Intermission: An Apricot Nectar (formerly Nector!) Cheesecake Recipe and FAQ - Creative Contraptions - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Intermission: An Apricot Nectar (formerly Nector!) Cheesecake Recipe and FAQ

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 PervySageMarty

PervySageMarty

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3956 posts
  • LocationUnderground like a wild potato
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 29 June 2016 - 05:06 AM

Hello everyone, you may know me as, "that perverted guy", "The dirty old man" or iLoveBoobies. Well, today I would like to teach everyone a very delicious recipe: Apricot Nectar Coldset Cheesecake, and no, this is not like Jamie Oliver where all the recipes hes ever cooked on show are apparently all recipes from his Grandma and its always something thats going to bring back childhood blahblah.........
I will also include photo's where I either have deemed appropriate or simply because......................I like taking photo's.

First a great quote from a wise person who I find is very relevant to this lesson:

I call out Marty's name in my dreams.

What you will need:

• Milk Arrowroot Biscuits 200 grams (For American counterparts, Maria's are ohkay to use, but just about any basic biscuit will do)
  • Unsalted Butter 120 grams
  • Cream Cheese 500 grams
  • Thickened Cream 300 ml's (Whipping Cream in America or so I heard.........or Double dolloping cream)
  • Apricot Nectar 400 ml's
  • A Large Can of peaches (Sliced)
  • 2 Tablespoons Gelatine (For those using the so called "gelatine leaves", this is exactly 3 leaves)
  • Caster/Castor Sugar 300 grams (Fear not for those who have never heard of this type of sugar, it can also be alternatively called by the following: Extra Fine sugar, Bar Sugar, AAA Sugar)
  • A Cake Tin (Preferably 20 cm in diameter and a height of 5 cm, you may use different size tins if you wish. Also preferable to get one which has a detachable base like mine).

Method with a detailed explanation of various questionable steps and processes:

• Take out your Cream cheese to leave at room temperature (this will make it easier for you to beat later). Put your Apricot nectar in a small saucepan and gently sprinkle the gelatine powder all over the top (so long as you did not lump too much together and it is spread evenly, it will form a nice sort of skin ontop of the Apricot nectar, and will not require you to stir as you cook later!)20160629_092848.jpg20160629_094432.jpg
  • Grind your biscuits into tiny crumbs (preferably pulverized into a powder if you will compare), I use a pestle and mortar to do the job but there are many methods to achieve the same result. Beware for those who use very thick cookies to make a base, you must be sure its a job well done, a Cheesecake base should be short eaten like shortbread.20160629_092544.jpg
  • Heat Butter on in a saucepan till completely melted and just about to boil. Turn off the heat and swiftly pour your crumbs into the saucepan, mixing well to ensure the butter combines completely with your biscuit crumb/powder. For those who ask why bring it to near the boiling point? The answer is because you want to cook the biscuit crumbs if only slightly to create a nice aroma, its very subtle but for those who eat the cheesecake, there is definately a difference between giving the crumbs abit of a cook in comparison to not cooking it at all.20160604_125430.jpg
  • Line the bottom of your cake tin with grease proof paper (as well as the sides if you wish, In this photo here I used acetate sheets which are often used in chocolatier work, you may also use overhead projector sheets if you don't want to fork out the cash for that) and pour your biscuit crumb mixture into the tin, patting it gently down. To make it nice and even, I highly suggest either getting a tin which is smaller than the tin your using to help press it down so you get a nice even layered cheesecake bum.
  • heat your Apricot nectar till it starts to boil (this will help activate the gelatine for those using the powder format) then take off the heat and set aside to SLIGHTLY COOL. For those using gelatine leaves, soak the leaves in water till its softened, then drain, squeeze out the water and add to your Apricot nectar as it heats up, stiring may be required until it completely dissolves. Set aside to SLIGHTLY COOL (you will find out why later)
  • Using either a hand whisk or, if like me, a Kitchenaid (or any other mixing appliance), whisk your thickened cream until it creates soft peaks. Set aside in a bowl.20160629_095550.jpg
  • Using either a hand beater or mixing applianace with a beater, slowly beat the Cream cheese, whilst slowly also adding in the caster sugar until fully combined.20160604_141952.jpg
  • Swap over once again to the Whisk attachment and whisk in the Apricot nectar (while it is still very warm, not extremely warm, but warm enough that you can barely hold it for long). It may look like a very weird mess but I assure you everything is alright. Whisk until you no longer see lumps of Cream Cheese. This may be done on medium speed. Ensure to save maybe 50-60 ml's of the Apricot Nectar to leave aside for the topping of your cheesecake, do not just put it all into the cream cheese mix.
  • Add in the bowl of whipped cream into the mix and whisk slowly just until the whipped cream is combined with the mixture (If you accidentally overmix you may end up with a very thick cream cheese mixture which makes the next step slightly more annoying)20160629_105147.jpg
  • Pour your cream cheese mixture into the tin. Use a knife/spoon to smoothen the top if necessary (provided you used the Apricot nectar while it was still near hot, this should have prevented the cream cheese mixture from "gelatinising" too quickly due to the coldness of the cream cheese and whipped cream and would simply mean pouring the mixture into the tin was all that was needed to have a smooth top without needing to smoothen it out)
  • Refridgerate for 3/4/5 hours till the top is completely set (poke with your fingers).
  • Reheat your leftover Apricot nectar till completely melted. Open and drain out a can of peach slices and place them on top of the cheesecake, then pour/spoon the Apricot nectar over the cheesecake. Refridgerate for another 30-40 minutes.20160629_211138.jpg
  • Enjoy!

Quick FAQ: I will also answer everyones post for those who have further questions!

How to alter the recipe for a different size tin?

The tin size I have suggested and the recipe is suited for is a tin with 20 cm diameter, or 10 cm radius. There is a general rule of thumb between pastrychefs that depending on the radius of the tin, alter the recipe like so. Example; say you have a 18 cm tin (9cm radius), and you are calculating the biscuit crumb needed, this will be 200 /(radius - 10cm) = 20, then using that number for the new tin, this will be 20 x 9 = 180 grams!

I don't like peaches or apricots, can I use other fruit alternatives?

Absolutely, I made this recipe so it is most flexible with everyones tastes. You may replace apricot nectar with mango nectar (even particular fruit juice if you wish!) and it is not mandatory to use slice peaches, you can ideally use any fruit, I just find that peaches and apricot make a nice combination.

My finished product: made as a gift for a certain girl. I used a flower motif for the design when placing the peaches. 20160630_081647.jpg

Edited by PervySageMarty, 05 July 2016 - 05:45 PM.

#2 lorenz1375

lorenz1375

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3554 posts
  • Playing:Nothing
  • Server:Fate/Grand Order NA

Posted 29 June 2016 - 05:25 AM

read it as nectar >.> and now am hungry thanks to this

#3 PervySageMarty

PervySageMarty

Too Legit To Quit