[Public Service Warning] Impersonation Scams on the rise - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

[Public Service Warning] Impersonation Scams on the rise

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Oda

Oda

Overseas

• Community Managers
  • 10261 posts
  • Twitter:@Oda_CM
  • LocationAmatsu
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online

Posted 04 July 2016 - 12:51 PM

Over the last couple of weeks, we've had an increasing number of scams/hacks happening as a result of guildmate impersonation. 

The method by which the scammer gets access to another person's account is to listen in on public conversations between guildmates in Eden Group. 

They then create a novice character with a name that is similar to one of the people in the guild. Commonly, they will switch capital "I" and lowercase "l" and add "." to get as close as possible to the name they want to impersonate. 

They then message guildmates to convince them to a) borrow equipment previously mentioned or B) give them login info. This has already resulted in stolen items worth billions of zeny and hours of GM time lost tracking these down. 

Please make sure that you are face to face with the guildmate you are trading items with and (while I understand that players -especially in guilds-want to share login information) be extremely careful with who has access. 

Let your friends and guildmates know. If you have been a victim of this scam, if you can send me screenshots showing this happening I would like to use them (edited to remove names) to show how this scam operates. 

#2 VModCinnamon

VModCinnamon

Tranquility

• VMod Retired
  • 16663 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 02:03 PM

It is also important to note that the technique they use to scam with is evolving but it will always be using someone's else name.

Some of the notable new ones are:

• Asking to lend in a character slave (e.g. strings, priest).
  • Asking for WPE Codes.
  • Asking a guild member to join a "loyalty test". Usually the scammer here will pose as the guild leader.

So please double check who you are talking to, /savechat to note the structure of the name specially if i and l are switched, and make a good use of ROPD.

Edited by VModCinnamon, 06 July 2016 - 12:40 PM.
Updated

#3 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • Twitter:@nekoxellie
  • LocationValhalla
  • Server:Europe ban!

Posted 04 July 2016 - 05:24 PM

It's wise to use an out of game method of communication to verify all trades/loans of valuable gear and equipment.

Never give out account information in game, even to people you trust (but avoid sharing information if you can!)

#4 Kusanagisama

Kusanagisama

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4243 posts
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 06 July 2016 - 11:08 AM

It's wise to use an out of game method of communication to verify all trades/loans of valuable gear and equipment.

Never give out account information in game, even to people you trust (but avoid sharing information if you can!)

Voice chat highly advisable.

#5 Gaurav7101

Gaurav7101

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 06 July 2016 - 12:20 PM

Well i guess its me being a new player got scammed  <> my guild leader alt , someone named <> . I lost like

6K WPE+ ( around 8k kp)

+9FAW of acid with max enchant

CD in Mouth

+7Vanargand Helmet

my Wep Thanatos Katar

Some reset stones like 3 - 5

+7 infiltrator

all the costume headgear that i got from boxes

lots of safe to 7 headgear and wep certs

my accessories and shadow gears those were in kafra

all my zeny

he deleted all of my friend list only one person left that i didnt added(he may have added ) will post a screenshot of that person name.

Plot : He must be someone closer or been following our guild and listening to chat.

i remember our guild leader said abt leaching us at bio4( he knew that all)( this may be common levelling technique i guess)

What he did was he came with one char alt of my guild leader <>

then one more member pmed me(similar to one of the people in the guild) about loyality test of guild and that my guild leader will test me.

i DID all what he said after that i have lost all my items and my game time he even deleted my friend list:

my password got changed from this ip:<>.

I knew it was all my fault and i may not get my items and everything back.

Just posting here so that newer players like me doesn't get scammed.

Kindly track them down not their novice account but their main account

Thank You !!

Scam-in-progress1.png

only had one screenshot that i got clicked accidentally  while trade.

kindly look after this name  too <>

He made use of person i trust most in game and the one who helped me a lot . I just want him to get caught and his all accounts get banned.

posted two tickets both are same :Ticket Number <> & 

• Ticket Number <>

I know its My fault too  y'all can blame me.(as its normal tendency for ppl to do so).

Adios!!

Edited by Oda, 06 July 2016 - 12:51 PM.
Removed screenshot, ticket numbers, name of users.

#6 VModCinnamon

VModCinnamon

Tranquility

• VMod Retired
  • 16663 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 12:24 PM

Names of users involved in scamming should not be posted publicly on forums.

#7 Gaurav7101

Gaurav7101

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 12:29 PM

srry just wanted to let ODA know what happened. I would appreciate if you could edit   .!!

Thank You

#8 VModCinnamon

VModCinnamon

Tranquility

• VMod Retired
  • 16663 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 12:35 PM

srry just wanted to let ODA know what happened. I would appreciate if you could edit   .!!

Thank You

No worries, the names and screenshot are actually in private view. CM Oda should be able to see the info.

#9 stoenr

stoenr

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 789 posts
  • Server:Ymir + Loki

Posted 07 July 2016 - 06:01 PM

Its probably been discussed before but can't you guys just add a report function to the right click menu in a private message?  I know at first the queue might be overwhelming but in the long run it would prevent zeny spammers and impersonators from even trying.  Also to block IMs from that user instead of the two options it currently provides.  It would be a very nice feature to have.

Edited by stoenr, 07 July 2016 - 06:03 PM.

#10 jborgyc

jborgyc

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 08:58 PM

Spoiler

Poser scamming !

Edited by VModCinnamon, 07 July 2016 - 09:25 PM.
Edited screenshot, names removed.

#11 4782131221082418730

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2370 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 11:56 PM

Scam-in-progress1.png

Camp should fix the trade window bug asap. I cannot even see the name of the player I am trading.

#12 EijiNapz

EijiNapz

I am New.

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Server:Thor

Posted 08 July 2016 - 12:19 AM

I think I bought that KP and +7 Vana on that MarioBros  its a merchant last July 5, I have a SS on that trade but on the 2nd deal with x2 E. ELU on my other account ... Too Bad Didn't Notice this post ...

233089853b4f6f5da853018da3d430ef6c0dabba

Edited by EijiNapz, 08 July 2016 - 12:50 AM.

#13 MikaKuchiki

MikaKuchiki

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 01:16 AM

This is happened to my friends and the scammer almost get me. He pretend to be my friend, which is in same guild with me. Have same name with him, and i don't see the novice character. I think the one who talk with me is really my friend. But when i talk, i always get warning "This person is not in your guild or in your friendlist" (i forget the detail of this auto warning)
I feel its weird, but i still don't realize the novice. He ask me to open gear then want to borrow my FAW. I refuse it, because i want to take a bath and will need the FAW later. I'm afraid he will afk after i go back. I stop talking and when i back, he already steal the other friend's stuff (thanks to Oda and vmod, they already back.....3 weeks later. A FAW and temporal boots actually still missing, but my friend already let it go) He use loyalty test method (the victim just join the guild 1 hour before that) and the scammer use 2 novice with name of 2 guild leaders

The problem is during that 3 weeks, the scammer still come and not banned. He also make other characters and try scamming again and again. My friends already report every case. And looks like this method keep used.

(Sorry my English really poor)
Oh yea, the case always happened in eden kitchen. And one day, i saw him again, with other novice character, asking warp to lighthalzen. The ropd tell us, he have alts with my friend's name

Edited by MikaKuchiki, 08 July 2016 - 01:33 AM.

#14 GetBack

GetBack

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 83 posts
  • LocationMidgard

Posted 09 July 2016 - 12:23 AM

Spoiler

Sorry if I'm in a wrong thread but my Main Account was suspended, and I'm thinking that it is due that i Bought KP directly to him (my guildmate), when he made a Pub 16m/100kp in Lighthalzen. So out of good will and as a guildmate, I bought 1000kp= 160m and requested for C.Amistr.

Edited by VModCinnamon, 09 July 2016 - 08:45 AM.
Added spoiler tag

#15 Si6ers

Si6ers

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 08:26 AM

It's a pity nowadays, a good Samaritan gets banned. Now, I will think 2,3,4,5 or more times before helping. I thought helping  is good. Please help "Getback" retrieve his account and zenny.

#16 VModCinnamon

VModCinnamon

Tranquility

• VMod Retired
  • 16663 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 08:49 AM

Sorry if I'm in a wrong thread but my Main Account was suspended, and I'm thinking that it is due that i Bought KP directly to him (my guildmate), when he made a Pub 16m/100kp in Lighthalzen. So out of good will and as a guildmate, I bought 1000kp= 160m and requested for C.Amistr.

Please be patient as the GM team investigates your ticket, I am not sure if that's related to the "scammer".

#17 GetBack

GetBack

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 83 posts
  • LocationMidgard

Posted 09 July 2016 - 09:14 AM

Please be patient as the GM team investigates your ticket, I am not sure if that's related to the "scammer".

Its related VModCinnamon, Cause i bought KP directly to him, and his account is under investigation

VModCinnamon:

Check your PM inbox please, thank you.

Edited by VModCinnamon, 09 July 2016 - 10:11 AM.
Response

#18 Fuuton

Fuuton

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2230 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 10:17 PM

ridiculous. they SHOULD be posted publicly so people can be made aware of who is currently attempting it. its like you're flat our supporting these scammers by trying to hide their identities. why would you do such a thing???

stop being half and half. you guys constantly contradict yourselves. the old gravity website used to have it publicly listed which accounts had currently been banned. why should the name of a scammer be protected?? ticket it? they'll be long gone and have made another name by then. 9/10 times you guys refuse to help anyone with tickets anyway. why dont you start taking this more seriously than you have been and find a way to ban the ip address altogether?

#19 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

My Offline Life is Nonexistent.

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts
  • Server:Sakray->Iris->Ymir->Chaos

Posted 24 July 2016 - 10:40 PM

ridiculous. they SHOULD be posted publicly so people can be made aware of who is currently attempting it. its like you're flat our supporting these scammers by trying to hide their identities. why would you do such a thing???

stop being half and half. you guys constantly contradict yourselves. the old gravity website used to have it publicly listed which accounts had currently been banned. why should the name of a scammer be protected?? ticket it? they'll be long gone and have made another name by then. 9/10 times you guys refuse to help anyone with tickets anyway. why dont you start taking this more seriously than you have been and find a way to ban the ip address altogether?

Because the scammer could be using a compromised account, so the only one you're shaming is the victim, not the scammer.

#20 VModCinnamon

VModCinnamon

Tranquility

• VMod Retired
  • 16663 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 12:40 AM

Sorry if you feel that way but there is a greater reason why names can't be posted in public. As ZeroTigress stated, many times the accounts are found to be compromised, to the point that new novices are created on them to carry on the scam action. Posting names would bring the owners of the accounts shame and disgrace they do not deserve.

My personal view about posting a public list in regards this specific matter that it is quite pointless, with a potential of causing drama. Not only the scammers use other players accounts but they also mimic their names (example of scam with letter swap: SlaveAB <-> SIaveAB), it would be awkward to find your character name on that list, don't you think?

Saying all of that, please let the CMs/mods know if an impostor report is not getting taken care of in a timely manner.

#21 HeresNatan

HeresNatan

Awarded #1 Troll

• Banned
  • 988 posts
  • LocationEU banned?
  • Server:Chaos NO MORE

Posted 25 July 2016 - 03:43 AM

It is also important to note that the technique they use to scam with is evolving but it will always be using someone's else name.

Some of the notable new ones are:

• Asking to lend in a character slave (e.g. strings, priest).
  • Asking for WPE Codes.
  • Asking a guild member to join a "loyalty test". Usually the scammer here will pose as the guild leader.

So please double check who you are talking to, /savechat to note the structure of the name specially if i and l are switched, and make a good use of ROPD.

shame.....

cowards

#22 MikaKuchiki

MikaKuchiki

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 06:54 PM

What make me sad is.. we report it after the problem happened. Then GM looks like refused to handle it. I know we can't hope the items will back. But the scammer still free that time. And he still can use same account, try to scam other people.

The problem solved after 3 weeks. But faw and boots missing, maybe the scammer already sell them. Well... the owner accept it as a lesson

._.

#23 Ky85

Ky85

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • Server:Classic

Posted 29 July 2016 - 09:19 PM

This just happened to me and someone I know! My friend gave up his details and his account got raided. I'm the one who got impersonated and I got slapped with a permaban! We need Justice! :p_sad:

#24 MikaKuchiki

MikaKuchiki

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 03:28 PM

GM need to take this case seriously ._.
After slow response, now wrong people banned. I hear this new case from my friend. The scammer still free that time. And still try to scam other people in Lighthalzen

#25 VModCinnamon

VModCinnamon

Tranquility

• VMod Retired
  • 16663 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 10:54 PM

GM need to take this case seriously ._.
After slow response, now wrong people banned. I hear this new case from my friend. The scammer still free that time. And still try to scam other people in Lighthalzen

Is it a new scammer? A ticket must be sent for each new case or you can append the report on the earlier 'scammer' ticket. If he is still hanging around let me know in a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users