• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 KitanaWalker

KitanaWalker

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 426 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 06:36 PM

I'm very new to ragnarok and i wanted to know the things i need to be aware of in order to build a successful gunslinger.
The things i want to know above all else are:
that assignment of base stats, do I just max AGI and DEX or will that cause problems?
where do I go to get the gunslinger job quest? Its not obvious how to get there from the website
Will this class be too difficult for someone unfamiliar with ragnarok?
Is there anything Im not thinking of that you feel I should know heading into this job path?

#2 Chucklet

Chucklet

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 502 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands [NL], stuck in traffic.
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Ymir(?)

Posted 09 December 2010 - 11:38 PM

(EDIT: it looked a lot smaller in the editor lol, made you a very short summary):
Ok before I start my huge morning rant about gunslingers, If you're new to RO, I'd say try a different class first (just not any of the expanded classes mentioned here.) I will later explain why. Just trying to spare you the trouble of reading it all. It is a fun class to play, but not as a first time char imo..

When you decide to play gunslinger you can take this into mind (this is of course MY opinion, and other opinions may differ):
-----
Ok, first off, stats:
Agi Dex would be a proper build. You will have good damage from dex and a good amount of flee from your agi. However, it will have drawbacks. These drawbacks come from your skillbuild and our weapon usage, as you can choose to specialize in pistols, rifles, shotguns, chainguns and even grenade launchers. All have their + and -'s and I can only give my opinion. For an easy road you should take pistols as your main, as this is easiest I think. This way you can both 'point-click' or kill big groups (mobs) as a leveling method. But even an AGI,DEX build has its drawbacks, especially for mobbing. As using agi as your def stat with desperado leaves you open to a lowered flee mod, causing you to get hit hard. Gunslingers have a dodge skill (gunslingers panic), but it is an active skill and reduces your hit. This however can be countered by your high dex, but I'm not much of a fan of that skill (due to it's position in the skill tree). I myself have an agi/dex based gunslinger and mobbing with desperado is fine, but I need some serious flee gear (flee carded pantie undershirt combo-ish) to get the boost you need for mobbing groups greater than 4 monsters :P. Single target skills are very SP intensive and often cannot be spammed that well (if you want to). But, Agi Dex is often the way to go for ranged characters, altho you could also go VIT instead of AGI (reducing incoming damage and a higher HP + better potion usages, by trading off the attack speed and flee). Vit is often said to be usefull for mobbing, but it depends on who you ask. But in the sense of 'point-click' damage per second, AGI DEX is a very usefull build. High hit, high attack speed. Skills are quite sp intensive you a little INT would be usefull if you intent to be using alot of skills.

Job quest:
The IRO websites have not been updated very well. They are working on it, but are VERY much behind. For now I would say to use IroWiki: Link however, irowiki is also a little behind in updating some articles, altho this one seems semi-acurate.
You can get to Einbroch via the airship in Izlude (or via Juno warp NPC). Irowiki is also very usefull for all RO-related info (i.e.: gunslinger main page, Another link also has some nice tips skillwise, but is not entirely udated for renewal...).

Will it be too difficult:
Well, no. In my opinion ANY ranged class is an easy start, as you can really race trough to level 99. With the last mayor update (renewal) any class will do that quite easy. In terms of gameplay it will not be difficult if you take time. In terms of getting equip/ammo... It is a little more difficult since Einbroch is a rotten town to get to (and ugly as sin). But since you can get to 99 by point and click easily I will not say it is too difficult. If you know your way around MMO's and are not afraid of a 'little' grinding for exp, you'll do fine as a gunslinger (even as a first character).

What should you know:
Gunslingers are different from many of the other classes. It is an so called expanded class, which in the case of gunslinger means you can only go from 'novice>gunslinger (99/70)'. Unlike other classes there is as of yet NO next class to 'trancend' to. (as many other classes can go from "novice>1st>2nd>high novice>high 1st>trancendant>3rd"). So when you hit 99 as a gunslinger, that is it. Untill the next mayor update that is. <<<This would be the main reason I don't think it is a good class to start with unless you are really determined to be a gunslinger first :o . That and it being a class that in my opinion won't let you get the feel of the game very well (the 'atmosphere' if you will). Also, Advanced equip is harder (read: costs more zeny) to come by as not too many people play this class. I do believe PvP is quite fun with this kind of class but they lack hugely in hp/sp mods from an advanced class, which is quite a drawback for pvp.
Also, plan your skillbuild http://irowiki.org/~...skill4/gun.html .

Yeah this is pretty much MY view of the class. Not great for beginners due to the 'restrictions' but once you get a feel of the game, definately make one. You can pretty much have any build (even Dex + Vit/Agi could be an option) and take whatever route in the skilltree and have great fun with the class (at least I did).
----

I hope this helped somewhat. I could have given a shorter rant and just refered you to the linked websites, but I got into it, and wrote this instead of reading the morning newspaper :unsure:. If you need more info just reply to this thread and when ingame you can always ask someone for help/tips (MOST people are very nice).

Edited by Chucklet, 09 December 2010 - 11:40 PM.

#3 KitanaWalker

KitanaWalker

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 426 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 07:56 AM

(EDIT: it looked a lot smaller in the editor lol, made you a very short summary):
Ok before I start my huge morning rant about gunslingers, If you're new to RO, I'd say try a different class first (just not any of the expanded classes mentioned here.) I will later explain why. Just trying to spare you the trouble of reading it all. It is a fun class to play, but not as a first time char imo..

When you decide to play gunslinger you can take this into mind (this is of course MY opinion, and other opinions may differ):
-----
Ok, first off, stats:
Agi Dex would be a proper build. You will have good damage from dex and a good amount of flee from your agi. However, it will have drawbacks. These drawbacks come from your skillbuild and our weapon usage, as you can choose to specialize in pistols, rifles, shotguns, chainguns and even grenade launchers. All have their + and -'s and I can only give my opinion. For an easy road you should take pistols as your main, as this is easiest I think. This way you can both 'point-click' or kill big groups (mobs) as a leveling method. But even an AGI,DEX build has its drawbacks, especially for mobbing. As using agi as your def stat with desperado leaves you open to a lowered flee mod, causing you to get hit hard. Gunslingers have a dodge skill (gunslingers panic), but it is an active skill and reduces your hit. This however can be countered by your high dex, but I'm not much of a fan of that skill (due to it's position in the skill tree). I myself have an agi/dex based gunslinger and mobbing with desperado is fine, but I need some serious flee gear (flee carded pantie undershirt combo-ish) to get the boost you need for mobbing groups greater than 4 monsters :o. Single target skills are very SP intensive and often cannot be spammed that well (if you want to). But, Agi Dex is often the way to go for ranged characters, altho you could also go VIT instead of AGI (reducing incoming damage and a higher HP + better potion usages, by trading off the attack speed and flee). Vit is often said to be usefull for mobbing, but it depends on who you ask. But in the sense of 'point-click' damage per second, AGI DEX is a very usefull build. High hit, high attack speed. Skills are quite sp intensive you a little INT would be usefull if you intent to be using alot of skills.

Job quest:
The IRO websites have not been updated very well. They are working on it, but are VERY much behind. For now I would say to use IroWiki: Link however, irowiki is also a little behind in updating some articles, altho this one seems semi-acurate.
You can get to Einbroch via the airship in Izlude (or via Juno warp NPC). Irowiki is also very usefull for all RO-related info (i.e.: gunslinger main page, Another link also has some nice tips skillwise, but is not entirely udated for renewal...).

Will it be too difficult:
Well, no. In my opinion ANY ranged class is an easy start, as you can really race trough to level 99. With the last mayor update (renewal) any class will do that quite easy. In terms of gameplay it will not be difficult if you take time. In terms of getting equip/ammo... It is a little more difficult since Einbroch is a rotten town to get to (and ugly as sin). But since you can get to 99 by point and click easily I will not say it is too difficult. If you know your way around MMO's and are not afraid of a 'little' grinding for exp, you'll do fine as a gunslinger (even as a first character).

What should you know:
Gunslingers are different from many of the other classes. It is an so called expanded class, which in the case of gunslinger means you can only go from 'novice>gunslinger (99/70)'. Unlike other classes there is as of yet NO next class to 'trancend' to. (as many other classes can go from "novice>1st>2nd>high novice>high 1st>trancendant>3rd"). So when you hit 99 as a gunslinger, that is it. Untill the next mayor update that is. <<<This would be the main reason I don't think it is a good class to start with unless you are really determined to be a gunslinger first :P . That and it being a class that in my opinion won't let you get the feel of the game very well (the 'atmosphere' if you will). Also, Advanced equip is harder (read: costs more zeny) to come by as not too many people play this class. I do believe PvP is quite fun with this kind of class but they lack hugely in hp/sp mods from an advanced class, which is quite a drawback for pvp.
Also, plan your skillbuild http://irowiki.org/~...skill4/gun.html .

Yeah this is pretty much MY view of the class. Not great for beginners due to the 'restrictions' but once you get a feel of the game, definately make one. You can pretty much have any build (even Dex + Vit/Agi could be an option) and take whatever route in the skilltree and have great fun with the class (at least I did).
----

I hope this helped somewhat. I could have given a shorter rant and just refered you to the linked websites, but I got into it, and wrote this instead of reading the morning newspaper :unsure:. If you need more info just reply to this thread and when ingame you can always ask someone for help/tips (MOST people are very nice).

Thank you so much for replying to my post. About 4 hours went by and no one said anything, and I was like wtf?
I've done the beginning portions of Ragnarok twice and still have no feel for the game. Can't skill spam very well. Can't stay alive very well. I've played Dragon Saga for over year and I love the game, but I was craving an old school RPG and thought Ragnarok would be good. No one seems very social in the game, and after picking a job class I'm always completely lost, wandering aimlessly, trying to figure out what to do.

#4 Chucklet

Chucklet

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 502 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands [NL], stuck in traffic.
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Ymir(?)

Posted 10 December 2010 - 10:38 AM

Thank you so much for replying to my post. About 4 hours went by and no one said anything, and I was like wtf?
I've done the beginning portions of Ragnarok twice and still have no feel for the game. Can't skill spam very well. Can't stay alive very well. I've played Dragon Saga for over year and I love the game, but I was craving an old school RPG and thought Ragnarok would be good. No one seems very social in the game, and after picking a job class I'm always completely lost, wandering aimlessly, trying to figure out what to do.

Yeah some parts of the forums take some time to get a reply, since expanded classes are not as popular as others this therefore takes some more time.

I have to ask, what server are you playing on? If It's Valkyrie, the reason nobody seems social is because at least 90% of the population (random figure) are bots. Ymir is better that way (has 'almost' no bots and a medium population) and some say Ygg would be best social wise (prolly no bots, but polulation is quite low atm). Of course Valkyrie is free and the others are not (but will be VERY soon, or so I've heard), but that a choice you have to make.

I agree that ever since Renewal the feel of the game has changed somewhat for new players I guess. You can job change at an extremely low base level, leaving you a 1st job stuck at very low level monsters. The game also requires some knowhow, since monsters more than 5 levels below you yield a lower amount of exp than normal and monsters 16 levels above you give almost no exp at all. Also the quests that should/could guide one through the game are hard to find and not very well explained ingame (has been a point of discussion for years). You could try the 'Eden Group NPC's' that are nearby Kafra's, which should help you guide your way to leveling up a little (but I have never ever used them... So I can't tell you much about it).

But of course, some people like Ro and others just don't. I can't force you to like it, that's solely your decicion :P .

#5 cidthedarkangel

cidthedarkangel

I am New.

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 07:26 PM

Hey! so, i'm a new to the game as well, and i'd love to start out with a gunslinger. This was really helpful, except i'm having trouble finding the items for the job change quest itself. I can't find enemies that drop the spore or the green herb, and I'm having some issues reading all the map info fromt he wiki... i guess i'm jsut asking for a straight up answer on where to look

#6 dedinvegas

dedinvegas

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 05:44 PM

If you go to the map to the right (east) of Payon you will find spores. They drop mushroom spores frequently so you should have no trouble finding one. The green herbs are sometimes dropped by wormtails (on the same map) or fabres but your best bet is to find green grass, it doesn't attack back, but it can be hard to find sometimes as it hides behind trees among green grass that can conceal it well. The map west of Alberta is probably your best bet for finding a green herb. The trunk is what always gets me because the drop rate from willows is so low that you could be hunting them for a very long time before you are able to pick one up. Anyways I think the biggest drawback to playing a slinger is the infrequency of bullet vendors, there are only 3 places to buy bullets: Alberta, Izude, and Einbroch. By contrast I believe theres a place to buy arrows in every city in the game. I hope that helps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users