8 replies to this topic

#1 SirAlbert

SirAlbert

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • LocationBucharest - Romania

Posted 10 December 2010 - 05:57 AM

Hello Requiem community, Im a long time lurker but only a newb poster. I started recently a new defender, lvl 46 atm, looking to turn him into a protector.

My skill build for lvl 79 is

Defender skills - Onslaught 10 / Quick Attack 6 / Taunting cry 10 / Survival Instinct 10 / Skin of Stone 10

Protector skills - Low Blow 10 / Restoration 10 / Restraint 1 / Shield Mastery 1 / Sacred Hand 7 / Spirit Intens 7 / AoP 1 / Lesser heal 4 / Shield Fortress 1

(with some fillers and 1 skill point left)

OK, I just fond out that the defence is capped at around 2,8k, so in this case should I spare some points from Skin of Stone, and if so, where should i drop them? Is it ok to keep my shield skills to just 1 point each? How about DNA - I mean beside Strenghtened Restoration and Strenghtened Spirit Intens?

I also heard that HoTs were nerfed...in this case what jewels should I chose? Secret Lab m-c, something with HP/Phis dmg reinceforced as much as I can, or still something with magic dmg to try to boost my HoTs some more?

I want my protector to be able to solo in dungeons with a decent kill speed. For this, is it OK to use a 2h Sword, since I found out skills have a dmg bonus when used with swords? or should I use only hammer + shield?

I played a bit this game last year, with a commander char. I have a S1 +7 Biskra 1h Sword on that char. Is it a good weapon to keep for my protector on lvl 58? or should I sell it? And what is the price of such a weapon..I ask becose since I came back, I had never seen this sword in the auction house...so I really have no idea how much I should ask for it.

Ty for your pacience and for your answers.

#2 Ninnghizhidda

Ninnghizhidda

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1903 posts
  • LocationAthens, Hellas
  • Playing:Requiem
  • Server:Hammerine

Posted 23 December 2010 - 10:29 PM

I am certainly not an expert concerning Protectors, but I believe their Shield skills are nice and important, so they should not be overlooked. Protectors are bound to be a bit slow while soloing. Perhaps, for solo grind you will need a set of good reinforced jewels that provide physical damage. For tanking purposes in parties, raids etc, you probably need a different configuration, perhaps Lab MC set, or Secret Lab ID set (though it is rather hard and expensive to complete one).

Several Protectors I know tend to use 2-handed weapons, I think it isnt such a bad idea for solo grind. When tanking though, a shield is paramount.

Finally, almost ANYTHING from S1 is fairly valuable these days. Especially like superb raid gear. The old Poison Tooth sword you have is a real treasure. I honestly believe in S2 almost ALL weapons are total junk until lvl 67 when finally you can get decent rare RH ones. Old S1 weapons could be well used until lvl 65 or 67 today. They have pretty decent stats and if upgraded some, become quite nice. So, I would say hold on to the sword, or if you really want to sell gear like this, dont let go unless for a handsome price. It would depend some on the particular stats, since these do vary for S1 items, but for this Biskra sword I would expect something in the region of 3-5kk, easy. Personally, I NEVER sell any S1 gear for any price, in fact I am still collecting any decent items I can find, there is always a good use for them! :lol:

#3 Kishandra

Kishandra

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 12:10 AM

Low Blow + auto attacks > any other attacks.
pump quick attack up to 10 if you plan on using a 2 hander while soloing

Dont solo if you can help it. my tempest at 65 can out damage any prot build

for gear, see my other thread

shield skills are also nice, in raids it takes an extra chunk off the damage.

#4 SirAlbert

SirAlbert

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 12:24 AM

For some strange reason I cant seem to post...my phrases get "lost in translation" from my pc over the internet to this forum.

TY for answers and Ill get a full response done as soon as I can figure it our whats wrong with my internet at work.

Edited by SirAlbert, 24 December 2010 - 12:39 AM.

#5 Kishandra

Kishandra

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 12:37 AM

a prot is a tank, its about keeping the aggro on yourself, let the other members of the party do the damage. But if you can afford it a second equipment set is great when you find yourself alone, I have a s1 2 hand axe (cant remember the name) full set of FoC 65 armor and reinforced jewels for the rare occasions I feel like killing things by myself. I lose 3-4k hitpoints with the set up, but Its a very noticeable difference in how long one kill takes.

Go for M-C set then reinforce it to +7-+10. Start working on getting a Seamless polar set. Then get reinforced jewels for soloing, then reinforcing Seamless, and enchanting your M-C set.

I'd say 5k-6k hitpoints would be more then enough for WS/RM/DS depending on how good of a healer and if there are any party members with hp buffs.

but for RH you'll want 8k minimum to be the main tank, Biskra you'll want to be near 10k, no clue on the other ones, but i would bet 10k would be enough with party buffs.

#6 SirAlbert

SirAlbert

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 12:44 AM

I build this protector in order to solo or duo some bosses to get drops for my main commander char. Im thinking to put only 5 points each into LB and Onslaught and also keep Skin of Stone at lvl 5, and us emore points in the shield skills. After lvl 60 and Spiritual Intensification buff, Skin of Stone becomes kinda absolete imo.

Wanted to ask you, but my internet is playing triks on me today, about what mob drops the lvl 65 polar boots, becose I bought the set for my commie, but I cant seem to get anywhere near the boots that are scarce and very expensive.

Also, Secret Lab jewels drop only from the last boss in SL? And are those any good, if lets say reinforced to +10 for a commander and a protector?

TY

Edited by SirAlbert, 24 December 2010 - 12:48 AM.

#7 Commander

Commander

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 12:44 AM

8k is not enough HP for RH. His stun can crit over 8k at times. Bare minimum for RH is 10k HP and that is risky if he crits twice in a row.

#8 Kishandra

Kishandra

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 08:49 AM

I build this protector in order to solo or duo some bosses to get drops for my main commander char. Im thinking to put only 5 points each into LB and Onslaught and also keep Skin of Stone at lvl 5, and us emore points in the shield skills. After lvl 60 and Spiritual Intensification buff, Skin of Stone becomes kinda absolete imo.

Wanted to ask you, but my internet is playing triks on me today, about what mob drops the lvl 65 polar boots, becose I bought the set for my commie, but I cant seem to get anywhere near the boots that are scarce and very expensive.

Also, Secret Lab jewels drop only from the last boss in SL? And are those any good, if lets say reinforced to +10 for a commander and a protector?

TY

Polar boots... cant remember off the top of my head, but it should be in WS/RM/DS somewhere

the actual Secret Lab set drops only off the last boss in SL, I actually think it means less HP (45 con missing from the set bonus{225 hp less}) however adding the STR and mana and DEX might be worth the trade off, not many toons will actually want the SL set

#9 Ninnghizhidda

Ninnghizhidda

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1903 posts
  • LocationAthens, Hellas
  • Server:Hammerine

Posted 24 December 2010 - 11:44 AM

Seamless Poalr Boots drop from the last boss (Soma Osteon) in Tobina Mine (Warning: this boss is fairly hard now, since his aoe stun attack alone can hit for about 2800 or so).

Secret Lab ID pieces can drop from last boss in SL (Violent Lode). Drop rate is rather small. Each of these pieces start with 12 in each stat and they will all go up by +1 with reinforcing, so you get a boost for all stats. You dont get as high a bonus as with other sets for a partucular stat (i.e. total CON gained will be less with this set instead of MC or CC), but it is up to you to decide. Having a boost for all stats is not a bad idea, and a Protector could benefit more than a Commander (since MND is more important for Protectors too).

Finally, about raids. You have to be quite careful with RH, even if he is supposed to be the "easier" raid. It is possible that his earth shock will crit up to about 9000, although I believe around 8000 should be the case for a decent tank. However, you also need to expect several combos, where you can get this stun attack joined by his other aoe, breath and physical crit, all in quick succession. Please, notice that his physical attack alone can crit for another 2800 or so. So you can easily have 10000 HPs worth of damage done very quickly indeed. He can be tanked with around 10000 total HPs (after buffs I assume), but things could turn hairy even then.

As for other raids, the second one regularly done is Biskra. Well, Biskra will not perform any aoe or single attack with high damage potential as RH. However, he does other nasty stuff, like combos that can stun and trap you in Deadly Sea for some time. This chews HPs very fast indeed. Also, his summoned minions will slow or fear party members, and again you can end bathing into Deadly Sea either slowed or running like a headless chicken. Occasionally he can do weakening on the tank too, and this could mean certain death if followed by a hard hit. And in general Biskra's physical hits are harder and crit more often than RH.

Other raids are far more exotic, and few people run them without good parties and really good tanks now (like LW, DC, JS bosses). Well, JS bosses are still a shoot-them-from-afar-dont-even-think-of getting-close raids, so no real need for tank to do them. :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users