Classic: A Serious Concern - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Classic: A Serious Concern

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

#1 Myzery

Myzery

They pay me to post.

• Banned
  • 6670 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 23 March 2017 - 10:46 AM

I am not trying to start flame wars here. If you want to flame, please take your opinions elsewhere.

I know a lot of people think the Classic server is a joke. However, it is meant to be an option for people that prefer the nostalgia of old mechanics or that want to relive past experiences with friends, or even alone.
As it stands though, Classic is a Frankenstein of a server where certain "Classic" features are not implemented, or where gross Renewal power creep is implemented.
The main problem with both of these is that there is never answers or feedback for these choices. iRO oversees the production and implementation of these updates or lack there of.

It is extremely insulting to be a customer paying for a game and never getting feedback. More recently in the Classic maint thread, two issues have arisen.

One being St. Patrick's hats being put back in without a slot. This has been in the game before and there is no reason to offer a non slotted version now.
It comes down to pure laziness.

Another problem is the deaf ears on implementing KvM. Anyone that played in the past knows that KvM was released before Renewal ever got here.
This patch went a long way in balancing certain classes. It also made some classes insanely strong. That is besides the point.
When you have guilds that have 14 megs among other things, KvM is the last of your worries. That is no shade either, all of them were earned through hard work and dedication. However, if the population was healthier, who knows what it would be like.
Moving on, a big concern with KvM is abusing it with packets. This could easily be fixed and users like Themes have provided incredible alternatives that would be easy to implement and fun for players. Again, this has fallen on seemingly deaf ears.

There's a ton more things we could go into like Renewal gears and consumables being put into the server, but that's the least of it.

<snip>

The reason this should be a concern is that another official server is offering a seemingly more appealing alternative to iRO Classic and lets face it, the majority of people that are still playing are either too invested or are only there for friends. I personally expect an exodus of a good chunk of players regardless, unless our server is made more appealing.

Edited by CMAstra, 23 March 2017 - 10:54 AM.
Unnecessary insults to staff; criticism could do without it.

#2 LouisLu

LouisLu

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 319 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online

Posted 23 March 2017 - 10:54 AM

good job!

although not sure what you're trying here

can you explain it in an easy way?

#3 Myzery

Myzery

They pay me to post.

• Banned
  • 6670 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 10:55 AM

To get more attention and to have people actually play Classic.

#4 Myzery

Myzery

They pay me to post.

• Banned
  • 6670 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 10:58 AM

Thanks for editing my post Astra, but Ozallia does seem out of touch a lot of the time. I also realize he's fairly new still, but for someone that only posts in the Classic section, you have to draw the line somewhere.
Not trying to be a backseat dev or anything, I just feel like a lot more can be done. Simple things. Actually, I know they could be done to great effect.

Edited by Myzery, 23 March 2017 - 10:58 AM.

#5 Toxn

Toxn

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3511 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 23 March 2017 - 11:03 AM

ThRO having a PreRenewal Hybrid, TwRO having a PreRenewal server (With the 2010 Renewal client on it too), and now EuRO polling to see if there is interest in a PreRE server over there...Good luck to iRO Classic.

Edited by Toxn, 23 March 2017 - 11:04 AM.

#6 aaadvanced

aaadvanced

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 158 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona
  • Server:Classic

Posted 23 March 2017 - 11:07 AM

I agree, KVM would give new guilds a quick opportunity to easily gear up and be able to compete with a guild that has 14 megs? 10? (VH). I also agree that they shouldn't have been implementing a slot and non slot version of St Pat. hat. That is DUMB! I also feel for you as another paying customer and feel like our server is being neglected / treated as a joke. I've heard from many players submitting support tickets not getting help for grief play in-game (myself included) as well as many other issues.

You can just join on the iRO community discord and hear from the players themselves saying the GMs won't do nothing about KSing / Grief play, AlphaD0g harassed me for a week! As well as friends of mine! I got a response saying they would monitor him in-game. (No monitoring / nothing was done)

I hope a good change does come soon, I'm getting tired of spending money and feel as if we players are being treated like a poo poo hat!

Edited by aaadvanced, 23 March 2017 - 11:11 AM.

#7 Myzery

Myzery

They pay me to post.

• Banned
  • 6670 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 11:07 AM

Yup, that's the major concern, Toxn. People would gladly play with 100+ ping (which seems to be the only downside other than WoE times).

Edited by Myzery, 23 March 2017 - 11:08 AM.

#8 KriticalAssassin

KriticalAssassin

They pay me to post.

• RO Fungineering
  • 9322 posts
  • LocationBehind you?
  • Server:Chaos- Renewal

Posted 23 March 2017 - 11:09 AM

More-so a problem relating to all the servers including Renewal, bugs take ~10-15 years to get fixed, people blatantly cheat with no punishments, WoE has been pretty dead for a while with promises of a fix at the end of this year?

iRO needs to hire someone to do some pure CM stuff where they can sort out more of the community issues, as is, seems like we have no real staff to relate between the community and getting stuff fixed.

#9 zerowon

zerowon

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 941 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 11:09 AM

Battle ping and it's no problem euro looking not too bad

#10 Toxn

Toxn

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3511 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 23 March 2017 - 11:12 AM

Pretty much, if the results of EuRO's poll ends up with them making a PreRE server, Classic is going to be pretty unappealing to ever log into.

#11 Campitor

Campitor

Darned Forever

• RO1 Production
  • 11063 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 11:14 AM

ThRO having a PreRenewal Hybrid, TwRO having a PreRenewal server (With the 2010 Renewal client on it too), and now EuRO polling to see if there is interest in a PreRE server over there...Good luck to iRO Classic.

Does TwRO have the prerenewal formula? Every time we ask about the it we get told we can have a renewal with prerenewal ish settings but the damage/def formulas would match renewal.

#12 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • Twitter:@nekoxellie
  • LocationValhalla
  • Server:Europe ban!

Posted 23 March 2017 - 11:33 AM

Honestly a lot of Classic's problems won't be fixed by adding KVM (It might create a few more issues depending on implementation) and what I see as the problem is this.

The staff don't respond to things unless they are zerged by lots of players at once screaming and shouting, or look, myz isn't even active on Classic. (nothing personal) - but they won't listen to Classic players over issues that have been raised countless times unless it's certain people (sorry it feels that way)

The client issues in installation can probably be fixed but never are, the patch notes (I'm sorry ozallia) are constantly containing mistakes that pertain to renewal not classic. Even the game rules for the server are based on Renewal because treating classic like it's own game is too hard.

#13 Ashuckel

Ashuckel

'-' intensifies

• Members
  • 18996 posts
  • LocationJohto, Hoenn, Unova, Kalos, Alola

Posted 23 March 2017 - 11:39 AM

I'd play classic if it was classic, but it is a pserver abomination so meh

#14 Campitor

Campitor

Darned Forever

• RO1 Production
  • 11063 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 11:42 AM

Honestly a lot of Classic's problems won't be fixed by adding KVM (It might create a few more issues depending on implementation) and what I see as the problem is this.

The staff don't respond to things unless they are zerged by lots of players at once screaming and shouting, or look, myz isn't even active on Classic. (nothing personal) - but they won't listen to Classic players over issues that have been raised countless times unless it's certain people (sorry it feels that way)

The client issues in installation can probably be fixed but never are, the patch notes (I'm sorry ozallia) are constantly containing mistakes that pertain to renewal not classic. Even the game rules for the server are based on Renewal because treating classic like it's own game is too hard.

Have you tried the recent installer? The one we uploaded in February should have had the no client info fix already built in as well as the appropriate DLLs.

Unfortunately some of the patching/sprites can only be fixed if we grow the classic client by about 1-2 gig of space which is all the art assets in the renewal data.grf

Currently what the game does is when you run the classic patcher it loads the data.grf into memories. Then it loads the cdata.grf into memory on top of that, which over writes any conflicts. Then if the event stuff is enabled it will load the event.grf on top of that. Which is why we should be telling users to always patch their renewal client as well.

It is my understanding that this was originally done to save download size as the game client would be about 4-6 gigs over all should every art asset be duplicated into the cdata.grf.

#15 Demeris

Demeris

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2213 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 11:44 AM

Classic had it's chance when it first came out. I, and many other of my friends came back to the game because of it.

Personally, I would suggest all players to play renewal for the game mechanics. I think it's better for players getting into the game. However, if you're into the whole kawaii qt afk in town looking sprites, Classic is the way to go.

I wish iRO would bring in jRO designs ASAP though. The ugly 3rd class sprites makes a bunch of players I know stop playing because they don't want to walk around in rags. There's a reason why jRO made alternatives...

tldr: You honestly can't fix Classic when there are better pre-renewal servers out there.

Edited by Demeris, 23 March 2017 - 11:45 AM.

#16 Campitor

Campitor

Darned Forever

• RO1 Production
  • 11063 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 11:59 AM

Please understand I hide some points for until Astra has had a chance to review them. If you want to provide feedback on this topic you can do so here: https://goo.gl/forms/ocigdd1dOjuZ3QqB2

We would much prefer that the feedback be done through the form to avoid the drama that usually happened in the past. This thread will now be locked.

If you feel that I am doing this in error you may ask Astra to reverse it when shes back in about 30 minutes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users