[Announcement] Stepping away from the Forums - Dragon Saga Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

[Announcement] Stepping away from the Forums

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Popcorn

Popcorn

Woodie-Holic

• Dragon Saga Staff
  • 5559 posts
  • LocationGermany, Europe, Earth, Milky Way, Universe
  • Playing:Dragon Saga

Posted 29 May 2017 - 09:01 AM

Hello Dragon Saga Community,

due to recent happenings and the growing amount of work I have since the knowledge about the development of the game is increasing I decided to step away from the part of the community work. That means I am no longer available on the forums for discussions which are not of technical nature (patcher problems, error messages, bugs, etc.). Technical problems do not include game related topics. Also everyone feel free to report abuse/exploits/bugs to me by PM. I won't have the time to answer PMs which are not related to technical issues and reports. My decisions also includes to no longer participate in livestreams since these are too time consuming.

Thank you for the good time here on the forums and I hope you will continue enjoying the game while it is evolving.

Edit: To prevent confusion I should mention that the game is still being developed and I will stay as the Dragon Saga developer. I just wanted to say good bye to the forum people to let them know that I won't be as often around here on the forums as before also not answering topics as often as before. 

I was on the forums for a long time (since end of 2014) so I just thought the people who were with me on the forums for 2 1/2 years deserve an information about it.

Best wishes,

-Popcorn - Dragon Saga Developer

#2 FeintsSiphon

FeintsSiphon

Amateur Blogger

• Banned
  • 109 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 09:27 AM

Welp...who is gonna develop Dragon Saga?

#3 TurtleTuber

TurtleTuber

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 327 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 29 May 2017 - 09:30 AM

he talked about stepping away from community work like posting on discossions/ threads. The forum stuff.. locking topics for example. He still will post in topics about bugs and so on and will still go on developing as far i understood that.

#4 Popcorn

Popcorn

Woodie-Holic

• Dragon Saga Staff
  • 5559 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 09:33 AM

Welp...who is gonna develop Dragon Saga?

I stay as the developer.

#5 VaNak

VaNak

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 09:41 AM

This announcement may cause some players to sell game accounts because they think the game will stop developer. Im Sad

#6 Popcorn

Popcorn

Woodie-Holic

• Dragon Saga Staff
  • 5559 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 10:01 AM

Edited the initial topic and topic title to prevent confusion.

#7 Popcorn

Popcorn

Woodie-Holic

• Dragon Saga Staff
  • 5559 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 10:18 AM

This announcement may cause some players to sell game accounts because they think the game will stop developer. Im Sad

There is no need to be sad. I changed the text a bit to prevent confusion. See it the other way: I have more time for the development now :)

#8 FeintsSiphon

FeintsSiphon

Amateur Blogger

• Banned
  • 109 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 10:28 AM

Who is gonna lock topic? Jk.

#9 Coolsam

Coolsam

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4997 posts
  • LocationHiding from my Subscribers
  • Server:revreS

Posted 29 May 2017 - 10:32 AM

Well it's understandable as to why. However one thing I've been meaning to ask is regarding Volunteer Moderators for the forums. Pretty much all of them for Dragon Saga are inactive/quit the game for long periods of time now. I attempted to ask CM Dragonlark about this however I had not received a reply.

I feel as one or two new VM's will aid well in the forum-side of things. Allowing you, the developer, to continue work with less of a load.

#10 zirothos

zirothos

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 704 posts
  • LocationZirothos entertainment Studio
  • Server:MLG PVE

Posted 29 May 2017 - 12:36 PM

it's understand able since the game development take so much time.   Wasting some in forum and live stream make less time to work on new content and bug fixing.

it was nice to have you around on the forum for all those time we will miss you :p_cry: :p_hi:

and about the VM yea maybe we should need more to moderating :p_err: and do the topic locking :p_devil: on the forum

Edited by zirothos, 29 May 2017 - 12:36 PM.

#11 SandySandman

SandySandman

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 330 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 01:25 PM

/removed 

Edited by SandySandman, 30 June 2017 - 07:41 AM.

#12 theprofme

theprofme

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 48 posts
  • LocationSilistra, Bulgaria
  • Server:D`Best

Posted 29 May 2017 - 05:45 PM

GooD Luck BUDDY!

#13 VaNak

VaNak

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 09:13 PM

Yeaa nice, so we still have big update 31/5 <3 

Edited by VaNak, 29 May 2017 - 09:14 PM.

#14 TrustedMailbox

TrustedMailbox

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 09:44 PM

Good bye popcorn you did very very well for us

#15 sigeel

sigeel

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 412 posts
  • LocationCroatia

Posted 31 May 2017 - 07:00 AM

good luck and keep up the good work! :)

will any of the other mods on this forum have that nifty online/ under maintainance sign?

I really got used to checking the status of the server with that :(

#16 BlackDragonLord

BlackDragonLord

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 211 posts
  • LocationVoid
  • Server:Yes

Posted 31 May 2017 - 08:59 AM

Good luck with your work Mr. Popcorn. Thank you for your time with us!

#17 Popcorn

Popcorn

Woodie-Holic

• Dragon Saga Staff
  • 5559 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 07:07 AM

Hello Dragon Saga Friends,

after the Arcadia Episode 2 Update is now finally live and almost bug free (except for the ones which will be fixed by the next maintenance) there is no need for me to continue looking over the forums. Thanks fly out to everyone for the bug reports and feedback which have been very helpful to make first-day bug fixes and adjustments possible.

If you want to give more feedback and suggestions feel free to use the forum. CM Dragonlark will forward everything to the development team. In case of bugs you can either use the forums to report them or you can write a ticket to our GM team. If you encounter abuses/cheats/exploits feel free to inform our CM or GM team for further investigation.

I wish everyone a good time in-game and a lot of fun with the newest Arcadia Update.

See you when the next big Update will be live.

#18 FeintsSiphon

FeintsSiphon

Amateur Blogger

• Banned
  • 109 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 07:22 AM

I wish there come more bugs so you can stay anyway. Anyway, who are the CM?

#19 Popcorn

Popcorn

Woodie-Holic

• Dragon Saga Staff
  • 5559 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 07:48 AM

Um... I didn't expect that answer to be honest. Lately I had more the feeling that I am annoying players and that I am good target for bashing. :) However, that's not the reason why I decided this step. As you can see our Biodome 5 is unknown to everyone and the reason is that it is made from unfinished and totally broken content and this are the first steps into the direction to be able to create completely new content. To achieve this small step I had to fix parts of the scene designer and it's still not properly working, unintuitive (no one can really use it in a comfortable way), is crashing and tends to corrupt the content. But Biodome 5 is created using the scene designer which is still broken. I would have liked to not create so many teleports and I focus on replacing them but since my time ran out and the thing was not cooperative I had no other choice. The mission maps are based on parts of the big biodome. Also these will get some graphical additions in the future. But all the monster placement and the end boss and the chaos modes are completely done manually. What I what want to say with long story is that with increasing knowledge my workload increases too. I need to fix all the tools for the artist team to create maps one day. I need to check how to export new models. I can do basic artistic things but I am not creative enough to make completely new content map-wise/monster-wise/NPC-wise. Also I need to stabilize the patcher (you know, corrupted files and such).  So the main reason is that I have a lot on my plate the next time.

But if it is really wished I can look over the forums from to time to. But I am not willing to participate in every discussion. I just want to only participate in discussion I want to participate in when I have the time. I am a person who tries to be a perfectionist where ever I can and tbh it annoys me that we had to take out the elemental debuff effects for further investigation. Finally it looks like the constant crashes were more a hardware issue than the element debuff effects but we will see.

Why I am writing that is not to start discussions about the update here in this topic - please keep that in the already available topics. I just wanted to explain why I have to step away a bit more from the forums. I hope everyone understands that step. For me it's more important to create quality updates than discussing in forum topics.

You might see me here and there answering or making a joke or helping out for technical problems or bugs. But I will not be as active as I was in the past.

The CM is by the way Dragonlark.

#20 FeintsSiphon

FeintsSiphon

Amateur Blogger

• Banned
  • 109 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 09:24 AM

One good thing from you is that you have always been a voluntary developer. Disciphering observations from players is not easy even with unlucky verbalization; you were frustrated, your feeling got hurt, but either of you wanted that. Eventually you made it and now you're working harder.

The factor that players are loyal to WarpPortal is that WarpPortal legally owns the game and there is developer team so future comes with new content (and even semi-monthly new events). Everyone appreciates that but just remind you not to be alike those Korean in the past. There are still flaws that begin from the beginning and defile gameplay, that you call abuse. Majority was offended, no matter whether they knew about that or not. I'm repeating that humans have instinct to be efficient, "work smarter not harder" and I believe that you have that ability too, don't you think? I know changes are inevitably uncomfortable but necessary, for good after all and for the long run. Players need compensation, doesn't need to be fair but at least they know they are not neglected. That's one respecting way to keep or attract players. I played other MMO and I see what is broken, probably after this Monday, I come up with another suggestion that would reorganize everything; beside there is still scam. Nobody likes it. Blame the game, don't blame players.

Beside, relationship between developers and players are not really close. Yet, that's not players want. In order to head right direction, developers need to communicate more with players. Q&A stream is one step but on forum, they are not active. I know they are busy but spending time with players is totally worth.

I can't tell whether I should be happy or not when you leave (bittersweet rather?). There would be less topic locked by you and players have more opportunity to express their ideas. There are still more things for Warpportal to learn from other successful company as well.

#21 Popcorn

Popcorn

Woodie-Holic

• Dragon Saga Staff
  • 5559 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 11:07 AM

One good thing from you is that you have always been a voluntary developer. Disciphering observations from players is not easy even with unlucky verbalization; you were frustrated, your feeling got hurt, but either of you wanted that. Eventually you made it and now you're working harder.

The factor that players are loyal to WarpPortal is that WarpPortal legally owns the game and there is developer team so future comes with new content (and even semi-monthly new events). Everyone appreciates that but just remind you not to be alike those Korean in the past. There are still flaws that begin from the beginning and defile gameplay, that you call abuse. Majority was offended, no matter whether they knew about that or not. I'm repeating that humans have instinct to be efficient, "work smarter not harder" and I believe that you have that ability too, don't you think? I know changes are inevitably uncomfortable but necessary, for good after all and for the long run. Players need compensation, doesn't need to be fair but at least they know they are not neglected. That's one respecting way to keep or attract players. I played other MMO and I see what is broken, probably after this Monday, I come up with another suggestion that would reorganize everything; beside there is still scam. Nobody likes it. Blame the game, don't blame players.

Beside, relationship between developers and players are not really close. Yet, that's not players want. In order to head right direction, developers need to communicate more with players. Q&A stream is one step but on forum, they are not active. I know they are busy but spending time with players is totally worth.

I can't tell whether I should be happy or not when you leave (bittersweet rather?). There would be less topic locked by you and players have more opportunity to express their ideas. There are still more things for Warpportal to learn from other successful company as well.

First of all I am paid for the development. I started doing things voluntary but since I am officially a dev I am contracted. 

The other thing I can't agree with you is that we didn't try to communicate with the players. 

I always tried but lately the communication mostly consists of bashing, ranting, whining and negativity. That can't be called "communication". This is just to wreak the frustration on me. I can deal with that until a certain point but there is a "red line" when I say I just go and do my work instead of being the scapegoat for everything which is going wrong with this game or what players think it's going wrong.

People want fixes, people want less cheating, people want less abuse and people want updates. I am not able to do that at the same time. This game was a wreck when we got the sourcecode and still after doing so many bugfixes, abuse prevention, updates it's still in a state which I wouldn't call stable or even healthy code-wise. 

Every time I want to implement something new (like the blinking blue light in the new quest line) I have to fix bugs from the former development team first. Finally I am working on several things in the background players can't see or even know about because for non-developers it's naturally that a game can do such things. I am okay with them not knowing, this is why I am a developer and the players are the players.

Finally I just have two wishes:

the first is that people do realize that I can't make everything happen at the same time and the second is that not everything anyone wants to see can be realized for different reasons. Without sounding rude it's then up to the individual to decide if they want to get used to it - to live with it - or to admit that for them the game is going into the wrong direction and finally decide what they have to do. You can't satisfy a big group of players (and compared to Dragon Saga 2014 the group of players is significantly increased) the same. People have different imaginations how things should be working or not and finally it's up to the team to decide what we think it's the best for the game. And also those decisions are not uncontroversial.

#22 Agitodesu

Agitodesu

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1978 posts
  • Server:None

Posted 04 June 2017 - 12:40 PM

Well it's understandable as to why. However one thing I've been meaning to ask is regarding Volunteer Moderators for the forums. Pretty much all of them for Dragon Saga are inactive/quit the game for long periods of time now. I attempted to ask CM Dragonlark about this however I had not received a reply.

I feel as one or two new VM's will aid well in the forum-side of things. Allowing you, the developer, to continue work with less of a load.

We have a ton of Vms. Like stormhaven and chimichonga ;)

Sayonara popcorn, may the high blood pressure ease and all goes well leaving the forums enchanted with toxicity. May you be healed with that nurse waifu.

Edited by Agitodesu, 04 June 2017 - 12:47 PM.

#23 Coolsam

Coolsam

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4997 posts
  • LocationHiding from my Subscribers
  • Server:revreS

Posted 04 June 2017 - 12:45 PM

We have a ton of Vms. Like stormhaven and chimichonga ;)

As I've stated previously. Both VMs areally currently in an inactive phase, Stormhaven will pretty much drop off the face of the earth. Chimichonga however is currently on hiatus until further notice.

#24 Agitodesu

Agitodesu

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1978 posts
  • Server:None

Posted 04 June 2017 - 12:47 PM

I can still contact both anytime.

#25 FeintsSiphon

FeintsSiphon

Amateur Blogger

• Banned
  • 109 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 12:51 PM

You call that bashing, ranting, whining and negativity in your perspective, a negative way. In fact, I think those are opposite, vital to developing game because they observe, just like you but in another perspective. I agree that typing is easier than coding but their ideas are not baseless and guess who cares about the game? They and you. You can discern between a troll and negative feedback, there is a threshold in between. It's true that there will be like and dislike simultaneously yet you being a developer is not a developer, is trust that players put on you to develop. That makes forum interesting, community interesting and game interesting. Just curious if WarpPortal does have statisticians for developers to conduct conclusion based on unbiased surveys, which is important but unseen.

I didn't particularly say you didn't communicate enough. You are part of the team, you are not only one developer, but also Alteris who plays bigger role in the game. Not just players need to talk with you but someone else. Did you notice the chat bar during stream? Much more crowded than the place called forum where everything should be discussed more freely, topics aren't locked. More than that, Earth is round, not everyone can participate the live stream and leave their questions there.

By the way, what's in your list to fix current flaws and underdeveloped features? Just a question but the answer could make an impact.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users