mode, I had no idea that was a thing at the time.

Then Kingdom Hearts 2 came out. The first one I didn't get on release date... I ended up getting it for xmas that same year though. That game is a literal 10/10 for me. I have maxed out play time on that game. Fast forward a little bit and I learned about Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix in japan. It was 2007 when I ordered a PS2 mod kit and KH2FM+ and beat that game over and over again. I did also buy Re:COM when it came out in America, I found it at a random shop in Disney world when I was on vacation.

Next up was the mobile trilogy: 358/2 meh okay game I liked it, Re:Coded hated it. Worst KH ever made no contest, and then Birth By Sleep my personal favorite Kingdom Hearts.

I bought the Limited and Collectors editions for 1.5 and 2.5 and display the shadow plush on my shelf proudly. I own all the guidebooks for all the games, and a life sized full metal keyblade. Also right when FYE stores went out of business I bought a Kingdom Hearts bathrobe and matching slipper set for dirt cheap as well as other keyblade necklaces and whatnot.

And as for Kingdom Hearts Unchained, I like the game, just not how P2W it is gonna get soon. Stuck on level 207 now, waiting for more events to be added so I can farm raid bosses easier.

I think my next tattoo will be kingdom hearts related... Not sure yet.

#9 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 04:53 PM

So far I've only bought a 1-week VIP, which I feel is a little too pricey for what you get. ($10 is more like it, definitely not $15.) That aside, I haven't really felt the desire to buy anything else from the cash shop. Been spending too much time refining my keyblades and evolving medals so I'm still level 170ish.

#10 MilkyThief

MilkyThief

Guide Master

• Members
  • 881 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 05:07 PM

Yeah, I agree with that. I feel like the 10 metal pack is to expensive for what you get. I bought VIP twice, and honestly can't recommend it. I wish I could do the Cid metal VIP quests, but it isn't worth 15 dollars a week. Especially with the rate of stuff they are adding for you to buy. I would be so much more tempted if it was cheaper....

Skimped on metals for a long while, bought the latest box, got one purple. I did end up with one Final Form Sora metal. It actually sucks because the amount of HP it drains isn't worth it :L

Fun game, looking foward to the next update and keyblade. Rumbling Rose is one of my favorite keyblades so I saved some Oricalcum for it instead of upgrading Olympia.

#11 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 12:23 PM

New Orichalcum challenges are tough if you don't use status effects to your advantage. I failed miserably the first time I went against the 3 Invisibles because I went full melee on them. Luckily I had leveled up my poison, stun, and sleep Power medals so I was able to get through them the second time around.

#12 inuko23

inuko23

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1182 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 01:04 AM

**SPOILER ALERT: if you haven't gotten that far in KH Unchained X, the part of this trailer about the story of it starting at 1:34 will spoil events that happen later in the game** 

https://www.youtube....h?v=fPoQw2J177c

Spoiler

Edited by inuko23, 22 June 2016 - 07:49 PM.

#13 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 01:17 AM

Ralis would approve of Unicornis.

**SPOILER ALERT: if you haven't gotten that far in KH Unchained X, the part of this trailer about the story of it starting at 1:34 will spoil events that happen later in the game**

Spoiler

#14 MilkyThief

MilkyThief

Guide Master

• Members
  • 881 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 07:01 PM

I just want my Rumbling Rose in Unchained.......

I also picked Vulpes randomly. Looks like I guessed right.

#15 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 11:27 AM

Currently sitting at level 188. I'll get to 200 someday. :U

#16 MilkyThief

MilkyThief

Guide Master

• Members
  • 881 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 01:14 PM

I'm still 207, not bothering to level until a good farmable boss is put in. Too lazy to farm Omega Spiders off the adamantite quests. 

Also got crap pulls from the new metal pack. Not even one Organization member. I got 2 KH2 Leons and 2 KH1 Aeriths from one 3k jewel pull. I am still pissed thinking about it.

#17 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 05:02 PM

I'm trying to get the magic version of Leon, but the medal packs keep giving me the power version. The RNG gods do not smile upon us. 8U

#18 MilkyThief

MilkyThief

Guide Master

• Members
  • 881 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 06:49 PM

I have 3 of those magic Leons now. Next blue metal day (tuesday I think) I will max them all out and make a better Leon. 

I really wish the VIP wasn't 15 dollars a week. I would be much more inclined if it was a more reasonable monthly payment. I've bought it twice, and probably never will again unless they change the subscription model or add discounts. 

#19 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 07:21 PM

I have 3 of those magic Leons now. Next blue metal day (tuesday I think) I will max them all out and make a better Leon.

WHY IS EVERYONE GETTING MAGIC LEON EXCEPT ME???

oTL

#20 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 07:51 PM

Just got to Story Quest 365 and I think I have an idea of what's going on.

Spoiler

#21 MilkyThief

MilkyThief

Guide Master

• Members
  • 881 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 11:01 AM

Interesting. I only pay attention to the Daybreak town cut scenes and skim over the other worlds. Hoping 2.8 gives a nice recap, because I am lazy.

I just got my first Organization XIII metal. I wanted Axel but got Saix. Oh well. I also got a KH2 Kairi, that is a really useful metal. 2 tier speed attack boost? Heck yeah. Gonna buy another metal pack next week. That illustrated cloud metal is OP but I am not getting my hopes up on getting one :L

#22 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 08:39 PM

My character is going to have trust issues.

Spoiler

#23 inuko23

inuko23

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1182 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 02:46 PM

Just got to Story Quest 365 and I think I have an idea of what's going on.

Spoiler

Spoiler

My character is going to have trust issues.

Spoiler

Just got to that part recently
Spoiler

Edited by inuko23, 16 July 2016 - 02:53 PM.

#24 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 09:32 PM

Welp, I'm now stuck on Quest 425.

Spoiler

#25 MilkyThief

MilkyThief

Guide Master

• Members
  • 881 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 12:05 PM

How I dealt with 425:

Spoiler

Edited by MilkyThief, 12 August 2016 - 12:29 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users