LordYggdrasill

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2830 posts
  • LocationWelgaia
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 14 February 2017 - 07:17 AM

It seems that COD is a better standalone headgear on its own, while Skull Cap with Thorn Staff of Darkness can be more effective. Its a touch decision, which one do you think is a better choice for a future High Wizard/Warlock? 

#2 Ashuckel

Ashuckel

'-' intensifies

• Members
  • 18996 posts
  • LocationJohto, Hoenn, Unova, Kalos, Alola

Posted 14 February 2017 - 07:21 AM

CoD ia a good cheap headgear. However, not only gets outshined by the Skullcap+TSOD combo, it also takes your top and mid slot, while Skullcap is Top only, leaving mid free, wich is super helpfull.

#3 LordYggdrasill

LordYggdrasill

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2830 posts
  • LocationWelgaia

Posted 14 February 2017 - 07:46 AM

CoD ia a good cheap headgear. However, not only gets outshined by the Skullcap+TSOD combo, it also takes your top and mid slot, while Skullcap is Top only, leaving mid free, wich is super helpfull.

I understand, I definitely was thinking about this too, with COD I have to remove my sunglasses. Still, with Skull Cap I will have to use TSOD, or the cap by itself isnt very useful. Is TSOD considered one of the best weapons for a mage? I know there are other weapons far more powerful, adding more INT or Magic Attack. such as Staff of Geffen. Its really a hard decision to make, COD makes me unable to use a mid-headgear, while Skull Cap makes me unable to upgrade to a better weapon.

Edited by LordYggdrasill, 14 February 2017 - 07:48 AM.

#4 Kusanagisama

Kusanagisama

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4243 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 07:51 AM

For Warlock, Ordinary Black Magician Hat is THE hat atm. Can only be equiped by warlocks, though.

TSoD used to be one of the best weapons for mages, but now is just some old relic. I don't know if it's good for Sorcerers.

Nowadays, it's either Crimson Rod or Go Home, or Piercing Staff [2] for MVPs (maybe this will change this week, maybe not...) because of MDEF bypass. Go to irowiki and look at Warlocks equipment page. It's very up to date, thanks to Kubi.

#5 LordYggdrasill

LordYggdrasill

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2830 posts
  • LocationWelgaia

Posted 14 February 2017 - 08:16 AM

For Warlock, Ordinary Black Magician Hat is THE hat atm. Can only be equiped by warlocks, though.

TSoD used to be one of the best weapons for mages, but now is just some old relic. I don't know if it's good for Sorcerers.

Nowadays, it's either Crimson Rod or Go Home, or Piercing Staff [2] for MVPs (maybe this will change this week, maybe not...) because of MDEF bypass. Go to irowiki and look at Warlocks equipment page. It's very up to date, thanks to Kubi.

Well I am aiming for 100% variable cast time reduction, is it possible with the suggestions from you? And why is Crimson Rod considered the best for Mages right now? I know there are better ones, like Staff of Geffen which has higher Magic Attack and +20 INT. Am I missing something here?

#6 Casval17

Casval17

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1376 posts
  • LocationAxis Debris
  • Server:Chaos Renewal

Posted 14 February 2017 - 08:50 AM

Look closely at the description on what crimson rod maxed potential capable of :heh:

If you can reach 100% var cast through status alone, why the need to invest on cast reducing gears? besides most warlock spells contain more fixed cast than variable cast

Pump your damage to the max is how you go with warlocks these days, so you can practically kills everything with reading spellbook-release instead of manual cast :heh:

#7 Ashuckel

Ashuckel

'-' intensifies

• Members
  • 18996 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 09:06 AM

TSOD is still a pretty pretty good weapon '-'

And it's the only staff to provide that much delay reduction.

Also, Staff of Geffen is pure garbage dont bother considering that.

Edited by Ashuckel, 14 February 2017 - 09:08 AM.

#8 LordYggdrasill

LordYggdrasill

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2830 posts
  • LocationWelgaia

Posted 14 February 2017 - 09:19 AM

Look closely at the description on what crimson rod maxed potential capable of :heh:

If you can reach 100% var cast through status alone, why the need to invest on cast reducing gears? besides most warlock spells contain more fixed cast than variable cast

Pump your damage to the max is how you go with warlocks these days, so you can practically kills everything with reading spellbook-release instead of manual cast :heh:

umm how can you reach 100% variable cast reduction through stats? The base INT and DEX have a cap of 120, with the stats approach(INT 190/Dex 170 or INT 170/Dex 180), you need to increase your INT/DEX by as much as 50-70 from gears/enchantment/cards. Is it really possible to achieve INT/DEX in the range of 170-190 just by gears?

TSOD is still a pretty pretty good weapon '-'

And it's the only staff to provide that much delay reduction.

Also, Staff of Geffen is pure garbage dont bother considering that.

I see, so Staff of Geffen isnt useful? It has +20 INT and has a slot, I thought it might have been a better weapon than TSOD, am I wrong?

#9 Ashuckel

Ashuckel

'-' intensifies

• Members
  • 18996 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 09:23 AM

It is a lv1 weapon. It matters a lot for Warlock as weapon lvl will define the matk variance of it, and Recognized Spell makes you always use the maximum variance. A lv1 weapon only has 10% while lv4 has 40%. Other than that, lv1 weapon gains a really bad amount of matk per refine, different from lvl 3 and specially 4.

#10 Casval17

Casval17

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1376 posts
  • LocationAxis Debris

Posted 14 February 2017 - 10:26 AM

umm how can you reach 100% variable cast reduction through stats? The base INT and DEX have a cap of 120, with the stats approach(INT 190/Dex 170 or INT 170/Dex 180), you need to increase your INT/DEX by as much as 50-70 from gears/enchantment/cards. Is it really possible to achieve INT/DEX in the range of 170-190 just by gears?

I see, so Staff of Geffen isnt useful? It has +20 INT and has a slot, I thought it might have been a better weapon than TSOD, am I wrong?

Its total status and not character base status, so bonus status from consumables, job levels, gears, cards, buffs included in the equation to achieve variable instacast.

Do iROwiki warlock guide reading homework first as suggested by Kusa to understand more on related gears

As for gear shortcut, read about what temporal boots and its various enchants provides

Edited by Casval17, 14 February 2017 - 10:35 AM.

#11 LordYggdrasill

LordYggdrasill

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2830 posts
  • LocationWelgaia

Posted 14 February 2017 - 11:41 AM

It is a lv1 weapon. It matters a lot for Warlock as weapon lvl will define the matk variance of it, and Recognized Spell makes you always use the maximum variance. A lv1 weapon only has 10% while lv4 has 40%. Other than that, lv1 weapon gains a really bad amount of matk per refine, different from lvl 3 and specially 4.

I see, thanks for your explanation, I guess I will need much stronger weapon than Staff of Geffen then, preferably a lv.4 weapon.

Its total status and not character base status, so bonus status from consumables, job levels, gears, cards, buffs included in the equation to achieve variable instacast.

Do iROwiki warlock guide reading homework first as suggested by Kusa to understand more on related gears

As for gear shortcut, read about what temporal boots and its various enchants provides

Well I did a research on Crimson Rod, and its indeed especially powerful since it adds lots of magical attack bonus, has two available slots for cards, and that it is an one-handed staff(can use a shield such as +12 Mad Bunny Special[1]). Still, I wonder, how is it possible to boost both INT and DEX to 170-180 permanently, without using temporary boosters such as consumables and skills?

Edited by LordYggdrasill, 14 February 2017 - 11:41 AM.

#12 Kusanagisama

Kusanagisama

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4243 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 11:47 AM

It's not. You'll have to use both +10 and +20 INT and DEX foods, and a lot of gears that give stats for that. IMO it's something pretty difficult to get unless you're a friggin' multibilionaire. Better have something like 90% stat VCT reduction and get 30% from FAW for 93% total, 98% when intensification is on.

The greatest problem is FCT.

#13 LordYggdrasill

LordYggdrasill

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2830 posts
  • LocationWelgaia

Posted 14 February 2017 - 11:59 AM

It's not. You'll have to use both +10 and +20 INT and DEX foods, and a lot of gears that give stats for that. IMO it's something pretty difficult to get unless you're a friggin' multibilionaire. Better have something like 90% stat VCT reduction and get 30% from FAW for 93% total, 98% when intensification is on.

The greatest problem is FCT.

Yeah you make a point, FCT is a really annoying problem. Using Temporal Dex Boots can reduce it by 0.5 seconds, but not anything more than that. The percentage FCT reduction cards such as Fenrir Card are way too expensive, probably in the range of 10 billion zeny, thats out of my league.

#14 Ashuckel

Ashuckel

'-' intensifies

• Members
  • 18996 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 12:04 PM

insta is not a must for skills that have a fixed cast anyways, just get it really low

Don't forget that by having Radius, you passively have a lower lvl version of  Sacrament, around 30~40% fixed cast time reduction all the time(overwritten by stronger effects ofc) with Lv3 Radius

Edited by Ashuckel, 14 February 2017 - 12:08 PM.

#15 Casval17

Casval17

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1376 posts
  • LocationAxis Debris

Posted 14 February 2017 - 08:02 PM

I see, thanks for your explanation, I guess I will need much stronger weapon than Staff of Geffen then, preferably a lv.4 weapon.

Well I did a research on Crimson Rod, and its indeed especially powerful since it adds lots of magical attack bonus, has two available slots for cards, and that it is an one-handed staff(can use a shield such as +12 Mad Bunny Special[1]). Still, I wonder, how is it possible to boost both INT and DEX to 170-180 permanently, without using temporary boosters such as consumables and skills?

You can go near those INT / DEX stats, I'll list major gears modifier below :

Have you ever heard perfect enchanted status GFSS? It can boost your status by +18 points overall

so it's either GFSS DEX+14, Special Dex [1] or GFSS INT+14, Special INT [1]

Also pair of perfect enchanted non slotted RWC accessories could give you +12 status points DEX/INT boost overall

or

Get pair of bris for ez +20 INT boost and +12 DEX boost overall

Overupgraded temporal dex boots could give you +15 dex at +15 refine

You can also keep your lovely Staff of Geffen for +20 INT boost by sacrificing your defense and damage potential

So do your total stats math now by including 120 base status on both INT & DEX and maxed job level bonus alone :heh:

Also to be noted, VCT percentage reduction and status reduction stacking in different way one with another.

Status reduction counted first followed by percentage reduction, e.g let's say you got 80% VCT reduction from status alone and then you got another 50% percentage reduction from gears. The total VCT reduction you would get will be 90% in total and not 130% VCT reduction.

Ash CMIIW :p_smile:

#16 LordYggdrasill

LordYggdrasill

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2830 posts
  • LocationWelgaia

Posted 15 February 2017 - 08:45 AM

You can go near those INT / DEX stats, I'll list major gears modifier below :

Have you ever heard perfect enchanted status GFSS? It can boost your status by +18 points overall

so it's either GFSS DEX+14, Special Dex [1] or GFSS INT+14, Special INT [1]

Also pair of perfect enchanted non slotted RWC accessories could give you +12 status points DEX/INT boost overall

or

Get pair of bris for ez +20 INT boost and +12 DEX boost overall

Overupgraded temporal dex boots could give you +15 dex at +15 refine

You can also keep your lovely Staff of Geffen for +20 INT boost by sacrificing your defense and damage potential

So do your total stats math now by including 120 base status on both INT & DEX and maxed job level bonus alone :heh:

Also to be noted, VCT percentage reduction and status reduction stacking in different way one with another.

Status reduction counted first followed by percentage reduction, e.g let's say you got 80% VCT reduction from status alone and then you got another 50% percentage reduction from gears. The total VCT reduction you would get will be 90% in total and not 130% VCT reduction.

Ash CMIIW :p_smile:

Yeah I did the Math. I can raise INT to 173(120 Base, 13 Job Bonus, 20 via Staff of Geffen and 20 via one Bris), and DEX to 173 as well(120 Base, 8 Job Bonus, 12 from another Bris, 15 from Temporal Boots, ) with just the gears you recommended, and they can be further increased by cards and other unmentioned gears. So its totally possible to achieve 170 INT/180 DEX or 190 INT/170 DEX, aka 100% VCT Reduction.

However, as mentioned by the posters from above, Staff of Geffen is actually an enough weak staff, and some gears such as +15 Temporal boots are either impossible to get or will cost tens of billion zeny. I have created my own idea for this using gears, and I believe its better than the Stats approach:

Headgear(top & middle): +9 Crown of Deceit[1] with KK Card(-29% VCT)

Garment: +9 Fallen Angel Wings[1]Spell 6 Spell 6 Spell 7(-30% VCT)

Footgear: +9 Temporal Dex Boots[1] Spell 5(-9% VCT, -0.5 FCT)

Accessories: 2xRWC 2012 Pendants[1] Spell 3 Spell 3(-32% VCT)

This is a total of 100% VCT reduction too, and the gears are a lot cheaper as I only need +9 gears rather than +15. I can invest more money into the expensive equipment such as +15 Crimson Rod[2], +12 Mad Bunny Special[1], and an armor I havent decided yet. Most of those equipment also have card slots that will make it very flexible for me. The downside is that I wont be able to wear a mid-headgear, so say goodbye to new wave sunglasses. The total cost will be around 2-4 billion zeny, which is much more affordable to me. And of course, I will end up with a lot more MATK and damages as well.

#17 Kusanagisama

Kusanagisama

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4243 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 09:05 AM

Your damage will be lackluster with those gears, though. :P And Spell 5 enchant give -10% VCT, and are not available on slotted Temporal Boots yet.

#18 LordYggdrasill

LordYggdrasill

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2830 posts
  • LocationWelgaia

Posted 15 February 2017 - 10:01 AM

Your damage will be lackluster with those gears, though. :P And Spell 5 enchant give -10% VCT, and are not available on slotted Temporal Boots yet.

Well what do you mean by lackluster? I know its not for maximum output, but with +15 Crimson Rod[2] and +12 Mad Bunny Special[1], the damage will not be bad at least. Anyway it will have to be a healthy balance between MATK and Cast Time. I will probably end up choosing a mid-ground that both criteria are reasonably good in the end, since I havent reached Warlock yet with my current level I have enough time to think this through. So what is your idea for a maximum damage/MATK warlock build? What are the equipment and gears you need? I'd like to compare the difference in damages and cast time, and also the amount of zeny I need to invest.

btw, thanks for pointing out the Temporal Boots, I guess I will have to discard the card and use +9 Temporal Boots Spell 5 with Runaway Magic then. 

Edited by LordYggdrasill, 15 February 2017 - 10:06 AM.

#19 Kusanagisama

Kusanagisama

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4243 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 12:53 PM

Warlocks damage is already subpar if compared to Rangers in all levels, and to RKs and Genes in Higher levels, because of how MDEF works. If you don't try to max damage, you'll fell weak. I know this by my own experience, also, there's a LOOOONG thread here about it, though I admit that I never tested COD with Crimson Rod and MBS, and that the current warlock's state in the game is not the same as when that topic started and that made it last for years.

Also, there's a trap to warlocks in renewal because in pre-renewal Wizards and High Wizards were self-sufficent damage-wise, and had mainly to focus in reducing the casting time. This is no longer true, and VCT will only bother you until you have less than base 120 INT and DEX, and max Radius (BTW, don't max radius from the start, but get level 1 as soon as you can). After that, when your damage stops being enough to one-shot monsters, having 5~10% less total VCT will not make that difference, specially because FCT will keep hindering you, and you won't be able to do anything about it.

For hats, as I've stated before, the Ordinary Black Magician Hat is THE HAT for warlocks. When they're +9, the will give you:

- +5% MATK

- +10% damage with Crimson Rock/Earth Strain/Jack Frost

- Bypass 28% of enemy's MDEF (specially useful against MVPs)

I recommend that you keep at least 3. One with Red Lichtern Card (for Crimson Rock/Fire Tetra), one with Tikbalang Card (Chain Lightning/Wind Tetra) and one with Yellow Lichtern Card (Soul Expansion). Probably now it will be nice to have one with Blue Lichtern as well, for Water Ball. XD

Tomorrow they will bring a box that will have a pair of shoes (Pororoca Shoes) that will be the new META for Warlocks footwear. Look for the box contents thread in the main forums. Also, with this, Crimson Rods will leave the META... -_________-

EDIT: This is the thread > https://forums.warpp...ject-to-change/

Edited by Kusanagisama, 15 February 2017 - 01:03 PM.

#20 Casval17

Casval17

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1376 posts
  • LocationAxis Debris

Posted 15 February 2017 - 06:33 PM

Yeah I did the Math. I can raise INT to 173(120 Base, 13 Job Bonus, 20 via Staff of Geffen and 20 via one Bris), and DEX to 173 as well(120 Base, 8 Job Bonus, 12 from another Bris, 15 from Temporal Boots, ) with just the gears you recommended, and they can be further increased by cards and other unmentioned gears. So its totally possible to achieve 170 INT/180 DEX or 190 INT/170 DEX, aka 100% VCT Reduction.

However, as mentioned by the posters from above, Staff of Geffen is actually an enough weak staff, and some gears such as +15 Temporal boots are either impossible to get or will cost tens of billion zeny. I have created my own idea for this using gears, and I believe its better than the Stats approach:

Headgear(top & middle): +9 Crown of Deceit[1] with KK Card(-29% VCT)

Garment: +9 Fallen Angel Wings[1]Spell 6 Spell 6 Spell 7(-30% VCT)

Footgear: +9 Temporal Dex Boots[1] Spell 5(-9% VCT, -0.5 FCT)

Accessories: 2xRWC 2012 Pendants[1] Spell 3 Spell 3(-32% VCT)

This is a total of 100% VCT reduction too, and the gears are a lot cheaper as I only need +9 gears rather than +15. I can invest more money into the expensive equipment such as +15 Crimson Rod[2], +12 Mad Bunny Special[1], and an armor I havent decided yet. Most of those equipment also have card slots that will make it very flexible for me. The downside is that I wont be able to wear a mid-headgear, so say goodbye to new wave sunglasses. The total cost will be around 2-4 billion zeny, which is much more affordable to me. And of course, I will end up with a lot more MATK and damages as well.

Well goodluck resetting those account bound RWC pendants then :heh:

I'd opt for slotted MATK% accessories w/o account bound limitation& RNG gambling tendency instead or Magician's Glove when they enters iRO in the age of earth's first Intergalactic wars :heh:

Tomorrow they will bring a box that will have a pair of shoes (Pororoca Shoes) that will be the new META for Warlocks footwear. Look for the box contents thread in the main forums. Also, with this, Crimson Rods will leave the META... -_________-

EDIT: This is the thread > https://forums.warpp...ject-to-change/

Good lord I stashed 50s of those Lacryma Sticks for safe cert project, I guess I wont stop at +8 now for 100% MDEF Piercing :heh: 

#21 Kusanagisama

Kusanagisama

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4243 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 06:51 PM

Good lord I stashed 50s of those Lacryma Sticks for safe cert project, I guess I wont stop at +8 now for 100% MDEF Piercing :heh:

I had a lot of them too, but I certed them!!! :sob:

#22 LordYggdrasill

LordYggdrasill

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2830 posts
  • LocationWelgaia

Posted 16 February 2017 - 11:43 AM

Well goodluck resetting those account bound RWC pendants then :heh:

I'd opt for slotted MATK% accessories w/o account bound limitation& RNG gambling tendency instead or Magician's Glove when they enters iRO in the age of earth's first Intergalactic wars :heh:

I've already got two Lacryma Sticks, it took quite a bit of KP but its worth the efforts in the end. So Lacryma Sticks will be the next big thing, and will replace Crimson Rod?

#23 Kusanagisama

Kusanagisama

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4243 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 03:52 AM

Not always, but probably in most circunstancies.

#24 LordYggdrasill

LordYggdrasill

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2830 posts
  • LocationWelgaia

Posted 17 February 2017 - 05:09 AM

Not always, but probably in most circunstancies.

I see, I was ready to buy a +15 crimson rod, but now I will have to reconsider. btw, how much MATK does +15 Crimson Rod add without the +x% bonus? I heard Ashuckel said that it has 397-606 MATK in this thread.

https://forums.warpp...-cap/?p=2518172

Edited by LordYggdrasill, 17 February 2017 - 05:12 AM.

#25 Kusanagisama

Kusanagisama

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4243 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 08:29 AM

The problem is that most of it's MATK is Equip MATK, from which recognized spell won't benefit. So, it makes the comparison a little bit more complicated.

Also, the question is not only about your MATK, but mainly about the enemy's MDEF, which is the greatest multiplicative factor affecting your damage. So, it goes around your MATK, the enemy's race and MDEF, and now, which hat are you wearing too, since OBMH will not neccessarily be the best in slot for warlocks. XD

It all can be calculated, but I'm too lazy to do it now. XD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users