15 replies to this topic

#1 SanctumBellator

SanctumBellator

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 04:41 PM

Hello guys!

I'm a huge fan of the Swordsman Classes,Monk and Sage lines too(but most part of the time I played as Lord and Pally),and I have some experience with the game before Renewal( tried nearly every possible build for LK and Pally ),played for years on bRO, but near the transition to Renewal I stopped playing, and I came back some months ago trying to understand all the new things and mechanics that changed. bRO was stinking and then I decided to came here to iRO, so it's my first time on the server.
Sadly I'm still crawling at understanding deeply the new system and I'm having a really hard time with my favorite class of all, the Royal Guard.
I have a LOT of question and really hope you guys can help me.

So, I'm absolutely lost with the options for a RG Build.
I'm here searching more for a in-depth knowledge of the class from its roots to the top in every possible way, than a short straight decision of build.

So let's start with the objectives:

-First Step: I want an effective way to level up, so I need some infos about PvM Builds and about all the skills i will ask 

-Second Step: After reaching 175/60 I'm planning to reset and focus on MvP and Instance Dungeons,so I need some advices on MvP Builds too, because I'm going to need the best equipments to start my next and final step:

-Third Step: Battleground + PvP + WoE

Based on this I have some questions about the skills first

I basically love every single one, from Grand Cross to Battle Chant and Prestige, so it's really hard to decide which i should get
 let's get started:

---Sacrifice: wasn't this skill supposed to transfer shield buffs (like guard,shield reflect and defending aura) to the target? I play with a Priest friend and he says that nothing shows on his buff screen when I cast it on him with my shield buffs on. And during our level up to 99 I haven't seen any sign of Guard activating or damage being reflected to the mob when he was attacked. Has Renewal changed it to  let me just absorb the damage for him, or the skill is bugged?

---Grand Cross: love this spell, always loved it, and have been playing my first run here on iRO to the 99 with a GC Sader. My question is: as a RG how viable for PvM, MvP and WoE/PvP/BG is this skill? If not viable for MVP or Player combat, is it at least worth for level up above Lv100?

I know it demands a lot of healing stuffs but I don't actually got too much problem with it, I have a Scatleton, and the recovery bonus he gives from Fresh Fish is very decent, at least for now.

Based on what I found and trough my testing: for most monsters, the ATK/STR part of the damage is more important than the MATK/INT (this one affects more the Holy part of the damage, and that means dealing more damage to Shadow/Undead/allgoodlord'senemies).

So can this be a viable option to level up as Overbrand?(yes, I know, Overbrand is -_- awesome, but I'm kind tired of turning my head and see 9999999 RGs using the same build, it looks like the class lost a lot of versatility power and only one skill now is the answer for everything)

If it's viable, what equipments should I use on it?
Should I try forging an Excalibur? 

Does cards of race/size or bypass of defs work on it now? (Some places says that yes they work, others say it don't work,just like pre renewal,I'm confused) what exactly can affect the damage of Grand Cross besides STR,INT,LUK? ( I was thinking of using Brocca with it,as it pierces defense )

Aspersio amplifies it's damage against "God's enemies" because of the weapon attack part, so...Would a Bazerald(that has Fire element imbued) make me do more damage to Earth Element Monsters? A Schweizersabel(Wind) will help me do more damage to Water Monsters?

Saw someone out there saying that with Piety,from RG, you can negate the damage you take from GC apart from the 20% default HP cost and don't need to use Archdam Combo or Angeling anymore, opening more options for armor cards for the build, so I really got happy and was thinking of making it one of my priorities.

---Shield Chain

Same question as above^^

Can this single target skill be useful as a RG?
I now its very useful during the Paladin Level Up, but after I become a RG this skill is going to be lame and left behind compared to the damage on any other options RG offers?

---Martyr's Reckoning 

Basically the same question again lol

Played as MR AGI/VIT build a lot and was kind thinking how it is now, is it's damage still amazing?
Can I use it for WoE and PVP purposes and be equally powerful to Overbrand builds? (maybe not so powerful but at least a little close to it, or maybe use MR as a secondary skill that a support RG can have in its Sleeve when needed)

---Shield Reflect and Reflect Damage

So, when I first heard of Reflect Damage I instantly thought: wow this -_- is probably the evolution of Reflect Damage, I won't need to use it anymore, I can reflect even magic now,I will reflect Guilhotine Fist in area! *BEHOLD THE POWER OF THE CREATOR*
But yeah...Well they nerfed it hard...It drains too much mana, it's not 100% sure to reflect the damage, it has a maximum number of reflects before it dissipates, and can't be used with Shield Reflect(one of my favorite skills btw, I feel so safe when I have it on '-' )
So I was wondering, is it still worth it in any of the three cases(PvM,MVP and players)?

Does the effect of a Tjungkulleti or Thanatos Spear gonna trigger and help recover SP when I reflect the damage to a lot of people/monsters?

---Exceed Break

So, this skill looks amazing and I really like the thought of OHKO a lot of people when needed, Double Attack works with it and it can critical hit.
So basically the build that most get advantage of this skill is a High LUK/STR Paladin?
Is it viable without high LUK?
Can I OHKO people just with a normal hit of a very heavy weapon?The formula and damage calculations don't look VERY trustable that I can do it without LUK and Double Attack(it reminds me a lot of MR but it's just one hit and don't eat my HP down,but on the other hand Exceed Break has a cast)
This skill looks like more of a "FINISH HIM" skill,not a priority one. You cast it, then use Earth Drive to reduce the defenses of the enemy, use your other skills like Vanishing Point spam,Overbrand,Shield Chain or even MR(if I recall correctly MR attacks have priority over Exceed Break, so if you hit someone with the 5 hits of MR first you can easily finish off with the 6th hit that would be the Exceed Break)

What are your thoughts about it? Its one of the RG skills that makes me feel more lost.

---Vanguard Force and Burst Attack 

So, what affects Burst Attack's damage besides wrath counters and low HP?
Is it affected by STR?
Can it be dodged or it ignores flee?

There's just no information detailed about this skill anywhere I looked...

I have something on my mind for PvP and BG(maybe WoE too) with this skill:

Vanguard Force looks amazing with the buffs that it gives,I think even without Burst Attack it really is useful as it cannot be dispelled(correct me if I'm wrong). And if you're a Tank that gives Sacrifice and support spells and of course whistand a lot of damage, you can cast Burst Attack without too much headache I think...and besides it gives extra Def bonus, not bad for a Tank right?
As I said I played as MR AGI/VIT Pally and was thinking of a offensive stance combo based on those elements:Vanguard Force,Burst Attack and MR.
MR consumes HP and when all the wrath counters are activated I just need to take care of my HP (obviously this is going to be a build that makes a lot of use of healing stuffs), so I can hit someone with all the power of Burst Attack if the enemy haven't fall to the MR,just imagine the damage that a Glorious Spear would do with this, bypassing 25% of defense with Burst Attack after 5 MR of a very high VIT RG O.O (it gets even more absurd if the RG have a TAO Gunka card)

It kind looks like the strategy above, of Exceed Break, but I think this one is even more interesting, because if Exceed Break really needs LUK to shine, a MR build normally don't have neither LUK nor STR so they don't really match in the same build, but with this one I just need AGI and VIT - and maybe DEX, don't know if it is dodgeable - (as I said, the idea is to be a support and tank that can help offensively when needed, of course this will happen only when not receiving damage from the Sacrifice of other party members, this way I can assume a offensive stance without needing to worry with my HP being obliterated by both MR and Sacrifice )

---Prestige

This skill looks pretty intesting too, it gives A LOT of defense(really sad it can't be cast when in Inspiration Mode), and the chance to dodge isn't bad if the RG have both high int and LUK.

The only question is: Why would a RG haver both INT and LUK very high?
There's not a single skill besides prestige that makes use of both...okay there's Grand Cross, but then comes the problem with it being good for PVP and WOE or not...

Oh, and can it be dispelled?

---Vanishing Point 

Can it really be spammed based on your ASPD?
What exactly influences the damage of this skill besides Bash and the Base Character lvl? STR?
If so,this skill looks really amazing to any STR build

---Banding

Does all the bonus of a level 5 Banding(+60 attack,+10 DEF, 25% Chance to inflict Overawe for 10 seconds) apply to me even if I'm alone, without other Royal Guards near me?
Or it only works and gives bonuses If there's at least one Royal guard banding with me?

---Overbrand

So everyone says this skill is absurd and really powerful.
I have some question about the 3rd part of the damage, the knockback.
There's not a way of always making it happen right? You always have to be near something that you can push the enemy backwards to hit it? Unless the enemy uses something that prevents knockback (i think? like the Strong shield)
Without the knockback part, the damage of this skill is still very high?

---Inspiration

Really, wtf Gravity had on their head when they thought somebody would use this skill? Consuming Experience??? 
Its surely make the RG a Titan wrecking havoc for some time, but it's cooldown is 5m and consumes Exp...
Am I the only one here that cant see a viable use for this?
Can I at least heal myself while using this HP&SP draining skill?
Can I recast all the buffs that are turned off when I cast it?
I can only think of it as a last resource to Conquer a castle or put a lot of pressure on enemy team or killing an MVP but I don't know...This is by far the most intriguing skill on the RG.

And even with this skill i don't know if Hesperus Lit and Ray of Genesis are going to be really powerful... Have someone tested?

Some say that when a RG is in Inspiration Mode he counts for 3 RG is it true?

Is there a way to recover the lost exp if you are at Max Lvl? I never stopped to pay attention to the exp numbers after max lvl,does it still goes up if I kill more monsters? 

---Defending Aura

Does it reduces damage from AD?
Now that RG have good and solid ranged attacks besides Shield Chain there's a way to VIT based RG retaliate against Creators while still using an active Defending Aura( if it works on AD of course )

---Hesperus Lit

What exactly counts towards the damage for this skill?
It has a medium time cooldown, probably isn't worth using alone in Inspiration but who knows, maybe if you use other skills between it's recharge...
Just like Banding, Inspiration and Ray of Genesis, this skill is an absolute mystery to me

---Battle Chant

How exactly the buffs and negative effects works with this skill? (Does the level of battle chant influences the quality of the buffs/debuffs I'm going to give to others, or its absolutely aleatory from Lvl 1 to lvl 10 no matter how I upgrade the skill?)

The buffs to my allies and the negative effects to the enemies are going to last only while i'm with battle chant active or for example I can,in the WoE, cast it in the middle of my allies and enemies,they'll receive an aleatory buff/debuff and then I can turn battle chant off and they will still have the buffs/debuffs actives until they die/until the buff expires for itself?

Equipment:

Is The Sign still useful?
What about the Medals of Honor from BG?

I think that for now its just that, sorry for this post getting so big guys, but I havent found any answer for those questions nowhere...

thanks a lot

Edited by SanctumBellator, 08 January 2017 - 08:04 PM.

#2 PervySageMarty

PervySageMarty

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3958 posts
  • LocationUnderground like a wild potato
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 10 January 2017 - 04:39 AM

I can only answer some of your questions to the best of my abilities as I have little experience on real RG knowhow.

Sacrifice: you must recast the buffs after sac'ing someone to give them the buffs that nitmally transfer. If you still experience problems then thats something you may need to report to the technical section of the forums.

Reflection: I find RD brilliant in pvm scenarios to help keep mobs on yourself as well as helping to proc many things. I am not sure in woe what is prefered though. The nerf to RD is actually very trivial, it is just that instead of having a long time before the buff ends, it can end due to hit count or HP breaching, and as most players these days are getting lazier and lazier, they rather use skills that dont have as many restrictions in its use as they dont want to keep reactivating it. If you can look away from that, then it is a brilliant skill in its own right.

Def Aura: supposedly it should reduce damage from Acid Demonstration, but i have never needed to take on head on before so that is rather vague to me.

Prestige: Outside of GC build having amounts of 70~80 INT/LUK is not uncommon in builds. Many builds even make use of high luk or max luk like builds such as exceed break and considering the sp cost of skills on an RG, which is absurdly high considering it is from the swordsman line, high amounts of int can help add relief to players on sp regen.

Inspiration: You can still earn exp at max level so yes you can always still use this skill.
In pvm this skill is amazing and at max duration of 90 seconds you can definately earn back that 1% provided you mob.
Yes for HL and ROG this skill accounts your damage for 3 RG's.

Banding: the effect only triggers when you are partied and within a 7x7 range from another RG. Make no mistake, getting high levels of this skill is good for giving overawe status to monsters and players, and the chance for infliction occurs every time they come within 7x7 range of you.

Matyrs Reckoning: is now complete garbage as its damage is completely reducable, meaning it is more likely you would die from using it than being the one on the recieving end of it.

Exceed break: It is a powerful single target skill. Mainly used in Woe but i have witnessed RG's using it for MvP'ing, especially in ET when the RG facetanks the mvp as RD and SR are disabled in there. What makes it extremely deadly is that it is effected by your crit and will further amplify the crit damage, hence many builds gearing towards maximum luk for maximum damage. It is basically a spamable RG EDP as it usually renders most people dead orr in near death, but even that description is disrespectful to this skill, i will await RG enthusiasts to tell you the true brilliance of this skill.

I am tired as im writing this on my phone so maybe others can help answer more.

#3 Hakobune

Hakobune

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 408 posts
  • LocationNowhere I want to be that's for sure
  • Server:The mismanaged cashgrab

Posted 10 January 2017 - 07:01 AM

Battlegrounds as far as I'm aware are almost if not completely dead thanks to eden merit badges being so easily obtainable and tradable for almost all battlegrounds badges.

MVP and leveling builds are pretty much the same as well as most of the gears. Your going to want at least 100 total vit, high str and agi, roughly 70-90 dex and whatever is left over in luk and/or int. However if you want to use exceed break you will want to get 120 base luk in order to recieve the benefit from temporal luk boots.

For weapons you will need a Long horn (low level requirement and for use against ghost element) or Thanatos spear (preffered, requires lvl 120 to use) carded with a hunterfly card for leveling, a high upgraded imperial spear enchanted for ranged damage and carded with an AK card for MVPing, a gungnir[2] with at least one mummy card in it for the set bonus with an ancient mummy carded shield to hit normally nigh unhittable mobs. If you are going exceed break you will want a weapon with a lot of weight like hunting spear, gigant blade, bellum guillotine or Mjolnir to get the most damage. If you intend to use cannon spear imperial spear will work just fine but there is also cannon spear the weapon which is probably alright, never used the skill or the weapon, but as of this post they are pretty cheap.

As for gears, you want a set of elemental armors, unfrozen armors of both wind and water, racial shields and an alice carded valk shield for MVPing. For headgear you're going to want either a ridewrod hat or vanagaurd helm for HP/SP leeching will leveling/MVPing. For garments you have fallen angel wings which can be enchanted for ranged attack for vanishing point or crit damage for exceed break, heroic backback for both but substantially less but with the added bonus being able to use greed, or niddhog shadow garb for small elemental resist and sp leech. For boots you can either get temporal luk for exceed break as long as you have 120 base luk, or any of the other temporal boots besides int for whatever stat you want to boost, or you can go with +9 enhanced variant shoes with a firelock card for more more hp. Unless you are using an orleans gown you will want a phen carded accessory for overbrand  because it has an interruptible cast time (which is kinda stupid considering they were intended to be the tank class but whatever) and a teleport accessory for getting around maps. Clips are okay to start with, but you may want to move on to bradium brooches, black rosaries, waterdrop brooches or whatever, there are way to many accessories to list and each has it's used. As for The Sign it can be useful, I don't know if it's still in effect but during a niff spotlight there was a quest where you could "enchant" The Sign with certain cards, among them being phen and creamy cards. Aside from that The Sign is a rather meh accessory. The medal of honors are in kinda the same spot as the sign, but they are part of a set with the KVM ring that might make them decent.

Grandcross is alright for crusader/pally and low level Royal guard leveling but loses out to every other skill in the RGs arsenal. The best leveling skills are vanishing point, overbrand and possibly spear cannon.

The skills you will mostly be primarily using either cannon spear or overbrand and vanishing point for leveling and MVPing, exceed break is good for MVPing and PVP. However you can also be a sac RG which requires sacrifice (obviously) and defending aura to make you and your sac target(s) resistant to ranged attacks. Earth drive for destroying enemy pnumeas and magnetic earths, moonslasher for forcing enemies to sit and kings grace for saving you and your party members from burst damage for a bit. Inspiration is great for MVPing and PVP as it increases your damage and HP significantly and makes you immune to all debuffs. Just be aware that it strips all your current buffs when cast but they can be recast while inspired. The exp loss is negligible, especially if you use it for MVPing since most of the MVPs you will want to use it on give you more then enough exp to make up for it, as for using it in WoE it's a bit of a gamble but there are plenty of repeatable quests you can do to refill your exp and yes you can heal yourself with pots or hp leeching gears.

Anything I didn't answer I probably don't know much about.

#4 Ruzhwind

Ruzhwind

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 104 posts
  • Server:Chaos Renewal

Posted 10 January 2017 - 07:02 AM

ill try to explain as far as my experience as RG,

for first, in my experience, PvM and PvP build is different. you can do hybrid, but the potential isnt maximized.

Sacrifice : you can transfer paladin buff e.g. Defending aura through this. but only when cast the skill AFTER sacrifice, not BEFORE. and if you re-cast sacrifice, you need re-cast the skill

GC : after gone as RG, i never use this skill again. since in higher leveling place, the monster is neutral (NCT) and demi-human (bio lab) so i prefer overbrand and cannon spear

Shield chain = rapid smiting(?) : yes, this skill has been replaced for use with Vanishing Point

Matyr : no one use it again nowadays

SR and RD : RD is upgraded version of SR. so SR has been replaced with RD so you can use skill point for maxing SR for something else

EB : you need use heavy weapon and high ATK and to more make it hit bigger you need high critical rate.

Vanguard force : i only use it for HP bonus. not taking the burst attack

Prestige : INT/LUK high it depends on the build you use.  EB-crit build use high LUK, my build (FS) use balanced luk and int and many other kinds of build out there

VP : yeah you can spam it more when you high ASPD. it depends on STR . RG that use VP to do MVP usually have 120 STR + temp STR EA + FAW ea + imperial spear + any other gear that buffed long range attack to make it hit hard

Banding : you need +1 or more RG in your party beside you to use it. so i never recommend to take it since that happened rarely to have more than one RG in pvm situation

OB : this skill hit hard even you didnt hit obstacle to get 3rd damage.

Inspiration : this is the greatest skill of RG, even with that exp consuming. Not recommended to use it in PvM situation like leveling. but in PvP, this is the only skill that can save RG from masquerade skill. 100% HP increase is nice when rushing in WoE. Inspiration clear all buff and debuff, except RG skill e.g RD. so you need cast again all buff u have and ab give you fast. when you hit 175, you can still got base exp eventhough didnt displayed on GUI. the only way you can see is from character select screen, 1 use of inspiration consume 1.000.000 base exp in 175 (dont know the percent of it)

Defending aura : yes it reduce damage from acid bomb (this is the name for acid demo rite?). the problem in 3rd job isnt acid bomb anymore. there is NL arrowstorm and Dragon Breath. and DA reduced it all so i think it is great skill for everybody that become sacrifice target beside the RG himself

Hesperus LIt : sry never use it so i cant tell anything

Battlechant : level of battle chant is affecting the chance of effect.55% in lv 1 and 100% in lvl 10. after you off the BC, they still get the buff/debuff for some time, CMIIW

Equipment : i never use all of items you said. so i cant answer

this is based on my experience and maybe different from others :D

#5 Casval17

Casval17

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1376 posts
  • LocationAxis Debris
  • Server:Chaos Renewal

Posted 11 January 2017 - 09:03 PM

Most of these RG massive basic questions wouldn't need to be asked if OP read iRO wiki and watched some stickied videos in Swordman Class subforum :p_swt:

#6 RaohSung

RaohSung

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 456 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 10:17 AM

Most questions got answered. Ill give my 2 cents into this topic though.

1.) Grand Cross

--- This skill is still very powerful and a lot of well equiped and experienced Royal Guard players are trying build around this skill lately.
As a new Player, you shouldnt pay all to much attention on it because you will get dissapointed first. As you get funds and better equipment, you will eventually get interessted with this skill and how to properly combo it with other skills.
Try and search for "Grand Cross" here in the Swordsman Section and read the topics from 2015 and 2016. There you will get some useful information about how it works now.

2.) Shield Chain / Rapid Smitting

---With a well upped Cross Shield or upped + enchanted Giant Shield you can still do great damage !

Pros:
- You can use it with every 1Hnd weapon you like.
- It is not completly neutral. You can Endow it, but it still misses on Ghost Type (starting at Ghost level 3) monsters and MVPs.
- Easy to boost the damage up
- Great with a Maestro / Wanderer as partner ! (Strings + Gloomy Shyness + HP and ATK Buffs)

The problems with this skill are:
- You can not hit Ghost 3 and above because it is just "pseudo-elemental"
- Poor range (5 cells if I remember correctly)
- do have cast time and 1 second Cast Delay (thats why paired with a performer is  adviced for full potential of this skill)
- Cast can be cancelled/interupted.
- Def Pierce like Ice Pick and Thanatos Card do not work with this skill

Except anything changed in one year with this skill but I dont think so ^^

Maybe some older posts from me may help you out:
Spoiler

But too be honest? As a Crusi/Pally, you really are better and faster with a high AGI/ASPD 2Hnd Spear and Holy Cross.
That skill got buffed greatly!

3.) Martyr's Reckoning / Sacrifice

--- Do not use it pls... Except you have a Tao Card and want to finish off AGI UP! MVPs.
If not then do not skill it. It is really bad now. Forced Neutral and every Demi + neutral reduction will make this skill laughable in PVP/BG/WOE. Vellum Flail Effect do not work with it (tested it...). Tought that would be a shady and funny move but nope, doesnt work.

Skill modifier comes purely from your maxHP% now. No Race/Size/Element/ATK% do work with this skill.

4.) Shield Reflect and Reflect Damage

--- The more you damage (physically) the more you can gain / leech back. So no, its aweful... would work with just Shield Spell Reflect and Shield Reflect but not with Reflect Damage. You still would stand there with low to no SP in a short period of time.

5.) Vanishing Point 

--- Spammed with ASPD. No Cast time or delay.

Bash, STR, ATK, Ranged Modifiers (Menblatt Card, Temp DEX Boots, Heroic Backpack and Fallen Angel Wings refine bonuses, Archer Skeleton cards, Expert Archer Enchants (Best on Imperial Spear) )

As a new Royal Guard, you will find positioning for Cannon Spear and Overbrand really hard and annoying.
What I have done for my second and third Royal Guard back then was getting an Alchemist Class with "Chemical Shield" or his evolutions with "Full Chemical Protection".
Get a Giant Shield or an Imperial Guard. Skill Earth Drive 5 and Spell Shield 1 (for the +130 ATK(!!!) buff from the shield)
Next skill toward Overbrand. You will eventually get "Moon Slasher" to Level 3. Now Endow your weapon to your like, combo Magnum Break, Moon Slasher and Finish off with Earth Drive.
I`ve leveled like that in Magma Dun.02, Juperos and Rachel Sanct 01. Really easy and funny ^^ But you absolutly need a second acc. Alchemist class for this.

Edited by RaohSung, 13 January 2017 - 10:18 AM.

#7 Silvianna

Silvianna

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2579 posts
  • Location-
  • Playing:Nothing
  • Server:Quit

Posted 14 January 2017 - 11:55 PM

I was in the middle of writing a lot things about this class

from secret of GC build, Cannon Spear, rapid smitting opness, etc

but i accidentally clicked close my browser

so now im just going to post this  :heh:  :heh:

Edited by Silvianna, 14 January 2017 - 11:55 PM.

#8 Nix02

Nix02

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 12:18 AM

I was in the middle of writing a lot things about this class

from secret of GC build, Cannon Spear, rapid smitting opness, etc

but i accidentally clicked close my browser

so now im just going to post this  :heh:  :heh:

At least you tried  :heh:

#9 Sewasan

Sewasan

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1195 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 12:54 PM

Hello guys!

I'm a huge fan of the Swordsman Classes,Monk and Sage lines too(but most part of the time I played as Lord and Pally),and I have some experience with the game before Renewal( tried nearly every possible build for LK and Pally ),played for years on bRO, but near the transition to Renewal I stopped playing, and I came back some months ago trying to understand all the new things and mechanics that changed. bRO was stinking and then I decided to came here to iRO, so it's my first time on the server.
Sadly I'm still crawling at understanding deeply the new system and I'm having a really hard time with my favorite class of all, the Royal Guard.
I have a LOT of question and really hope you guys can help me.

So, I'm absolutely lost with the options for a RG Build.
I'm here searching more for a in-depth knowledge of the class from its roots to the top in every possible way, than a short straight decision of build.

So let's start with the objectives:

-First Step: I want an effective way to level up, so I need some infos about PvM Builds and about all the skills i will ask

-Second Step: After reaching 175/60 I'm planning to reset and focus on MvP and Instance Dungeons,so I need some advices on MvP Builds too, because I'm going to need the best equipments to start my next and final step:

-Third Step: Battleground + PvP + WoE

Based on this I have some questions about the skills first

I basically love every single one, from Grand Cross to Battle Chant and Prestige, so it's really hard to decide which i should get
let's get started:

---Sacrifice: wasn't this skill supposed to transfer shield buffs (like guard,shield reflect and defending aura) to the target? I play with a Priest friend and he says that nothing shows on his buff screen when I cast it on him with my shield buffs on. And during our level up to 99 I haven't seen any sign of Guard activating or damage being reflected to the mob when he was attacked. Has Renewal changed it to let me just absorb the damage for him, or the skill is bugged?

---Grand Cross: love this spell, always loved it, and have been playing my first run here on iRO to the 99 with a GC Sader. My question is: as a RG how viable for PvM, MvP and WoE/PvP/BG is this skill? If not viable for MVP or Player combat, is it at least worth for level up above Lv100?

I know it demands a lot of healing stuffs but I don't actually got too much problem with it, I have a Scatleton, and the recovery bonus he gives from Fresh Fish is very decent, at least for now.

Based on what I found and trough my testing: for most monsters, the ATK/STR part of the damage is more important than the MATK/INT (this one affects more the Holy part of the damage, and that means dealing more damage to Shadow/Undead/allgoodlord'senemies).

So can this be a viable option to level up as Overbrand?(yes, I know, Overbrand is -_- awesome, but I'm kind tired of turning my head and see 9999999 RGs using the same build, it looks like the class lost a lot of versatility power and only one skill now is the answer for everything)

If it's viable, what equipments should I use on it?
Should I try forging an Excalibur?

Does cards of race/size or bypass of defs work on it now? (Some places says that yes they work, others say it don't work,just like pre renewal,I'm confused) what exactly can affect the damage of Grand Cross besides STR,INT,LUK? ( I was thinking of using Brocca with it,as it pierces defense )

Aspersio amplifies it's damage against "God's enemies" because of the weapon attack part, so...Would a Bazerald(that has Fire element imbued) make me do more damage to Earth Element Monsters? A Schweizersabel(Wind) will help me do more damage to Water Monsters?

Saw someone out there saying that with Piety,from RG, you can negate the damage you take from GC apart from the 20% default HP cost and don't need to use Archdam Combo or Angeling anymore, opening more options for armor cards for the build, so I really got happy and was thinking of making it one of my priorities.

---Shield Chain

Same question as above^^

Can this single target skill be useful as a RG?
I now its very useful during the Paladin Level Up, but after I become a RG this skill is going to be lame and left behind compared to the damage on any other options RG offers?

---Martyr's Reckoning

Basically the same question again lol

Played as MR AGI/VIT build a lot and was kind thinking how it is now, is it's damage still amazing?
Can I use it for WoE and PVP purposes and be equally powerful to Overbrand builds? (maybe not so powerful but at least a little close to it, or maybe use MR as a secondary skill that a support RG can have in its Sleeve when needed)

---Shield Reflect and Reflect Damage

So, when I first heard of Reflect Damage I instantly thought: wow this -_- is probably the evolution of Reflect Damage, I won't need to use it anymore, I can reflect even magic now,I will reflect Guilhotine Fist in area! *BEHOLD THE POWER OF THE CREATOR*
But yeah...Well they nerfed it hard...It drains too much mana, it's not 100% sure to reflect the damage, it has a maximum number of reflects before it dissipates, and can't be used with Shield Reflect(one of my favorite skills btw, I feel so safe when I have it on '-' )
So I was wondering, is it still worth it in any of the three cases(PvM,MVP and players)?

Does the effect of a Tjungkulleti or Thanatos Spear gonna trigger and help recover SP when I reflect the damage to a lot of people/monsters?

---Exceed Break

So, this skill looks amazing and I really like the thought of OHKO a lot of people when needed, Double Attack works with it and it can critical hit.
So basically the build that most get advantage of this skill is a High LUK/STR Paladin?
Is it viable without high LUK?
Can I OHKO people just with a normal hit of a very heavy weapon?The formula and damage calculations don't look VERY trustable that I can do it without LUK and Double Attack(it reminds me a lot of MR but it's just one hit and don't eat my HP down,but on the other hand Exceed Break has a cast)
This skill looks like more of a "FINISH HIM" skill,not a priority one. You cast it, then use Earth Drive to reduce the defenses of the enemy, use your other skills like Vanishing Point spam,Overbrand,Shield Chain or even MR(if I recall correctly MR attacks have priority over Exceed Break, so if you hit someone with the 5 hits of MR first you can easily finish off with the 6th hit that would be the Exceed Break)

What are your thoughts about it? Its one of the RG skills that makes me feel more lost.

---Vanguard Force and Burst Attack

So, what affects Burst Attack's damage besides wrath counters and low HP?
Is it affected by STR?
Can it be dodged or it ignores flee?

There's just no information detailed about this skill anywhere I looked...

I have something on my mind for PvP and BG(maybe WoE too) with this skill:

Vanguard Force looks amazing with the buffs that it gives,I think even without Burst Attack it really is useful as it cannot be dispelled(correct me if I'm wrong). And if you're a Tank that gives Sacrifice and support spells and of course whistand a lot of damage, you can cast Burst Attack without too much headache I think...and besides it gives extra Def bonus, not bad for a Tank right?
As I said I played as MR AGI/VIT Pally and was thinking of a offensive stance combo based on those elements:Vanguard Force,Burst Attack and MR.
MR consumes HP and when all the wrath counters are activated I just need to take care of my HP (obviously this is going to be a build that makes a lot of use of healing stuffs), so I can hit someone with all the power of Burst Attack if the enemy haven't fall to the MR,just imagine the damage that a Glorious Spear would do with this, bypassing 25% of defense with Burst Attack after 5 MR of a very high VIT RG O.O (it gets even more absurd if the RG have a TAO Gunka card)

It kind looks like the strategy above, of Exceed Break, but I think this one is even more interesting, because if Exceed Break really needs LUK to shine, a MR build normally don't have neither LUK nor STR so they don't really match in the same build, but with this one I just need AGI and VIT - and maybe DEX, don't know if it is dodgeable - (as I said, the idea is to be a support and tank that can help offensively when needed, of course this will happen only when not receiving damage from the Sacrifice of other party members, this way I can assume a offensive stance without needing to worry with my HP being obliterated by both MR and Sacrifice )

---Prestige

This skill looks pretty intesting too, it gives A LOT of defense(really sad it can't be cast when in Inspiration Mode), and the chance to dodge isn't bad if the RG have both high int and LUK.

The only question is: Why would a RG haver both INT and LUK very high?
There's not a single skill besides prestige that makes use of both...okay there's Grand Cross, but then comes the problem with it being good for PVP and WOE or not...

Oh, and can it be dispelled?

---Vanishing Point

Can it really be spammed based on your ASPD?
What exactly influences the damage of this skill besides Bash and the Base Character lvl? STR?
If so,this skill looks really amazing to any STR build

---Banding

Does all the bonus of a level 5 Banding(+60 attack,+10 DEF, 25% Chance to inflict Overawe for 10 seconds) apply to me even if I'm alone, without other Royal Guards near me?
Or it only works and gives bonuses If there's at least one Royal guard banding with me?

---Overbrand

So everyone says this skill is absurd and really powerful.
I have some question about the 3rd part of the damage, the knockback.
There's not a way of always making it happen right? You always have to be near something that you can push the enemy backwards to hit it? Unless the enemy uses something that prevents knockback (i think? like the Strong shield)
Without the knockback part, the damage of this skill is still very high?

---Inspiration

Really, wtf Gravity had on their head when they thought somebody would use this skill? Consuming Experience???
Its surely make the RG a Titan wrecking havoc for some time, but it's cooldown is 5m and consumes Exp...
Am I the only one here that cant see a viable use for this?
Can I at least heal myself while using this HP&SP draining skill?
Can I recast all the buffs that are turned off when I cast it?
I can only think of it as a last resource to Conquer a castle or put a lot of pressure on enemy team or killing an MVP but I don't know...This is by far the most intriguing skill on the RG.

And even with this skill i don't know if Hesperus Lit and Ray of Genesis are going to be really powerful... Have someone tested?

Some say that when a RG is in Inspiration Mode he counts for 3 RG is it true?

Is there a way to recover the lost exp if you are at Max Lvl? I never stopped to pay attention to the exp numbers after max lvl,does it still goes up if I kill more monsters?

---Defending Aura

Does it reduces damage from AD?
Now that RG have good and solid ranged attacks besides Shield Chain there's a way to VIT based RG retaliate against Creators while still using an active Defending Aura( if it works on AD of course )

---Hesperus Lit

What exactly counts towards the damage for this skill?
It has a medium time cooldown, probably isn't worth using alone in Inspiration but who knows, maybe if you use other skills between it's recharge...
Just like Banding, Inspiration and Ray of Genesis, this skill is an absolute mystery to me

---Battle Chant

How exactly the buffs and negative effects works with this skill? (Does the level of battle chant influences the quality of the buffs/debuffs I'm going to give to others, or its absolutely aleatory from Lvl 1 to lvl 10 no matter how I upgrade the skill?)

The buffs to my allies and the negative effects to the enemies are going to last only while i'm with battle chant active or for example I can,in the WoE, cast it in the middle of my allies and enemies,they'll receive an aleatory buff/debuff and then I can turn battle chant off and they will still have the buffs/debuffs actives until they die/until the buff expires for itself?

Equipment:

Is The Sign still useful?
What about the Medals of Honor from BG?

I think that for now its just that, sorry for this post getting so big guys, but I havent found any answer for those questions nowhere...

thanks a lot

Considering you are from bRO and you probably speak portuguese you should check this channel for woe/PvP guudance, beside the usual woe vids he has aswell tons of useful info on vídeos where he goes in detail about RG skills and such, only problem for most people is that he speak portuguese hahahaha but if you understand it, then go and see all his vídeos

https://youtu.be/sAhRP2jkgbA

That is one of his vídeos

#10 ChakriGuard

ChakriGuard

Azzylike

• Members
  • 10853 posts
  • Server:Renew Chaos

Posted 06 February 2017 - 04:16 PM

I got lost in the massive contexts lol

#11 SanctumBellator

SanctumBellator

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 10:52 AM

Thanks a lot for the replies guys, you really helped me take my first steps into the RG class knowing what i was doing ^^

Im still at the PvM, leveling and trying to get some level for ET and other instances and maybe MVP later,eed an Imperial Spear with Skel Archers first and maximize Vanishing Point

im using a build focused on Overbrand,Spear Quicken,Force of Vanguard and Shield Spell for solo level up and Sacrifice and support like guard and defending aura for parties at TI,im really enjoyng it.

My stats are:

STR:84+13

VIT:50+12

AGI:80+6

INT:48+12

DEX:73+9

LUK:1+6

But im still a little confused with the equips for PvM

My equips in this moment are:

+4 Arta Rideword Hat ( Vanberk Card, because im probably going to use this with my combo champ too, besides i didnt find any other interesting headger cards)

Advanced Fin Helm ( really enjoy fin helm since old ragnarok, and black devils mask is kind too expensive, and i dont find anything better to use on mid)

Iron Cain (im thinking of using a love piece here so i can open slot for another card/acessory, diabolu ring is good but wel...i wanted some other ideas for armor/acessory, but love piece is horrendous expensive, so im keeping my iron cain)

+4 Diabolus Armor (combo with Diabolus Ring carded with Phen )

+9 Violent Vampiric Crimson Spear (Mananangal + Hillslion Cards) with this,rideword hat, magnificat from shield spell 2 and nidhog shadows garb I dont even need to sit and wait for my sp/hp to recharge, just keep spamming shield spell 3 until I restore all my hp and when the sp goes under half i use magnificar from shield spell 2 and it takes about 30secs killing monsters individually until my sp is back again for more heal or other buffs of shield spell, besides i created a Sage for Endow Slave and its working Wonders even with just one hillslion on the weapon, bseides, the effect of mananangal procs trough shield reflect too,so im restoring sp when im taking damage too(im just frustrated that reflect damage dont proc anything, or at least this effect, havent tested too many other things thing it)

+4 ResistantSacred Mission ( Hodremlin Card ) ( This shield is perfect, it takes so much advantage of shield spells that i dont think i need anything else until 175 O_ _O

+4 Immune Nidhoggurs Shadow Garb (Raydric Card) ( FAW and some other stufs are really amazing but, god... 400m? its too much expensive I dont have all that Money at least not now, so i think this is the best option in this moment, i cant have a good FWSS slotted now and without temporal boots i dont think they are Worth)

+4 Enhanced Variant Shoes Wanderer ( Green Ferus Card ) ( i dont have the funds to try getting a +9 Temporal Boots/Enchanced Variant for Firelock Card, so i carded it with a card that i think its the best for some survivibility )

Diabolus Ring w/ Phen ( because its really a pain in the ass to get my sac and overbrand interrupted all the time )

Cat Hand Glove w/ Mantis ( really dont have anything better to put here )

Im using the basic shadow set +4,for all stats+4 is really nice, and im on my way getting my splendide coins for changing my Valk Helm into a Costume Valk Helm( love this hat :o )

So, my questions are:

Do you guys have any idea of other headgear cards useful for RG besides this one im using?

Any idea of mid and lower headgears that can help in pvm/mvp?

As i said, im thinking of using love piece so i can free a acessory slot and card, but its expensive...

i thought that maybe using a spellflow shadow set it would really be nice, but it uses 3 shadow slots and i still got 3 slots free, so i thought: ill try and get physical shadow set to fill the empty slots for shadow equipment because the basic shadow set without all its elements isnt interesting, but physical shadow set is so expensive that it makes me feel better if i just got a love piece and keeps my basic shadow set( im not very positive about the idea of losing +4 all stats too ).

And theres the problem that i just dont find any other good armor besides Diabolus Armor( i thought that maybe life link could work, but im not very sure ). Elemental armors are cool but...hey, they are very situational no? and then comes the other problem too:

What card do i use on armor? Old shcool PecoPeco? Comodo Card?

Comodo gives hard def right? so it would be better if i just slot it in a high hard def armor, like ebone or even diabolu, if im going for a elemental ill probably be better with a peco card i think but im not so sure... what do you guys think?

as i said, they look so situational, and oh my god, i would need 4 peco peco/comodo cards for each one, i was thinking of getting more an all around armor like diabolus because 90% of the time im going to take neutral elemental hits(excluding mvp fights probably, their skills and spells are hard to tank, but mvps are still a little distant from my reality and capacity), so probably high def is better(?)

What do you guys think of my crimson spear? im really confortable with it by now, the only problem is when i face a monster that I cant bring my HP or my Sage to endow me with aspersio or elemental stones, because its elements are more specific and rare( i did sign quest so now i have acess to cursed water, that gives me another card on the sleeve for maximizing damage, but theres of course Always a weakness), im kind waiting for enriched hammer to arrive again so i can try getting it above +9(as all my equips like Sacred Mission, Rideword Hat and Nids Garb)

I took a look at Thanatos Spear, and it didnt looked very promise for damage output with overbrand, got just one slot and its rare,expensive, to try getting it to+9/+10...

Brocca isnt very effective even bypassing defense, if compared to the versatility of a crimson spear upgraded and with those two cards i put...

Imperial Spear im just gonna get after my VP is lvl 10 and i got the archer skeleton cards, and it will be just for MVP...

Any ideas on garment and boots besides what i said? for equipaments and cards

what about the acessorys?

I just dont find any interesting acessory and card besides diabolus(just because of the combo with the armor because its not very cool on its own, if I got another better armor ill probably get another acessory) and phen card

waterdrop brooch is kind meh, it gives just 1% HP

Diabolus Ring as i said, im using just because of the armor

bradium ring/broochs are just better than diabolus ring if im not using the diabolus armor anymore, they are probably my immediate idea of acessory if i get rid of my armor, but still...

another immediate idea i got was advanced safety ring, and BG acessory combo( but these ill use only if i dont need phen anymore )

and the cards...i only see mantis and phen as useful...but does mantis really have space on the renewal meta still? it looks kind left behind and too cheap and not very useful in the renewal world...

i tried using owl baron card to proc it with reflect but it doenst compensates...

Violy Card looks nice for crowd control, but i think that it really shines if you combo it with sasquatch card on an armor(ebone, or tidung maybe? dont know, i would like some replies about this idea too if you could guys) because while im attacking i have chances of activating it and my reflect can proc it too, and its on all enemies on the screen, and with sasquatch its nearly assured that ill freeze a lot of the mob)

Im thinking of using mimic card for now, so i can drop OBB and try getting OPB trough it so i can trade them for eden merit badges and get more kvm badges for the BG acessory combo

what do you guys think? sorry for the big text again, i kind like to write and be very specific lol '-'

#12 SanctumBellator

SanctumBellator

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 09:42 AM

Up^^

#13 SanctumBellator

SanctumBellator

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 02:37 PM

Uuuup^^

#14 SanctumBellator

SanctumBellator

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 09:25 PM

Up

#15 KingAbel

KingAbel

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1281 posts
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 02 March 2017 - 12:30 AM

https://forums.warpp...dated-02022017/

#16 awesomegeek

awesomegeek

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1629 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 08:47 AM

Long story short,

MVP & Farming
​RG is an excellent solo Instance class. However, it's low tier on killing field MVPs, not because of damage but the fact you have to cast Inspiration + other buffs before hand where as classes like GX and Geneticist are always ready to kill.

​For killing MVPs, spamming Vanishing Point is the fastest way. For kiling mobs, Canon Spear+Overbrand is the only way.

P.S. Onthat video I only used:

1 AGI+20, 1 STR+20, 1 VIT+20 & 1 LUK+20 foods
(Inspiration does not remove food stats buff)
1 Fireproof potion
2 Berserk potions
2 Enriched Celermine
2 Fire Converter.

My +4 RWH, +4 Malicious Shadow set & Incubus provided me the HP & SP leech)

PVP+Woe
Exceed Break and Sacrifice are your main skills for this build.
120 LUK + Temp LUK Boots & Fatal FAW are needed otherwise you basically can't kill strong players.

​Unfortunately you can't have a single RG to do both.

​You can either do 2 RGs to enjoy both or just pick one build.

Edited by awesomegeek, 02 March 2017 - 09:01 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users