VinylDorayaki

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 659 posts
  • LocationVirtual Reality
  • Playing:Dragon Saga
  • Server:Disboard

Posted 22 June 2017 - 03:40 PM

It seems like every links that leads to the old DS wiki will lead to the new wiki, but I am needing some materials and pictures that can only be found in the old wiki, is it possible to bring the old wiki back for now while the new wiki is under construction? 

Edited by VinylDorayaki, 22 June 2017 - 03:40 PM.

#2 Blueness

Blueness

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 443 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 22 June 2017 - 08:47 PM

Try this link: you might have to do it in an incognito window:

http://ds.irowiki.org/old/Main_Page

#3 Vienna

Vienna

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 311 posts
  • LocationiROWiki.org Admin
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 22 June 2017 - 08:49 PM

We're currently working migrating things to the new wiki. Or moreso it seems *I* am with someone else doing some other housekeeping and updating. So with only 2 people it's a slow progress. Moving a wiki with a solid host and FTP access to the gamepedia wiki is extremely tedious. If I had a way to get FTP access and bulk dump the images I would have made much more progress on moving it, but alas. I do not. The only option is to upload one image at a time and as many images as the wiki has I'm not that motivated.

#4 VinylDorayaki

VinylDorayaki

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 659 posts
  • LocationVirtual Reality
  • Server:Disboard

Posted 22 June 2017 - 08:51 PM

Try this link: you might have to do it in an incognito window:

http://ds.irowiki.org/old/Main_Page

It works perfectly, thanks a bunch !  :p_idea:  :no1:

#5 Blueness

Blueness

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 443 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 23 June 2017 - 12:10 PM

Remember it will only be up till August 1st, so people need to get kraken on moving things over!

#6 Silver19

Silver19

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 12:16 PM

I've been transfering some things but I'm not home currently, when I get back I'll resume!

#7 TurtleTuber

TurtleTuber

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 327 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 02:02 PM

Am i the only one who finds the old wiki better? It has a quite simple style, is less confusing to navigate because there are no ads everywhere..

The new wiki looks so overstuffed.. :(

Why the old one has to close in first place?

Edited by TurtleTuber, 23 June 2017 - 02:03 PM.

#8 Vienna

Vienna

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 09:26 PM

Am i the only one who finds the old wiki better? It has a quite simple style, is less confusing to navigate because there are no ads everywhere..

The new wiki looks so overstuffed.. :(

Why the old one has to close in first place?

The choice was given to CM Dragonlark if she'd like the new wiki to continue and we try transferring the old data over to it or if we try getting people to work on the one hosted on irowiki.org. She decided we should go with the new wiki so we've been working to port data over.

No one has come to us to update the irowiki one for over a year, so we thought it was dead until I came here a bit ago to ask about what happened. No one had access to edit it since Himeyasha's disappearance a long while ago.

If the community genuinely would rather have the one hosted on irowiki stay and people actually want to update that instead, that's up the Dragonlark and the community to decide. We're still willing to host it if the community is willing to put the effort to keep it current.

#9 Precrush

Precrush

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1652 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 02:08 AM

I think it's better to have one hosted by a legimate company, no offense. That just somewhat insures that it stays up and is moderayed to a professional standard. Not saying the old one wasn't. But keeping both up at least for now would obviously be the better option.

If you want admin access or what ever I'd talk to Wagnike2 on the new forum.

#10 Vienna

Vienna

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 12:38 PM

I think it's better to have one hosted by a legimate company, no offense. 

I'm not sure I get the point of this? Gamepedia is just a host for a wiki like any other wiki host site. They're not controlling the DS wiki at all, they're just a host and do not update it. Whether is it on irowiki or gamepedia, it is still 100% community responsibility to update it. We were looking for someone to take over admin on the irowiki one and they would have had much more capability of modding a wiki hosted on a full access web host than a prefab wiki host, I would think.

I'm not offended, simply confused. It would be like hosting a blog on a blog site vs running your own copy of wordpress, you own installs are much more flexible, the same goes for mediawikis.

The amount of WORK in moving what seems to be thousands of files to something that started out with a few hundred before I started moving things. It is just a lot of time and dedication, and to me the choice would have been better suited to offer full admin rights to trusted community people and have them manage the old one and update it. I'm not picking a fight about what choices were made, simply saying it seems like more work was made for the community and I've only seen 2 or 3 names other than my own doing anything to the new wiki recently.

I've got my plate full of other things to handle now, so I don't know if I'll be able to resume file dumps on the new one. Hopefully someone will pick up where I left off before it closes on August 1st.

#11 Himeyasha

Himeyasha

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 903 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 01:58 PM

Hello.

My better half pinged me so we can ftp transfer most of it if we need to or someone who is an active player can just get admin access and just keep it as is.

I believe the wiki was fairly well organized and Blue is willing to host still.. after 8 years?

No point really in transferring and giving yourselves more work unless you really want to. 

Edited by Himeyasha, 24 June 2017 - 02:13 PM.

#12 igozuvi

igozuvi

Awarded #1 Troll

• RO Fungineering
  • 657 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Gurlz
  • Server:Classic Loki

Posted 24 June 2017 - 05:06 PM

@Vienna re: image dump, I looked through my files but unfortunately majority of the graphics I made were lost, I'm really sorry. All I have left are the graphics needed for the Skill Sim, which you could use for the wiki, files just need to be renamed. PM me if you need those and I can package that for you.

However, I agree with Nal, it would be less work to just keep the current wiki. I sent a PM to DragonLark about his access request. I'm not sure where what she will decide from there but Nal and I will maintain the skill sim independently from here.

#13 Precrush

Precrush

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1652 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 10:37 PM

They can both exist, I don't see any issue with that. It's already a shame that you cant get to the old wiki trough searching for things directly.

Again, there is an admin on the new ds forum that gets paid for working on and moderating forums. That gives it some credibility. Ofc it's mostly about the community, but having that be the case is in my opinion worth something.

#14 Vienna

Vienna

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 10:58 PM

@Vienna re: image dump, I looked through my files but unfortunately majority of the graphics I made were lost, I'm really sorry. All I have left are the graphics needed for the Skill Sim, which you could use for the wiki, files just need to be renamed. PM me if you need those and I can package that for you.

However, I agree with Nal, it would be less work to just keep the current wiki. I sent a PM to DragonLark about his access request. I'm not sure where what she will decide from there but Nal and I will maintain the skill sim independently from here.

Oh, Blue and I have all the images for everything still. It's just moving them in bulk is pretty much impossible on a gamepedia wiki.

Again, there is an admin on the new ds forum that gets paid for working on and moderating forums. That gives it some credibility. Ofc it's mostly about the community, but having that be the case is in my opinion worth something.

I still don't see the point. We offered the CM complete control of the old one... Which would make it the same thing as owning the new one. If you think we'd magically have some kinda usurping and yank everything away... Well. irowiki.org is celebrating 10years old this year so if we haven't done it in 10 years, I doubt we have any plans to =P

#15 Precrush

Precrush

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1652 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 11:19 PM

Who knows why they didn't want that. Can't speak for them.

It's been up for long the old wiki, that's why I said no offense. If I had any major complaint I'd say it with offense! But we've had talk abou the old wiki few times over the 2 years I've been here (time flies...) and the problem seems to have been that it's been hard to get in contact with and gain access to the old wiki. That's probably the main reason this whole ordeal with gamepedia started.

Since the old wiki is more up to date than the new one, all the while being not up to date at all, I'd be thankful if it stayed up for the foreseeable future along with the new one.

Edit: removed some pointless speculation.

Edited by Precrush, 24 June 2017 - 11:24 PM.

#16 igozuvi

igozuvi

Awarded #1 Troll

• RO Fungineering
  • 657 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Gurlz
  • Server:Classic Loki

Posted 25 June 2017 - 12:04 PM

i would implore the CM to keep the old wiki. transferring information is too daunting as well as unnecessary since we provided DragonLark full admin rights to our wiki. there would be a risk of losing data during the transfer.

plus, there's author ownership. somebody mentioned plagiarism earlier; it's more complicated than that, but a lot of players contributed and i authored majority of the data there and i'm not really sure how i feel about a full on copy+paste. even for that reason i would recommend keeping the old wiki to maintain author history.

i'll support any decision CMs have to make but i would request for them to consider the work we already have on the wiki and why they feel it is necessary to make a new one.

#17 Popcorn

Popcorn

Woodie-Holic

• Dragon Saga Staff
  • 5559 posts
  • LocationGermany, Europe, Earth, Milky Way, Universe

Posted 25 June 2017 - 12:17 PM

Why? This is easy. People from WP tried to contact one of you several times in the past and always got the answer that the admin is no longer available. Do you think they want to ask again and again until one of you is so kind to reply? Now that they have obtained a new webspace for it you want to show yourself in the spotlight again?

Finally, planned was that players voluntarily fill the new wiki. Maybe you should ask yourself why a new wiki is needed? Maybe because your are not reliable enough?

Also, your wiki is totally outdated and consists of a lot of wrong informations. So if anyone would copy & paste it, it would copied wrongly and outdated. My personal opinion if the players wish for a wiki is that they contribute completely new informations rather than copying anything from the old wiki.

I think it's up to Dragonlark to answer here why she wanted a new wiki before discussing about a decision that's not yours.

Disclaimer: This is not the opinion of the WarpPortal staff. This is my personal opinion.

#18 Himeyasha

Himeyasha

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 903 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 01:28 PM

And you and the community built their own wiki. That's perfectly fine. 

Please do not demonize me and the people who have hosted it for hosting it and offering to send you all the material even that which is outdated to assist with your endeavors even if we question why we can't just shove the wiki on to the community instead of getting the community to redo and edit what is already there and available with a new and better administrator than I was/am. Considering I was never contacted and my host (Blueness and Vienna) were not contacted to do that. 

Edit: I was way too pissed off. 

Edited by Himeyasha, 25 June 2017 - 01:57 PM.

#19 TurtleTuber

TurtleTuber

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 327 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 02:06 PM

didnt want to start a beef by liking irowiki more (sry popcorn :/  )

its just that i never got bullied by ads or stupid cookie messages on irowiki and that the design was more simple and less confusing. i simply liked it. would be very happy to see that it stays alive (or theat even people would update it) ! c:

Edited by TurtleTuber, 25 June 2017 - 02:10 PM.

#20 Vienna

Vienna

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 03:47 PM

Why? This is easy. People from WP tried to contact one of you several times in the past and always got the answer that the admin is no longer available. Do you think they want to ask again and again until one of you is so kind to reply?

Just putting this out there. I told Oda last year to give my email address and Blueness's email address to any Warpportal staff who needed to contact us for any reason about irowiki.org and its hosted domains and sites. We were *the* go to people since we own the server everything is on. I guess he failed to send the memo around. The conversation with him was months before he left in December.

Also, apparently people were trying the DS wiki staff contacts with no luck? I'm just a bit sour about excuse that because wouldn't it make sense to then try irowiki itself? Either a post on our forum or whatever would have gotten our attention if there was no info left by Oda like I'd asked him to do.

Regardless, Himeyasha and Co have returned in light of all of this so it is up to them to decide how to handle it now as it's primarily their creations. I take my leave but am open to PMs from anyone who needs assistance with any irowiki.org related issues.

#21 zirothos

zirothos

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 704 posts
  • LocationZirothos entertainment Studio
  • Server:MLG PVE

Posted 25 June 2017 - 03:57 PM

i already started to fix many heroes quest from lv 1 to 19 that was out dated or was just not there at all. and i will keep doing this for all heroes quest until i did them all.

just doing that on my free time so it can take a while but i will do it one lv at the time.

i already send a message to Dragonlark so she can assist me with stuff that i can't do like adding image or create link for heroes quest to add future information on them. since am not use to this kind of site

#22 Dragonlark

Dragonlark

Technically Minded

• Community Managers
  • 2738 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 07:57 AM

Hello! Sorry for my delay in posting here! I just wanted to make it clear that we appreciate all the help the irowiki admins have given for the dragon saga wiki. There is nothing wrong with liking that wiki TurtleTuber. Some stuff was outdated but it was a great wiki and a lot of people worked on it to make it awesome.

There was some miscommunication when trying to contact the wiki owner for a bit (I was contacting the wrong people so that was my mistake, I never received the information from Oda that was sent unfortunately) and when I talked it over with the CM team last week we thought it would be good to continue with the Gamepedia wiki anyway (it couldn't hurt to have two wikis anyway!)

Originally I had told wiki contributors not to copy and paste information, that they could obtain information from the DS Wiki but to translate it over in their own words. Vienna reached out to me and I spoke with the other irowiki admins as well and discovered templates could just be transferred over and started the contest with the intention that information that would be transferred over would have a disclaimer at the bottom saying where the original template came from. 

Also thank you zirothos, I am getting ready for a ROSE livestream right now but will reply to your message as soon as possible.

#23 zirothos

zirothos

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 704 posts
  • LocationZirothos entertainment Studio
  • Server:MLG PVE

Posted 26 June 2017 - 01:13 PM

i can see many wrong quest link's error after checking some quest link. i will make sure that all the link are working and link correctly. should be fairly quick (lv 1 to 19 for now)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users