Ragnarok and how good is it still? - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

Ragnarok and how good is it still?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
86 replies to this topic

#1 ShinobiEX3

ShinobiEX3

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6862 posts
  • LocationForest
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online

Posted 10 April 2016 - 08:53 PM

Just a random question.
Is Ragnarok online still a relevant mmorpg game to dive yourself into? Or is it just a old game trying to stay alive until it's hind legs give out?

Your thoughts please. I would like to know the community thoughts on this.

#2 fuyukikun

fuyukikun

Disney Prince in Disguise

• Members
  • 12269 posts
  • LocationIndonesia
  • Server:Chaos, on hiatus

Posted 10 April 2016 - 08:59 PM

no. the fact that i am still playing this game is already irrelevant with my life

#3 Mikael31

Mikael31

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 542 posts
  • Server:Thor

Posted 10 April 2016 - 09:02 PM

For me, If I have the money and a good internet connection, I'll play a p2p MMO. I have no choice but to play iRO plus it's lightweight - as long as I have my flash disk, I can play anywhere with PC + internet.

#4 Zoltor

Zoltor

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1345 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 09:33 PM

It's definitely still worth it, infact it has become even more worth playing over the years.

This MMO, blows away every other MMO, in so many ways. the amount of jobs/play styles, equipment customization, enemy design, for the most part, the skill sets, longevity, end game activities, PvP(as in the WoE variation, not the reg PvP system), insanelt big world, with more then enough content to fill it, ect.

#5 StephenCarl

StephenCarl

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 233 posts
  • Server:Chaos / Thor

Posted 10 April 2016 - 09:35 PM

if i were a newbie, i'll say no because RO isn't newbie friendly anymore... i'd rather play on a diverse MMO rather than spending my time figuring out how to get rich easily without spending a ton of real time money..

#6 Zoltor

Zoltor

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1345 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 09:40 PM

if i were a newbie, i'll say no because RO isn't newbie friendly anymore... i'd rather play on a diverse MMO rather than spending my time figuring out how to get rich easily without spending a ton of real time money..

Not newbie friendly?  Pretty much everything about renewal helps newbies out a insane amount, so I don't know what you're talking about.

RO is more newbie friendly now, then it has ever been.

#7 Mikael31

Mikael31

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 542 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 09:44 PM

Not newbie friendly?  Pretty much everything about renewal helps newbies out a insane amount, so I don't know what you're talking about.

RO is more newbie friendly now, then it has ever been.

He's talking about the economy - where items are in insane amount of Zeny for a beginner. Yeah, you're right on those new guide systems, but it's hard for playing without spending real money for cash shop items.

#8 Zoltor

Zoltor

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1345 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 09:51 PM

He's talking about the economy - where items are in insane amount of Zeny for a beginner. Yeah, you're right on those new guide systems, but it's hard for playing without spending real money for cash shop items.

It only looks like a lot to newbies, because in every other MMO, money is a lot harder to make. In RO, you can make millions in no time, and nevermind if you happen to get a super rare to drop.

Most cash shop items aren't must haves, and the ones that are more useful, either surprisingly don't go up that high or are meant for higher lv characters(so high, that zenny shouldn't be much of a problem by the time you would be expected to have such), not to mention there's many alternative items in the game, for whatever situation you may find your self in.

Edited by Zoltor, 10 April 2016 - 10:03 PM.

#9 ChakriGuard

ChakriGuard

Azzylike

• Members
  • 10853 posts
  • Server:Renew Chaos

Posted 10 April 2016 - 09:55 PM

Nope if I was a newbie, I would say bye to iRO within a week or so lmfao

I dont log in iRO if it is not for WoE. Why? Because killing multiple cheaters (baddies with cheats) cant get any better and enjoyable xD

Now cry more humans! :p_devil: :p_angel:

#10 Mikael31

Mikael31

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 542 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 10:03 PM

It only looks like a lot to newbies, because in every other MMO, money is a lot harder to make. In RO, you can make millions in no time, and nevermind if you happen to get a super rare to drop.

Most cash shop items aren't must haves, and the ones that are more useful, either surprising don't go up that high or are meant for higher lv characters(so high, that zenny shouldn't be much of a problem by the time you would be expected to have such).

I dunno what other MMOs you're talking to, but I'm playing another MMO  that monsters always drops in-game currency and you can craft in-game items just by grinding dungeons.

And oh, I was referring on utilizing Kafra Shop Items by selling items bought by that to other players for zeny. Zeny not a problem? Pay Thor a visit or even ragial, lots of end-game items but no one is buying. And it's difficult to produce Zeny to buy those in Thor now, because almost everyone is doing the farm-able instance every single chance that they have.

#11 Zoltor

Zoltor

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1345 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 10:14 PM

I dunno what other MMOs you're talking to, but I'm playing another MMO  that monsters always drops in-game currency and you can craft in-game items just by grinding dungeons.

And oh, I was referring on utilizing Kafra Shop Items by selling items bought by that to other players for zeny. Zeny not a problem? Pay Thor a visit or even ragial, lots of end-game items but no one is buying. And it's difficult to produce Zeny to buy those in Thor now, because almost everyone is doing the farm-able instance every single chance that they have.

Um, every enemy in RO, effectively drops money as well, ie the loot, you just need to pick it up, and sell it to the NPC/vend it if you get better stuff.

That's actually a good thing for both sides Isn't it, as it enables someone who doesn't want to spend real money, to still beable to get such things.

Lol Thor has no market, what do you expect, on Chaos none of that is a issue, and also due to more merchants vending, not only does it make any item easier to get, it also helps to keep the prices much lower as well.

In MMOs, especially when there's a player created economy, the more players, the better is a universal truth.

Edited by Zoltor, 10 April 2016 - 10:32 PM.

#12 OniichanN

OniichanN

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1812 posts
  • LocationCroatia
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 10 April 2016 - 10:28 PM

At the end of the day, it'll depend on you OP. Log in and play for a bit.

Are you having fun? If yes, great, RO is worth your time. If no, sucks, but what can you do, try to find another game to entertain you.

Ps.

This kind of threads are kinda pointless since it'll depend on the individual. inb4 we turn into r/mmorpg kek

#13 CadburyChocolate

CadburyChocolate

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3553 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 10:36 PM

Today? Definetly no, there are many new games out their esp ***. Others might not realize it but most of us are staying because of the time we invested in this game and its too hard to leave. Others stay coz of RMT issues, they're making it for a living

#14 Zoltor

Zoltor

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1345 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 10:48 PM

Today? Definetly no, there are many new games out their esp ***. Others might not realize it but most of us are staying because of the time we invested in this game and its too hard to leave. Others stay coz of RMT issues, they're making it for a living

You'll never find a game that offers even half of what RO offers. I looked around real good too, you know nearly all those newer MMOs you speak of suck. There's a few pretty good ones out there, and one I would call great(while I put it in second place, It's still very far from being as good as RO). Only one of those gets reg expansions, so yea good luck trying to find another MMO worth sticking to(and in any case you would come back to RO before long, as it offers so much more then any other MMO ever made)

Edited by Zoltor, 10 April 2016 - 10:48 PM.

#15 Mikael31

Mikael31

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 542 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 10:55 PM

Um, every enemy in RO, effectively drops money as well, ie the loot, you just need to pick it up, and sell it to the NPC/vend it if you get better stuff.

That's actually a good thing for both sides Isn't it, as it enables someone who doesn't want to spend real money, to still beable to get such things.

Lol Thor has no market, what do you expect, on Chaos none of that is a issue, and also due to more merchants vending, not only does it make any item easier to get, it also helps to keep the prices much lower as well.

In MMOs, especially when there's a player created economy, the more players, the better is a universal truth.

I would like to see you try earning your 1st million from scratch - It is not newbie friendly.

No market? What is your basis? Stop arguing with baseless opinions like this please.

+9 FAW is as low as 400m-500m in Chaos. 1st million, now this 9-digit amount. Going back, it's not newbie friendly.

Yeah you can play casually as a free player but it will take you months (if lucky) or years if you're going as far as end-gaming being a free player.

Now tell me also how to get more players in this more-than-a-decade-game to have that universal truth of yours which is kinda blurred to me.

#16 Zoltor

Zoltor

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1345 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 11:17 PM

I would like to see you try earning your 1st million from scratch - It is not newbie friendly.

No market? What is your basis? Stop arguing with baseless opinions like this please.

+9 FAW is as low as 400m-500m in Chaos. 1st million, now this 9-digit amount. Going back, it's not newbie friendly.

Yeah you can play casually as a free player but it will take you months (if lucky) or years if you're going as far as end-gaming being a free player.

Now tell me also how to get more players in this more-than-a-decade-game to have that universal truth of yours which is kinda blurred to me.

Um, I have, and remember such clearly, Culverts :)

I tried making a char there in the past, just to see how bad it is, and Prontera was a ghost town=enough said.  +9FAW is not a must have at all really, and definitely not for a newbie that's for damn sure.

Lol since when the hell is months considered a long time, and considering that you don't need god items or MvP cards for end game activities It's pretty easy to get the zenny you need. A few years of leveling, getting all the gear you need, learning your char, ect to get to end game, is not by any means a long time.

I didn't even realize I made so much money in such a short time, but I evident'y made 2.5b in 3 years(and not 3 full years either, was only playing here' and there), over 2b of that was made without selling Kafra items.

I bought a +9 FAW, tons of middle/low headgears, and a Asprika. Easily worth the time I say :)  WTF is it with this new era of gaming, where people expect to be instantly at lv cap, with all the best gears in the game, without needing to put effort into obtaining such.

It's a MMO for crying out loud, they're not stupid mobile games. Anyone playing a MMO, should prepare for the long haul in one way or another.  If you could do/have everything in just a few months, there would be no reason to stay.

Edited by Zoltor, 10 April 2016 - 11:25 PM.

#17 hotel

hotel

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1571 posts
  • Playing:Pogo's Lounge
  • Server:shock town

Posted 10 April 2016 - 11:24 PM

Renewal made RO more newbie friendly than ever before, but it's still way harder to get into than most other popular MMOs out there.

#18 JonahElbert

JonahElbert

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 11:28 PM

Some newbies will really find the market intimidating, more so as the vending cap was lifted to 1B. But I pretty much like RO, the graphics, gameplay, and all. All the other MMOs look crap to me.

#19 Ashuckel

Ashuckel

'-' intensifies

• Members
  • 18996 posts
  • LocationJohto, Hoenn, Unova, Kalos, Alola

Posted 10 April 2016 - 11:33 PM

Someone's purpose here seems to just always be contrary to others '-'

Renewal made the game easier, community made the game less enjoyable to start, and for someone starting, it looks way harder to obtain good gears than in most other mmo.

#20 fuyukikun

fuyukikun

Disney Prince in Disguise

• Members
  • 12269 posts
  • LocationIndonesia
  • Server:Chaos, on hiatus

Posted 11 April 2016 - 12:00 AM

i dunno where this thread will go

#21 OniichanN

OniichanN

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1812 posts
  • LocationCroatia

Posted 11 April 2016 - 12:11 AM

i dunno where this thread will go

I'm expecting Cinamod to body some fools but eh, it's kinda tame for now... =/

#22 Usurper

Usurper

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1743 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 11 April 2016 - 12:39 AM

All RO players are either returning players or loyal players that have been playing since the release of the game. Sorry but there is now way a newbie would stick to playing this game once he/she finds out how much they need to cash out before getting satisfied with their own character. 

I'm pretty sure the youngest generation of players in RO are the ones who got a feel of it during it's early stages(year 2000's).

Edited by Usurper, 11 April 2016 - 12:44 AM.

#23 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • Twitter:@nekoxellie
  • LocationValhalla
  • Server:Europe ban!

Posted 11 April 2016 - 12:44 AM

If RO was advertised it'd be relevant.

#24 3025140119203620510

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 716 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 12:54 AM

I would say it is generally not newbie friendly, especially for free 2 play player.  If you're playing for fun, I think AB or Support class made the best classes. AB is easy to find party, low startup cost, and you can use Eden gear all the way to 175. Maybe few zeny here and there for Blue gem, but that's about it. Join a guild and slowly earn your zeny by doing fun stuff like instances instead of mindlessly grind and grind for years to come. You probably ended up quitting out of boredom after 100th Endless Tower run by the time you can afford the end game gears so you can do more Endless Tower run.

Renewal is very extremely gear dependent, especially for attack class. Almost anything decent to help leveling must be earned through cash shop or limited time cash shop event.  WPH, HBP, RWH, Vana save you TONs of zeny in a long run, and they are all cash shop items. Otherwise you're going to be spending a lot of zeny that you don't have on expensive consumables. Yeah you can farm mobs, loots, and make 100k-500k zeny an hour selling loots. 

The other poster is trying hard grinding and he only made 2B in 2 years. If you look at end game gears, each of them usually cost 1B - 32B.  That's not very new player friendly. 

From my experience, there are roughly 3 ways newer player earn their way to the end game. 

1. Try hard type. Boy, these people spend countless hours grinding / trading / etc / etc. More hours than any reasonable gamer would put in a games. Is this suppose to be a game or a job? 

2. Pay 2 Win type. These people enjoy RO, but hates the grind. They usually make more money in real life than an hour in RO grinding. So they decide to buy their way to the end game via Cash Shop. Go to Eden and see for yourself S>100KP/12M S>WPE/160M etc etc.  $50 - $200 will easily give you decent gear for starter. 

3. Cheaters. Botters / RMTers are usually not caught. I know quite a few of them. I am not talking about gold seller, but the average joe botters / RMTers. These people enjoy the end game of RO, but hate the grind. The economy is crap and they don't want to pay for Cash Shop, so they ended up botting / RMT to compete.

#25 Zoltor

Zoltor

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1345 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 01:10 AM

If RO was advertised it'd be relevant.

^A million times this.

Anyone not from pRO/pretty much any non-iRO only players reading this thread, should realize a very big defining difference.  They had awesome advertising campaigns, while iRO has never had much of any type of advertising worth a damn.

The only thing keeping iRO really afloat all these years, is that #1 It's the most stable server out of all the servers in RO history(Less botting, GMs don't really abuse their powers/giving away unique OPwd equips, ect, despite how it feels some times, we do get expansions faster then almost any other server, ect), which inturn has created a environment that once you start playing on iRO, there's no reason to leave for good(people may take breaks, but they always return).

You would think since 3rd jobs encourage vip more then ever(even though I always paid anyway, to help support the servers), and the fact they no longer need to pay for expansions, they would atleast use some of that mad money they make, to actually advertise the game.

Advertising is cheaper now then ever before, yet iRO still doesn't advertise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users