[C] The True Classic RO Challenge! - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

[C] The True Classic RO Challenge!

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 Fritjof

Fritjof

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 06:23 PM

I was feeling a little bored one evening, so I started to think up the following challenge. The main idea behind the challenge is an experience of ragnarok online most closely resembling that of how it was in days prior. Now, you may be thinking "But isn't that what the classic servers are for?"; Yes and no, please note the following guidelines of the challenge below.

Guidelines...

• A brand new account, created either on a new warpportal account or one of your already existing ones
  • NO help whatsoever regarding items, zeny, leeching, buffing, etc from any of your already existing accounts or friends (though if they make their own challenge accounts you're free to party with one another!)
  • NO turn-in quests
  • NO use of Jumping Janeway, the free Asgard armour quest or access of Asgard at all for anything other than social purposes. That's right, you no longer essentially start the game at level 70 :P , and traversing the map is no longer possible using the giant mass teleportation hub known as Asgard.
  • By the same token as the above, no use of the prontera pass.
  • I think it goes without saying that this challenge is Classic Server only
  • NO ViP/Kafra Points. (Now, I feel like actively discouraging the purchasing of an in-game service might be stepping on some toes, if this is the case I'll be happy to remove this guideline from the post.) Please remember that the spirit of the challenge is the closest emulation of what ragnarok online was way back when, 1.5x exp/2x drops etc is no bueno.
  • NO Kafra items. This includes all of the headgear, e.elu, e.ori, etc. In addition to being something that never existed before the game went f2p, a lot of the headgears were pulled from the renewal game and make some of the skills in classic far more powerful than they otherwise would be (guillotine fist and critical damage+ are some of the worst offenders). Some of the headgears are just so powerful you see everyone wearing them and they knock out major game systems, for example the pumpkin hat combo is both a more economical and potent healing than any of the crafted potions below white slims. This limitation does not apply to cosmetic items like the character dyes, given that they do not change the gameplay experience in any way other than making you look more snazzy.
  • Multiclienting is NOT allowed but having multiple accounts IS allowed. To clarify, doing something like making an endow slave, priest slave, linker etc for the purpose of buffing a character of yours is not permitted but making a new account to bypass the 3 character limit (say... to level a wizard) is fine. Although multiclienting did happen in the past, it was rare given the $15 subscription fee that was incurred with each subsequent account created. Given that the paywall is no longer there and multiclienting trivializes a large amount of content it has been deemed as not in the spirit of the challenge and therefore against the rules.
  • Expanding on the previous point, you can still do things like purchase endows from sages/scholars or hire/group a priest to level a character or farm. Things of this nature were very common in the past (it was a good source of income for priests to sell their FS services) and is perfectly fine.
  • Vending and selling items obtained on your challenge account is 100% okay(and pretty important), so long as you don't go an do something like listing Ribbon [1] for 10m and buying it on another account.
  • Buying items others are vending is also 100% okay, same concept as the point above.
  • I cannot stress enough that grouping/cooperating with other challengers is encouraged. Please DO level together and help each other out. This is not to say that you're barred from interacting with non-challenge accounts either, just use common sense as to what is acceptable (partying with a priest to even share level is good for example). Try and avoid anything that feels like "charity".
  • If something feels like it's cheating, it probably is. You are the best judge of what departs from the spirit of the challenge.

Tips and Strategy...

• Meat and Monster Feed have the best heal:zeny ratio as far as healing items without boosts(pumpkin hat for example) go. These are the go-to recovery item for those on a budget, they do have an atrocious weight:heal ratio however.
  • Cheap (10k) elemental daggers are sold by a merchant in Einbroch found here.
  • Goggles are sold for 20z (upgrade over the helm you start with) in hugel found here.
  • TI quests are not permitted by the challenge but you can certainly sell the items required for them; Dokebi horns, anolian skins, earthworm skins etc
  • The goal shouldn't really be to level as fast as possible so much as it should be to make zeny; You should focus on leveling in places with the most zeny/hr rather than exp/hr.
  • When it comes to making zeny through farming, you should go after what amounts to the best average zeny per hour, rather than hunting specifically for things like cards.
  • See http://irowiki.org/c.../Leveling_Spots for great spots levels 1 - 70 and beyond.

Challengers...

Challenger Guild...

Bjodjagildi

(meaning literally "Challenge guild" in Old Norse)

eFlPsz3.png

The guild has officially been made and any who wish to participate in the challenge are welcome to join, you can ask anyone in the guild for an invite.

Why..?

This challenge is primarily aimed at those who get a kick out of starting from scratch. The sole purpose for making this challenge was fun and community involvement. We know that this sort of thing isn't for everyone, to many "starting over" is something they would dread doing rather than enjoy and that's just fine. The people participating in this challenge are looking for an experience they could never get on an account that is many years old, or (as is the case for many on classic servers) they're still seeking that feeling that they got when they played ragnarok online for the first time so many years ago.

Feel free to ask any questions about the challenge or keep us up to date on your progress! I look forward to reading about fellow challengers!

A thief is born :D

VoUDw3c.jpg

Edited by Fritjof, 26 April 2016 - 02:36 AM.

#2 Ramses

Ramses

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 861 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 10 April 2016 - 06:39 PM

Job.jpg

Count me in :D

Edited by Ramses, 10 April 2016 - 06:47 PM.

#3 Fritjof

Fritjof

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 09:54 PM

updated the guidelines, added tip section

~~~~~

Day 1 (more like night 1 really)

• Leveled Fritjof to 35/25, managed to pick up a few goodies out of payon cave (including a zombie card of all things :D).
  • Leveled a merchant (named him Halldor) to 20/14 to try and vend what I picked up overnight.
  • The goal for tomorrow is to level the thief to j40 on Mukas(and pick up some cactus needles), job change to rogue and level the merchant so I can grab discount10/overcharge10

I have to say I'm enjoying this quite a lot, hopefully things sell though /swt

BrLpFzf.jpg

Edited by Fritjof, 10 April 2016 - 09:56 PM.

#4 Zoltor

Zoltor

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1345 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 10:21 PM

It's a cool idea, but why Isn't vip allowed, lets be real, if we are really talking about classic RO, VIP should be a must(it was a p2p game after all, so it feels weird not to allow such, especially since it went f2p, the Kafras have a lot fewer teleports then they use to have)

#5 Fritjof

Fritjof

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 03:14 AM

As I mentioned in the guidelines, ultimately you are the best judge of what departs from the spirit of the challenge. Personally, I feel that over double the exp/jexp/drops of what you could get in the original game(I realize they are higher than that already, technically) departs further from the spirit of the challenge than not being able to withdraw $15 USD from your bank account every month :P

#6 Faolain

Faolain

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 680 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:All

Posted 11 April 2016 - 02:09 PM

I'm in! As for the Kafra Shop, would it be OK to use it for purely cosmetic things, such as hair styles or clothing dye? Stuff that doesn't give an advantage, basically.

I will be playing a Hunter, so I'd be happy to leech anyone who has a harder time leveling themselves (merchants/acolytes) at Geographers.

tumblr_o5hsa1rNff1u0prmfo1_500.jpg

Edited by Faolain, 11 April 2016 - 02:09 PM.

#7 Fritjof

Fritjof

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 12 April 2016 - 06:50 AM

updated guidelines, added roster placeholder (need to get the names of participants first)

~~~~~

Day 2

• Leveled the thief all the way to 57/23 rogue on Mukas, managed to make 3.5m today off of cactus needles, empty bottles and clip [1] from camping dragon fly.
  • Leveled the merchant to 40/28 on Mukas as well, just far enough to get overcharge 10 and vending 6
  • The goal for tomorrow is at least lvl 65 on the rogue and buying/farming an emperium for the challenge's guild; I think I also need an elemental damascus for farming something, haven't decided what yet.
  • I keep getting a slew of useless/worthless cards (2 mukas 1 chonchon)... :hmm:

HwK9sZw.jpg

#8 Faolain

Faolain

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 680 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 12 April 2016 - 08:44 AM

Day 1 Summary

• Made Sugar Pink, an Archer.
  • Leveled her at Spores for a while and got around 50 Strawberries, which I stored for later. Went to Payon Cave, got three skull rings, a club, and a few opals.
  • Made a merchant on the same account and spent a few hours in Culvert, getting overcharge skill and vend skill up. Vended the strawberries, overcharged the random loot I got, bought some gear for the archer including a Gakkung bow.
  • Dragged the merchant around the map to Hugel and bought some 20z Goggles for her and the archer. Dragged the merchant to Einbech and bought discounted Fire Arrows. 
  • Sent the archer off to Geographers.
  • Ended at level 41/31 at 2:30AM.

No screenshot from last night because I was too tired to think of taking one so here's one from five minutes ago after logging on.

tumblr_o5j7v7ydb91u0prmfo1_500.jpg

(Click for larger)

Edited by Faolain, 12 April 2016 - 08:44 AM.

#9 rockymom

rockymom

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 338 posts
  • LocationSweden
  • Server:Renewal, Classic

Posted 12 April 2016 - 02:02 PM

Several of us did something similar on Renewal a while back and it was a blast. Hope you guys have lots of fun doing this, especially if you do some guild parties and whatnot.

#10 Fritjof

Fritjof

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 12 April 2016 - 10:51 PM

guidelines updated, guild created...

Bjodjagildi

(meaning literally "Challenge guild" in Old Norse)

vfprnJY.jpg

Given that a great deal of the game has to do with Norse mythology and the old norse language can be found everywhere (many castles for example), we felt something in a similar vein was appropriate as a guild name. The guild is open to any fellow challengers, and seeking new members :P

~~~~~

Day 3

• Leveled the rogue to 63/30 (again on Mukas), leveling here is slow but with the spotlight the zeny/h is hard to beat. Sitting on 8m in zeny on the merchant purely on the back of clip[1]s, needles and empty bottles. I'm going to stay here until I find something better or start to feel absolutely sick of Mukas.
  • Merchant is the same level as before, I have just been vending on him while away/asleep.
  • Income has been good and consistent, I had forgotten just how lucrative gank rogues can be (more than once I was mistaken for a bot  :sob: ).
  • Gear goal is to get an ice pick ASAP then head to goats for a good long while (think of the $$$!)

~~~~~

@Faolain

Good call on the goggles (better than the novice eggshell :D), adding that to the tips section. If anyone else is aware of the lesser known secrets of the game useful to new characters do let us know and I'll update the first post.

Edited by Fritjof, 12 April 2016 - 11:03 PM.

#11 Faolain

Faolain

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 680 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 12 April 2016 - 11:28 PM

Day 2

Archer is now level 50/30something.
Merchant is still the same level.
Went to collect bottles at Mukas. Sold those.
Went to Toy Dungeon. Overcharged a bunch of cakes.

Bought an apple of archer.
Sent archer back to geographers now that I've restocked on fire arrows.
Took the screenshot with the crew, logged off for the night.

Edited by Faolain, 12 April 2016 - 11:29 PM.

#12 Fritjof

Fritjof

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 April 2016 - 09:50 AM

added "why..?" section, updated tips and guild section...

~~~~~

Day 4

• Rogue is level 67/35 now, Mukas/dragonfly are still lucrative but if I hear another one of those cacti making that screeching noise I'm going to scream. I think after maintenance I'm going to spend some time in Toy Factory 2 just to mix things up.
  • I'm up to 12m in zeny now, getting closer every day to that ice pick (str gears afterwards?) The ice pick is the first thing I'm after because it's effective for leveling/hunting on both the rogue AND the merchant(mammonite spam on goats w/ an ice pick makes a profit and is great exp/hr), it's easy to resell if I ever want to get rid of it at some point(an important consideration for any upgrade) and it's a weapon upgrade which is applicable to a very large number of maps (more-so than a carded gladius would be for example). All in all it's a fantastic first purchase, once I am able to start on goats the zeny will really start pouring in.
  • Although I'm enjoying the rogue, I think when I make another character it's going to be a wizard.
  • Did I mention how sick of Mukas I am?

@rockymom

Thank you for the kind words and support :)

Edited by Fritjof, 14 April 2016 - 10:00 AM.

#13 kingbapho

kingbapho

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 125 posts
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 14 April 2016 - 01:01 PM

well the true classic challenge is just missing having to fight against like 3000 zeny farming bots.

#14 Zoltor

Zoltor

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1345 posts

Posted 14 April 2016 - 01:15 PM

To fritjof:

At that lv, if I recall(it was ages ago, but I think It's where I was) wasn't it better to hunt Skeleton Soldiers in Payon Dungeon?

Now this one is a 100% certainty, at lv 76 I started doing Magma, no joke. It may sound crazy to be thinking of such, but trust me, It's super fast leveling, if you end up dying here, and there, don't worry, you'll lv up so fast, the lost xp wont matter.

Leveling should be pretty damn fast until lv 92/93 atleast. If you have really good gear, you can get the next 3-4 levels pretty fast in chiv 2.

After that though, Rogues are a nightmare to get the last 3 levels.

Edited by Zoltor, 14 April 2016 - 01:17 PM.

#15 Valadez

Valadez

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 372 posts

Posted 14 April 2016 - 01:18 PM

Nice idea. Makes me want to come play Classic. I think I may just do that.

#16 Fritjof

Fritjof

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 April 2016 - 01:24 PM

To fritjof:

At that lv, if I recall(it was ages ago, but I think It's where I was) wasn't it better to hunt Skeleton Soldiers in Payon Dungeon?

Now this one is a 100% certainty, at lv 76 I started doing Magma, no joke. It may sound crazy to be thinking of such, but trust me, It's super fast leveling, if you end up dying here, and there, don't worry, you'll lv up so fast, the lost xp wont matter.

Leveling should be pretty damn fast until lv 92/93 atleast. If you have really good gear, you can get the next 3-4 levels pretty fast in chiv 2.

After that though, Rogues are a nightmare to get the last 3 levels.

Soldier skeletons? Do you mean in terms of exp or for loot? They have a fairly low exp : hp ratio and don't yield anything valuable other than their cards. Granted, they ARE included in the spotlight if I go to pyramids and hunt them.

Now magma does seem pretty decent after having a brief look; If I focus on hunting the explosions and blazers their exp:hp ratios are good, their drops are also quite nice (high OC value misc items as well as mastella fruit and white herbs at fairly high rates). Given the defense of just about everything in there though I think I would need to get an ice pick first.

My priority isn't leveling as fast as possible really though, it's making as much zeny as I can FIRST then leveling SECOND. I think right now the long term goal is to outfit and utilize the rogue for farming (staying at 99/50 for a while too) in order to outfit and level the merchant for MvPing as a mastersmith. This is WAY down the line though, I have quite a lot of road to tread before I get there :D

@Valadez

do eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet :p_omg:

Edited by Fritjof, 14 April 2016 - 01:25 PM.

#17 Zoltor

Zoltor

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1345 posts

Posted 14 April 2016 - 01:36 PM

Soldier skeletons? Do you mean in terms of exp or for loot? They have a fairly low exp : hp ratio and don't yield anything valuable other than their cards. Granted, they ARE included in the spotlight if I go to pyramids and hunt them.

Now magma does seem pretty decent after having a brief look; If I focus on hunting the explosions and blazers their exp:hp ratios are good, their drops are also quite nice (high OC value misc items as well as mastella fruit and white herbs at fairly high rates). Given the defense of just about everything in there though I think I would need to get an ice pick first.

My priority isn't leveling as fast as possible really though, it's making as much zeny as I can FIRST then leveling SECOND. I think right now the long term goal is to outfit and utilize the rogue for farming (staying at 99/50 for a while too) in order to outfit and level the merchant for MvPing as a mastersmith. This is WAY down the line though, I have quite a lot of road to tread before I get there :D

@Valadez

That was a weird period in the creation of my Rogue, I could have very well picked that map mainly for loot(to help support my rogue gear wise, and just happened to level up in the process), that's why I wasn't 100% sure on that.

No you don't, this is the beuty of the Magma map, get a VVV Strong Ice Demascus.

I wasn't able to afford a Ice Pick until I was well into farming Raydricks in Chiv 2, so you're Golden.

You can fight everything in there, but I would suggest avoiding Titans until 85ish.

If zenny is your main goal, doesn't really change anything, since both Magma, and especially chiv 2 are prime zenny making maps, so in your case, you'll be killing two birds with one stone, both mad(and steady zenny gain), and xp.

Edited by Zoltor, 14 April 2016 - 01:45 PM.

#18 Valadez

Valadez

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 372 posts

Posted 14 April 2016 - 01:44 PM

@Valadez

I will tomorrow I think. Might make a Taekwon for funsies. Was going to go Thief but I've done that a million times.

#19 Fritjof

Fritjof

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 April 2016 - 02:35 PM

That was a weird period in the creation of my Rogue, I could have very well picked that map mainly for loot(to help support my rogue gear wise, and just happened to level up in the process), that's why I wasn't 100% sure on that.

No you don't, this is the beuty of the Magma map, get a VVV Strong Ice Demascus.

I wasn't able to afford a Ice Pick until I was well into farming Raydricks in Chiv 2, so you're Golden.

You can fight everything in there, but I would suggest avoiding Titans until 85ish.

If zenny is your main goal, doesn't really change anything, since both Magma, and especially chiv 2 are prime zenny making maps, so in your case, you'll be killing two birds with one stone, both mad(and steady zenny gain), and xp.

With 90 str and a VVS ice damascus +5(at level 76), calc shows that I would be hitting blazers for less than 200 dmg per strike, and it would take me 18.51 seconds to kill them on average. A +4 ice pick puts me at 12s per blazer, but even that would be slow without an ice endow (which wouldn't be economical at 24k per scroll per 3 min). It's possible that version differences (I know absolutely nothing about renewal mechanics for example, I've not spent more than 10 minutes playing) play a very large difference in particular stats and mechanics. Everything else in magma has 35 def or more other than Kahos.

Keep in mind that the account is 4 days old, so even "decent" equipment is out of my reach for now. The ice pick is something I've been working for the entirety of my rogue's existence.

#20 Zoltor

Zoltor

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1345 posts

Posted 14 April 2016 - 02:54 PM

With 90 str and a VVS ice damascus +5(at level 76), calc shows that I would be hitting blazers for less than 200 dmg per strike, and it would take me 18.51 seconds to kill them on average. A +4 ice pick puts me at 12s per blazer, but even that would be slow without an ice endow (which wouldn't be economical at 24k per scroll per 3 min). It's possible that version differences (I know absolutely nothing about renewal mechanics for example, I've not spent more than 10 minutes playing) play a very large difference in particular stats and mechanics. Everything else in magma has 35 def or more other than Kahos.

Keep in mind that the account is 4 days old, so even "decent" equipment is out of my reach for now. The ice pick is something I've been working for the entirety of my rogue's existence.

Actually it should be closer to 400, because Double Attack(like 375 to be more exact(atleast that's the damage I was doing around that time) due to Blazers higher def vs you at 76), they go down surprising fast.

What's your FLEE gear like?

In general though, yes until you get to lv 80 or so, you'll be scamming whites, I said at 76 It's crazy for a reason, but the xp is so great, It's a very worthwhile trade off.

Yes, when you literally first get to magma(at lv 76), you wont be making jack zenny wise, but in a 1/2 of a day-1 day, you'll get to 85ish, and the map will become a great zenny making map.

It's such a good zenny making map infact, that even though you said you want to prioritize zenny, you'll be making faster zenny doing this, then just grinding/farming on the much lower quality maps that are more immediately appropriate with 76.

Edited by Zoltor, 14 April 2016 - 02:55 PM.

#21 Fritjof

Fritjof

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 April 2016 - 02:57 PM

Actually it should be closer to 400, because Double Attack(like 375 to be more exact(atleast that's the damage I was doing around that time) due to Blazers higher def vs you at 76), they go down surprising fast.

What's your FLEE gear like?

In general though, yes until you get to lv 80 or so, you'll be scamming whites, I said at 76 It's crazy for a reason, but the xp is so great, It's a very worthwhile trade off.

Yes, when you literally first get to magma(at lv 76), you wont be making jack zenny wise, but in a 1/2 of a day-1 day, you'll get to 85ish, and the map will become a great zenny making map.

It's such a good zenny making map infact, that even though you said you want to prioritize zenny, you'll be making faster zenny doing this, then just grinding/farming on the much lower quality maps that are more immediately appropriate with 76.

My flee gear is currently a pantie and undershirt :D

It's something to consider, when I get to around that level I'll give it a try. Thanks a lot for the info.

#22 Zoltor

Zoltor

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1345 posts

Posted 14 April 2016 - 03:05 PM

My flee gear is currently a pantie and undershirt :D

It's something to consider, when I get to around that level I'll give it a try. Thanks a lot for the info.

Any extra skill points you may have to allocate after the must haves, I would get Back Stab max or as high as you can, because that with a endowed weapon does godly damage, plus magma enemies can't see you while you're hiding/stalking(It's not really needed later on, but it definitely helps in the lower levels).

PS. That's decent FLEE gear, certainly better then what I had at the time.

Besides a Wisper Card, when you can, try to get the best accessory you can find, "of Flash" whenever you can. The Accessories of Flash, are super dirt cheap these days, so they'll give you a pretty sizeable FLEE, with needing to invest much of anything.

Edited by Zoltor, 14 April 2016 - 03:50 PM.

#23 Valadez

Valadez

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 372 posts

Posted 14 April 2016 - 03:45 PM

Double Attack is a Thief skill, not a Rogue skill. He definitely has Double Attack.

#24 Zoltor

Zoltor

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1345 posts

Posted 14 April 2016 - 03:47 PM

Double Attack is a Thief skill, not a Rogue skill. He definitely has Double Attack.

Lol yea, I haven't slept in 3 days, and in general I'm not feeling well.

#25 Valadez

Valadez

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 372 posts

Posted 14 April 2016 - 03:58 PM

You should definitely get some sleep.  :yawn:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users