IT'S HAPPENING! [updated OP with thoughts] - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
* * * * - 7 votes

IT'S HAPPENING! [updated OP with thoughts]

• Please log in to reply
313 replies to this topic

#1 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • Twitter:@nekoxellie
  • LocationValhalla
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Europe ban!

Posted 13 October 2016 - 11:17 PM

New AB and I just discovered Malangdo enchants....

It's been over a week now, and still playing. And spending kp. I haven't done that on the other server in a while. My guildies are starting to follow me (guys, that's not creepy at all lolol <3)

But why? Why am I enjoying this server more than Classic?

Well.... for me it's the hats. Honestly I can spend all day playing with hats and making the chars look awesome. Dropping retarded amounts of money on non-functional aesthetic gear... yes. I do it.

But it's not only that. Renewal is more grindy... but the grind is progressive. You're always making progress, there's always a box you just checked and there's always something else near enough to say "just till this.... then I'll stop."

The bounty boards are more fun - they exist on classic but they're limited, punish builds and classes and attempt to push partying on a server too small for it. Even with the ability to solo everything, we're partying here because it's nice to have company. Forcing parties in leveling, it's not good.

And sure I've run out of things to do and see on Classic but the server direction seems intent on taking away that which people achieve or were striving for. Being punished or talked down for actually playing just isn't fun. 

A bigger population is nice too, but that's not really the issue here. I'm kind of a solitary solo player type so the population size doesn't have too much hold over me. So long as there's a few chill people to talk to from time to time it doesn't matter if there's 100 people or 100,000 people.

===========================================================

My current project is:

roOTgDK.png

I've never levelled under 90 before. This is quite the adventure. I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IM DOING! Im actually just looking at the ingame map and following the level ranges with mercenaries and it seems decently fast so....oh god I made this on an account without level 10 fencers qq

Review

So to recap:

I had a bunch of characters sitting at 150 and another bunch at 99. I've never levelled under 99 on renewal because of this. I saw cute new hats on renewal and wanted them, so I hopped over to visit.

Armed with some gear from myzery and a basic knowledge that everyone "goes to NCT to get 175 or bio4" I went and poked things and learned about shadow gear and enchants and stuff.

And I'm still learning! There's a lot to catch up on. Overall, I find renewal PVM very relaxing - if not somewhat gimmicky. through the eyes of a veteran who knows RO but doesn't know renewal, seeing things like players as monsters or turning into monsters and mvp signs popping up all the time is somewhat tacky. It's not actually bad (a little gimmicky) but it would look so much better if it wasn't reused assets and was new animations and sprites.

For example the eddga thing would look cool if it was something like a ghostly eddga popping over the character or something.

I'm a little baffled by the lack of leveling options over 150. Coming from a classic player who basically does 1-99 trans on a total of 2 maps that may sound surprising, but in reality I don't have to do it that way. I have many options. I guess it's just because Chaos is lacking in updates and content or they've been poorly thought out in the order or receipt. I can't say because I don't follow kRO updates that much anymore - but what I do know is that it is bad.

The upgrade event is a little disheartening, seeing the haves and havenots that will come from it. People who had +10 gear before from enriched hammer etc essentially grabbing effortless +15s (and im not saying free for a reason!)

Finding the state of stat calcs, the wiki db and the wiki itself was very disheartening btw. I can't say I'm entirely surprised by it though. The community doesn't lend itself to people wanting to update those things - but those of you who can... please do. You might never get thank yous and you might never get recognition for it, but iRO needs these things to survive.

Speaking of community, I've found people on Chaos to be nothing but awesome so far. Hell, I only got KSed by a ranger once all 25 of my levels.

This may not mean anything to many people : But way back in the day, this character always hit it's max levels off the same mob. I'm happy I was able to do it, again.

JUH9Jj2.png

Onwards to MVPs and GX #2.

=============================================================================================

fngBB2H.png

It's been roughly 5 years since I last saw that animation on this server....And this is hopefully the first out of another 24 levels I'm aiming to get.

I just wanted to say hi and talk about some of the crazy things that I'm learning about in terms of how different the server is, even since then.

All my old gear SUCKS! None of it has enchants and there's so many types of enchants! It's kind of overwhelming to be honest.

Some of my old old old old random stuff is really, really valuable. Anyone who returns should really triple check the price of old cards, god drops, event hats.

I don't have to go to eden to use the kafra shop, it's right up there. (I felt so silly after getting lost looking for the npc for the new box)

I can warp anywhere-ish from eden but I miss classic's prontera warp pass (seriously you guys should beg for those they are the best thing ever)

Not every MVP that teleports next to me is a real MVP. That was really... wow. confusing.

Bounty boards seem awesome. I missed being able to split base/job exp as I pleased. (Classic needs that exp choice!)

Apparently I need gear for my gear or something - I have no idea what shadow gear is or how it works but I'm going to look for those random mobs that drop them and do science.

Is partying better than soloing for sin class over 150? I'm pretty used to soloing being most efficient so... yeah. And even if it's not, what roles would I expect to perform as a GX if anyone takes them?

It's fun discovering new things. It's been such a long time. I just wanted to share this little new but not really new insight to the server. 

The upgrade system is silly. I found several safe to +7 and safe to +10 certs in my storages but then I remembered that mighty hammer is a bit of a troll - so I'm not touching him.  I remember I used to spend so much on upgrading but it's sort of intimidating looking at how much of a money sink that would be (I have stuff but not zeny, ingame or irl)

I like costumes since they cover my ugly hat for levelling but like... so I can have a costume that gives extra exp? But I seriously need a costume for my costume.

Oh and most importantly, I discovered that whilst you're dancing around spinning in circles to level, lady gaga isn't a bad choice of music.

Edited by Xellie, 25 October 2016 - 08:54 AM.

#2 KyrieDielle

KyrieDielle

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2428 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 13 October 2016 - 11:34 PM

Xellie is playing Renewal!

aaaaaaaaa_fb_332897.jpg

#3 yauhoilun

yauhoilun

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1664 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 11:36 PM

Welcome back! It's nice to see old players enjoying the game again. The shadow gears dropped by random mobs are not very good but the ones in kafra shop and sold by other players are pretty good adjunct to your main gear set. Costume googles gives extra 30% exp. Check of fallen angel wings and temporal boots. After level 150 many people do biolab4 parties bounty board turn in.

#4 son12

son12

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 794 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 11:42 PM

I find it's faster to lvl alone on a GX.

Welcome back to renewal anyway :3

#5 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 13 October 2016 - 11:46 PM

I wanted to look for a malicious shadow gear set, I heard they're pretty cheap and should do me fine for what I'm doing right now. If I party I'll probably need something more substantial.

I have one FAW and one AAW they're both +0 and both no stats, I'm sorta scared to try to upgrade them, it seems really expensive to do. I'm using an asprika and a +9 DR valk mant right now so it's probably kind of sub-optimal. What kind of enchants would I look for on a FAW for a GX and an AB? AB is my second class.

My shoes are +0 str temporal with the aspd thing? It's kind of cool because I'm a sonic fan and I can say I have lightspeed shoes. I wasn't sure what I need on those either, the bear power thing I guess? I'm RC and crit (with a katar because it's an old character)

What's a good mid gear to use now? I know there's tons of new cards. Same sort of thing applies to garment and shoe questions.

I'm currently using a thana katar but Crimson weapons seem cheap... Are they just a trap for upgrading?

#6 Handersen

Handersen

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3272 posts
  • Server:chaos

Posted 13 October 2016 - 11:53 PM

Welcome back you just missed the refine event where you can make your gears to +20

#7 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 13 October 2016 - 11:55 PM

good lol I don't want none of that

#8 ROCKheir

ROCKheir

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1488 posts
  • Locationhttps://www.artstation.com/rockheir

Posted 13 October 2016 - 11:56 PM

Welcome back but what brought you back? xD

#9 Handersen

Handersen

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3272 posts
  • Server:chaos

Posted 13 October 2016 - 11:59 PM

He is playing by himself on prerenewal no one else playing its a dead server Ofcoz he will come back to renewal

#10 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 14 October 2016 - 12:00 AM

Welcome back but what brought you back? xD

Truthfully?

The costumes and like... stuff.

oh oh so check this out.

This is how I levelled when renewal just came out (jan 2011 I posted this). It's so different - it changed quite a bit before I hit 150 and it was still closer to this than what it is now when I quit 

#11 ROCKheir

ROCKheir

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1488 posts
  • Locationhttps://www.artstation.com/rockheir

Posted 14 October 2016 - 12:02 AM

He is playing by himself on prerenewal no one else playing its a dead server Ofcoz he will come back to renewal

If you only listen to "his" voice. lol

#12 yamasakai90

yamasakai90

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3029 posts
  • LocationUnder the Ground
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 14 October 2016 - 12:30 AM

OMG Xellie!

Welcome 'back' to renewal :D. I'm sure you don't really need help as there are plenty of threads floating around but but here's my 2 cents worth. (Please forgive me if I wrote anything wrong, or if its not needed, just tell me that and I'll wont poke around anymore.  :p_swt: )

I'm normally at Geffen left of Kafra if you want to find me.

For GX:
1. You missed the Nightmare Clock Tower (NCT) Spotlight where it gave birth to a lot of 175 GXs. For lvling pass 150, its either guild dungeons or NCT for GX. GX aren't really welcomed in bio4 party except for a winger, but i know people who tried soloing them. 

2. A +9 FAW with Fighting Spirit (FS) enchants will be what you are looking for, for additional attack and hit.

at +4 (Safe refine) You can get 1 enchant +7, 2 enchants and +9 3 enchants. Your FAW won't break when you enchant it and well you get to choose what you want and if you don't like it, 1m for reset. (i.e FS 1-3).

- some goes for aspd but RC doesn't really need aspd more than 186 or 190. Click Here

3. A +0,+5 or+7 Malicious set will serve you well, the additional bonus isn't much.

4 For Temporal Str Boots, either FS or Attack Delay enchant would be nice. Special enchant wise, preferably Lucky Day (+200 Luk, procs on attacking) or Bear Power (+200 str, procs on getting attacked). Speed of Light is awesome but it drains your SP, a lot.

4. DR Manteau will serve you well when leveling at NCT.

5. Mid gear wise, i have a Marduk slotted mid gear (For Silence) and Dark Blinder, for Blind Immunity. If you are going for full damage, I guess a Darlord Essence Force3 or Pinguicula card slotted Black Devil's Mask (BDM) would be nice.

6. Top headgear wise I think most people default a +0 or +9 Rideword Hat for the HP/SP Leech or a White Drooping Eddga Hat for Eddga transformation (More attack power!)

7. Thana Katar is great for general leveling use, carded with Hunter Fly card of course. Crimson Katar wise, I personally have  a +15 Holy Crimson with 2AK, which i strictly use for MvPs. They are nice for general lvling but Thana katar still wins for me, as it has SP leech.

For AB

1. Spell enchanted FAW for more magic attack and cast reduction would be preferable.

2. You could try to enchant your AAW for heal 3-5 enchants at Malangdo but they do break.

Edited by yamasakai90, 14 October 2016 - 12:32 AM.

#13 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 14 October 2016 - 12:45 AM

okay so if I reset enchants does it nuke the upgrade as well?

Also where / how? I quit just before mora came out. So anything past that is a mystery to me.

I like aspd based stuff for ctrl-click modes, so I'll probably aim for those eventually. I noticed as big increase in spammability whenever the speed of light thinger went off, so good to know that about 186-190. I wanna play around with an authotkey for spamming or I'm going to lose my fingers.

Lucky day sounds more useful based on the fact I dont really get hit very much.

Dark blinder of course! I noticed blind was destroying me. I'll need to find one.

How big of a damage difference between the thana and the +15 crimson btw? Sometimes I like to do insane things with no regard for supply limits so I do like having the best weapon for damage output in mind.

#14 stoenr

stoenr

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 789 posts
  • Server:Ymir + Loki

Posted 14 October 2016 - 12:47 AM

Xellie:

NCT is the fastest most efficient (will finish jobs before u max out) place for a GX (especially during an exp event or spotlight). Literally can 150 to 175/60 in 3 days of casual playing.

The gears:

30% exp costume
Beholder shadow shoes (5% dmg to formless)
Dark blinder otherwise carry 40 green pots per run.
Thanatos Katar for SP Leech w/ Malicious Shadow set for HP.
Bryn
Eddga Hat or +7 Leaf Cat. (I used a leaf cat for more exp and relied more on lucky day).
Temporal boots w/ Lucky Day (will HELP with big mobs and to HIT the ridewords).
Deviant if you don't pot or anything that boosts aspd/atk like a heroic backpack (ie. Heroic backpack of power).

Edited by stoenr, 14 October 2016 - 12:48 AM.

#15 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 14 October 2016 - 12:48 AM

Oh yeah the delay between pots feels really long even though I'm spamming as fast as I can / holding a macro :(

#16 stoenr

stoenr

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 789 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 12:53 AM

Also using a medal of honor helps by poisoning pretty much every mob u run into.

#17 yamasakai90

yamasakai90

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3029 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 12:55 AM

okay so if I reset enchants does it nuke the upgrade as well?

Nope, the upgrade and card stays the same. You can enchant it with Valk who's located in the Eden Kitchen (Right room when you enter Eden)

Also where / how? I quit just before mora came out. So anything past that is a mystery to me.

I like aspd based stuff for ctrl-click modes, so I'll probably aim for those eventually. I noticed as big increase in spammability whenever the speed of light thinger went off, so good to know that about 186-190. I wanna play around with an authotkey for spamming or I'm going to lose my fingers.

RC is affected by aspd but only up to a certain extend. Technically you can get 5-7 RC per sec but its really spamming ur RC button or continuously scrolling the mouse with /q2.

Lucky day sounds more useful based on the fact I dont really get hit very much. 

Definitely more useful, increase attack, hit, perfect dodge, its really way better than Bear Power.

Dark blinder of course! I noticed blind was destroying me. I'll need to find one. 

RSX drops it, either that or its normally sold within the 15-20m range

How big of a damage difference between the thana and the +15 crimson btw? Sometimes I like to do insane things with no regard for supply limits so I do like having the best weapon for damage output in mind.

Well I'm using a +9 Thana Katar and +15 Holy Crimson, not a fair comparison but gives you the idea.

When I endow it with fire element against Mora's Pom Spider and Parus

Thana deals 28k against Crimson 33k [Pom Spider]

Thana deals 23k against Crimson 28k [Parus]

In terms of damage its really close if we consider the same refine e.g +12 vs +12 or +15 vs +15. Crimson wins cause it has 2 slots compared to Thana with 1 slot.

People are still testing with Crimson damage output and Fuyu-kun made a table for comparing over 'here'.

I main +7 Leaf Cat for the extra exp but kept my RWH/Eddga in the Hotkey just incase i ran into a huge mob. The heal procs can be really dangerous at time.

Edited by yamasakai90, 14 October 2016 - 12:57 AM.

#18 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 14 October 2016 - 12:56 AM

Oh yeah that reminds me

I need to go get bako tattoos. I had some of the stuff with a former friend I used to mvp with but he refused to give me my share - so I have most of the stuff for the festivals, I just need to do the instances and get the mats again I guess.

assuming ofc bako tats are a good and wise thing to get!

Should I be using any of the GX poisons whilst running around like this btw?

#19 fuyukikun

fuyukikun

Disney Prince in Disguise

• Members
  • 12269 posts
  • LocationIndonesia
  • Server:Chaos, on hiatus

Posted 14 October 2016 - 12:57 AM

Xellie is playing Renewal!

aaaaaaaaa_fb_332897.jpg

cant unsee

#20 stoenr

stoenr

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 789 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 01:00 AM

no gx poisons needed.  only edp on at all times.  they hit really hard in there so you can't do the huge mobs until ur 163ish.  stick to less than 7-8 until ur at higher levels.

#21 yamasakai90

yamasakai90

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3029 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 01:02 AM

Yes 2x Bako Tattoos are amazing for the attack and ASPD.

A slotted RWC Ring with FS Enchant and Golden Scaraba can also be considered if you want raw attack + hit instead of % attack.

People only use GX poison in WoE, don't see much of them though.

The Rideword have a high flee and give little exp, so you can just ignore them.

#22 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 14 October 2016 - 01:04 AM

I main +7 Leaf Cat for the extra exp but kept my RWH/Eddga in the Hotkey just incase i ran into a huge mob. The heal procs can be really dangerous at time.

aaa that's super good to know about the enchanter. That doesn't sound so scary.

RC sounds like it's just affected by input delay then. I wanna play with it, but it doesn't sound worth aiming over 190 right now.

Is RSX often killed? Can I randomly find it maybe?

Okay those charts... I'm maybe a bit sleepy they seem really close. The cards tho... Something for me to look into when I have more financial basis. I recall % cards not being so great but.. I guess that's calc material.

Thank you for being so helpful btw. I know I have a lot of really noob questions and probably some odd preconceptions because of how the other server is. Much to learn :p_idea:

I do about 18k per RC atm and I can take mobs of 5~6 so long as I don't get blinded. Is that good or bad? (I just hit 151)

Edited by Xellie, 14 October 2016 - 01:07 AM.

#23 son12

son12

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 794 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 01:07 AM

I wanna give some advices too but ppl already gave you pretty decent ones xD

umm, are you planning to start a guild here on Renewal?

#24 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 14 October 2016 - 01:10 AM

Hey I'm reading it all. I like to get everyone's opinions and learn all the things and options :)

As for the guild question, I can't answer that. :p_laugh:

#25 yamasakai90

yamasakai90

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3029 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 01:21 AM

I was only doing 14-17k with my noob gears at 150 all the way to 175, on average 18k-22k is the mid higher end I guess?

There's actually one on sale at /navi prontera 100/52 for 18m at the moment.

They are actually really really close. The only difference is the Extra Slot on Crimson vs Leech on Thana and Level 3 vs Level 4 weapon, refinining being the hard part. Damage wise its really really close.

No biggie! Remember all those nubcake questions I asked during the History Re-enactment event? xD Thanks for being patience with me back then.

Oh and RSX, 2 hours timer. Its quite out of the way so not many people camp it I guess. I only know two person who does when they are awake/bored. Spawns randomly so it goes to whoever finds it first I guess.

Edited by yamasakai90, 14 October 2016 - 01:23 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users