[Concern] Loading Screens Qualification - Creative Contraptions - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

[Concern] Loading Screens Qualification

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
80 replies to this topic

#1 allygator1

allygator1

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 232 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 30 March 2017 - 03:58 PM

I don't want to sound elitist or anything, but I sort of feel like maybe there should be at least a minimum quality level for submissions to be accepted.

#2 IJNRakki

IJNRakki

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 108 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Thor

Posted 30 March 2017 - 04:53 PM

I don't want to sound elitist or anything, but I sort of feel like maybe there should be at least a minimum quality level for submissions to be accepted.

I decided to submit one myself due to a similar reason

#3 Road

Road

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 229 posts
  • Server:Renewal

Posted 30 March 2017 - 04:56 PM

its interesting when you notice some "artists" request " Green Creative Convention Hat " as a prize..........

it makes me question how much effort they are putting in and if they actually doing it for profit.

and this is when i believe we cannot have nice things D: i really hope they will not make the "Green Creative Convention Hat" account bound.

this should not even be an issue for the GM to have to worry about. D:! 

people should show some sort of effort!

i understand that some people cannot draw and they should be rewarded but then it should be a prize thats account bound for them to enjoy. not to abuse the system.

Edited by Road, 30 March 2017 - 05:05 PM.

#4 Myzery

Myzery

They pay me to post.

• Banned
  • 6670 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 05:51 PM

Some of these aren't even trying. I don't care if they get prizes, but I hope that some of these sincerely don't get chosen as loading screens.

#5 Lovens

Lovens

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 05:57 PM

Eww. Smelly Ally!  :sob: 

But yes. As much as I enjoy looking at other people's artworks, you can really tell who just posts squiggles for hats to sell in Eden and who really try to put in 1% of their time to make a decent-looking loading screen. Don't get me wrong, I don't really care about the hat business - if people want to make money then oh well. It's just not exactly fair to place all the qualities in one category and just give everyone the leniency of the same prize without consideration. Just my opinion though.

I'm also pretty sure this conversation also happened in another thread.

#6 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

My Offline Life is Nonexistent.

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts
  • Server:Sakray->Iris->Ymir->Chaos

Posted 30 March 2017 - 06:47 PM

This is exactly what they were asking for by offering participation prizes. People really shouldn't be surprised this is happening and it's not going to stop.

#7 Akreis

Akreis

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1232 posts
  • LocationEarth
  • Server:Chaos/Loki/Thor

Posted 30 March 2017 - 08:30 PM

You can be bad at art and still put in a lot of effort, it doesn't mean you can half-butt an attempt just for a prize or a feature. We understand that it's not easy, but it's not an excuse to just scribble something up in Paint in 10~20 minutes. (though this just gave me an idea for an art contest)

There are people who make art who aren't the greatest but you can clearly tell that they put the time and effort into their artwork, and they deserve recognition and a prize.

Also, screenloaders that don't actually fit the proper required canvas size shouldn't be featured without getting properly fixed (ask for help if you need to). Having them stretched across the screen just ruins the artwork and doesn't make the GMs look good for letting it be in the game like that.

GMs need to be more strict with what they use as screenloaders as well as making sure people follow the rules/requirements (please).

Edited by Akreis, 30 March 2017 - 08:37 PM.

#8 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 08:55 PM

I personally think it's disrespectful of the CMs to consider MS Paint scribblers to be on the same level as actual artists and award them similarly, but what can you do? :U

#9 ShenYuel

ShenYuel

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 128 posts
  • LocationPayon

Posted 30 March 2017 - 09:02 PM

I personally think it's disrespectful of the CMs to consider MS Paint scribblers to be on the same level as actual artists and award them similarly, but what can you do? :U

so... you´re telling me im not at same lvl?....VemOjUU.jpg

#10 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 09:21 PM

so... you´re telling me im not at same lvl?....

Do you consider yourself a scribbler like the ones we've been mentioning? An artist can use MS Paint well, a scribbler just scribbles something without much thought. If you support people who aren't artists and just scribbling for the sake of participation prizes, then I guess we'll just agree to disagree.

#11 ShenYuel

ShenYuel

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 128 posts
  • LocationPayon

Posted 30 March 2017 - 09:53 PM

Do you consider yourself a scribbler like the ones we've been mentioning? An artist can use MS Paint well, a scribbler just scribbles something without much thought. If you support people who aren't artists and just scribbling for the sake of participation prizes, then I guess we'll just agree to disagree.

yeh, i just want to show theres can be a good drawings using MS Paint, and like someone said up there i don't what that kind of draw/scribble in loading screens, i think it should be a good art to be in the server loading screens, so we agree to dissagree

#12 Akreis

Akreis

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1232 posts
  • LocationEarth
  • Server:Chaos/Loki/Thor

Posted 30 March 2017 - 10:01 PM

To scribble is to draw something carelessly/recklessly. And that clearly wasn't scribbled in (it looks great!). Though there is a difference in types of scribbling between an artist and the average joe too, but that's besides the point!

You can use MS Paint to create good things, but many don't try to sadly

Edited by Akreis, 30 March 2017 - 10:04 PM.

#13 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 11:03 PM

At this point, we shouldn't even try to draw something good since we can get rewarded for something as simple as stick figures anyways. Everyone should just make stick figures for hats.

#14 yamasakai90

yamasakai90

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3028 posts
  • LocationUnder the Ground
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 31 March 2017 - 12:44 AM

I was wondering when was this discussion coming up  :p_hi: . Been on my mind for a while. 

Don't worry Zero, someone will draw a LINE when it comes to STICK FIGURES.  :heh: (Stolen from you know who when you read this).

Is it possible to just reward them but not get choosen for the loading screen? Rewarding for effort, bravery and for trying is one thing... but seeing them over for a month.  :p_swt:

But then again, its quite hard to judge when someone has put an effort or not cause we don't know their 'talent'. Some might draw really well quickly and some may draw horribly but they took a long time.

#15 jamdonutjam

jamdonutjam

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1273 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 31 March 2017 - 01:49 AM

one guy was spamming the thread with subpar submissions, and when the CMs let it through, others saw an opportunity to mock or profit i guess

#16 rueth

rueth

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 03:59 AM

I was wondering about that today and suddenly I saw the concerns about it pop up like you guys read my mind. I came back to RO a couple weeks ago and was surprised to see some of the loading screens. Not to try and judge on some people and their level of talent, but looking at some entries I'm really sure some weren't even trying.

But then again, its quite hard to judge when someone has put an effort or not cause we don't know their 'talent'. Some might draw really well quickly and some may draw horribly but they took a long time.

This is true, but it is not hard to look at the official arts and draw from that to make some characters/monsters/towns/whatever look even remotely like they belong in RO. A square body and a circle for a head doesn't mean anything. Maybe they do want the headgear and they can't draw, sure, but some level of effort would still be appreciated for submitting with others who really do try. For some, you can tell even if they don't have much experience in drawing, they have put effort in creating a scene/scenario or little details for you to recognize the class. That's effort and I applaud them.

Of course it's ok to welcome art at any level but I will echo some people who posted here about their concerns as well.

#17 Darksorrow1234

Darksorrow1234

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2996 posts
  • Server:Chaosss

Posted 31 March 2017 - 04:25 AM

thank god someone made this thread. Everytime i saw that disfigured doram, i feel like punching my monitor  :wall:

#18 allygator1

allygator1

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 06:44 AM

I'm pretty sure it would be visually obvious as to who actually put in some effort into their drawing, vs someone who did not care and scribbled something extremely fast with little to no concern about quality.

I understand that we're trying to encourage participation, but I think we should maybe encourage people for doing a little more than just submitting that was done with little effort.  

Perhaps we could extend the acceptance of loading screen beyond just drawings?  Maybe photographs of something RO themed as well.  Not everyone can draw, but I'm sure people have other talents out there such as baking or sewing.  Or maybe just taking pictures of something that looks RO related IRL?

#19 rueth

rueth

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 07:12 AM

I'm pretty sure it would be visually obvious as to who actually put in some effort into their drawing, vs someone who did not care and scribbled something extremely fast with little to no concern about quality.

I understand that we're trying to encourage participation, but I think we should maybe encourage people for doing a little more than just submitting that was done with little effort.  

Perhaps we could extend the acceptance of loading screen beyond just drawings?  Maybe photographs of something RO themed as well.  Not everyone can draw, but I'm sure people have other talents out there such as baking or sewing.  Or maybe just taking pictures of something that looks RO related IRL?

I think that's a great idea allygator! I do remember past loading screens with some cosplays or some couples photos for Valentine's .

Although understandably RO has a dwindling population through the years so we don't have as much creative peeps compared to before.

Those who want to get creative but can't draw, can try in other areas, yeah. I'd love to see RO plushies or cookies 8D

#20 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 07:50 AM

At least back when they didn't offer participation prizes, people actually put in the effort to draw since they had to compete with everyone else. Take out the competitiveness and you get tons of mediocre submissions just like now.

Still think the best time of the iRO art community was when art contests just got your stuff featured in the game. It was more of an honor to have your art as a loading screen back then. Now it's just a dime a dozen and it's really sad. People come here and think "hey, I don't even have to be an artist to participate in an art event, I can either scribble something in MS Paint or just upload a commission I paid for!" How do they expect artists to be motivated to contribute good stuff when that's the attitude now?

#21 ShinobiEX3

ShinobiEX3

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6862 posts
  • LocationForest

Posted 31 March 2017 - 08:08 AM

Sad but what can u do? Everyone is equal right >.>

#22 gabuie

gabuie

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 419 posts
  • Server:Not classic

Posted 31 March 2017 - 08:16 AM

ok ya you may not be bad at drawing in ms paint but majority of people who are submitting scribbles are using paint. they are using the shape tools to create something with just geometric shapes. i understand not everybody can draw which is fine, but there's a difference between putting some effort into it and just putting 5 mins in(you can obviously tell which ones). i think they should add more variety for submissions like ally said photography,knitting,cooking,etc. this can give people more options and possibly get more quality submissions. also i feel like there's a lot of "spam" in the loading screen thread...i feel like there's 1 person just scribbling something and then creating a new account to post whatever they made as a loading screen...but ya overall i feel like they should higher their standards

#23 allygator1

allygator1

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 08:20 AM

I think I'd like to see something creative, like someone running around the city with a fitbit or whatever and draw out a peni poring via running.

#24 KamiKali

KamiKali

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 5143 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 04:54 PM

Loving all these 1 post accounts submitting sh1t load screens with hidden ropd characters. 

#25 Myzery

Myzery

They pay me to post.

• Banned
  • 6670 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 05:50 PM

Another thing that I have a problem with is that more than half of them aren't even RO themed. Maybe they are just abstract, but RO art has piqued more than a few people I have met over the years to play the game.

Helen Keller was capable of more and she was blind.

Edited by Myzery, 31 March 2017 - 05:51 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users