FIXED: Private Message Flooding Bug - WarpPortal Technical - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

FIXED: Private Message Flooding Bug

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

My Offline Life is Nonexistent.

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Sakray->Iris->Ymir->Chaos

Posted 22 July 2010 - 11:53 AM

Whenever someone sends me a PM or I send someone a PM, the site starts going haywire and spams the PM mercilessly. Please look into this, as it's quite irritating to have my inbox fill up the instant someone sends me one simple PM.

This issue is being actively looked at in the present moment. If you encounter this, please note the following and report it here to assist us in tracking down this bug:

• Time when you noticed it occurred (and what time zone).
  • Time when the system reported as having sent you the notification.
  • What was the notification about? And the link to the topic or post, if it is a forum topic or post notification.
Any assistance in information in regards to this, is much appreciated. Thank you.

Edited by Kamuro, 25 July 2010 - 03:10 AM.
Put information request notice.

#2 Madvillainy

Madvillainy

I made it Off Topic

• Banned
  • 16 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 22 July 2010 - 11:55 AM

This issue has been reported and should be resolved now. Try sending a PM again and if you are still experiencing issues plese feel free to PM me so we can investigate it further!

#3 Blaze

Blaze

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 53 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 22 July 2010 - 12:12 PM

My WarpPortal ID Card at the top right keeps telling me i have 321 messages and its stuck like that even though i have emptied "New" and "My Conversations".

My Storage says i have used 0% of my quota so it knows that my messenger is empty, but the ID has frozen with 321.

#4 Lawly

Lawly

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 56 posts
  • LocationCliche Land

Posted 22 July 2010 - 12:19 PM

Your situation is a bit like mine. Whenever someone posts a comment onto my profile, i get around 74 notifications stating that the person has started a conversation with me(even though they posted one comment.)This causes my messenger inbox to be spammed :x

#5 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 02:11 PM

Still having problems. Sent the PM.

#6 Cleffy

Cleffy

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2377 posts
  • Playing:Requiem

Posted 22 July 2010 - 08:30 PM

I kept my notifications at default. Then I came on to discover I had 73 personal conversations to 1 comment on my profile. Needless to say I changed the settings, but there is something in the default settings that is looping.

#7 Heimdallr

Heimdallr

Too Legit To Quit

• Community Managers
  • 3654 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 08:34 PM

I kept my notifications at default. Then I came on to discover I had 73 personal conversations to 1 comment on my profile. Needless to say I changed the settings, but there is something in the default settings that is looping.

Yes there is something loopy with the notifications. But that has nothing to do with the Gateway Program.

#8 Cleffy

Cleffy

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2377 posts
  • Playing:Requiem

Posted 22 July 2010 - 10:28 PM

From a quick glance I did not see the Warp Portal support forums.

#9 Voodoo

Voodoo

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 45 posts
  • LocationAlaska, USA

Posted 24 July 2010 - 05:41 PM

I got 332 messages from PeppermintDream saying that a conversation was started. It seems to be a bug because we've only talked 2 times haha. I was able to delete the first 332 messages, but when Peppermint posted another comment on my profile another 331 appeared.

http://img835.images...5/2006/985s.jpg

http://img810.images...0/1851/986l.jpg

Images are somewhat large, so I avoided posting them here.
I hope this doesn't happen every time and I'm curious if we're the only ones experiencing this.

#10 Kaizy

Kaizy

Original Potatoe

• Members
  • 1110 posts
  • LocationPLAYING LEAGUE OF LEGENDDDDDDDDDDDDSSSSSSSS
  • Server:cal'smom

Posted 24 July 2010 - 07:43 PM

Same thing happened to me.

#11 Kamuro

Kamuro

Technical Administrator

• Community Managers
  • 60 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 08:10 PM

Thank you for your report.

This is being looked at and your report is being included in my investigation of this with our web development team. Thank you for your submission, if this continues, please feel free to post more occurrances and information so that I can correspond this event with logs.

Kaizy, if you can post or message me with information as to when it occurred to you, it would be appreciated.

#12 MeCCa

MeCCa

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 08:49 PM

http://forums.warppo..._2757#entry2757

future reference

#13 Kamuro

Kamuro

Technical Administrator

• Community Managers
  • 60 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 03:06 AM

This issue is being actively looked at in the present moment. If you encounter this, please note the following and report it here to assist us in tracking down this bug:
  • Time when you noticed it occurred (and what time zone).
  • Time when the system reported as having sent you the notification.
  • What was the notification about? And the link to the topic or post, if it is a forum topic or post notification.
Any assistance in information in regards to this, is much appreciated. Thank you.

#14 Kaizy

Kaizy

Original Potatoe

• Members
  • 1110 posts
  • LocationPLAYING LEAGUE OF LEGENDDDDDDDDDDDDSSSSSSSS
  • Server:cal'smom

Posted 25 July 2010 - 07:13 AM

Thank you for your report.

This is being looked at and your report is being included in my investigation of this with our web development team. Thank you for your submission, if this continues, please feel free to post more occurrances and information so that I can correspond this event with logs.

Kaizy, if you can post or message me with information as to when it occurred to you, it would be appreciated.

Happened 7/24 11:41 AM Central. Someone commented on my page and it spammed my messenger with over 120+ messages.

#15 fear

fear

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • LocationHere There and Everywhere
  • Playing:ROSE Online
  • Server:Draconis

Posted 25 July 2010 - 07:45 AM

same happened to me this morning my pm box had 350 messages in it.
the message came from a deleted user it says.

#16 Kamuro

Kamuro

Technical Administrator

• Community Managers
  • 60 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 08:53 AM

same happened to me this morning my pm box had 350 messages in it.
the message came from a deleted user it says.

Could you provide me with an exact time so I can correlate this with logs on my end?

#17 Kiehl

Kiehl

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 09:09 AM

Could you provide me with an exact time so I can correlate this with logs on my end?

Just reproduced the issue, I received a PM and 128 notifications "<USER_NAME> started a new personal conversation with you"

* Time when you noticed it occurred (and what time zone).
19:59 CET (GMT +1)

* Time when the system reported as having sent you the notification.
20:00 CET (GMT +1)

* What was the notification about? And the link to the topic or post, if it is a forum topic or post notification.
The notifications has been received after a private has been sent to me.

Thanks in advance for investigating the issue.

#18 JamesHawkwind

JamesHawkwind

I am New.

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 01:55 PM

This seems to occurred to me now.

#19 JamesHawkwind

JamesHawkwind

I am New.

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 01:58 PM

Actually when I attempt to reply to your post, I also get a 500 error, and it takes a long time to post the reply.

#20 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 07:05 PM

Happened to me again.

Time when you noticed it occurred (and what time zone): noticed it around 9PM PST.

Time when the system reported as having sent you the notification: According to the spam, 7:58PM.

What was the notification about? And the link to the topic or post, if it is a forum topic or post notification:

Someone started a conversation with me (sent me a PM).

#21 Kamuro

Kamuro

Technical Administrator

• Community Managers
  • 60 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 02:34 AM

So, after several days and sleepness nights of debugging, it turns out to be an erroneous configuration. Why the forums allow you this option in the first place still boggles my mind.

When you set all notifications to â??Personal Conversationâ?, a loop occurs. Because when the option to â??Notify me when someone quotes my postsâ? by â??Personal Conversationâ?, it...
1.) Sends you a â??Personal Conversationâ? about the quoted post, then proceeds to...
2.) â??Notify [you] when [you] receive a new personal conversationâ? about that â??new personal conversationâ? for â??someone quoting [your] postsâ?, then...
3.) â??Notify [you] when [you] receive a new personal conversationâ? about another â??new personal conversationâ? for a â??new personal conversationâ? about â??someone quoting [your] postsâ?, then...
4.) PROFIT!!!(with a 500 error or a full mailbox, whichever comes first)

In all cases, the â??Private Messagesâ? section should NEVER EVER have â??Personal Conversationâ? as the notification method. Thus, this option has been disabled and forced to an â??Inline Notificationâ? for everybody. You have no choice as to the notification method for this one.

May this bug rest in pieces as the vicious cycle has been broken. Hurray! Thank you all for your reports and assistance in this debugging.

If you still encounter issues with this problem, please post here or PM me.

#22 Kiehl

Kiehl

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 06:52 AM

I noticed an improvement but that seems to be not completely fixed yet.

* My wife sent me a PM at 17:15 CET (GMT +1)
* I received only the message and no notifications... Great!
* I replied to the PM (17:27 CET GMT +1) and after a long time and some errors, I've found my message appearing 3 times in the conversation.
* My wife received 556 messages in her inbox

Thanks in advance for looking into it

Edited by Kiehl, 26 July 2010 - 06:53 AM.

#23 Kamuro

Kamuro

Technical Administrator

• Community Managers
  • 60 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 07:13 AM

I noticed an improvement but that seems to be not completely fixed yet.

* My wife sent me a PM at 17:15 CET (GMT +1)
* I received only the message and no notifications... Great!
* I replied to the PM (17:27 CET GMT +1) and after a long time and some errors, I've found my message appearing 3 times in the conversation.
* My wife received 556 messages in her inbox

Thanks in advance for looking into it

Please have your wife PM me for assistance. (Or you can PM me with that information).

#24 Kiehl

Kiehl

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 08:35 AM

Please have your wife PM me for assistance. (Or you can PM me with that information).

The information has been sent by my wife through PM.
I write for her since she doesn't post on the forum cause her English isn't good.

Thanks a lot

#25 Doddler

Doddler

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1035 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 29 July 2010 - 01:32 PM

Still happening to me... I got a PM from ChrisVideosTv and it sent me 173 notices of a new 'conversation'. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users