Classic March 30th Maintenance Thread - Page 2 - Loki Classic Patch Notes - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo

Classic March 30th Maintenance Thread

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#26 Undying

Undying

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1329 posts
  • LocationBoston
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Odin

Posted 31 March 2017 - 07:06 PM

Unfortunately do to limitations updates can never be permanent. Because we can't add new monsters.

What we can

• Change monster AI within the RO Ai system
  • Add new maps
  • Add new items
  • Add new quests
  • Change monster drops
  • Change monster stats

I think that with what we can do we would just have to be creative in making it work. It would be entirely possible to create new maps and new dungeons for a new episode. Could have new quests on it too! As for new monsters/mvps, that would require some creative aspects of finding what we can modify to fit the new episode. It is entirely doable, but honestly it would require some good advice from the community and select individuals to help Ozzalia do it properly. 

#27 zerowon

zerowon

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 941 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 31 March 2017 - 07:06 PM

reach across the isle to themes and see if you can script the conquest bg to promote pvp play and earn ur bg items people say theres a influx of gsb matts so the first few rounds would be 1 sided till ppl got some stuff going. maybe look into introducing rental woe gears/ leveling packs if they prove they have  10-24 members ready to join a server

#28 Campitor

Campitor

Darned Forever

• RO1 Production
  • 11063 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 07:09 PM

Are you considering KvM at all?

It's also pretty sad that you're ignoring the concerns being brought up for Renewal. It feels like you guys wait for a server to get to a critical state before addressing the problems.
Classic could have been saved so long ago, but feedback was never listened to for the most part. Instead of making up bastardized content, add content that was actually supposed ot be in the game, and no, I am not talking about just things like KvM.

I think most people here have only come to expect excuses. It's hard to have faith in the iRO staff when things are getting progressively worse. Maybe it's from your workload or position, Campitor, but you used to be the only one that made me feel like there was any hope out there, but now I feel like everything that is said falls on deaf ears.

I am reading that feedback today and have Ozzalia look it over. Ultimately for classic he will be doing the work so he needs to understand whats being taken on.

I am aware of that thread for renewal but this is not the forum for it, My only comment is I need to talk to the staff members from that era and find out why things were changed before I will be ready to comment on that further. 

Thank you for vote of confidence in me my big goal is to get my entire new team up to speed on everything so if I fall in a well things will still be done.

#29 Myzery

Myzery

They pay me to post.

• Banned
  • 6670 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 07:13 PM

I am reading that feedback today and have Ozzalia look it over. Ultimately for classic he will be doing the work so he needs to understand whats being taken on.

I am aware of that thread for renewal but this is not the forum for it, My only comment is I need to talk to the staff members from that era and find out why things were changed before I will be ready to comment on that further. 

Thank you for vote of confidence in me my big goal is to get my entire new team up to speed on everything so if I fall in a well things will still be done.

I know I am harsh sometimes, but I really do believe in you and I know you are passionate about your job.
It shows just by you being on here after hours. I truly do hope that Classic can be made more appealing for everyone. I had so much fun when it was more active.
Some good people still play there, but it would be nice to have it feel lively again. There's pretty much no rivalries or anything that make Ragnarok what it is. People just hate each other now.

#30 Campitor

Campitor

Darned Forever

• RO1 Production
  • 11063 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 07:14 PM

I think that with what we can do we would just have to be creative in making it work. It would be entirely possible to create new maps and new dungeons for a new episode. Could have new quests on it too! As for new monsters/mvps, that would require some creative aspects of finding what we can modify to fit the new episode. It is entirely doable, but honestly it would require some good advice from the community and select individuals to help Ozzalia do it properly. 

One of the weird things is the ghost type monsters (like angeling's mob) are hard coded to look like a Poring so we can't reuse those else where or they would have been a good source of monster entries.

#31 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • Twitter:@nekoxellie
  • LocationValhalla
  • Server:Europe ban!

Posted 31 March 2017 - 07:14 PM

How many spare monsters (to cycle) are available for challenge dungeons and how many hats do we have left? 

because you know eremes scarf and black cat are critical classic updates. 

#32 Undying

Undying

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1329 posts
  • LocationBoston
  • Server:Odin

Posted 31 March 2017 - 07:23 PM

One of the weird things is the ghost type monsters (like angeling's mob) are hard coded to look like a Poring so we can't reuse those else where or they would have been a good source of monster entries.

If you want to do a unique and custom update for Classic, which would be the biggest news in the Classic world in years..... There are a lot of things that need concrete answers. 

-How many monsters are available?

-What is the goal of the update? (see spoiler below)

-What new towns/maps?

-What new gears?

-Specific question.. When you say that we can create "items", does that mean gears (other then headgear)?? If so that is huge.

-Most importantly, would WP/you ever consider investing the time/resources in doing so?

Those are mostly rhetorical, but there has to be a purpose for the update. The spoiler below is my opinion on what it should look like...

Spoiler

Edit: Just wanted to say thanks Camp for spending some time in here answering some questions and giving Classic some attention. We all love this server, but (imho) it needs new content to survive or flourish. A lot of people have a variety of suggestions for what needs to be done to "save the server". I think it can all be boiled down to simply offering new things to do and new gears to collect or "balance" woe. So, thank you again for your time.

Edited by Undying, 31 March 2017 - 07:28 PM.

#33 Themes

Themes

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1412 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 08:06 PM

I'll write something up in a bit. But using existing monster sprites and Ghost monsters is probably going to be fine, you can still make some great themed dungeons without requiring "new" monsters. The 13 you have available is probably enough for short term events or pop up dungeons.

#34 Themes

Themes

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1412 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 10:48 PM

Classic is not and has never been truly "classic". Classic is a WP Pre-Renewal server that is it's own unique thing and should not be compared to "original" servers. The only thing that can revitalize this server, besides a reset, would be new gears. New gears = new builds = new things to do = new things to test out = new meta = new experiences...... 

Honestly this is one of the most fun parts about RO for me, new gear creates new opportunities for new builds and ideas. Unfortunately Classic has not made everything available while adding some things that werent before (and werent really balanced well). I understand that some people will really not like the addition of new items because it breaks "Classic" but if they are well done it will make things much more interesting.

The new box and hat certificates seems to be a nice step in the right direction for making items available year round, as this has traditionally been a very frustrating part of playing on Classic.

I am all too aware that we need to close the books on the old Janeway, Treasure Cache and other projects. Once we can get those knocked out would the community be willing to help Ozzalia balance a few challenge dungeons so they feel properly classic? He doesn't know this yet but I am planning to massively increase his work load in April.

Last year I made a small effort to try and get your attention in these threads asking simply "What can we do to help make Classic better?" and never got a response so I gave up. There are plenty of passionate people here who I'm sure would love to make Classic better. If he would like to open communication here or make himself available to learn a little bit more about Classic I'm sure people would be receptive.

Like I said above, you can take a book out of the Renewal updates and run Nightmare CT/TF/GH. There's plenty of Ghost monsters that are currently unused for various reasons which I will link to after this and you can design content using these that would work exactly the same way as the current Challenge Dungeon does.

I know I am harsh sometimes, but I really do believe in you and I know you are passionate about your job.
It shows just by you being on here after hours. I truly do hope that Classic can be made more appealing for everyone. I had so much fun when it was more active.
Some good people still play there, but it would be nice to have it feel lively again. There's pretty much no rivalries or anything that make Ragnarok what it is. People just hate each other now.

Yeah I feel pretty bad for going on blast for the last few weeks, but I'd started having fun playing RO again over Christmas and any development work seemed to have fizzled out. It doesnt help that you made the conscious decision to step away from the community and it's a pretty big thing to lose you being an active voice around here.

If you want to do a unique and custom update for Classic, which would be the biggest news in the Classic world in years..... There are a lot of things that need concrete answers. 

-How many monsters are available?

-What is the goal of the update? (see spoiler below)

-What new towns/maps?

-What new gears?

-Specific question.. When you say that we can create "items", does that mean gears (other then headgear)?? If so that is huge.

-Most importantly, would WP/you ever consider investing the time/resources in doing so?

Those are mostly rhetorical, but there has to be a purpose for the update. The spoiler below is my opinion on what it should look like...

Edit: Just wanted to say thanks Camp for spending some time in here answering some questions and giving Classic some attention. We all love this server, but (imho) it needs new content to survive or flourish. A lot of people have a variety of suggestions for what needs to be done to "save the server". I think it can all be boiled down to simply offering new things to do and new gears to collect or "balance" woe. So, thank you again for your time.

Ok so here's what we have available:

• Anthors list of Ghost monsters (this is old, some of these have been used in the Challenge dungeon): 
  • My list of real monsters (this is also out of date, Hazy monsters have probably been added using this list): 

Towns and maps? We're short New World and we can probably visually implement almost any Renewal Town if needed.

Gear? "Classic" gear we're missing is mostly the New World Gear (Cids list, some of these were added into the Challenge Dungeon), KvM gear and some of the other misc items (Crown of Deceit, cant think of many more honestly).

Yes, I believe creating weapons and armor is possible. See the Cursed Armor Set (Hat/Body/Garment/Accessory/Boots). I dont know what the deal is with the weapons, as the Janeway items never got animations, I dont know if this was a limitation or just something that got overlooked during implementation. So your Earth/Wind Twin Blades are entirely possible.

I've thought a little bit about how to free up some more monsters and honestly they just need to do more with instances, we've proved with Hazy that we are able to implement instanced content. There should be a rotation of instances with 1 or 2 up at once. Use Nidhogg, Hazy and any other custom content in. Make them all have similarly useful rewards and timers and just push them in and out every week or two. I'm sure people will complain about moving Nidhogg, but it's lack of an entry requirement kind of sucks.

#35 darkabe

darkabe

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 02:27 AM

• We can't add new pets (I think - I haven't tested this one yet.)

Can you edit the currently existing pets effects? We still have many of those not working properly.

#36 Xplay4eva

Xplay4eva

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 260 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 02:59 AM

They need to make things worth while to log into... I haven't been able to play WoE on any server due to school, but I'm logging into Chaos everyday.... Why? Because there are quick and easy profitable instances to do daily. Doesn't take much time and I can make 1b a week with lazy/short game play. 

Also this, there is constantly new gears coming out in Renewal. Since OCP has come, every single month there is a new "best of" specialty gear. Classic has default the same exact gears for years... There is no incentive to improve gears. There is no incentive to log in and do anything once you are WoE/PVP ready. There is nothing new on classic. Literally nothing new since I last logged in. I logged in the other day to find out what I have to gear my scholar with to be "caught up" with everybody. It is the same exact gears as 2-3 years ago....

I had a slightly different take on the scenario. If Classic concentrated on being the best "classic" that it can be then I think it would be ok without trying to directly compete with Renewal. What I mean is new updates are not necessarily needed but rather the existing contents could be refined into pristine condition.

Hazy dungeon

Challenge dungeon

(& any other extra additions) these are already really good for post pre renewal areas. Balancing them still needs a lot of work but as starting points, they are good enough for the moment.

Where I think the focus could be is on ironing out end game activities and some manner of daily quest like you mentioned. We don't need to reinvent the wheel, only put in some oil and tune it up a little. If PvP or Battlegrounds can be made rewarding enough without being unfair to newbies then that would be a step in the right direction and also give high level'd characters something to do.

Of course if we are looking at end game options, those feed off of what happens before that point. So to define a pvp mode and to keep it fair we should look at how much of a min/ max between characters there can be before the fight would become too one sided. This would include gear, stats, potions and skills. Maybe I should say that the goal would be for a minimum powered character (or team of minimum powered characters) of the appropriate level to have a chance to win against an opponent who is near the maximum amount of power. Even if it is only a tiny chance.

(I am referring to a match of pvp)

That is where there should be consideration of whether or not to restrict trans jobs and the like. However since Classic is already several years old at this time, one of the most realistic methods to address the question would be the nuclear option. (only with permission from a majority)

Like many of you I have invested a lot into my characters on the Classic server and I can understand not wanting to lose that. But if there were an extremely good reason for it, I would be willing to consider a wipe. Not because of desperation but because I think the suggestion could actually work out good in the long run.

End game power can always be added back later but reducing the gap between the min/ max power of players will probably only become harder as more time passes. (they say that one cannot put a genie back in its bottle)

In the other thread I also mentioned the exp rates, which could have a large effect on game play. (some community feedback is needed in a lot of parts for this)

I am all too aware that we need to close the books on the old Janeway, Treasure Cache and other projects.

Actually I love Janeway! :p_love:

The only things I would change about her is if there was a reset and a rebuild then her kill counts could be adjusted to match the slower experience curve.

I would go a step further and have her give out a high level kill count quest for a more powerful Janeway weapon. (perhaps a super weapon for each class?) Having them invisible is not a problem in my book. I say we roll with it!

The Janeway bow causes the character to punch arrows. One time I made an Archer just so I could have one of these items!

The nuke (only with a majority vote) is one option among many but from what I have heard, it still sounds like a plausible choice. Its hard to imagine a better solution to some of the more entrenched issues.

Edited by Xplay4eva, 01 April 2017 - 09:32 AM.

#37 Rastaban

Rastaban

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 06:08 AM

I realize that I am answering a really old question you asked with this. Our limitations on classic are as follows

• We cannot add new monsters
    • We can edit current monsters
  • We cannot add new headgear looks
    • We can replace certain headgear looks to introduce better looking sprites. Usually prime candidates for this are trademarked headgears we can't use or the country themed flag hats.
  • We cannot change formula
  • We cannot change skill cool down
  • We cannot change buff persistence.
  • We cannot create new skills
  • Some newer headgear types don't won't on classic
  • Back items won't work on classic
  • We cannot edit crafting recipes
  • We can't add new pets (I think - I haven't tested this one yet.)
  • We can't change skill, level, or stat caps

Is there is anything specific about our abilities you'd like to ask I will try to answer it this weekend.

What are the nature of these restrictions and why can't they be bypassed? 

Given what can be accomplished with the client, I can only assume it has to do with kRO.

#38 Themes

Themes

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1412 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 09:36 AM

The executable and zone servers are unable to be modified in any way. Things like monsters and hats are hardcoded to ID numbers. So you can add new monsterIDs to the database, however your client cannot see them.

kRO have said that they do not have any of the newer executables or the code to compile them, which is why we dont have the stat orbs and sadly its not as easy as dragging and dropping an executable from Renewal.

I'm a little curious about a couple of the statements from Camp. The server I was using did have functionality to modify buff persistance and maybe another thing or two on that list. We can still be creative but something like Hazy and the Challenge Dungeon need a lot of small adjustments to properly tweak them and they just havent happened. This was why the test server was a good idea, you can bring it down and apply a change without touching the actual server.

Edit: I should say unable to be modified in any official way, there was some talk of people hexing in monsters to the zone servers, but I doubt the GMs would be willing to experiment here.

Edit2: Another thing I was thinking of is hijacking the dungeon teleporter vote, I cant remember the last time it was successfully voted for. Lets change the warp locations/npcs or make the vote for -_- like Ice Dungeon vs AL3.

Edited by Themes, 01 April 2017 - 07:26 PM.

#39 MrWhisp

MrWhisp

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 81 posts
  • LocationChicago, USA
  • Server:iRO - Classic Loki

Posted 02 April 2017 - 05:00 PM

OMG, please, no "nuke" ! I am playing for only about 1.5 years when I have some free time (which is rare), have just collected only some useful gear which allows some lvling (only one advanced character so far), and restart of the server would just kill any reason to play for me.

#40 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 02 April 2017 - 05:15 PM

There's so much that can be done without nuking the server (Classic's #1 problem is POPULATION), what we really need is staff time.

Things can be fixed from there, attention to little details like the global announcements (yes we know hazy forest was put in last year) have a huge impact on the game experience.

I would highly suggest looking at increasing pvm activity first, because that grows the rest of the game, the economy, woe players etc. Look at the different classes of players and what can be made for them.

Your socializers need people to talk to, put in small minigames that gather people.

Your achievers need something to achieve, put in new gear/gods.

Your PVPers need someone to play vs.... well they exist to ruin the day of people who want to achieve new gods lol.

It's basic game theory but it WORKS! I do the same thing as a guildleader, I have players who exist only to socialize and they make the day good for those who want to pvm. pvmers level and supply our woe players. This isn't rocket science, just multiple the theory for the whole server. 

#41 OccultPriest

OccultPriest

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 361 posts
  • Server:Classic Loki

Posted 02 April 2017 - 05:49 PM

Yep I'd probably play again if pvm was focused on

#42 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 02 April 2017 - 05:51 PM

get your happyass back on ts and ingame, butthole. 

#43 teresias

teresias

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 652 posts
  • LocationWest Prontera / Geffen
  • Server:Loki / Chaos / Odin

Posted 02 April 2017 - 05:52 PM

Omigosh! Perky voice on TS, please.

#44 OccultPriest

OccultPriest

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 361 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 05:52 PM

Tehehehehe

#45 OccultPriest

OccultPriest

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 361 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 05:54 PM

Ok I'll log on

#46 Xplay4eva

Xplay4eva

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 260 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 05:20 AM

OMG, please, no "nuke" ! I am playing for only about 1.5 years when I have some free time (which is rare), have just collected only some useful gear which allows some lvling (only one advanced character so far), and restart of the server would just kill any reason to play for me.

You are just the kind of player I was hoping to hear from. What would it take to win you over to the nuke side? Would it help if there were a major launch event with a large and temporary exp boost? (I'm not saying they would do this, but what if)

There's so much that can be done without nuking the server (Classic's #1 problem is POPULATION), what we really need is staff time.

I disagree in part, From what I have seen, the staff has gone above and beyond for Classic. Granted my preferred game type is PVM so I don't have a lot of knowledge about PVP and WOE shenanigans but I think the other parts of the game have mostly been handled well. There are probably things that will always need revamping but hey, Classic be Classic. (shrugs)

If Classics biggest problem is population then I would really like to hear suggestions that can increase that without a fresh start. I only take it to that extreme because even with the remaining players we have, salt dominates lots of things. When you have lemons then make lemonade. I am great at making lemonade but when we have so much saltiness everywhere the lemonade is not going to taste good. I don't wanna drink salty lemonade Xellie!

WOE: Not my thing but word on the street is that small guilds get eaten for breakfast.

PVP: I'm a little interested but its not rewarding enough. This mode is supposedly unbalanced and potions make it even more unbalanced. (gap between max and not max is too huge) Expanded classes are fresh meat.

PVM: Good but not competitive due to too much Kafra.

How are any of these in their current states going to be able to attract more population? Yeah I know that Classic is a big machine with a bunch of moving parts but us players and the staff can only do so much. We can either make tiny changes here and there for a painful and long process or shut it down for a short time, fix the most critical parts and then restart afterwards. It is the least bad choice among bad choices. (that is, until someone convinces me otherwise)

I didn't intend to so heavily promote the nuke option but I also do not want to see all the Classic players get taken over by salt.

Edited by Xplay4eva, 03 April 2017 - 05:27 AM.

#47 MrWhisp

MrWhisp

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 81 posts
  • LocationChicago, USA
  • Server:iRO - Classic Loki

Posted 03 April 2017 - 07:23 AM

You are just the kind of player I was hoping to hear from. What would it take to win you over to the nuke side? Would it help if there were a major launch event with a large and temporary exp boost? (I'm not saying they would do this, but what if)

In my opinion, spotlights + vip are already a huge exp boost. If lvling would be a piece of a cake - it woud not be that interesting, you may get more players at first, but they would not appreciate their own achievements.

What is really a problem in my opinion are bots. I believe one should not search how to make this or that think not profitable for bots, but instead should ban hard for botting and implement some anti bot mechanisms that would be faster than existing ticket mechanism. Once I was hunting some small mini-boss just for a hat - but I could not because of two bots running over map constantly, 24\7 ! I submitted tickets, but nothing changed for like a week - so I lost my believe in this system. And what is going on on the maps with Strawberries drops ? A mess of bots.

Maybe, only maybe, bots are not that harmful when they are just hunting loot - but it is still unpleasant to hunt few ours for loot and realize that someone else is getting much more profit without even playing. And when mini-bosses, that spawn once in 30min get killed by non-players - thats horrible.

And what I honestly don't understand - why there are so many people complaining about server going down ? In my opinion it is completely opposite - sometime ago I was used to see ~300 people online during login, now - 500-600. I also do see new quests, new implementations (updates to the treasure system weekly!) and that GMs are reacting on the community opinion - one of the latest examples - they have added option to exchange St. Patrick hats for the slotted versions because players asked to. I read the "Classic patch notes" weekly because there is something happening all the time.

#48 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 03 April 2017 - 10:48 AM

I disagree in part, From what I have seen, the staff has gone above and beyond for Classic. Granted my preferred game type is PVM so I don't have a lot of knowledge about PVP and WOE shenanigans but I think the other parts of the game have mostly been handled well. There are probably things that will always need revamping but hey, Classic be Classic. (shrugs)

At some points in the past they have and did, but a lot of projects put into classic lack finesse or even being finished altogether. There's a lot of small attention to detail things that get noticed such as "On july 21st hazy forest was added...." It's been how long? 

Almost every maint for a while, the new hats had unreasonable or unobtainable items required (such as renewal items) and this shouldn't be corrected by players in a QA process on the forums. It does infact feel that the playerbase has no voice to the staff. 

If Classics biggest problem is population then I would really like to hear suggestions that can increase that without a fresh start. I only take it to that extreme because even with the remaining players we have, salt dominates lots of things. When you have lemons then make lemonade. I am great at making lemonade but when we have so much saltiness everywhere the lemonade is not going to taste good. I don't wanna drink salty lemonade Xellie!

Giving the remaining players reasons to interact with newer ones would help retention rate. There's only so many times an old player can stand going to ice titans. Promoting and rewarding video content creation (stream or otherwise) and the nurturing of a Classic community on the forums would go a long way. 50% of RO is interacting with other players, yet Classic cannot do so on the forum medium because of the way certain people act toward the server/players. Rather than deal with the problems or moderate, the staff just apply a block on talking about classic issues altogether. They should be fostering interaction, not stifling it. 

WOE: Not my thing but word on the street is that small guilds get eaten for breakfast.
PVP: I'm a little interested but its not rewarding enough. This mode is supposedly unbalanced and potions make it even more unbalanced. (gap between max and not max is too huge) Expanded classes are fresh meat.
PVM: Good but not competitive due to too much Kafra.

WoE: You're not wrong. There is a big guild that shows up randomly and just runs everyone over via numbers, then it vanishes again for months. This is symptomatic of there being nothing to actually achieve. 

PVP: is dead

PVM: again, there's a lack of things to achieve or do casually. Older players don't really need to pvm and those that do are "invisible" in guild dungeon or biolab. 

How are any of these in their current states going to be able to attract more population? Yeah I know that Classic is a big machine with a bunch of moving parts but us players and the staff can only do so much. We can either make tiny changes here and there for a painful and long process or shut it down for a short time, fix the most critical parts and then restart afterwards. It is the least bad choice among bad choices. (that is, until someone convinces me otherwise)

As I said, PVM improvements are the key to growing the server. PVM players feed WoE players. PVP comes naturally with a bigger population. 

didn't intend to so heavily promote the nuke option but I also do not want to see all the Classic players get taken over by salt. 

Just personally, I know that the majority of people I play alongside would leave. Not because of items and the like, but because we did our grind fair and square and most people have moved on job/schoolwise and no longer have that kind of time. 5 years is a long time to progress in life.

#49 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 03 April 2017 - 10:56 AM

When I say lack finesse, I mean stuff like this

SOxPg7i.png

#50 Xplay4eva

Xplay4eva

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 260 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 02:40 PM

Giving the remaining players reasons to interact with newer ones would help retention rate. There's only so many times an old player can stand going to ice titans. Promoting and rewarding video content creation (stream or otherwise) and the nurturing of a Classic community on the forums would go a long way. 50% of RO is interacting with other players, yet Classic cannot do so on the forum medium because of the way certain people act toward the server/players. 

As I said, PVM improvements are the key to growing the server. PVM players feed WoE players. PVP comes naturally with a bigger population. 

Just personally, I know that the majority of people I play alongside would leave. Not because of items and the like, but because we did our grind fair and square and most people have moved on job/schoolwise and no longer have that kind of time. 5 years is a long time to progress in life.

Ok, you are not wrong on a lot as well. Mainly I will agree with the bit about finesse but for those of us who have hung around for a while, things like that will probably not be a deal breaker.

I hear what you are saying on the other points but without a major action, the most that is going to be doable with Classic is band aid fixes. And even the best one of those in the world is not going to make a drastic shift in numbers. To address some of the "core" issues we need to meet them on a "core" level.

For example, lets say that today you just decided to join Classic and are now a novice on the server. How long would it take for the rookie you, to be able to compete with the strong version of you? Probably a really long time but what I am trying to get at is the current Classic has a humongous gap between level 99 characters. Which means even if a player grinds it out to 99 they still might not be any kind of a match to someone of the same level.

Maybe a few will be willing to go that extra mile and get cards, gear and transcend but most would probably rather quit. If the top of the mountain is too high and not seen as achievable then there could be a shortage of people willing to take on the challenge.

In light of that, the answer could be to lower the top of the mountain. That way the gap does not get as big. Rare gears should be looked at, the stat and skill bonuses after trans and other things I'm sure. As of now, Expanded classes have no role at 99. They can still show up but they would be far outclassed in almost every category. And I guess that is partly how they were designed but if we want to make life at 99 as interesting as possible then we want to include as many odd jobs and players as possible, right?

The current Classic population is scattered all around, so there is not a way to lower the power gap and to still have it be fair. Not unless the change is done on a global scale.

To clarify, by restricting trans and going down to x1 rates, it would hopefully change PvM for the better. Trans levels are like 50-70% of a characters game time so it should still even out and maybe be slightly easier. This could encourage more newbies to try Classic and reduces the end game gap, which could lead to less players getting discouraged. It is the best idea that I can think of to get a big and sustained bump in numbers. (tho I like the server when it is small and quiet as well)

Getting to 99 would be a lot more difficult but also possibly a lot more rewarding if we can get the balance right.

If I'm just going to be cannon fodder, then I would avoid PVP too. If players think they actually have a chance, then we might see more action.

What you say about people maybe not having time for it also rings true. I myself would not give any guarantees about how long I would play but I am thinking more about the welfare of the Classic population as a whole. It would not be fun to lose what has already been earned but I think it is a worthwhile sacrifice for long term gain. I see the choice as 1. we keep what we have but some systems are a little broken or 2. we lose everything but get to fix some of what is broken.

I think making those long term fixes is worth the cost. In the short term it would be a drag but just think of the others who would then be able to start their own adventures.

(besides a wipe would not be too bad for experienced players who already know how to train and make progress, although I know it would still probably sting)

And finally I don't believe we should be trying to make Classic 2.0 with a lot of add-on's and extra modifications. Once the central core is developed and stable I think we should mostly leave it be. (with all the current stuff and works in progress included) Classic should be Classic, we should not try and turn it into Renewal.

Well this is a lot to digest. Anyone can feel free to disagree or make comments where appropriate.

Edited by Xplay4eva, 03 April 2017 - 02:56 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users