Regional Pricing Explained - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Regional Pricing Explained

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
59 replies to this topic

#1 Campitor

Campitor

Darned Forever

• RO1 Production
  • 11063 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online

Posted 26 October 2016 - 08:58 AM

What is it?
Regional pricing is the practice where prices of goods and services (in this case WPE) are adjusted to meet the economic reality of a certain region.

Why is it done?
Because it is very easy to price yourself out of a region. If your product is too expensive that only a few can afford it. Then almost no one will buy it. For businesses such as our it is important to make some of the money instead no money.

Do you have an example?

Currently using their special region payment option Brazilian users can purchase 2500 WPE for about 20 USD.

US Minimum wage is 7.25 USD/hr. 25 USD of points then represents 3.44 hours of labor.

Brazilian Minimum wage is 4 BRL/hr or 1.28 USD/hr. 25 USD of points would then represent 19.53 hours of labor.

This is a lot to ask anyone to pay for a video game.

By allowing for a slight loss the Brazilian player has to work 15.62 hours in order to pay for 25 USD worth of points. This is still a lot to ask. Unfortunately if we set it too low it would lead to wide abuse by players not in the region that we are targeting.

Since we want as many players as we can adventuring, MVPing, WoEing, and participating in all aspects of the game it is important to offer them at least some relief from the differences in wages between the countries. So that all can participate in the game. These payment options are supposed to be region locked so that only users from the areas being targeted with the regional pricing are allowed to use them. The Universal Payment options such as paypal always charge the full USD amount.

Why doesn't X Region have a similar payment option?
For each region it comes down to what payment processors/options we are able to partner with for individual countries. If you have suggestions I am sure that the payment team would be happy to hear them. Usually the payment processor that is unique to a region will have the regional pricing. The Universal Payment options such as paypal always charge the full USD amount.

Isn't this unfair to countries that don't have these bonuses?
Users from economically stronger countries are in the unique position where they can take advantage of sales events and conversion bonuses. When we run one of these events they are able to maximize their bonuses. In general users from other regions are unable to do so.

Is this some kind of Unique harebrained Warpportal idea?
No, regional pricing is an issue the entire games industry has struggled with. PC Gamer has done a relatively decent article covering the subject here: http://www.pcgamer.c...ound-the-world/ There are both good and bad ways of going about this and we would like to believe that we are going towards a more fair option for consumers from all over the world.

#2 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • Twitter:@nekoxellie
  • LocationValhalla
  • Server:Europe ban!

Posted 26 October 2016 - 09:35 AM

wow I wish this applied to my region. Minimum wage is less but our currency fell so now RO is unrealistic to pay for compared to before :(

#3 PervySageMarty

PervySageMarty

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3956 posts
  • LocationUnderground like a wild potato
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 26 October 2016 - 09:52 AM

wow I wish this applied to my region. Minimum wage is less but our currency fell so now RO is unrealistic to pay for compared to before :(

my regions problem is cost of living goes up, but wages have not increased, and with the fall of our dollar compared to USD, it makes RO cost nearly 1.5x more costly. This reflects in my KP product sales but I do try to give people that buy off me a small discount where applicable without causing me huge profit losses.

#4 3809151027155131517

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 09:57 AM

Totally understand how this works.

Please fix my payment error? I missed the entire ore sale event. Now this boxes is so overpriced in ragial.

This vendors are now exploiting it.

Its been 5 days no response.

Edited by 3809151027155131517, 26 October 2016 - 09:59 AM.

#5 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • Twitter:@nekoxellie
  • LocationValhalla
  • Server:Europe ban!

Posted 26 October 2016 - 10:05 AM

my regions problem is cost of living goes up, but wages have not increased, and with the fall of our dollar compared to USD, it makes RO cost nearly 1.5x more costly. This reflects in my KP product sales but I do try to give people that buy off me a small discount where applicable without causing me huge profit losses.

Yeah, basically the same - living costs are rising, currency strength fell and wages are stagnant. Although it's stronger than the dollar, it's still made RO unviable as an expense.

side note: the cost of living in america is really cheap ):

#6 3809151027155131517

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 10:08 AM

Yeah, basically the same - living costs are rising, currency strength fell and wages are stagnant. Although it's stronger than the dollar, it's still made RO unviable as an expense.

side note: the cost of living in america is really cheap ):

Eh, this is all ober the world, even here in US of A. Rent, food, subway, internet, and son increases every year and the wage increase does not make up for it, thats if you get a raise.

#7 ShinobiEX3

ShinobiEX3

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6862 posts
  • LocationForest

Posted 26 October 2016 - 10:19 AM

The United states is easier to make money than anywhere else. AS for ph I would say give them a discount they've been through alot already. GI've them some tax cuts if possible. ;)

#8 diikhlaskan

diikhlaskan

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 338 posts
  • LocationJakarta, Indonesia, Payon City

Posted 26 October 2016 - 11:10 AM

Indonesian minimum wage is 0.47$/Hour per january 2016

not even half of brazilian

we have more than 150 active member in our Line Group, all of them Indonesian and regularly asking for WPE.

not to mention much more other countrymate who is not in our guild.

almost half of us level really slow because of vip.

it would be nice if we can get at least brazilian prize.

i dont intend to be a cry baby,

cause you make this thread, its not hurt to hear some voice right?

Edited by diikhlaskan, 26 October 2016 - 11:27 AM.

#9 ChakriGuard

ChakriGuard

Azzylike

• Members
  • 10845 posts
  • Server:Renew Chaos

Posted 26 October 2016 - 11:38 AM

Time to migrate to Australia if you are from South East Asia or Canada if you're from Middle east or South Asia

Thank you France/England for exploring Aus and Can and now they are heavenly places for us immigrants <3

#10 Campitor

Campitor

Darned Forever

• RO1 Production
  • 11063 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 11:43 AM

Indonesian minimum wage is 0.47$/Hour per january 2016

not even half of brazilian

we have more than 150 active member in our Line Group, all of them Indonesian and regularly asking for WPE.

not to mention much more other countrymate who is not in our guild.

almost half of us level really slow because of vip.

it would be nice if we can get at least brazilian prize.

i dont intend to be a cry baby,

cause you make this thread, its not hurt to hear some voice right?

Feedback is important to us. So yes please leave it for us.

#11 Alligator2405

Alligator2405

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 105 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 26 October 2016 - 11:47 AM

Very good post. I have been trying to explain that to a few friends, they never understand how it works.

Some companies have regular conversion and fail because most people from poor countries cant afford that. So people seek for alternatives like buying from ilegal sources.

I can give an example: Buying 10k WPE is around 160 R$ for me. Ilegal sellers also sell cheap but they can never compete against Warpportal, because

we can afford WPE and pay good prices for it, so we actually have been buying a LOT of WPE.

I wish more game companies were like this, great post again.

Edited by Alligator2405, 26 October 2016 - 11:48 AM.

#12 Ashuckel

Ashuckel

'-' intensifies

• Members
  • 18996 posts
  • LocationJohto, Hoenn, Unova, Kalos, Alola

Posted 26 October 2016 - 12:08 PM

10k WPE was R$160 way back then. Its R$242 now if my memory doesnt fails me.

#13 ShinobiEX3

ShinobiEX3

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6862 posts
  • LocationForest

Posted 26 October 2016 - 12:32 PM

See I knew it would help alot of people if i brought this up again. Discounts for all not for just some ^.^

#14 ShoLin

ShoLin

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2107 posts
  • Server:Quit

Posted 26 October 2016 - 12:54 PM

Just further showing that the world is going to hell in a hand basket.

Rent $700

Food $250
Electric $50

Heat $100 (average, go go Canada's winter)

Transportation $50 (This would be public transit)

Internet to play this game $60

So $10.80 minimum wage at say average working 30 hours a week, would make $1296. You'll have a whole $86 left for everything else. Knowing me I forgot one other necessity.

A region locked discount, to stop abuse, for certain countries would be a good idea. It can be a pain even in countries like Canada and the US. So, it's even harder for countries like Brazil. Handing out discounts to everyone would hurt warpportal. Their player base in the US and etc would stay the same while profits would diminish. If they tactfully target certain countries they should have monetary gains.

Brazil seems the sameish cost of living as Canada, however the average wage is 30% lower than our minimum.

Edited by ShoLin, 26 October 2016 - 12:58 PM.

#15 Demeris

Demeris

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2213 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 01:02 PM

Just further showing that the world is going to hell in a hand basket.

Rent $700

Food $250
Electric $50

Heat $100 (average, go go Canada's winter)

Transportation $50 (This would be public transit)

Internet to play this game $60

So $10.80 minimum wage at say average working 30 hours a week, would make $1296. You'll have a whole $86 left for everything else. Knowing me I forgot one other necessity.

A region locked discount, to stop abuse, for certain countries would be a good idea. It can be a pain even in countries like Canada and the US. So, it's even harder for countries like Brazil. Handing out discounts to everyone would hurt warpportal. Their player base in the US and etc would stay the same while profits would diminish. If they tactfully target certain countries they should have monetary gains.

Brazil seems the sameish cost of living as Canada, however the average wage is 30% lower than our minimum.

You're not suppose to live luxuriously off of minimum wage.

#16 Ashuckel

Ashuckel

'-' intensifies

• Members
  • 18996 posts
  • LocationJohto, Hoenn, Unova, Kalos, Alola

Posted 26 October 2016 - 01:20 PM

Now add college bill to the equation :v

#17 ShoLin

ShoLin

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2107 posts
  • Server:Quit

Posted 26 October 2016 - 01:26 PM

You're not suppose to live luxuriously off of minimum wage.

to pursue the gaining of a livelihood in any province.

In the charter of rights and freedom. If you have next to no money or go into debt, hows your livelihood going to be? When you hit retirement you'll have nothing. CPP and old age is a joke in this country. If you're near the same age as me, you won't even see it.

Edited by ShoLin, 26 October 2016 - 01:28 PM.

#18 BlackMeow

BlackMeow

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2929 posts
  • LocationTree
  • Server:Both

Posted 26 October 2016 - 03:02 PM

Honestly i really dont care if everybody gets a discount as long as people from 3rd world countries will have their price adjustment.

#19 dagger47

dagger47

Awarded #1 Troll

• Banned
  • 594 posts
  • Server:chaos

Posted 26 October 2016 - 09:24 PM

Even tho im currently on a honeymoon break with my ps4, iv noticed and appreciate your recent valiant efforts to improve the game experience  for the MASSES. The many issues i raised and suggestions i gave in my previous posts from: affordable region locked WPE prices,more frequent affordable offers,rewards as intensives, increasing GM presence/response, listening to criticism ect ect all seem to be getting addressed.

Id like to think my posts encouraged you  :lol:  but even if they didn't ..and you don't even know who i am :p_sad:​ your certainty heading in the right direction...so well done mr campitor  :no1:

#20 Handersen

Handersen

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3272 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 10:52 PM

What if I'm Brazilian and I live in USA can I get Brazilian rates?

#21 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

My Offline Life is Nonexistent.

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts
  • Server:Sakray->Iris->Ymir->Chaos

Posted 26 October 2016 - 10:55 PM

Region =/= Ethnicity

#22 Handersen

Handersen

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3272 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 11:05 PM

How about if I have family that live in Brazil and tell them to buy it for me is this ok?

#23 ChakriGuard

ChakriGuard

Azzylike

• Members
  • 10845 posts
  • Server:Renew Chaos

Posted 26 October 2016 - 11:09 PM

That is what most people have been doing, I believe

#24 Handersen

Handersen

Too Legit To Quit