Ragnarok and how good is it still? - Page 2 - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

Ragnarok and how good is it still?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
86 replies to this topic

#26 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • Twitter:@nekoxellie
  • LocationValhalla
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Europe ban!

Posted 11 April 2016 - 01:59 AM

Advertising is free, twitch is powerful. Happy customers are a great tool.

#27 JonahElbert

JonahElbert

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 162 posts
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 11 April 2016 - 02:08 AM

^ True. Good for me I accidentally found the iRO client.

You see, a new private server had just launched in the Philippines and it's immediately packed. The players are those who in the past had played the game but stopped. Now they're hyped. By my wild guess they never heard of pRO migration, as many did already retire before pRO's last breath. What made them feel the game again? Good [online] advertisement. That pServer's ads were just all over the place. A good and simple advertisement would easily trigger the deeply embedded nostalgia.

#28 Zoltor

Zoltor

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1345 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 02:09 AM

Advertising is free, twitch is powerful. Happy customers are a great tool.

Well yea it technically can be, but we must assume a company involving them selves in such, are going to claim they are paying someone to do such(when really they aren't, they would just have someone who already works for them, be allocated to a advertising position, so it really wouldn't cost them any money, then they are already spending).

Also a "official", often used Youtube channel would be amazing as well(might as well create a FB page while they are at it too).

Edited by Zoltor, 11 April 2016 - 02:11 AM.

#29 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 11 April 2016 - 02:20 AM

Well that's Oda's job, Zoltor.

Also

https://www.twitch.tv/warpportal/

https://www.youtube....ravityUS/videos

https://twitter.com/playragnarok

https://www.facebook.com/playragnarok/

All the social media in the world won't help if they aren't providing acceptable service to customers/producing content for those people to pass on ;P

#30 ShinobiEX3

ShinobiEX3

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6862 posts
  • LocationForest

Posted 11 April 2016 - 06:35 AM

At the end of the day, it'll depend on you OP. Log in and play for a bit.

Are you having fun? If yes, great, RO is worth your time. If no, sucks, but what can you do, try to find another game to entertain you.

Ps.

This kind of threads are kinda pointless since it'll depend on the individual. inb4 we turn into r/mmorpg kek

wot. I made this thread just to hear everyone's thoughts. thats about it. So to me this thread has a point. ^.^ thank you and continue giving your opinion.

#31 Zoltor

Zoltor

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1345 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 06:39 AM

Well that's Oda's job, Zoltor.

Also

https://www.twitch.tv/warpportal/

https://www.youtube....ravityUS/videos

https://twitter.com/playragnarok

https://www.facebook.com/playragnarok/

All the social media in the world won't help if they aren't providing acceptable service to customers/producing content for those people to pass on ;P

I think I vaguely knew about the twitch(that's where he does/did that pointless podcast, right(If it was prerenewal, back when we were getting 4 expansions a year, a podcast would make sense, but post renewal, It's completely pointless. Needless to say, he was very late to the party with that idea).

I didn't even know about the others though.

Also so true sigh. 

#32 ChaoticRK

ChaoticRK

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3228 posts
  • Locationprt_fild08
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 11 April 2016 - 07:13 AM

I dunno but RO had survived for more than a decade so? Any MMOs out there don't last that long. They die young before they reaches puberty. Though this is only from my point of view and where I live. I'd like to name some but it would be bad for them.  :heh:

Though if you are really a newbie, the RO today is not very friendly unless you resort to the fastest way of life inside RO. Back then, having a pipe or an angel wing means you're cool but today angel wings cost just the same back then.  :heh:

RO is still good to play as long as you have an idea on how MMORPG works and you don't beg, coz that's one of the taboo in MMORPGs.

#33 3025140119203620510

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 716 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 07:44 AM

When I started the playing RO, I windowed mode begging in izlude for 2 days while watching a show and made roughly 20m. 100k here, 1M there, adds up really quickly. So that's actually a valid strategy. You just remake the character once you have a decent funds to get started. 

#34 Ashuckel

Ashuckel

'-' intensifies

• Members
  • 18996 posts
  • LocationJohto, Hoenn, Unova, Kalos, Alola

Posted 11 April 2016 - 07:49 AM

God

#35 Oda

Oda

Overseas

• Community Managers
  • 10261 posts
  • Twitter:@Oda_CM
  • LocationAmatsu

Posted 11 April 2016 - 07:51 AM

^A million times this.

Anyone not from pRO/pretty much any non-iRO only players reading this thread, should realize a very big defining difference.  They had awesome advertising campaigns, while iRO has never had much of any type of advertising worth a damn.

The only thing keeping iRO really afloat all these years, is that #1 It's the most stable server out of all the servers in RO history(Less botting, GMs don't really abuse their powers/giving away unique OPwd equips, ect, despite how it feels some times, we do get expansions faster then almost any other server, ect), which inturn has created a environment that once you start playing on iRO, there's no reason to leave for good(people may take breaks, but they always return).

You would think since 3rd jobs encourage vip more then ever(even though I always paid anyway, to help support the servers), and the fact they no longer need to pay for expansions, they would atleast use some of that mad money they make, to actually advertise the game.

Advertising is cheaper now then ever before, yet iRO still doesn't advertise.

The problem we've had in the past when we last did traditional style web advertising was that while we did have new people come in, it still ended up with us spending a lot of money on each new person which was not being balanced out with the new players spending/subscribing to justify the expenditure.

I think that better targeting of ads and new places to advertise would get us better results so it's something I'd like to revive. Just describing our prior experience that caused us to pull back from advertising. 

#36 KamiKali

KamiKali

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 5143 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 11 April 2016 - 08:02 AM

a player would spend if they were satisfied with the team running game just sayin'

#37 Morlord

Morlord

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1433 posts
  • LocationOver There-->
  • Server:Odin

Posted 11 April 2016 - 08:02 AM

^A million times this.

Anyone not from pRO/pretty much any non-iRO only players reading this thread, should realize a very big defining difference.  They had awesome advertising campaigns, while iRO has never had much of any type of advertising worth a damn.

The only thing keeping iRO really afloat all these years, is that #1 It's the most stable server out of all the servers in RO history(Less botting, GMs don't really abuse their powers/giving away unique OPwd equips, ect, despite how it feels some times, we do get expansions faster then almost any other server, ect), which inturn has created a environment that once you start playing on iRO, there's no reason to leave for good(people may take breaks, but they always return).

You would think since 3rd jobs encourage vip more then ever(even though I always paid anyway, to help support the servers), and the fact they no longer need to pay for expansions, they would atleast use some of that mad money they make, to actually advertise the game.

Advertising is cheaper now then ever before, yet iRO still doesn't advertise.

LOLWUT

Edited by Morlord, 11 April 2016 - 08:03 AM.

#38 Ashuckel

Ashuckel

'-' intensifies

• Members
  • 18996 posts
  • LocationJohto, Hoenn, Unova, Kalos, Alola

Posted 11 April 2016 - 08:05 AM

a player would spend if they were satisfied with the team running game just sayin'

That hurt :v

#39 ShinobiEX3

ShinobiEX3

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6862 posts
  • LocationForest

Posted 11 April 2016 - 08:17 AM

When I started the playing RO, I windowed mode begging in izlude for 2 days while watching a show and made roughly 20m. 100k here, 1M there, adds up really quickly. So that's actually a valid strategy. You just remake the character once you have a decent funds to get started.

I'll never give out zeny or free equips again. Thanks for telling me this.

#40 Zoltor

Zoltor

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1345 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 08:27 AM

To Morlord: You have no idea, servers like jRO, and EuRO are more corrupt then American politicians. Go to a EuRO forum or what not, and it will piss you off to no end, botting is so accepted there, that players are allowed to suggest(and do so on a daily basis) botting programs, It's that bad.

To Oda: Well you have to play the long term game, as far as advertising goes, I'm not gonna mention this one MMO by name, as It's pretty damn awesome, but there's this one MMO that made it so, 3 out of every  4 advertisement on the net, was of that one game, and they kept that up for a insane 5 years straight.

Then ofcourse you have that POS WoW game. Do you really think people play that, because they think It's good? There's two reasons people play that, one is because they are Blizzard fans that play it due to company loyalty, and the other reason is, sadly most people are too lazy to do even a simple search on the net, in hopes of finding a good MMO, so they start playing WoW, since It's constantly shoved in their faces. Those people then inturn beg their friends to play. Which leads to another issue, a lot of people will literally play any MMO, nomatter how crappy it is, for no other reason, then their friends play it.

Edited by Zoltor, 11 April 2016 - 08:34 AM.

#41 son12

son12

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 794 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 09:04 AM

You should be worshipped, just like a god.

It's definitely still worth it, infact it has become even more worth playing over the years.

This MMO, blows away every other MMO, in so many ways. the amount of jobs/play styles, equipment customization, enemy design, for the most part, the skill sets, longevity, end game activities, PvP(as in the WoE variation, not the reg PvP system), insanelt big world, with more then enough content to fill it, ect.

I agree with most of the parts, but for enemy design, RO is somehow inferior than other newer games I think, plus 50m HP monsters which can do nothing is just meh xD you know, like a punching bag, killing him is pure suffering from boredom lol

I dunno what other MMOs you're talking to, but I'm playing another MMO  that monsters always drops in-game currency and you can craft in-game items just by grinding dungeons.

And oh, I was referring on utilizing Kafra Shop Items by selling items bought by that to other players for zeny. Zeny not a problem? Pay Thor a visit or even ragial, lots of end-game items but no one is buying. And it's difficult to produce Zeny to buy those in Thor now, because almost everyone is doing the farm-able instance every single chance that they have.

Well, I have played this game for 10 years up to now, yet I think it's pretty much newbie friendly now, all you need is to learn and in additional, enjoy the game without rushing, without trying to reach too high goals, then you will be doing fine. That's for new people I think. Also, depends on your purposes playing this game, play for fun, play to win, etc.

Edited by son12, 11 April 2016 - 09:10 AM.

#42 Reaghann

Reaghann

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 347 posts
  • Server:pRO New Chaos, iRO Thor

Posted 11 April 2016 - 09:06 AM

What if GM team enforce strict implementation on bot banning? I always feel like new players are discouraged to play when meeting players that don't talk back to them, which I think is one of the reasons why I can say Ragnarok isn't newbie-friendly with its current environment. As a new player, they expect player-to-player interaction but geez, they would meet and cross paths with plentiful of bots first before they actually meet real players in the map. If we cannot eradicate, I hope at least we can lessen bots and make a good game environment for new players (and for existing players as well!). Issues about game economy is another thing but as what others have argued, I also think Renewal makes the game more newbie-friendly. With easier ways to gain level, they can make their characters  stronger in a short span of time and as they go along, they learn to adopt to the game mechanics, server economy and stuff. Plus, the addition of "farmable" instances which makes a good source of zeny.

The good thing about this game is that its mechanics and interface are not hard to understand as far as the vast resources of guides (whether be it inside forums or offsite) are concerned. Being one of the well-established MMORPGs, we have veterans playing this game for too long who are willing to give input and are kind enough to guide lost players, together with active community willing to help each other out. Considering the game, in general, has large player base (regardless of what kind of server), I still think Ragnarok can live up and co-exist with other new MMO games floating around now.

#43 Hopscotches

Hopscotches

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 390 posts
  • LocationRainbowfields
  • Server:Both

Posted 11 April 2016 - 09:25 AM

The answer to this question would be subjective. Some people say it's good enough while some don't. Those who say that it is would have reasons like because they have friends, they run instances, they own a guild, they use this as an escape from reality, etc. New gamers wouldn't really like RO because of its old-school feel and the vintage mark that has been labelled to it. Funny thing is, when you ask a couple of younger gamers if they know Ragnarok at least in my country, some would say "is that a new game?" or "that's what my bro played when I was a toddler!"

Personally, there are other similar games that I've tried but it's always RO that I always go back to. Playing Ragnarok Online is a sort of rite of passage. Like what some say, nobody really quits RO. 

Edited by Hopscotches, 11 April 2016 - 09:26 AM.

#44 ChakriGuard

ChakriGuard

Azzylike

• Members
  • 10855 posts
  • Server:Renew Chaos

Posted 11 April 2016 - 09:29 AM

Talking about removing bots ... I am playing another game right now and the server just started on 28th March 2016 (If Im not mistaken). Even the most basic subscription costs at least $10 to play, there are already bots running around haha

#45 teresias

teresias

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 652 posts
  • LocationWest Prontera / Geffen
  • Server:Loki / Chaos / Odin

Posted 11 April 2016 - 09:52 AM

Personally, there are other similar games that I've tried but it's always RO that I always go back to. Playing Ragnarok Online is a sort of rite of passage. Like what some say, nobody really quits RO. 

This is so true. 

#46 ShinobiEX3

ShinobiEX3

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6862 posts
  • LocationForest

Posted 11 April 2016 - 10:55 AM

So is everyone that is playing ro, just playing it out of just obligation or is it cause you love the game still?

#47 Zoltor

Zoltor

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1345 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 10:57 AM

So is everyone that is playing ro, just playing it out of just obligation or is it cause you love the game still?

I definitely still love RO :)

#48 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 11 April 2016 - 11:26 AM

For me it was a combination of enjoying the game, having a common place to stay with my guildmates/friends and a lingering loyalty to the staff who over the years used to work so hard. Knowing they are working at 4am, staying past their shifts, being available at butthole o'clock was them going above and beyond. That's why I stayed on iRO and didn't go to a pserver.

But to say the staff have been lackluster recently would be an understatement, the game I play (that being classic) is sorely neglected and performs at a level extremely subpar to unofficial servers. It wouldn't be so bad if the staff wanted to acknowledge classic as a separate game, treat it as such or fix some extremely serious glaring errors that have been reported time and time again.

#49 Ilindith

Ilindith

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1451 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 12:58 PM

Dying game or not, I'm having fun playing and still discovering things since I am relatively new.

That's relevant enough for me.

Never know how long that will last though.

#50 PervySageMarty

PervySageMarty

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3959 posts
  • LocationUnderground like a wild potato

Posted 11 April 2016 - 01:09 PM

Instead of asking if RO is newbie friendly, shouldnt we be asking if the newbies these days to MMO games are getting more sensitive and fragile?

I swear to God the younger generations these days are being pampered too much, they think everything has to be handed to them, while people like us back in the past had to drink cement and toughen up to get anywhere.

If anyone can find a game that allows character customizations as much as RO I would yield, but sadly no MMO outside can do half of what character customizations do on RO

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users