Ragnarok and how good is it still? - Page 3 - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

Ragnarok and how good is it still?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
86 replies to this topic

#51 PervySageMarty

PervySageMarty

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3956 posts
  • LocationUnderground like a wild potato
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 11 April 2016 - 01:17 PM

The problem we've had in the past when we last did traditional style web advertising was that while we did have new people come in, it still ended up with us spending a lot of money on each new person which was not being balanced out with the new players spending/subscribing to justify the expenditure.

I think that better targeting of ads and new places to advertise would get us better results so it's something I'd like to revive. Just describing our prior experience that caused us to pull back from advertising. 

I think we should be putting RO ads on <> sites, I am sure it will help generate more awareness around for our game.

I'm also sure alot of people in this forum actually go on those, for research purposes.

Edited by VModCinnamon, 11 April 2016 - 03:43 PM.
Removed, not appropriate.

#52 Erydanos

Erydanos

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1159 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 01:24 PM

All RO players are either returning players or loyal players that have been playing since the release of the game. Sorry but there is now way a newbie would stick to playing this game once he/she finds out how much they need to cash out before getting satisfied with their own character. 

I'm pretty sure the youngest generation of players in RO are the ones who got a feel of it during it's early stages(year 2000's).

That's not true, at least not in my case.  I started playing in 2014.  I find the game easy, you just need to look for the info you don't know (iROWiki exists for a reason).

Granted, I jump from RO to other games whenever I feel I need a break.

If RO was advertised it'd be relevant.

That is true.  I wanted to play RO2 but my laptop wasn't strong enough, so I settled for RO.  I knew it was a classic MMRPG, but never saw it advertised, to the point I thought it was no longer extant.

#53 Icarus05

Icarus05

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1051 posts
  • LocationPhilippines
  • Server:thor during woe

Posted 11 April 2016 - 03:00 PM

Ro is ...yes ...little left behind but compared to the other mmo. luckily this godly mmo is still alive(and many of people are saying what?!, RO is still a live!!) ,yup, but to be honest,we really need to have things that might create a bandwagon effect or sort of an effective advertisement in game and in the internet.

To be honest, RO's disadvantage is the graphics itself, more people are whining for greater graphics( i'm talking about people ages 15 and up) and one of my friend said "RO's graphics is so bad that i don't play"( i killed him more than 200 different possible ways in my head). but overall, RO's gaming system is in good quality, as well as the management of gravity is great ,(just kidding). 

ps: there are a lot of people who doesn't know this game is still exist, advertisement online is good ,especially in social media(this is why private servers are famous) 

#54 Ilindith

Ilindith

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1451 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 03:08 PM

If anyone can find a game that allows character customizations as much as RO I would yield, but sadly no MMO outside can do half of what character customizations do on RO

DDO.

#55 Mikael31

Mikael31

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 542 posts
  • Server:Thor

Posted 11 April 2016 - 04:07 PM

Well, I have played this game for 10 years up to now, yet I think it's pretty much newbie friendly now, all you need is to learn and in additional, enjoy the game without rushing, without trying to reach too high goals, then you will be doing fine. That's for new people I think. Also, depends on your purposes playing this game, play for fun, play to win, etc.

Almost the same dude. I'm just stating how hard playing iRO in a newbie's perspective. I'm quite happy playing now, although I mostly do WoE when I play. My +15 GJ still kicks hard.

#56 DeadIntern

DeadIntern

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1725 posts
  • Server:Renewal - Chaos

Posted 11 April 2016 - 04:49 PM

Instead of asking if RO is newbie friendly, shouldnt we be asking if the newbies these days to MMO games are getting more sensitive and fragile?

I swear to God the younger generations these days are being pampered too much, they think everything has to be handed to them, while people like us back in the past had to drink cement and toughen up to get anywhere.

Those younger generations are the product of the previous.

Edited by DeadIntern, 11 April 2016 - 05:01 PM.

#57 PervySageMarty

PervySageMarty

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3956 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 05:44 PM

Those younger generations are the product of the previous.

Are you accusing me of corrupting the minds of the younger generations because of my constant pervertedness on these forums and my constant philandering and trying to pick up Cinnamod, not to mention coercing Kaddy with private cam pics? because if you are, then you are..............ABSOLUTELY CORRECT!

#58 Ryuuzan

Ryuuzan

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 126 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 11 April 2016 - 05:51 PM

i keep coming back to play but after a week or two i give up.. then after a few months i come back and then after a few weeks of playing i quit again.. 

there is definitely something wrong here

#59 hotel

hotel

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1571 posts
  • Playing:Pogo's Lounge
  • Server:shock town

Posted 11 April 2016 - 06:00 PM

RO is on a downhill slope and has been for awhile and this isn't going to change unless both the iRO and kRO staff do something drastic.

Nothing really subjective about it.

Edited by hotel, 11 April 2016 - 06:01 PM.

#60 BoyAtlas

BoyAtlas

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 480 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 06:12 PM

to be brutally honest i probably wouldnt have played this game as long as i have if it wasnt for a friend of mine giving me advice and telling me how tough it can be to get geared on your own. seeing how you can easily lose millions just trying to upgrade one piece of gear and how thats normal. I played pRo years ago and got back on wondering wth have i gotten myself into

i personally play solo due to my hours but im sure playing in a guild always makes things better in someway also having friends to play with helps

#61 Zoltor

Zoltor

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1345 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 06:34 PM

DDO.

I played DDO for some time, and while people should be plying that instead of POS WoW, if they want to play a D&D based system(That's definitely a D&D based system done right, if nothing else. Does get bland and super repetitive, but nothing you can do about that, as that's the whole D&D format to beginwith), the customization in DDO, doesn't even come remotely close to RO.

Edited by Zoltor, 11 April 2016 - 06:39 PM.

#62 BoyAtlas

BoyAtlas

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 480 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 06:47 PM

I played DDO for some time, and while people should be plying that instead of POS WoW, if they want to play a D&D based system, the customization in DDO, doesn't even come remotely close to RO.

lol Ive played Wow since alpha and would never say Ro was better than vanilla wow or Tbc expansion but thats all personal opinion

I never had that feeling like ive wasted my time once ive died or lost so much gold trying to get sub par gear but at the same time wow was way more linear in a way compared to this game which to an extent wasnt a bad thing. but in a game like this maybe that pushes ppl away a little? idk.

My luck in this game is beyond bad but for some reason i continue to play it....and personally i feel like a huge part of it isbecause of nostalgia

Edited by BoyAtlas, 11 April 2016 - 06:49 PM.

#63 Zoltor

Zoltor

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1345 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 07:02 PM

lol Ive played Wow since alpha and would never say Ro was better than vanilla wow or Tbc expansion but thats all personal opinion

I never had that feeling like ive wasted my time once ive died or lost so much gold trying to get sub par gear but at the same time wow was way more linear in a way compared to this game which to an extent wasnt a bad thing. but in a game like this maybe that pushes ppl away a little? idk.

My luck in this game is beyond bad but for some reason i continue to play it....and personally i feel like a huge part of it isbecause of nostalgia

I think your problem, is your knowledge of RO/tactical planning on how to progress is of.

Only rarely is it a better idea to upgrade equips, apposed to buying higher tier equips altogether, especially before reaching end game. Also it should be pointed out, ugrading equips is a huge money sink, It's really not something meant for newer players to get heavily invested into. Also in general, you need to do research/know your character before buying stuff, it will help a great deal.

In DDO or any D&D based game for that matter, equipment is so basic, it really doesn't matter what you buy, which frankly is not a aspect you should be applauding.

Just keep playing, learn your char, and I'm sure you'll get the hang of it. As for luck in general, well luck favors the persistent, and trust me, it will eventually come, if you keep at it.

Edited by Zoltor, 11 April 2016 - 07:05 PM.

#64 BoyAtlas

BoyAtlas

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 480 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 07:10 PM

I think your problem, is your knowledge of RO/tactical planning on how to progress is of.

Only rarely is it a better idea to upgrade equips, apposed to buying higher tier equips altogether, especially before reaching end game. Also it should be pointed out, ugrading equips is a huge money sink, It's really not something meant for newer players to get heavily invested into. Also in general, you need to do research/know your character before buying stuff, it will help a great deal.

In DDO or any D&D based game for that matter, equipment is so basic, it really doesn't matter what you buy, which frankly is not a aspect you should be applauding.

Just keep playing, learn your char, and I'm sure you'll get the hang of it. As for luck in general, well luck favors the persistent, and trust me, it will eventually come, if you keep at it.

Im saying from a new player stand point half the players ive witnessed play this game have no idea what eden gear is 

WoW required gear but it wasnt a huge factor as opposed to skill(pvp wise) pvm it was needed but not a huge factor either(well up until recent expansions)

I do my research on the classes i play because i enjoy readin forums. Im pretty indecisive when it comes to gear and strats so i always look up things but not all players are like that

#65 CadburyChocolate

CadburyChocolate

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3553 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 08:08 PM

You'll never find a game that offers even half of what RO offers. I looked around real good too, you know nearly all those newer MMOs you speak of suck. There's a few pretty good ones out there, and one I would call great(while I put it in second place, It's still very far from being as good as RO). Only one of those gets reg expansions, so yea good luck trying to find another MMO worth sticking to(and in any case you would come back to RO before long, as it offers so much more then any other MMO ever made)

FYI, im sticking to RO becoz of the reasons i stated, but really dude, you need a reality check. RO is now down there and RO really really really really really really really needs to work hard to compete and reach out especially to the newer generation which is almost impossible to imagine

#66 ShinobiEX3

ShinobiEX3

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6862 posts
  • LocationForest

Posted 11 April 2016 - 08:23 PM

I see this is really good opinions and thoughts. This is helping greatly. Please continue

#67 Zoltor

Zoltor

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1345 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 08:45 PM

FYI, im sticking to RO becoz of the reasons i stated, but really dude, you need a reality check. RO is now down there and RO really really really really really really really needs to work hard to compete and reach out especially to the newer generation which is almost impossible to imagine

Appealing to the lowest common denomintator, is never ever under any circumstances a good thing. If that happened to RO, they should just shut down instead.  There's a reason RO is still very much alive, despite the non-existant advertising, It's because this game has a lot going for it, that no other MMO out there is even comparable in any way.

To BoyAtlas: That's the problem with most new school gamers, they don't even have two brain cells to rub together, so they complain about complexity, because they don't want to have to put any thought into playing a game.

We should just ignore those people, and any new people joining RO, we should give them advise on where to start, plus tell them to do research on jobs, as well as equipment, before deciding anything. RO doesn't encourage impulsive actions.

There's a reason RO has the best treasure hunting feature ever created(well 2 reasons actually, the fixed drop tables is the other reason), It's because how varied, and important equipment is.

You would do well, to put more thought into what equipment would best suit your character in a given situation, and then scale it to fit your monetary state(aka usually there are different tiers of equipment, that basically do the same thing, just to a different extent).

Edited by Zoltor, 11 April 2016 - 08:56 PM.

#68 3025140119203620510

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 716 posts

Posted 12 April 2016 - 12:48 AM

The bigger issue with RO is lack of information. The in-game item descriptions are often very inaccurate and misleading, which is a bigger issue for newer players to learn than having to deal with bots farming cheap strawberries. I often find myself frustrated having spent 20m on an item that didn't really work as the description said, and having to rely on forum discussion or the outdated iRO Wiki.

In addition, the worst thing about RO is that there are simply no information on how to obtain certain costume/gears/items, especially from iRO Wiki. New players love the look of Fallen Angel Wing, so he google it, but it doesn't really tell you where does it come from. Next thing he knows, he has to wait another year just to buy it from Cash Shop, then wait few more months to spend $20 upgrading it, then $10 more to enchant it. That's a big turn off for any players to be honest. Not only he can't earn his gear by playing, he has to throw money at the screen and wait months to do so. 

The bots have always been part of RO since the early days and many other MMORPGs. Bots are honestly not really the cause but a symptom of a poor game design, like many other MMO. I'd argue that the bots may actually kept iRO alive by keeping supplies of item cheap and readily available. It also keeps the healthy supply of zeny available to make the economy really liquid. People are always wanting to buy cheap and sell high. There are servers where people would vend forever but no buyers due to lack of zeny . Also RO simply don't have enough dedicated playerbase to farm WSS to make 500,000+ Slims per WoE anymore, especially at 1x~1.5x rate. I am sure most of you guys are not even grinding 10,000+ WSS a day. Even if WSS is selling at good price (maybe 5k a piece), hacking away same mobs at low spawn rate 100,000x time is not fun for anyone really, especially at sub 3,000 playerbase. You can buy the pots directly from Cash Shop but who would actually pay 100-200KP for each every TI run. I started RO back few months ago, and the Bots honestly doesn't bother me one bit. I see most of them from lvl 1-30, but that went by really quickly. You find most players to play with in TI, which doesn't have a lot of bots.  

RO has always been on the decline. I think it happens to every game. The majority of RO players don't play official anymore because of many reasons. Some have career and their time is valuable. Some don't like pay2win aspect. Or some just want to hop-in and enjoy the game instead of spending 400 hours to make one character just to play a couple of ET runs, few WoE, or PVP.  It doesn't mean that RO is dead by any chance. 

Edited by 3025140119203620510, 12 April 2016 - 01:06 AM.

#69 Zoltor

Zoltor

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1345 posts

Posted 12 April 2016 - 01:14 AM

The bigger issue with RO is lack of information. The in-game item descriptions are often very inaccurate and misleading, which is a bigger issue for newer players to learn than having to deal with bots farming cheap strawberries. I often find myself frustrated having spent 20m on an item that didn't really work as the description said, and having to rely on forum discussion or the outdated iRO Wiki.

In addition, the worst thing about RO is that there are simply no information on how to obtain certain costume/gears/items, especially from iRO Wiki. New players love the look of Fallen Angel Wing, so he google it, but it doesn't really tell you where does it come from. Next thing he knows, he has to wait another year just to buy it from Cash Shop, then wait few more months to spend $20 upgrading it, then $10 more to enchant it. That's a big turn off for any players to be honest. Not only he can't earn his gear by playing, he has to throw money at the screen and wait months to do so. 

The bots have always been part of RO since the early days and many other MMORPGs. Bots are honestly not really the cause but a symptom of a poor game design, like many other MMO. I'd argue that the bots may actually kept iRO alive by keeping supplies of item cheap and readily available. It also keeps the healthy supply of zeny available to make the economy really liquid. People are always wanting to buy cheap and sell high. There are servers where people would vend forever but no buyers due to lack of zeny . Also RO simply don't have enough dedicated playerbase to farm WSS to make 500,000+ Slims per WoE anymore, especially at 1x~1.5x rate. I am sure most of you guys are not even grinding 10,000+ WSS a day. Even if WSS is selling at good price (maybe 5k a piece), hacking away same mobs at low spawn rate 100,000x time is not fun for anyone really, especially at sub 3,000 playerbase. You can buy the pots directly from Cash Shop but who would would actually pay 100-200KP for each every TI run. I started RO back few months ago, and the Bots honestly doesn't bother me one bit. I see most of them from lvl 1-30, but that went by really quickly. You find most players to play with in TI, which doesn't have a lot of bots.  

RO is a niche MMORPG and doesn't need to be made for casual. Renewal is an example of RO going casual like WoW. I honestly say it has pretty much ruined the good old RO, especially in term of character customization and class balances. 

RO has always been on the decline. I think it happens to every game. The majority of RO players don't play official anymore because of many reasons. Some have career and their time is valuable. Some don't like pay2win aspect. Or some just want to hop-in and enjoy the game instead of spending 400 hours to make one character just to play a couple of ET runs, few WoE, or PVP.  It doesn't mean that RO is dead by any chance. 

I hate steam accounts in general for stuff like MMOs, and utility programs, but omfg what a backwater service it is, you not allow you to post on forums, with actual screen names.

Well anyway, yea that is kind of a problem, even though coming to the forums will lead you to all the info you need, whats not posted on the forums, can be found on very reliable fan sites, that people on the forums suggest all the time.

However with that said, it would be nice to have a in game encyclopedia like another MMO I know of, that's a master database for everything.

As for incorrect item info, not as big as a issue it use to be, nowhere even close actually, but that's all caused(for the most part anyway) by the fact the item's full functionality is sometimes split between two patches.

Same thing with new enemy additions, I will never understand why they add enemies, when their drop table items, aren't all ready as well, needless to say, such cuases all kinds of confusion, as well as makes new enemy seem very underwhelming to say the least.

#70 kokeshicat

kokeshicat

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 886 posts
  • LocationCamp Half-Blood

Posted 12 April 2016 - 01:19 AM

i think its still good. i used to invest so much on this game before but now that i'm just enjoying it, i think its fine way to kill time. :v 

i've tried 3D games-- including that... new one that full of saviours :heh: i ended coming back here.

RO is lightweight tbh. file size is smaller than the ones i've wanted to play on steam, etc. 

i don't get these kiddos saying RO's graphics sux. i mean cmon, ever heard of pixel art? didn't you just play Undertale lately? wth's wrong with these kids. LOL

RO's good. it keeps my imagination goin for art. we used to kid around on Ragnarok Online events here in my country whenever we observe ppl: like people walking too fast-- they're on increase agi. etc. 

advertising. i think yes you still need this. idk how you can do it but murica has so much resources and means of advertising than our country. :v

we play iRO here at work. it used to be only me. and then i found another player from my department. and then we got a dev playing too lately since he saw us playing RO during lunch lol. then it looks like were gonna pull another one from my department into the game LOL (i think that's one way to advertise) 

and oh. ive tried quitting a lot. i'd end up returning anyway.

#71 PervySageMarty

PervySageMarty

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3956 posts

Posted 12 April 2016 - 01:40 AM

The kids complainjng about RO graphics are playing minecraft, and that game looks messy in my eye.

#72 3025140119203620510

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 716 posts

Posted 12 April 2016 - 01:50 AM

Not really a steam issue but the way how Warp Portal integrate steam users I think. I funded my free KP and VIP through steam trading from various drops I get from multiple games. I don't really play using steam client. Steam overlay makes RO very laggy for some reason. 

#73 ShinobiEX3

ShinobiEX3

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6862 posts
  • LocationForest

Posted 12 April 2016 - 08:45 AM

I wonder how many of you people actually do the quest in the game!

#74 Ashuckel

Ashuckel

'-' intensifies

• Members
  • 18996 posts
  • LocationJohto, Hoenn, Unova, Kalos, Alola

Posted 12 April 2016 - 09:33 AM

Ayin, at least try to cover your baits a lil better

#75 ShinobiEX3

ShinobiEX3

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6862 posts
  • LocationForest

Posted 12 April 2016 - 11:41 AM

Ayin, at least try to cover your baits a lil better

I'm not baiting it's a genuine question.
I see no reason to bait anyone into anything anymore in this forum it's a waste of time. Just asking question what pop up in my head no more no less.

Edit : correcting english

Edited by ShinobiEX3, 12 April 2016 - 11:42 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users