{{Navi}} on iROwiki idea (need iROwiki moderator approval) - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

{{Navi}} on iROwiki idea (need iROwiki moderator approval)

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Mathspy

Mathspy

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 542 posts
  • LocationWonderland
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online

Posted 02 January 2017 - 04:12 AM

Hello Forum lurkers specifically Wiki Editors or readers, I bring you today an idea to save the editors a lot of the hassle I have been noticing recently in the Recent Changes page

I guess this should have been posted on the other forums but I don't honestly remember my log in information there and I am hoping someone here can guide me to a wiki moderator (Mosu seems active but I don't know if he has an account on WP forums)

Basically to cut the chase the idea is to install this extension which I have already checked whether or not it will work with the WikiMedia/PHP/MySQL versions iROwiki is using and the answer is yes it will
Then use Regex to replace all the co-ordinates in every single page on the wiki with the new {{Navi}} template that has been getting implemented slowly
Of course needs a moderator to install the extension and then they can grant me access to its special page if they wish or take the Regular Expressions which I am going to include below and mass edit everything out

For the sake of showing it working I edited 3 pages using a chain of the three expression I made and the results can be seen here: Spy QuestAyothaya Dungeon Entrance Quest, and Eye of Hellion Quest
In case this was not accepted by moderators or unnoticed but you want to edit using the commands you may use this site if you're inexperienced with regex (Just make sure to click on the check "Enable regular expression") otherwise SublimeText and RegReplace are much more efficient

And finally the code:

Expression 1: (Replaces all old /navi whether they contain a link or not) (Updated to include chance of white spaces between the parentheses and the /navi, thanks Mosu)

\(?\s*'*/navi\s(?:\{\{map\|id\=)?([^\s]+)(?:\s[^\s]+\}\})?\s([0-9]{1,3})/([0-9]{1,3})'*\s*\)?

Expression 2: (Replaces all co-ordinates following the format of (prontera 52, 36) )

\(([^\s]+)\s([0-9]{1,3}),\s*([0-9]{1,3})\)

Expression 3: (Replaces all co-ordinates following the format of prontera (52, 36) only if prontera is linked because otherwise I found it replacing things like "go to spot (52, 36)")

\[\[([^\s]+)\]\]\s\(([0-9]{1,3}),\s*([0-9]{1,3})\)

All of which are replaced with this:

{{Navi|$1|$2|$3}}

Ah and final note, I learnt most of what I know about Regex today... So if you know a way to improve any of the expressions or mix all three magically please go ahead! I am by no means an expert but I just believe this will be way faster than editing hundreds of pages by hand.

Spoiler

Edited by Mathspy, 02 January 2017 - 09:02 AM.

#2 Myzery

Myzery

They pay me to post.

• Banned
  • 6670 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 02 January 2017 - 04:14 AM

This would be infinitely more useful.

#3 MisoSanSoup

MisoSanSoup

I am New.

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 04:45 AM

YESSS! we need this in our lives! 

#4 Kadelia

Kadelia

Rainbow Sparkle, Go!

• Members
  • 14312 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA
  • Server:Chaos/Renewal

Posted 02 January 2017 - 05:53 AM

i can't install extensions on ly blueness can i don't have root access to the webhost or the wiki

#5 Mosu

Mosu

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1115 posts
  • LocationMinnesota/Virginia
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 02 January 2017 - 07:11 AM

I previously updated the Regex page here: http://irowiki.org/w...xpression_magic that way it included the variations of ( ''' and (''', etc.

I, however, do not know how the variable portion works (the $1, $2, $3).

I usually do it manually if there's only one or two /navi or if I'm re-writing the guide themself. Otherwise I use Notepad++ to convert the first half, and then use my macros to finish the part after the coordinates.

#6 Mathspy

Mathspy

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 542 posts
  • LocationWonderland

Posted 02 January 2017 - 09:00 AM

i can't install extensions on ly blueness can i don't have root access to the webhost or the wiki 

I previously updated the Regex page here: http://irowiki.org/w...xpression_magic that way it included the variations of ( ''' and (''', etc.
I, however, do not know how the variable portion works (the $1, $2, $3).

I usually do it manually if there's only one or two /navi or if I'm re-writing the guide themself. Otherwise I use Notepad++ to convert the first half, and then use my macros to finish the part after the coordinates.

Would it be possible for either of you to contact Blueness with the suggestion?

Oh I didn't notice this, almost identical to my Expression 1

Basically for every pair of parentheses () in the "find" expression the engine will remember a variable and start giving them numbers so that they are ordered in the way they were contained or captured

Spoiler

With SublimeText and RegReplace (A Plugin for Sublime) All I need now is to copy paste the page's code and then write a command that starts the chain of expressions and thanks to the second expression not only are the old /navi's getting caught but also all the old (payon 245, 21) as well. Anyway this can be automated to a whole new level if we are able to get our hands on Replace Text extension, really. The whole wiki will be done in few seconds

Side note: I saw that dragon profile before! But I don't usually catch names, would have instead just message you, my fault

#7 Kadelia

Kadelia

Rainbow Sparkle, Go!

• Members
  • 14312 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA

Posted 02 January 2017 - 09:39 AM

I know how to write regexes, I just can't install atom. I also don't think its really needed at this point as I don't believe we even have a bunch of pages that still need the switchover anymore?? its like you've got a solution in search of a problem.

#8 Mathspy

Mathspy

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 542 posts
  • LocationWonderland

Posted 02 January 2017 - 10:12 AM

I was just explaining to Mosu about $1 and how they work

Here you go

http://irowiki.org/wiki/Language_Quest

http://irowiki.org/w...Ore_Downgrading

http://irowiki.org/wiki/Meat_Exchange

http://irowiki.org/w...President_Quest

http://irowiki.org/w...ion_Ingredients

Some examples of smaller pages that will most likely never be noticed by editors due to their insignificance and probably some bigger quests out there that could use this. I literally switched Spy Quest over today, that was, once upon a time, one of the biggest sources of money to me when Jewellery Box was worth the effort put into that quest

There is no problem really... even without {{Navi}} there was no problem to be frank, it's all but conveniences for readers and editors in this case. If Blueness is hard to reach I guess it won't be worth the effort for either of you but if all of this is one installation (which is really simple) away then I don't see why not?

#9 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • Twitter:@nekoxellie
  • LocationValhalla
  • Server:Europe ban!

Posted 02 January 2017 - 10:21 AM

It is nice, but here's a practical question : people who haven't seen this topic will still try to copy paste normally right?

I have contact to blueness, just really need to make sure it's worth the effort. mediawiki can be annoying to work with.

#10 Mathspy

Mathspy

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 542 posts
  • LocationWonderland

Posted 02 January 2017 - 10:26 AM

It is nice, but here's a practical question : people who haven't seen this topic will still try to copy paste normally right?

I have contact to blueness, just really need to make sure it's worth the effort. mediawiki can be annoying to work with.

No this implements the new {{Navi}} template which you can see here, once the changes are done {{Navi}} should be working in every page on the wiki. The text in light blue can be clicked and instantly copied like that

{{Navi}} already exists it just needs to be manually migrated to in every single page which the extension I suggested installing would help with by automating it

#11 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • Twitter:@nekoxellie
  • LocationValhalla
  • Server:Europe ban!

Posted 02 January 2017 - 10:32 AM

can you do this : Make a new acc on wiki forums, tell me the name, I'll approve it and you PM Blueness and Resplendent

Seems like the best way

#12 Kadelia

Kadelia

Rainbow Sparkle, Go!

• Members
  • 14312 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA

Posted 03 January 2017 - 04:22 AM

i have contact to blueness on skype through his significant other, but I am not convinced this is worth doing.

I'm the one that made the {{navi}} template btw and it involved writing javascript into the main js template.

Edited by Kadelia, 03 January 2017 - 04:23 AM.

#13 fuyukikun

fuyukikun

Disney Prince in Disguise

• Members
  • 12269 posts
  • LocationIndonesia
  • Server:Chaos, on hiatus

Posted 03 January 2017 - 04:49 AM

i approve every betterment for irowiki <3

#14 Mathspy

Mathspy

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 542 posts
  • LocationWonderland

Posted 03 January 2017 - 06:00 AM

i have contact to blueness on skype through his significant other, but I am not convinced this is worth doing.

I'm the one that made the {{navi}} template btw and it involved writing javascript into the main js template.

Thanks Kaddy! And I was able, thanks to Xellie, to contact Resp as well

Yes yes I know, it's a truly marvelous idea, thank you very much for implementing it so well

#15 Kadelia

Kadelia

Rainbow Sparkle, Go!

• Members
  • 14312 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA

Posted 12 January 2017 - 11:43 AM

All done. Something over 200 articles were updated

Edited by Kadelia, 12 January 2017 - 12:07 PM.

#16 ChaoticRK

ChaoticRK

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3228 posts
  • Locationprt_fild08
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 12 January 2017 - 01:07 PM

Good job Kaddy. Now quests are a matter of click and paste.  :heh:

#17 Mosu

Mosu

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1115 posts
  • LocationMinnesota/Virginia

Posted 12 January 2017 - 03:31 PM

Assuming the editors and I write the guides well!

#18 Kadelia

Kadelia

Rainbow Sparkle, Go!

• Members
  • 14312 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA

Posted 12 January 2017 - 05:22 PM

^_^

#19 mrricebox

mrricebox

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2194 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Canada

Posted 12 January 2017 - 05:27 PM

Unless you're me and reword/reformat your original quest guide to make it more aesthetically pleasing...

#20 BlackMeow

BlackMeow

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2929 posts
  • LocationTree
  • Server:Both

Posted 13 January 2017 - 06:52 AM

i love it when people do things like this even if there's no reward.

22448_thank-you-zach-galifianakis.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users