Ragnarok and how good is it still? - Page 4 - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

Ragnarok and how good is it still?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
86 replies to this topic

#76 Ashuckel

Ashuckel

'-' intensifies

• Members
  • 18996 posts
  • LocationJohto, Hoenn, Unova, Kalos, Alola
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 12 April 2016 - 11:51 AM

one can always say it was a genuine question, but w/e

#77 Talvis

Talvis

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1985 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the Midwest
  • Server:Renewal Chaos

Posted 12 April 2016 - 03:12 PM

The bots have always been part of RO since the early days and many other MMORPGs. Bots are honestly not really the cause but a symptom of a poor game design, like many other MMO. I'd argue that the bots may actually kept iRO alive by keeping supplies of item cheap and readily available. It also keeps the healthy supply of zeny available to make the economy really liquid. People are always wanting to buy cheap and sell high. There are servers where people would vend forever but no buyers due to lack of zeny . Also RO simply don't have enough dedicated playerbase to farm WSS to make 500,000+ Slims per WoE anymore, especially at 1x~1.5x rate. I am sure most of you guys are not even grinding 10,000+ WSS a day. Even if WSS is selling at good price (maybe 5k a piece), hacking away same mobs at low spawn rate 100,000x time is not fun for anyone really, especially at sub 3,000 playerbase. You can buy the pots directly from Cash Shop but who would actually pay 100-200KP for each every TI run. I started RO back few months ago, and the Bots honestly doesn't bother me one bit. I see most of them from lvl 1-30, but that went by really quickly. You find most players to play with in TI, which doesn't have a lot of bots.

RO has always been on the decline. I think it happens to every game. The majority of RO players don't play official anymore because of many reasons. Some have career and their time is valuable. Some don't like pay2win aspect. Or some just want to hop-in and enjoy the game instead of spending 400 hours to make one character just to play a couple of ET runs, few WoE, or PVP. It doesn't mean that RO is dead by any chance.

I've always wondered how much iro would be without bots making supplies cheap. Here, acid bombs and edps are relatively cheap, so everyone uses them liberally. But I've heard that on other official servers, where there are less bots, those aren't cheap. It's bomb bomb bomb mvps here, but on other servers they use other techniques.

#78 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

My Offline Life is Nonexistent.

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts
  • Server:Sakray->Iris->Ymir->Chaos

Posted 12 April 2016 - 03:25 PM

I've always wondered how much iro would be without bots making supplies cheap. Here, acid bombs and edps are relatively cheap, so everyone uses them liberally. But I've heard that on other official servers, where there are less bots, those aren't cheap. It's bomb bomb bomb mvps here, but on other servers they use other techniques.

It's this very reason why kRO came up with the Para Market and why it's the one update that bot-infested servers like ours should NOT get.

#79 CadburyChocolate

CadburyChocolate

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3553 posts

Posted 12 April 2016 - 05:38 PM

Appealing to the lowest common denomintator, is never ever under any circumstances a good thing. If that happened to RO, they should just shut down instead.  There's a reason RO is still very much alive, despite the non-existant advertising, It's because this game has a lot going for it, that no other MMO out there is even comparable in any way.

Again, RO is still alive because of us veteran/old player/community and the reasons i stated before

And no, i disagree when u say that the game is very much alive when infact, it isn't even as many players and fun as it was in its prime like 7 years ago or more. What RO practically is doing now is just holding on to the current players with these updates and gimmicks. They need to do something to attract newer generations like on how we were attracted to it when we were young though it might be very hard

#80 AlphaFerret

AlphaFerret

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 12 April 2016 - 09:53 PM

Newish player here. I played WAY back when RO was a new MMO out there before there was a second class to pick. You have your basics and that's it. But finding it recently on steam and as a Free to play. Hells yeah. I do see they havent solved their botting problem. I remember times when I just made accounts for the 1 week free trial before when you had to sub and going anywhere it was just filled with bots everywhere. Still pretty much the same thing.

But lets get into the fun of the game. Yes I do still love playing the game. But currently am confused with a lot of the new gears and things going on. I dont understand how people are getting so much money for their gear. (i am scraping by with 200K ish and I still need newer gear being a fresh assassin)

I am unsure where to get a lot of quests right now my income is coming from doing the hunting missions but even that is a long haul and exhausting. But for the most part the fun of the game for me is still there. The climb to get to the top to see the end game content.

But my main reason for posting here is to ask if there is anyone who could give me some money making tips or even advice and help me out where to really start at.

#81 DeadIntern

DeadIntern

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1725 posts
  • Server:Renewal - Chaos

Posted 12 April 2016 - 10:56 PM

Firstly, if you're serious about playing back RO, make a new account under WarpPortal instead of Steam.

- Steam and WP have different pricing and bonus on KP and VIP purchases, and they don't use the same currency (Steam uses Steam wallet, WP uses WPE). That could complicate things once you start buying KPs or VIPs for more than 1 account under your email.

- Characters under Steam account cannot be moved into another account (whereas WP can, for a price)

Secondly, you can check this guide for making money guide. A good place to check the market is Ragial. You can check out people who are buying and selling items from there. I'll suggest hunting those items that people are buying. They usually are pretty easy to hunt.

Thirdly, serious zeny/item farming is usually done by running various instances or by market trading.

Lv 130 is a good starting point to look into the various instances that iRO has to offer. But if you're only lv 100ish, you can check out Sarah's Memory instance.

#82 3025140119203620510

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 716 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 12:10 AM

I think that's a pretty fair observation. In a way, bots could played a major part in the imbalances that we have today. Back in the early RO where botting was less prevalent, all the supplies were really scares. White potion was a luxury and everybody had to rely on teamwork to succeed. Not much of a 1 button spam back then, and a lot of skills were being used depended on the situation. Yggberry was around 1M, and people hardly have over 100k zeny back then. Today almost everybody now have access to relatively high end gears, buffs, and consumables, and can solo his/her way to 150 or so.

It also makes the game become more of a grind than a challenge. MvP / ET / BBranch / etc are too easy nowdays . They are rather something people grind / farmed today than a fun team challenge efforts. 

However if you look at the other way around, how sustainable is it to keep people grinding these mats daily like a second job?  Back when the officials server had 10,000 -30,000 population that wasn't a big issue. If the crucial supplies were too low, it's going to be very hard for most players to do any instances. They are most certainly going to need party to accomplish any tasks, and finding players to party with is already a challenge in this game after level 125+. 

#83 Ucatolica

Ucatolica

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 329 posts
  • LocationViña del Mar, Chile
  • Server:Yggdrassil

Posted 27 April 2016 - 07:13 PM

The bigger issue with RO is lack of information. The in-game item descriptions are often very inaccurate and misleading, which is a bigger issue for newer players to learn than having to deal with bots farming cheap strawberries. I often find myself frustrated having spent 20m on an item that didn't really work as the description said, and having to rely on forum discussion or the outdated iRO Wiki.

In addition, the worst thing about RO is that there are simply no information on how to obtain certain costume/gears/items, especially from iRO Wiki. New players love the look of Fallen Angel Wing, so he google it, but it doesn't really tell you where does it come from. Next thing he knows, he has to wait another year just to buy it from Cash Shop, then wait few more months to spend $20 upgrading it, then $10 more to enchant it. That's a big turn off for any players to be honest. Not only he can't earn his gear by playing, he has to throw money at the screen and wait months to do so. 

The bots have always been part of RO since the early days and many other MMORPGs. Bots are honestly not really the cause but a symptom of a poor game design, like many other MMO. I'd argue that the bots may actually kept iRO alive by keeping supplies of item cheap and readily available. It also keeps the healthy supply of zeny available to make the economy really liquid. People are always wanting to buy cheap and sell high. There are servers where people would vend forever but no buyers due to lack of zeny . Also RO simply don't have enough dedicated playerbase to farm WSS to make 500,000+ Slims per WoE anymore, especially at 1x~1.5x rate. I am sure most of you guys are not even grinding 10,000+ WSS a day. Even if WSS is selling at good price (maybe 5k a piece), hacking away same mobs at low spawn rate 100,000x time is not fun for anyone really, especially at sub 3,000 playerbase. You can buy the pots directly from Cash Shop but who would actually pay 100-200KP for each every TI run. I started RO back few months ago, and the Bots honestly doesn't bother me one bit. I see most of them from lvl 1-30, but that went by really quickly. You find most players to play with in TI, which doesn't have a lot of bots.  

RO has always been on the decline. I think it happens to every game. The majority of RO players don't play official anymore because of many reasons. Some have career and their time is valuable. Some don't like pay2win aspect. Or some just want to hop-in and enjoy the game instead of spending 400 hours to make one character just to play a couple of ET runs, few WoE, or PVP.  It doesn't mean that RO is dead by any chance. 

I can't be more agree, the time and donations spent to get some decent econmy is too high. For newies surely they prefer spent 50 dolars in another new game, because ro is obsolete... we got new contents, but nothing else, like new graphics, new designs, new interfaces... i think most of people playing ro are veteran players, and ro now is for keep old players, not for new ones. (sorry my bad english)

#84 iamAJ

iamAJ

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 10:12 PM

with RO, it's a "on & off relationship", you play, you decide to stop, then you play again, then you stop, you miss it, you play again... there's just something about RO that makes you want to play again  :heh:

#85 Ohyrus

Ohyrus

I am New.

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 12:33 AM

To op if still around. Started to play Iro after a long break (nearly 10 years) . I played on EuRO before it was closed from Burda . I know the times Doddler was around on iRO (i miss him ) . My wife and i started 3 weeks ago  . I was surprised to see how easy it is to get Money . Spend one month Sub get 1500 kp equals to a prox 200 m zeny if you sell the right stuff to People ingame ( which i like cause Gold seller have a hard time with this System) . Got a Rk lvl 103 Job 16  with a decent equipt (not end or mvp Cards) but still not bad . Compared to the old times i would say it is more friendly for new Players then  in the past . Does it Change your dipers and swipe your mouth NO .  But you still get that Feeling you achieved something when you find your first Card or gear you grind for . SO my advise try it out  pay one month Vip and after that it is your decision if you get hooked from RO or not .

#86 ShinobiEX3

ShinobiEX3

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6862 posts
  • LocationForest

Posted 28 April 2016 - 05:53 AM

Interesting

#87 arqdani12

arqdani12

I am New.

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 03:14 PM

RO is not newbie friendly... I start playing this game 3 days ago... and I'm totally lost. I don't find anything... this game needs a tutorial very very specific because people like me that just want to give it a try... is not going to find it fun without any explanation... yes there is a few npc that explain some details... but I really wanted to play this game but well.. maybe is not worth it 

VModCinnamon:

Hello there! Sorry to hear about the struggles, while the in-game tutorials are not that strong please feel free to visit the forums New Player Zone [link] and Guides sections [link] for information. If there are things unclear still do not hesitate to open a fresh topic at the relevant section of forums.

Because forums do not favor bumping old and silent topics, this topic is getting locked.

Edited by VModCinnamon, 20 February 2017 - 04:59 PM.
Lock note, redirected.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users